Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail the Dangerous Waters! (Completed)

TripJack

Hedonist
Nuke those north koreans.

Go sub.

overtenemy

Augur
Part 8: More Like Kim DONG Il

snap1736.jpg

Gotta blow up an airport and control center with land attack missiles as mentioned previously. This is the first combat situation we've taken the Seawolf class into and I'm pretty psyched about it. The Seawolf is a newer design than the 688 and was commissioned in response to the extremely quiet Diesel/Electric subs, like the Kilo. It's still nuclear, but it's the quietest nuke sub there is. It's also fast as fuck. Goes like 50 knots I think.

snap1741.jpg

Sadly, as a trade off it doesn't have the upper external tubes of the 688 which reduces the firepower it can bring to bear at once somewhat. Worth it though. I've loaded half TLAM, which is the land attack missile, and then two harpoons and mk48 torpedoes in case I have to smack a bitch. Good to know that I have to be at 150 feet or less, and moving 6 knots or less in order to fire the TLAMs. Don't want anymore misfires.

snap1742.jpg

I guess the launch basket is where I'm supposed to fire from. The airport is marked on the map by a marker making it easy to shoot. The command center is not. Just gives me latitude/longitutde to fire at. I begin heading to the basket at a speed of 4 knots. Should be very quiet at that speed.

snap1743.jpg

Seawolf has the most futuristic displays and buttons. Deploying the port towed sonar array because it's more sensitive. I guess the starboard is less sensitive but is less susceptible to interference or something.

snap1744.jpg

So first things first. Establishing situational awareness. Taking a quick peek with the periscope, I can't see anything. But the weather appears to be a little shitty.

snap1745.jpg

The only radar emissions detected are from the airbase. I mark it just for the hell of it, though it makes no difference since I know right where it is anyway. After doing so, I receive a message from command.

snap1746.jpg

Just confirms what I already know, the base being where it is. It does advise me however to remain at comms depth so they can let me know when it's effectively disabled. On the note of comms depth, I was expecting a FFG-7 as well as a P3-C Orion to be on this mission as well based on the briefings. I was expecting link info from the Orion. It'd help, especially because the command center isn't currently marked. But there's nothing around. No friendlies, no nothing. I'm alone on this one.

snap1747.jpg

I don't see why they want me to go to that launch basket anyway. These things got killer range. I set a straight path, since I'm not sure what advantage it would afford me to make a round about plan. Maybe it makes them less likely to be shot down if they all go separate directions. But oh well.

snap1749.jpg

With fancy buttons even arming the missiles is fun!

snap1750.jpg

snap1751.jpg

Pretty long shot so they take a minute or so to get there.

snap1755.jpg

But here we are!

snap1758.jpg

Due to complete camera AIDS I missed the explosion, and I can't even tell how many of the missiles hit. It's possible some missed or were shot down. But I know at least one nailed it, and it's now considered to be 30% damaged or something.

snap1761c.jpg

Objective not complete. Also, getting to the launch basket is a primary objective so even though I can clearly hit without being in it, the mission won't be complete til I get there. That blows. Also of secondary importance that I'm not detected by anything. On that note, I really ought to check sonar. I did so briefly before, saw some crap, didn't bother marking it. Was eager to blow my load all over that airfield. But that was probably pretty silly of me to launch missiles before really being aware of my surroundings.

snap1759.jpg

Wat? The towed array is all jacked up. I'm only going 5 knots but it's acting like I'm cruising too fast to hear anything but my own fat ass. I thought maybe there was some bad weather, and ambient conditions were causing the port array's sensitivity to flair up, but I towed it in and deployed the starboard and it had the same result. The hull sonar wasn't powerful enough to detect anything, so we're currently somewhat blind, although if anything gets too loud or too close I'll still be able to detect it.

snap1762.jpg

Some time passes and another missile is loaded. Away!

snap1764.jpg

Could've sworn I got a pic of the explosion that time, but it seems the best I got was right before the missile hit.

snap1765.jpg

But hit it did and that objective, at least, is now complete.

snap1767.jpg

After zooming out far enough I also notice that the FFG-7 and P3-C missions are going out on the Western side of Korea along with a few friendly missile spewing frigates. Interesting that it's going on at the same time but unless the Orion comes this way, not very relevant or useful.

snap1772.jpg

Meanwhile, on the way to the launch basket, I notice something. The water here is very shallow, and the towed arrays are pretty long. The fact that I have it fully deployed combined with my low speed is causing it to drag on the ground, which accounts for it not working. To fix it, I increase speed to 5 knots and retract the array a bit since it doesn't have to be fully out to work.

snap1774.jpg

There we go!

snap1776.jpg

Now I can finally see. One of the contacts at least is identified as Huangfeng variant, some kind of Chinese frigate. There's a set of three spikes on either side of the dead zone. One of them is fake.

snap1779.jpg

After making a course adjustment and waiting for the array to follow suit, you'll notice that the spikes on the right are now on a completely different bearing. This identifies them as the mirror images. So we finally have some contacts to report. They're traveling a bit fast it would seem, hence the large spike. That worries me. I hope they didn't hear the missile launches and decide to beeline for me. Also, to get to the launch basket I need to head roughly 270. Because of that, the towed array will normally be dead on that bearing. But now, I can see that the coast is clear and nothing is going to surprise me in the near future.

snap1780.jpg

Or maybe he's not going so fast after all. His speed appears to be changing a great deal, but in the screen shot it's only 10 knots. Probably more like 12 actually, it doesn't look like i adjusted my cursor to the newest reading. But it eventually increases all the way to 26 knots.

snap1782.jpg

Because I'm bored and have nothing to do on the long way to the launch basket, I decide to perform TMA on one of the contacts in case shit goes down and he needs to die. It's a pain because he's clearly changing course constantly, and since I have somewhere to be I'm not interesting in constantly changing my own course and speed, which frequently helps find solutions.

snap1789.jpg

The basics of TMA from a sub is that you get the target's speed from the DEMON Waterfall as shown above, then lock that speed into your solution. Then using bearing lines taken over a certain amount of time, you try to figure out possible course and range combos that fit the data. If it fits, the green dots in the upper left will be all lined up the center line. They're barely visible because of the image scaling, but you should be able to see them with a microscope. They're all lined up. That means this is a possible solution! But...

snap1790.jpg

That range puts him ON LAND. Look on the bottom left corner of the screen. Dangerous Waters involves a lot of deduction, guesswork, and common sense. Even if there wasn't land there, that's pretty far away. It's unlikely I would be able to hear him so clearly if he was that far, if at all. At any rate, I need to find a solution that puts him closer.

snap1791.jpg

Now I got one that's in the water, but there's an island between me and him. Once again, technically impossible.

snap1794.jpg

That's better. And it's congruent with the fact that, after observing the contacts for some time, I've noticed that they go back and forth, west to east then east to west. Because his buddies are currently are least vaguely headed east, I assumed that he would be doing so as well at this point. This means that, of the possible solutions, I chose one putting him east. I'm reasonably confident that this is correct. It's unlikely that I'm dead on, because I haven't REALLY gone out of my way to get a great solution (plus I'm shit at TMA and at this game in general) but I reckon I could score a hit with a missile, if perhaps not a torpedo.

snap1798.jpg

Well thank fuck for time compression! 2 hours and 57 minutes after I began the mission, I arrive at the launch basket.

snap1799.jpg

Since I still have no confirmation on where, exactly, this command center is, I just set the 4 missiles to strike different places that are all technically within the latitude and longitude given. I don't know if these things home or what, it doesn't say, but it doesn't seem very likely that I'll score a direct hit unless they do. Or maybe the explosion is just so fuckhuge that it'll take out the center anyway.

snap1800.jpg

Here goes!

snap1802.jpg

snap1805.jpg

The first two missed I believe, but the third or fourth luckily nailed it, and in so doing revealed it on the map. Nice. Mission complete. But know what? I'm not done with these slant eye commie fucks.

snap1811.jpg

Alot of time has passed, so this dude is in a different position now. Gotta redo the solution, but the work I did originally wasn't entirely wasted.

snap1817.jpg

I add a new contact, then identify one of the older targets as a midget submarine. I couldn't find an entry in the reference about a "midget submarine" so I couldn't get its Turns Per Knot and therefore speed. The solution I laid out for it is probably wrong. But I'm giving it a shot anyway. Having fired off the four TLAMs before, I replaced them with some missiles and torpedoes. I'm going to fire all the torpedoes at the midget sub, and all the missiles I have at the Huangfeng frigate.

snap1819.jpg

I was sort of busy getting all the weapons off and forgot to take screens of the opening shots, but this explosion? This isn't even the guy I was aiming at. He's some other dude, didn't even know he was there, maybe because he's roughly on the bearing of the guy I was tracking and whenever I looked they were overlapped or something. You can see his location on the map in the upper right. Fuck I don't know and I'm not going to argue. Anyway, the two harpoons I fired both slam into this guy and he goes up in flames. I set the activation ranges differently on all three missiles I fired just in case the range for the solution was wrong, and it just paid off big. A kill I didn't even see coming.

snap1820.jpg

I've just got this missile left, a TASM. Tomahawk, made for destroying ships. Heavier than harpoon but easier to shoot down. Good thing it's heavier though, because this lone missile has to destroy this ship now.

snap1821.jpg

Weird that it's showing the ship, but it certainly makes the screenshot nicer!

snap1822.jpg

Two down.

snap1825.jpg

Back on the map, we can see the progress of the torpedoes...or the lack thereof. They actually run out of juice long before they reach the intended target. They're not shooting at S04, but S03. I should have taken it into account before I even bothered, but the range on my solution was considerably longer than the range of the torpedoes. Oops. Oh well, no harm done. I did all of it without being detected by the enemy, and though I could get closer and cause more harm, not being counterdetected is a secondary objective and I'd like to end the mission not having fucked it up.

snap1826.jpg

Suck it JONG!!

Okay, moving on.

snap1827.jpg

Even though we just kicked the shit out of these wimps, the USA is so outnumbered on the ground that Seoul was captured. Counteroffensive is being organized. As the P3, we'd have to mine various places to interdict supplies.

snap1828.jpg

FFG-7, instead of mining the waters to destroy convoys, attack them directly and kick the shit out of them.

snap1829.jpg

Now that's new. As the helicopter, we'd have to go inland and rescue politicians and important personnel from various pickup locations that will emit radar singles when we're close so that we can use ESM to home in on them.

Once again, all Kwa. I can't help but to feel partly responsible for this by being unable to properly complete the Kilo mission and instead having to defect to the capitalist pigs. But oh well, fuck China and their bullshit hand me down Ruskie subs.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, go for the black hawk down mission if it's not too difficult (read: impossible). too bad we now sided with Kwa, but that Kilo thing seems unreal to complete.

I like the update, once again you got some lucky hits. I wonder how the Russians are doing and if the game will bring back focus to it.

overtenemy

Augur
Part 9: GET TO THA CHOPPA (bet no one saw that coming)

snap1829.jpg

Fly around and rescue politicians while avoiding SAMs (surface to air missiles). I'm on it!!

snap1830.jpg

It only lets me fit hellfires to one slot. I hope that at least means multiple missiles, just coz one isn't really shit. The torpedoes obviously will not be usable over land.

snap1831.jpg

And here we are, amidst a bunch of visual contacts of our battle group. Once again starting at 666 feet. Suspicious.

snap1833.jpg

I drop the altitude as low as I can get. Flying low helps avoid radar and therefore SAMs. But the weather is shit and the chopper isn't flying very evenly. I never once managed to get a screenshot of it but trying to fly low caused me to crash and start over at least 6 times. I eventually gave up and decided to just deal with the SAMs when the time comes. Also you can see in this screenshot that there's more than one hellfire. I have four, in fact.

snap1834.jpg

As I approach land I check for radar emissions as instructed in the briefing. Got one bearing 045. Hopefully that's one of our objectives and not a SAM site. I don't know if ESM actually differentiates between SAM and "land based."

snap1835.jpg

I turn and beeline for it. Remember that the line here does not actually represent the range to target.

snap1841.jpg

Lord, almost crashing. It's really odd, but the altimeter doesn't accurately report altitude most of the time. It's usually quite off. The heli will plummet towards the Earth for no discernible reason and all the while I'll have a reading of 200 feet. Like I said, I gave up and just starting flying REALLY high. With micromanagement, flying low could be done in this situation, but fuck there's alot of flying and I want to compress time so this doesn't take mirrions of years.

snap1842.jpg

No SAMs detected yet but hey the Nimitz is here. That's pretty cool.

snap1849.jpg

The trail leads us over what appears to be a very poorly textured city. It's just flat ground with buildings textured onto it, no actual meshes and objects. But nothing to be seen of our helipad.

snap1854.jpg

The search leads us beyond the urban area and to a hill where I encounter this visual contact. The bearing on the ESM goes crazy, so this is definitely the place. Thing is, it refuses to identify. I don't know what the hell is wrong with it. I fly around for a bit, then actually try to land on the bubble manually, and of course die in a fucking fire.

snap1859.jpg

I check radar just in case. Nothing of course, but I'm getting pretty irritated at this point so I'm willing to try anything. This freaking mission helicopterscumzdgf

snap1864.jpg

Eventually I click autocrew on the pilot station. I really don't know what the fuck that does exactly but the pad gets identified instantly. Strange considering I see no functionality in that station for identifying anything but I'm not going to complain, I just want this old fat rich fuck on my chopper so I can get out of here.

snap1867.jpg

Turns out you can right click on it and select land. To spare myself some pain I just go for that. Soon after we're on our way to the pad.

snap1868.jpg

snap1869.jpg

Alrighty. Next!

snap1870.jpg

Bearing 125 ho!

snap1873.jpg

Nothing really happens, and I cruise along with time compression and realize that I've overshot it, so I have to turn northwest to get back. While I do so, I notice a mark that wasn't there before. An Orion has detected a SAM site. Interesting! But we ought to be pretty out of range. I'm not worried.

snap1874.jpg

The now familiar site of a helipad and next objective complete.

snap1876.jpg

For future reference, the ESM computer is able to tell the difference between SAM and whatever land based is supposed to be. Now that I now where it is, it'll be pretty easy to avoid, so in the interest of not having this mission be EXTREMELY BORING I reckon it's time to save and attack.

snap1877w.jpg

The briefing mentioned the SAMs were in the vicinity of Seoul so they're probably in this bigass urban area.

snap1878.jpg

Hellfires are pretty easy. There's no complicated presets to mess with or anything. Click on target, hit assign, hit launch. Provided they're in that cone they ought to die. We're approaching the target now, but I'm not really familiar with the range on hellfires vs hardcore dedicated SAMs. Hope this works.

snap1879.jpg

Should be in range now, but the damned thing won't fire. I keep getting closer and closer but it still won't fire. Getting nervous.

snap1885.jpg

Before long there's a missile lock on us and a new visual contact that appears to be another SAM launcher. I change course and begin deploying both countermeasures since I'm not sure if the SAM is radar guided or heat seeking.

snap1886.jpg

The missile wizzes past me in the left of the pic. Lucky.

snap1887.jpg

I'm pretty close now, figure I gotta finish the job or get screwed. I turn southward and wait for the cone to lineup, but in the meantime there's another missile lock. Countermeasures are out but...

snap1889.jpg

Sort of figured that would happened, good thing I saved.

snap1891.jpg

Alright, one more time. I decrease speed a little just in case that was the issue, but I consulted the manual and nothing was said. Was just a fluke I guess.

snap1892.jpg

Confirming that it was a fluke. Missile away! I fire two, just in case.

snap1894.jpg

snap1896.jpg

One down, but the other's got me locked. Same deal, increase speed, change course, launch countermeasures.

snap1897.jpg

snap1898.jpg

Now this is nothing but a visual contact. I'm assuming the range is estimated. I should have probably started emitting radar but I wasn't thinking. I have doubts whether or not the coordinates are exact enough for a hit, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

snap1902.jpg

Missile avoided, turn back towards the target complete, no new locks. Think I got this...

snap1905.jpg

But the missile doesn't launch. I have to turn all the way around again. Luckily we're not fired at again, but the window to fire is very brief since we're so close.

snap1906.jpg

But it goes off without a hitch and there's one less gook SAM in the world.

snap1908.jpg

The final pickup is south of the SAMs. No radar actually emitted from it. I flew around for a bit until I just raged and gave up, deciding to hit show truth so I could see where the hell it was. Good thing too, it was pretty out of the way and it's not likely I would've found it by flying.

snap1912.jpg

Right, so after 2 hours the only thing left to do is head back and land on our home frigate.

snap1914.jpg

Problem is there's no land option when I right click. The objective says pretty specifically to land on the FFG, but maybe these politician dicks want to ride first class on the Nimitz. The carrier in the group has a land option, so I go for that.

snap1917.jpg

snap1918.jpg

Interesting to note that landing on the carrier brings up an arming screen, but sadly it doesn't complete the mission. Takes a minute or so before I can take off again as well. Guess this means I have to manually land on the FFG. This is gonna be fun, I can tell.

snap1922.jpg

Alright, the pad is on the back. So I increase speed a little and begin descent...

snap1923.jpg

But I begin the descent a little too soon, causing me to hit the highest posts on the ship instead of flying over them. AGAIN!

snap1925.jpg

snap1926.jpg

Alright almost there...

snap1927.jpg

It occurs to me that I'm probably going to hit those tall posts next to the pad, so I correct course to the left a bit to avoid them.

snap1928.jpg

Overshoot a little bit but that's okay.

snap1930.jpg

Looks good. I hit the descent manually by throttling down the collective in the pilot seat. But I throttled it down too hard and hit the FFG with a nice thud and what could have even been an explosion. But instead of being dead, it brings me to the arming screen and says mission complete. I'll take it!

snap1932.jpg

Truthfully I did not enjoy that mission, but that could have something to do with my somewhat limited MH-60 abilities. Missions like this have a tendency to be too easy. What hampered me mostly were little details, like crashing, inability to identify the helipad, and more crashing. But it's over. and now it's time for what could be the end game...

snap1933.jpg

While everyone's distracted with the rebellion and Korea, China finally makes a grab at Taiwan. USA ain't havin none of it. As the 688, destroy troop transports as they leave for Taiwan, then if at all possible launch TLAMs at the naval base itself. Nice.

snap1935.jpg

As the FFG-7, provide ASW screen for a carrier battle group intent on engaging the hostile Chinese. If the mission plays out the entire battle that could be a pretty interesting one.

snap1936.jpg

An Indian battle group, presumably the one we escorted before (C&C!!!), is going to blow some shit up and as the Orion you've got to help them. Again, the primary task here is to identify the targets so the battle group can waste them, but if possible you're obviously allowed to engage.

snap1937.jpg

And what in the fuck is this? After a long Kwa marathon, the Dragon finally rears its ugly head with a hilariously dogmatic mission brief. Oh, those Communists. Once again sporting the Kilo we are to conduct anti-surface operations against the battle group to clear the way for the Chinese carrier to conduct operations against Taiwan. I know the last Kilo attempt was a disaster but there's no need to write this off as a lost cause. I'm better at subs now, have a Kilo-specific guide, and the main strength of the Kilo is how quiet it is. It's quieter than the Seawolf. The issue last time is I was right in the middle of a carrier battle group that I had to defend no matter what so it wasn't a terribly huge advantage. But here I'm guessing we'd be alone, a lone submarine against impossible odds. The Kilo is still a fucking piece of shit if you ask me but at least it's more suited to the situation this time.

Also this may be the last mission. You'll notice in the briefings that it says the Russian loyalists and rebels are not going to resolve their issues peacefully and are going to have to result to conflict. I don't know if that means that once I finish this mission a new series will begin, or if it's sort of just letting us know because I didn't do the missions well enough and this was the result. Hard to say. It would be somewhat disappointing I have to say if we didn't get to see any closure on the rebellion. Maybe there'll be ending slides.

Anyway, EAGLE VS DRAGON!!!!

overtenemy

Augur
Part 10: The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner...

kilo0.jpg
vader.jpg

snap1937.jpg

So we're going to be traveling ahead of the Chinese carrier group so we can blow up the enemy destroyers who are screening for the Nimitz and its group. As for the Rebels, it's merely stated that they're going to have to fight it out because they've failed to diplomatically resolve their differences with the Loyalists. Strange addition to a mission briefing really, and I don't know what it means. Was reconciliation ever possible? Are they going to fight IN THIS MISSION? Just have to see.

snap1864.jpg

I read that UUVs are useless for ASuW work, so I don't bother taking any. Remembering my capacity for missing with torpedoes, I just stock up on as many of them as possible. The SET-53MEs are the completely shit ones with terrible range and speed that made me tear my hair out the first time I tried to Kilo. The 53-65KEs are wake homing, which may actually work this time since I'm attacking surface vessels. They feature must greater speed. And the last are wire-guided, basically a complete improvement over the SET-53 in all ways, but they can only be loaded in the last two tubes.

snap1865.jpg

Interesting, it says ASW search area to the south of us. I'm assuming that's the circle in which the FFG-7 mission we read about in the briefing takes place. FFG-7 is a frigate so it looks like we'll be going head to head with it.

snap1869.jpg

Get two sonar contacts fairly shortly. The one to the northeast is much louder. I'd like to assume that it's friendly just based on its position. The enemy is supposed to be south. I raise the ESM mast to see if I can get some easy identification.

snap1871.jpg

The one to the south at least is the FFG-7 previously mentioned. The northeastern contact isn't emitting.

snap1873p.jpg

I extend the radio to see if there's any messages, and to see if my allies have any better grasp of the situation. There's no enemy contact info, but I see where our carrier group is. We're waaaay ahead of it.

snap1875.jpg

ID on the northeastern contact, which by now is just more of an eastern contact. Victor Triple. I don't know why, or if this reflects reality at all, but I've never noticed the Chinese using Russian nuke subs. Sure, they love their piece of shit Kilos, but I've never seen them with a Victor-III. And I've never noticed Loyalist Russians using one either. They're always Rebel. Based on the fact that it didn't start to the south, and that the Russian rebels are on the Chinese side, I'm very much hoping that's a friendly contact. Either way, I'm not shooting yet because I was forbidden to engage anything not US affiliated in my brief. Just the same, in the event of bullshit I go to get a solution on it. Should be easy, based on how fast the bearing changes and how loud it is on sonar I'm thinking it's reasonably close.

snap1876.jpg

snap1878.jpg

I come up with this. Heading almost due south I believe, at 8 knots. Pretty close. Shouldn't be a tough shot if it comes to it. Whether or not I'd hit decoys though is up in the air.

snap1879.jpg

This mess on the other hand is the TMA screen for the FFG-7. I have ample contact info because he keeps emitting those radar waves and I keep picking them up. Also, he keeps pinging us, though I doubt he's actually getting any real info at the range he's probably at. Problem is though is I apparently have him on the wrong sonar array. Only one of the arrays lets you use the DEMON waterfall which allows you to get the target's speed. Without at least one piece of the puzzle, be it range or speed, TMA is pretty much impossible. Have to creep closer and closer til I can get a shot.

snap1881.jpg

I do some steering to move the baffles around. Get a few more contacts, all southward. Time passes and I creep slowly up. I've allowed the Victor-III to overtake me since I've only been traveling at 5 knots. I've been going so slow so as to avoid detection. Then pow. Torpedo in the water. It's that big spike bearing roughly 222, but it was originally launched from the bearing of the Victor. I take evasive maneuvers just in case, but I don't believe it's aimed at me. Of course, I've said that before and...well...

snap1883p.jpg

And now there's a fucking TON of torpedoes in the water. The nuke subs have utterly outdone me. I begin to feel like a useless piece of shit once more as subs with superior speed and range take the lead and begin doing my job for me. I expect to hear explosions soon.

snap1885.jpg

One of my sonar contacts just got bopped. One frigate down. That blue contact is a torpedo. I assigned it a tracking number in sonar and it automatically was assumed friendly. Think I dropped the track pretty shortly.

snap1888.jpg

And another one down, whilst I've yet to do shit.

snap1890.jpg

And now I've identified another Kilo, or at least a friendly submarine. I don't think the ID was 100% accurate. But still. I'm really getting shown up. Was too cautious. I maintained such a low speed because I was afraid the Victor would shoot me. But hey, is that my fault really? If they want me to cooperate with these Russian fucks they should TELL ME ABOUT THEM IN THE BRIEFING. They're obviously a big part of the battle. What's the sense in keeping me uninformed?

snap1891.jpg

To catch up, I set speed to 10 knots. I still ought to be really quiet even at that speed. The contact M02 with the red line is the FFG-7. It's still alive.

snap1892.jpg

And more torpedoes in the water. Also, now that I'm going 10 knots the middle sonar array represented in the middle, called the conformal, is now "washing out" because it's more sensitive to sound and it can't hear shit over my own sub. Oh well. I'll just slow down every now and then to see what's what with it.

snap1896.jpg

I do so after a while, and get a ton of new contacts. This could be the US battle group, Nimitz and all. And my mission is still incomplete. Somehow the FFG-7 managed to survive the very impressive away of weapons deployed against it and still lives, and we're now south of its designated ASW search point. Would be pretty shitty if we ended up having to fight it with the carrier and friends close by.

snap1898.jpg

Shit just got serious. The FFG has launched a helicopter to come kill us. Foolish of the AI to bother emitting radar in this situation, since against submarines it can do nothing but give away the fact that you're there while providing you with no useful info.

snap1899.jpg

Two helicopters in fact! This could be bad. I bet they have at least a decent fix on my sub bros, based on all the torpedoes they've fired as well as any sonar they've gathered about them. Victor-IIIs are quite loud.

snap1900.jpg

It's now close enough to see with my periscope at max zoom. This isn't good. He's definitely heading at the Victor-III, who doesn't stand much of a chance if a torpedo gets dropped right on top of him. Maybe I wasn't much of a help in taking out the frigates, but maybe I can still be of use to glorious People's Republic of China. I KNOW NOW WHAT I MUST DO.

snap1913.jpg

OH HEY FRIENDS

This is a feature I haven't even considered using previously. All subs in this game carry around shoulder mounted SAMs to shoot at aircraft with. I have no doubt that I am now on the radar of a great many ships and have therefore given up the Kilo's only real advantage by giving the enemy my exact range and bearing. But I would do anything for my bros.

snap1912.jpg

I keep an eye on the chopper's bearing using ESM because I can't see it with the naked eye quite yet.

snap1914.jpg

I think the sight's blocking it, but I do believe I actually saw the chopper in this shot. The missile flies off and takes some weird course. What the hell? You better fucking work you piece of shit.

snap1915.jpg

Oh hey, it did. I missed the explosion, but if you look in the SAM sight you can see a splash of water. That's the helicopter crashing. Using a sub to take out air contacts. Who am I, Cassidy?

snap1916.jpg

Other Seahawk is still out there. Gotta be careful. I'll surface again when I've got visual on him with the periscope. For now, dive dive dive!

snap1917.jpg

snap1918.jpg

I go to the periscope to have a look, and notice that ESM is going batshit nuts. Nonstop radar emissions. What's all this then?

snap1921.jpg

OSHI-

snap1922.jpg

Bitches fired a missile at me. Good thing I dove, I'd be toast for sure right now.

snap1927.jpg

Other chopper is in sight. Looks to be coming at me. Based on my experiences with the previous chopper, I don't bother surfacing right away. It's nowhere near in SAM range just because it can be seen with max zoom on the periscope. Better to wait. But this time, I really don't feel as though I have a choice. It knows right where I am due to me surfaced and getting gaydared all over the place. It's gonna kill me if I don't kill it, that's for damn sure.

snap1928.jpg

I still have the radio wire deployed, so I notice a friendly missile has been fired. At what I really don't know at the moment. It doesn't take out the chopper. or anything else so far as I can tell. But it does signify that the shit storm is getting closer. I just want to kill this FFG-7 and get out of here, but I still have no info on it and my sub pals have failed to destroy it for me. It must be pretty far away and is outrunning the torpedoes' ranges if I had to guess.

snap1934.jpg

Meanwhile the chopper's pretty damned close, although it may not be coming RIGHT at me. I figure now is the time to surface.

snap1935.jpg

Goddamn SAMs are fast. I keep missing the screenshots on these dead choppers. This is the best I got, the moment it hits the water, but it's not even shown. Second later I wasn't able to look at it anymore. Anyway, crisis averted.

snap1937.jpg

Here's another feature I never bother using on subs. Radar. It's usually pointless since it gets you away so completely, but they already know my range and bearing so what does it matter to me? In any event, I fail to get the FFG-7 on radar even though I know its bearing. It must be over 30 kilometers away. No wonder the Victor and brother Kilo keep missing.

snap1943.jpg

Once again billions of torpedoes in the water. Pretty sure most of them are friendly. I have more sonar contacts to the south but I still can't get real IDs on most of them, so I can't begin working on solutions yet. I've begun running at 2 knots and changing course just to ensure that there's no hostiles able to detect me on sonar, so that they might lose my position and be unable to engage me later.

snap1944.jpg

Then, pow. I began getting insistent pinging and was suddenly destroyed in spite of evasive maneuvers and countermeasures. What gives? There were no torpedoes fired on any southern bearings. The torpedo that got me must've been delivered by either a missile or an aircraft, but I just shot down the two choppers. Fortunately, I saved after I shot down the second chopper. Let me try this again.

snap1945.jpg

In other news, after I reloaded this Kirov boat got wasted by my pals. That's Russian. Must be Loyalists on the side of the filthy American pig dogs.

snap1949.jpg

Looks like I found the problem. I was slain by a Viking, and not the bearded kind. I had to look up what it was, but it turns out its a fixed wing aircraft. Must've been launched from the Nimitz. That's no good, they'll be alot harder to shoot down with wimp SAMs.

snap1950.jpg

Their bearing changes so fast, this is gonna be tough as hell. Torpedo bearing 310, which is right where they are. Great.

snap1951.jpg

Thankfully that's a pretty easy torpedo for me to evade. Just need to turn a few degrees left and deploy countermeasures and it'll head right at my countermeasures and will very likely lock them instead.

snap1953.jpg

But it turns out I wasn't the target. Victor bro just got wrecked.

snap1954.jpg

And now an Akula-I I didn't even know existed has been destroyed as well. Fuck I suck at this game. My Kilo friends are okay but honestly who gives a shit if a KILO is okay? I need to take these wimps out before I'm next.

snap1958.jpg

But no dice. I'm once again slain without ever having visually acquired the Vikings.

snap1961.jpg

I surface quickly this time, enticing them to come straight at me so I can get a shot.

snap1962.jpg

But not quick enough for Akula bro who has once again been torpedoed into next week. These guys are fucking good.

snap1964b.jpg

Dick's coming straight at me. Here, have a SAM.

snap1965.jpg

Excellent. All righty then, time to dive...

snap1967.jpg

but it's far too late. Having surfaced so early, I was probably on radar for well over the required period of time for these jerks to throw a missile at me. Shortly after I ordered the dive I got hit. It's okay, I totally got this.

snap1968.jpg

Hilariously enough, after I die the FFG-7 is destroyed. But it doesn't count as a complete mission coz I got owned.

snap1971.jpg

This time, I wait a bit longer, then surface, destroy one, and dive again. No other sub bros were destroyed either, but the Viking either got a torpedo or two off before I owned him, or his buddy did. I've got a few coming at me at very close range. If I can survive, this would be an ideal outcome.

snap1973.jpg

Diving, changing course, deploying countermeasures. Soon after I hear an explosion on sonar on the bearing of the decoys. Got real lucky that it bothered to take it instead of me. So anyway, there's still one Viking left, but we have a few problems on that front. First off, I used most of my SAMs shooting the first Viking. I have one left. Secondly, after I dove after killing the Viking I increased speed to avoid the torpedo, but failed to lower the ESM mast in time. It's now broken. Trying to find and kill that dick without it would be impossible. Just have to deal with it.

snap1978.jpg

Anyway, I now have a few identifiable contacts. One is PROBABLY the Kirov that was dead before I had to reload, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is I one of these is a Kara class. Since I'm not good at multitasking and I have friends to help me out regardless, I focus on getting a solution on the Kara at the expense of...well, everything else. I'd go for the FFG of course, but it's STILL not in range. It's playing keep away rather effectively.

snap1983.jpg

Takes me a while, but this looks about right to me based on the available info. Particularly, it seems likely that he's heading roughly due north to intercept the Chinese carrier. Details like that are really useful in narrowing down what solutions are probable, especially when you're daft at TMA.

snap1986x.jpg

I engage with four torpedoes. Two wake homing, and two wire guided. I didn't bother with the SET-53s because I didn't think they'd have enough speed and range to actually catch this guy.

snap1988.jpg

The torpedoes strangely appear to be lagging somewhat behind his projected course. Not that he is likely in that position right now, since he's probably detected the torpedoes and is attempting to evade. Plus my solution could've just been wrong. Anyway, maybe it's because I wasn't facing him when I fired so it screwed me up.

snap1989.jpg

Anyway, I can't control the wake homers, so I begin using the wire guided ones to begin searching around north where he's projected to be, and south as well in case he turned around.

snap1991.jpg

One of my wire guided torpedoes locked something, hit it and detonated it, but we have no confirmed kill. It could be that the ship simply survived the explosion, or that we hit a decoy. Either way, I was unable to bring the other torpedo to bear where I lost the other one. Not enough juice left. The rest are failures.

snap1995t.jpg

Also, you can notice in this screenshot where the Kara was projected to be. Around now, it'd be east of me, but still heading north. Those other sonar contacts to the east are surely hostile as well, being of the same group. One of their ships is seem destroyed far to the northeast of me in this screenshot. It seems like a loyalist Russian battlegroup effectively bypassed myself, the Akula and the Victor-III. We suck. Anyway, something got it. Maybe a missile from a friendly frigate, or a slow ass Kilo lagging behind. Hope it's the same for the rest of them. I just want to kill this FFG and gtfo.

snap2001.jpg

After a re-evaluation of the Kara's course, I prepare to re-engage. I also actually bother to change the torpedo presets this time. The wake homers didn't come set on maximum speed.

snap2003.jpg

Meanwhile to the Northeast, I get a red contact on the map. Turns out it's link info from my carrier group buddies. They've finally detected the Loyalist Russian group and are sending some missiles their way. They've been beaten up a bit already, I really don't think they have a chance.

snap2004.jpg

Oshi-! Loyalist Russian carrier detected.

snap2005.jpg

Lord but not for long. That thing is out for the count. Excellent. The rest of the group is quickly mopped up, except for this Kara that's still close to me. That'll be my job.

snap2008.jpg

Same deal. The torpedoes appear to be lagging behind his projected course. Once again I turn the wire guided ones manually and begin searching for him myself.

snap2009.jpg

Think this guy right here is onto something.

snap2011.jpg

Gotcha you fat cunt. Now the Loyalist carrier group that wasn't even mentioned in the briefing is destroyed. We've just got the Kwans left. Once again, I want nothing to do with them. This mission is taking a long time and it's getting exhausting. I just want to kill this damn FFG. I set speed for 10 knots again and head straight at him, hoping that eventually my pals will stop shooting at him so he won't run away and I can finally get this done with.

snap2013.jpg

But apparently there's another obstacle. There's still one of the Russian Loyalist Krivak-III, an ASW frigate, in very close proximity. His bearing changes quite rapidly. I hadn't noticed before because I was too preoccupied with killing the Kara, but this jerk's gotta be right on top of me. And he's going 31 knots and changing course too much for me to get a really decent solution. I think, since I believe he's so close, that what I'm going to do is simply fire two wire-guided torpedoes in a snake pattern at his general bearing, and just keep updating their courses for his bearing using my sonar. That ought to get him.

snap2016.jpg

But before I can launch, something takes him out. That red mark there was where I thought he might have been. The barely visible selected gray mark is where he actually was. Fucker WAS close, goddamn.

snap20180.jpg

I remove all of the old and excess contacts to avoid confusion. What's really important now is M02, that jerk to the southwest. That's the FFG that's been evading at least 4 submarines this entire mission, and completion hinges upon his destruction.

snap2021.jpg

Around now, I begin to get torpedoes in the water rather constantly. Sudden bursts of three or four of them, not on any sub's bearing. This prompts me to steer off course and drop a ton of countermeasures. I'm thinking they were missile delivered, just judging by the volume. I don't know if the Vikings can launch that many at a time. They didn't when they were killing me. Thing is, none of these torpedoes every actually materialize and do anything. I think what's happening is the torpedo is dropped into the water but it's too shallow and it just smacks right into the ground. Only thing I can think of. In this upside down world of modern warfare, shallow water can actually be beneficial to subs. Isn't that some shit?

snap2019.jpg

Time passes. I identify a Boris Chilkin, which is apparently a Russian tanker used to refuel the fleet. That'd be a pretty nice kill probably, but I don't let myself get distracted. It's not dangerous and I've got shit to do.

snap2022.jpg

Oh hey, look at this handy button. I found a function that allows you to show allies on the map. It's a form of cheating I suppose, but I wish I'd realized it earlier because I feel it would have been handy for this LP. Who knows how many times we've had friendly subs floating around?

snap2024.jpg

Zooming out, one can see there's an entire group of Rebel surface vessels assisting us. Thing is though, I mean shit I'm no expert, but these Rebel cunts don't even have a carrier. The Chinese have literally a single carrier in their entire fleet, which is mostly comprised of shit. Is it just me or does this partnership seem like it's destined to fall before the combined might of the United States and Russian navies, both of whom have a bunch of carriers and countless awesome submarines? Sounds like failure to me.

snap2025.jpg

Oh dear, huge barrage of friendly missiles. Can't tell what they were fired at. Does me no good.

snap2026.jpg

Meanwhile, something takes out the Victor-III. It's okay, I cannot help but to feel he's outlived his usefulness. Truthfully, it was likely his incompetence that's allowed the FFG to survive for this long.

snap2029.jpg

Oh hey, these missiles look like they're heading towards M02...

snap2032.jpg

Yep. It seems that the FFG took a few missiles hits. That thing's pretty tough, I know I got a hit a few times when I played it but I was able to keep on trucking. I'm glad to hear that it's damaged though, makes me job that much easier. Time passes as I approach at 10 knots. I'm beset by torpedoes along the way, but much of them are the disappearing sort that doesn't do anything, but since the Victor-III got wasted I figure there's probably a Viking, or maybe even more Seahawks flying around up there dropping shit on us. So when I hear a single torpedo in the water, I evade. Actually saved my ass one time, it ended up hitting a decoy. I've been getting lucky on those this whole mission.

snap2034.jpg

Friendly SAM launch confirms my suspicion that there's still enemy air power about. Fucking Nimitz. I hope this at least keeps him off me for a bit.

snap2037.jpg

Akula's dead too, making me the only sub in reasonable range of the FFG. There's two other kilos, but they're far northeast. Too far.

snap2039.jpg

The Rebel Russians begin taking losses. I don't know what from exactly, but it stands to reason that if they can shoot missiles at the US, the US can shoot back. Probably the Nimitz group is ripping them up now.

snap2047.jpg

At long last, I've got a DEMON reading on the FFG. Now I can finally begin performing TMA on this dick.

snap2048.jpg

I'm constantly distracted by the battle though. All the Russians are mostly dead now, and the pride of the Chinese fleet, the Chinluk, is taking fire. Shit. Gotta stay focused. Must destroy FFG. A solution begins to formulate, when...

snap2051.jpg

snap2052.jpg

Some dickhead shot it with a missile, rendering my epic trek down here a pointless waste of time. Brilliant.

snap2053t.jpg

The mission is complete, but it says to take up position north of Taipei and wait for the transports to arrive to beat up on Taiwan. Thing is though...I don't think that's happening. This shit took too long. Our fleet is mostly toast. I turn and head north to avoid the incoming Americans, turn on show truth and watch the fight.

snap2057.jpg

Show truth reveals an enemy life raft. Guess a Viking or something got shot down over by our carrier group. Anyway, this ends up being not nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. I don't think the AI was scripted to do shit properly after the mission objectives are complete. The Chinese are supposed to stay around Taipei and bomb the place and what not to help the invading troops. But the Chinluk keeps heading south rather than staying around Taipei.

snap2065.jpg

It gets pretty far for whatever it's worth, but...

snap2066.jpg

snap2071.jpg

snap2073.jpg

And that's that. China's only carrier in ruins along with its battle group adn Rebel allies. Not to mention, the 688 mission was to destroy the troop transports before they could get to Taiwan, so it's not like they're likely to have actually arrived. After all that, it's safe to say the Chinese effort was a failure. But hey, I survived. If you don't count the many times I died and reloaded.

snap2054.jpg

The campaign is sadly anticlimactic. I almost believed it would branch into another campaign for a moment, but nope that's it. We're sort of left hanging as to the fate of the Rebels, and whether or not Taiwan falls to the Chinese or not. The lack of proper ending slides forces me to admit that perhaps Dangerous Waters is not as great of a role-playing game as Codex favorite Alpha Brotocol, but it's still a good sim. Highly recommended.

Yeesh

Magister
That was a brilliant, desperate, closely fought, ultimately pointless effort. My bottomless gratitude for an excellent LP. :salute:

P.S. Many, many demerits for failing to machine gun the survivor in the life raft.

Cassidy

Arcane
One thing this game seems to lack is a final Kwa' mission involving a desperate attempt to intercept Chinese nuclear ballistic submarines heading towards US West Coast to bring ITZ. And if you fail the mission several mushroom clouds will be visible in the distance.

Also this game plot could turn real in the NK part of it.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thank you for the great LP, had a lot of fun reading through it.

Ending is very anti-climatic, but it's nice to see how you managed to get through the missions, sometimes just by luck.

What will be next ? :salute:

Cassidy

Arcane

overtenemy

Augur
Dwarvenfood said:
Thank you for the great LP, had a lot of fun reading through it.

Ending is very anti-climatic, but it's nice to see how you managed to get through the missions, sometimes just by luck.

What will be next ? Salute

Was looking at Mosby's Conferedacy and 9th Company: Roots of Terror, but I don't know about either. 9th Company doesn't even seem to have many reviews and it's difficult to ascertain information regarding the quality of either game. Not sure if I want to bother. At the very least, I'll DEFINITELY be doing Achtung Panzer: Operation Star whenever they decide to release it in a language that matters.

Cassidy said:
I thought simulators just weren't adequate for screenshot based LPs but I was wrong, therefore I suggest either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCiC2fpZAo

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5xKjuhIwE

or even

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqC-9IhA0Bo

Yeah I've been avoiding flight sims, especially complicated ones like Falcon 4.0 specifically because I don't believe they'd be good to screenshot LP. I've been playing DCS: Black Shark which is awesome as fuck and detailed in the vein of Falcon 4.0 but even more so. Thing is, the craziest things like the flight model and intense BUTTON PUSHING would be an incredible pain to screenshot LP and I'm not sure it'd be good to read either. People who have played the game already might benefit from such an endeavor but that doesn't do me much good on the Declinedex. Much better for videos, which as a rule I'm not bothering with at the moment. IL-2 would be a bit easier, but I figure that's popular enough to not really warrant an LP. Was thinking about Steel Beasts Pro PE, but meh. Lack of continuity makes it debatable for LP. It's okay though, I've got a few ideas.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've just read through the whole LP, and it's great indeed. Thank you for the effort! :salute:

Edit: You should probably let Andyman know you've completed this LP so that he could add it to his sticky. For posterity and all that.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Crooked Bee said:
I've just read through the whole LP, and it's great indeed. Thank you for the effort! :salute:

Edit: You should probably let Andyman know you've completed this LP so that he could add it to his sticky. For posterity and all that.
You motherfucker.

Updated my sticky.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Whoa, that is some hardcore simulator. Bravo!

I wonder if anyone will ever create a similar one but for air war from the ground perspective. The ESM/ECM/ECCM cat'n'mouse between modern planes and air def would be something worthy to model.

overtenemy

Augur
GarfunkeL said:
Whoa, that is some hardcore simulator. Bravo!

I wonder if anyone will ever create a similar one but for air war from the ground perspective. The ESM/ECM/ECCM cat'n'mouse between modern planes and air def would be something worthy to model.

I doubt that'll ever happen. It's too niche and the sim genre is declined as hell at the moment. Sub sims are pretty much dead. Just flight left, the occasional odd ball and weird shit like FARMING SIMULATOR 2011. Even Dangerous Waters only got made because Sonalysts makes crap like this for governments anyway. Too bad really, because that does sound like it'd be pretty fun. Especially if the sim allowed one to play both jet and SAM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom