Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's walk the streets of Silent Hill (Complete !)

lightbane

Arcane
Mrowak said:
ghostdog said:
Dahlia Gillespie in Silent Hill : Shattered Memories :

dahliasexualized.png

WAT

:shock: :retarded:

I'm kinda glad I didn't touch that shit.

Despite this, I thought that the game was good for what it was, that's is: A remake of the series/reimagination/whatever buzzword you want to use of the 1st game. In any case, moar!

CrimHead

Scholar
ghostdog said:

dahliasexualized.png

WAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT THE FUCK

Radisshu

Prophet
ghostdog said:

dahliasexualized.png

WAT

:decline: :decline: :decline: :decline:

The new Silent Hill games are even worse cases of lore (or rather aesthetics) rape than Fallout 3 to Fallout, IMO, even though the superficial elements are competent imitations of the originals.

CrimHead

Scholar
Just watched Yahtzee's review of Shattered Memories. Apparently there's little to no blood...

Think about that for a second....

A Silent Hill game...

With no blood...

lolwut.jpg

Also, keep it up ghostdog :salute: Thread inspired me to replay 1-3.

The new Silent Hill games are even worse cases of lore (or rather aesthetics) rape than Fallout 3 to Fallout, IMO, even though the superficial elements are competent imitations of the originals.

Well yeah, I wouldn't worry about the lore. It's all very flimsy anyway, what with all the games only loosely tying together. What I really love about the games are their surrealist art direction, Lynch-like writing/awkward scenarios, and subtle psychological scares, on which, from the look of things, Shattered Memories has failed miserably (I'm not even going to comment on the others non-TeamSilent iterations; they're not worth that much effort).

CrimHead said:
Think about that for a second....

A Silent Hill game...

With no blood...

I just can't wrap my mind around that.

confused.jpg

It's like a Bethesda game without the primitive, animatronic, rubber-faced facial animations.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm willing to give shattered memories the benefit of the doubt and give it a try at some point , but of course I'm not expecting an actual SH game. Since team silent was completely dismantled after SH4 it was obvious the franchise was dead. If it wasn't for Akira Yamaoka to give the new games some purpose with his music, there wouldn't even be any more sequels.

What I really like about the games (1&2 mainly) is that every horror aspect , every monster, every hellish decor has it's meaning and it's tied somewhat with the story. They rely heavily on symbolism and they don't just throw stuff in because "its kewl".

CrimHead

Scholar
Do you like SH3? Plot-wise, I think it's the weakest of the good Silent Hills, but the environments are really spectacular (not only from a graphical perspective, but from an artistic one) and it was the scariest/most disturbing to me because of that. The church is one of my favorite Silent Hill levels.

I think the first signs of TeamSilent's decline are apparent in it (the monster designs seem to fall somewhat into the "because it's cool" category, for instance), but still, I believe it to be better than 90% of all other survival horror games out there. You just can't hold it to the same standard as 2 or 1. If you do, you're bound to be dissapointed, because those games are perfection incarnate.

SH4 is a a bit of a mixed issue with me. The premise is so SO fucking good, and something you wouldn't expect at all to find in a video game, but it's execution is likewise so SO poor. It was weird, and awesomely so, but not scary, and didn't provide the same level of symbolic depth as 1 or 2 (or even 3 for that matter!) Lack of intense darkness in the game is the most curious omission in my eye, though, even more so than the symbolism.

Kz3r0

Arcane
SH4 was a better game than SH3, really, I felt ripped off by playing the third.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sh3 had an awesome engine and it managed to built heavy atmosphere, but yeah, the story was dull and frankly I got tired with the combat after a while, too many identical rooms-enemies and too much purposeless running around.

SH4 had a much better premise and its story was pretty interesting, but somehow they managed to make it look worse than 3 and it definitely needed better surroundings. As I recall the areas weren't as disturbing as in previous games. It would still have been a pretty good game if it wasn't for the lazy/retarded decision to make you revisit the same levels a second time.

Even so, I think SH4 is slightly better than 3. With 3 I had to push myself to finish it, 4 gave me more a bit more reason to keep on going.

Felix

Arcane
Except Shattered Memories is actually good (for what it is), better than 3 and 4, too bad the series seem to be in decline again after that.

I thought about doing a Shattered Memories or Fatal Frame IV let's play but then I remembered I'm lazy and don't have the right tools. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Sh3 had an awesome engine and it managed to built heavy atmosphere, but yeah, the story was dull and frankly I got tired with the combat after a while, too many identical rooms-enemies and too much purposeless running around.

SH4 had a much better premise and its story was pretty interesting, but somehow they managed to make it look worse than 3 and it definitely needed better surroundings. As I recall the areas weren't as disturbing as in previous games. It would still have been a pretty good game if it wasn't for the lazy/retarded decision to make you revisit the same levels a second time.

Even so, I think SH4 is slightly better than 3. With 3 I had to push myself to finish it, 4 gave me more a bit more reason to keep on going.
The third had some great moment but seemed somewhat incomplete, as they given up halfway through, the fourth suffered from something similar but was better fleshed out.
Shattered memories has some interesting concept but probably would have worked better as a non Silent Hill game.
Maybe this is the problem, they are using the brand as an umbrella for their projects, resulting in half assed games.

Felix

Arcane
I think they should just move away from Silent Hill already.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
We've had some good times, I know, but unfortunately it's time we left our favorite Hospital...

2rq0w2o.jpg

Code:
Chapter XVII :

ooooo 8               .oPYo.   o  8                     .oPYo. 8                          8      
  8   8               8    8   8  8                     8    8 8                          8      
  8   8oPYo. .oPYo.   8    8  o8P 8oPYo. .oPYo. oPYo.   8      8oPYo. o    o oPYo. .oPYo. 8oPYo. 
  8   8    8 8oooo8   8    8   8  8    8 8oooo8 8  `'   8      8    8 8    8 8  `' 8    ' 8    8 
  8   8    8 8.       8    8   8  8    8 8.     8       8    8 8    8 8    8 8     8    . 8    8 
  8   8    8 `Yooo'   `YooP'   8  8    8 `Yooo' 8       `YooP' 8    8 `YooP' 8     `YooP' 8    8 
::..::..:::..:.....::::.....:::..:..:::..:.....:..:::::::.....:..:::..:.....:..:::::.....:..:::..
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

296iuz6.jpg

Without caring about speed limits we sprint to the Antique shop.

1ffyvs.jpg

Here we are. Let's see what's inside the "Green Lion".

35b812e.jpg

v80rwj.jpg

Hmm, another save point and various antiques. Among them, a clock.

23u5xtw.jpg

Okay... anything else ?

eqrxgk.jpg

30rtk7m.png
None of this stuff is of any use...

Wait, ther's a cabinet on the wall. Don't tell me it's the old cabinet trick ?

kdv8go.jpg

You don't say ! Let's push it aside.

21lv5fr.jpg

BINGO !

34pm35u.jpg

:footsteps:

Huh ? Something moved behind us !

1zv8wn9.jpg

2m46q83.jpg

2zrjnea.jpg

28quph5.jpg

Cybil ! :D

30rtk7m.png
I'm glad you're all right too.

2rvyj5j.png
I shouldn't have left you. Things are worse than I thought. It's nuts !

30rtk7m.png
What are you doing here ?

2rvyj5j.png
I saw you go in here, so I followed you.

30rtk7m.png
I thought you left town.

2rvyj5j.png
I couldn't get out. All the roads out of town are blocked. Cars have completely stopped running. The phones and radios are still out, too.

30rtk7m.png
What about my daughter ? Did you see her ?

2rvyj5j.png
I did see a girl.

At last !

30rtk7m.png
Was it Cheryl ?!

2rvyj5j.png
I only caught a glimpse of her through the fog. I went after her but she vanished. I don't know about your daughter, but...

8z2uf8.jpg

2rvyj5j.png
On Bachman Road. She was heading towards the lake.

30rtk7m.png
And you lost her ?!

2rvyj5j.png
Now don't get excited. It wasn't like she ran off exactly. There was no place for her to go. The road has been obliterated.

30rtk7m.png
What ?! So, then Cheryl...

2rvyj5j.png
I don't know... It was like she was walking on thin air.

Harry is disappoint.

2rvyj5j.png
What about you ? Anything ?

28by89c.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Her name's Dahlia Gillespie. Do you know her ?

2rvyj5j.png
Dahlia Gillespie ? No. And ?

30rtk7m.png
She said something about the town being devoured by darkness. Gibberish like that. Any idea what it means ?

2rvyj5j.png
Darkness devouring the town ? Must be the drugs. They sell them to the tourists. The force still can't figure out who's behind it. None of our leads have panned out, and the investigation is stalled.

:roll: I see a lot of skepticism in a town where everyone has disappeared, all roads are been obliterated and hellish monsters are running around... unless Cybil hasn't seen any monsters, or the "other" Silent Hill. Hmmm...

30rtk7m.png
What could drug trafficking have to do with all this ?

2rvyj5j.png
I really don't know. But, maybe that's the darkness she was talking about. That's all I can think of.

6r4x8m.jpg

30rtk7m.png
Just discovered it.

2rvyj5j.png
Maybe there's something back there. Let's have a look.

30rtk7m.png
Wait. We don't know what's back there. I'd better check it out first.

2rvyj5j.png
I'm a cop. I should go.

30rtk7m.png
No. I'm going.

We just made clear who's the man here. :smug:

2rvyj5j.png
Alright. I'll cover you from here. Be careful. If anything looks fishy, get back here on the double.

30rtk7m.png
Okay.

2h57a6o.jpg

2rvyj5j.png
Yes ?

30rtk7m.png
Do you know anything about... Well... like some other world... It's like some kind of bad dream... ?

2rvyj5j.png
What are you talking about ?

30rtk7m.png
I'm not quite sure. I try to make sense of it, but then my mind goes blank. Everything's dark there, and I hear sirens in the distance.

2rvyj5j.png
...?

30rtk7m.png
I met this nurse... Lisa. It's like I was there, but not really. It's all a blur. Some kind of hallucination, you know ?

2rvyj5j.png
I have no idea what you're talking about, Harry.

whoops.

30rtk7m.png
Oh... I was just wondering. Never mind.

2rvyj5j.png
Harry... You're tired.

2q2io78.jpg

eim9vn.jpg

So, Harry is the only one who's been seeing these things... That's not good. We enter the hole with a sense of dread looming over us...

i4k4ye.jpg

The corridor leads to another opening.

34gr57k.jpg

We pass through and...

25zqreg.jpg

Oh my.

m9asut.jpg

fctqtc.jpg

200v3nm.jpg

nbyu4j.jpg
(Church of Magneto ??!)

Maybe it is. Let's have a closer look.

23mamue.jpg

30rtk7m.png
I wonder what they worship ?

Hmm, that sinister figure in the picture doesn't give me good vibes. No sir. And what about that thing on the wall ?

6g9yrn.jpg

296eqkk.jpg

All right, now we can chop enemies to pieces ! here'sjohnny.jpg
On the other side of the room we find writing on the wall.

jhbx1s.jpg

Good to know. Across from the altar there's a steel door, but...

iwkyh4.jpg

Hmm. It seems there isn't anything more for us to do here. We should get back to Cybil...

2d1a61u.jpg

HUH ?!

5n6jhk.jpg

SIRENS

2d120l3.jpg

Oh shit.

2en2uet.jpg

SIRENS

29f35hg.jpg

SIRENS

2hi8fi1.jpg

This doesn't look good.

2dmb3m1.jpg

15eg0oi.jpg

2rz2r9i.jpg

foncph.jpg

2rvyj5j.png
Harry ? ...Harry !!

There's no Harry to be found.

:mInDfUcK No666:

352ivqd.jpg

2816xe.jpg

11j93co.png
Harry.

30rtk7m.png
Lisa... Then I'm in the hospital.

11j93co.png
You were having a bad dream.

30rtk7m.png
Was I ?

11j93co.png
You don't look too good. Are you OK ?

30rtk7m.png
I'm fine. Nothing you need to worry about.

11j93co.png
Well, if you're sure...

2gw98w3.jpg

11j93co.png
Oh yeah, that crazy Gillespie lady. She's kinda famous around here. She never sees anybody, so I don't know much about her.

30rtk7m.png
Uh-huh ?

11j93co.png
I heard her kid died in a fire, and supposedly she's been crazy ever since.

30rtk7m.png
Well, she says the town is being devoured by darkness. Do you have any idea what she's talking about ?

11j93co.png
The town... devoured by the darkness. Yes, I think I do.

Hallelujah ! Someone who does know something !

11j93co.png
Before this place was turned into a resort, the townspeople here were on the quiet side.

2ufdrio.jpg

11j93co.png
Weird occult stuff... Black magic, that kind of thing.

Why am I not surprised ?

11j93co.png
As the young people moved away, the rest of the townspeople figured they'd been summoned by the Gods. Evidently, things like that used to happen around here all the time...
(crappy translation detected)

30rtk7m.png
Go on.

11j93co.png
Before the resort, there wasn't really anything else out here. Everyone was so flipped out. Gotta blame it on something. Then a lot of new people came in and everybody clammed up about it.

30rtk7m.png
So, there was a cult...

11j93co.png
Last time I heard anything about it was...gosh, years ago. When several people connected with developing the town died in accidents. People said it was a curse.

r75gz4.jpg

wsmfzn.jpg

14ul4lc.jpg

Again ?

1iilir.jpg

Uh-oh, this warping around is starting to get very frequent.

5nm9z5.jpg

a9patk.jpg

2nq9ra0.jpg

2j0mlc5.jpg

30rtk7m.png
I could have had a car accident, and now I'm lying unconscious in a hospital bed... I don't know what's real anymore...

No, Harry ! You mustn't think like that, you've got a daughter to rescue ! Focus !

szahc9.jpg

30rtk7m.png
But the road to the lake is blocked... Aren't there any other roads ? Lisa would probably know...

Ok, all this could actually be a nightmare, a feverish dream of a person who's lying unconscious on a hospital bed. But maybe that isn't the case. Maybe this *is* real after all, and if that's true we have to find Cheryl as soon as possible.

With renewed determination we open the flashlight...

2r5ticx.jpg

We're greeted by the crest of Samael.

TRIVIA said:

THE GREEN LION

The Green Lion eating the sun is an image found in the The Rosary of the Philosophers (Rosarium philosophorum), a 16th century alchemical treatise.

23h7ntx.jpg

It is believed that the "Greene Lyon" was an alchemical metaphor for a chemical process for dissolving metals. When nitric acid is mixed with hydrochloric acid, a solution called aquae regia (meaning, "royal water") is produced - a liquid with a prominent green tinge. The solution is capable of dissolving all metals, including gold (the mineral of the Sun). The "Green Lion devouring the Sun" served as a pictorial representation of this concept. To naturalist alchemists, the Green Lyon metaphor described the process whereby plants used the rays of the sun to facilitate their own growth - a process we call photosynthesis.

Radisshu

Prophet
ghostdog said:

Something both games had, though, were incredibly well animated faces. Although Claudia in SH3 kind of sucked, they tried too hard to make her creepy and ended up with a really flat character. Still, those two games have faces that look better - mostly due to texturing and animation - than any games on "current gen" consoles.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Radisshu said:
ghostdog said:

Something both games had, though, were incredibly well animated faces. Although Claudia in SH3 kind of sucked, they tried too hard to make her creepy and ended up with a really flat character. Still, those two games have faces that look better - mostly due to texturing and animation - than any games on "current gen" consoles.
Yeah the animation was superb even in SH1, not to mention that those CGI sequences where amazing for the time.

Now that I think of it, there's another reason SH3&4 have failed. They don't have many open urban areas (as far as I can remember at least). The feeling of desolation when running around the misty roads of Silent Hill added a lot to the game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeesh said:
Maybe the very Codex itself is just a dream, and one of us is lying in a feverish haze somewhere summoning this whole mess into existence. Really makes you think, man.
man, you're onto something. We've lost our true identity. We're just a bunch of alts running around the misty streets of the codex, battling with nightmarish trolls. Will we find a way out, or will we be consumed by the evil one ? His power is slowly spreading... The mark of Volourn can be seen on the walls. A mad old man named Kingcomrade appeared and told us to flee to the retardo land, should we trust him ? "In before retardo !" he shouted, and then quickly disappeared...

Beware, they say that Pyramid Cleve still stalks the halls...

spekkio

Arcane
Yeesh said:
Maybe the very Codex itself is just a dream, and one of us is lying in a feverish haze somewhere summoning this whole mess into existence. Really makes you think, man.
fje2ac.jpg

:retarded:

Radisshu

Prophet
ghostdog said:
Radisshu said:
ghostdog said:

Yeah the animation was superb even in SH1, not to mention that those CGI sequences where amazing for the time.

Now that I think of it, there's another reason SH3&4 have failed. They don't have many open urban areas (as far as I can remember at least). The feeling of desolation when running around the misty roads of Silent Hill added a lot to the game.

I've never thought about that, but you're right. SH3 is incredibly linear, and kind of loses tension when all you do is "dungeon crawl". SH4's premise would make any large urban areas break the mood, but it fails on other levels.

What I like about SH3 is that it continues the story from SH1 and tells you more about the cult in Silent Hill, while SH2 is centered on James and barely touches the story of Silent Hill at all. SH4's story feels kind of tacked on (despite Sullivan being mentioned in a note in SH2, I mean, that note obviously was a Pyramid Head reference in SH2), but I really like the additional details you find out about the SH church in the forest level (the meteorites, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom