Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play:Codexians of Rage vs the Temple of Elemental Evil

Well, this is embarrassing. I'm in the starter dungeon and there is a locked chest that AFAIK I need to open to proceed. None of the party members have Open Locks and as far as I can tell there is no way to bash chests open in ToEE. Am I missing something?

JrK

Prophet
You should have at least one rogue or other character with access to the same skills who has ranks in open locks and disable device.

So since our party is a Chaotic Neutral party, our Codexers start out in a dungeon. Looking for treasure. DA:O has nothing on ToEE's wonderfully imaginative Origin stories. :roll:

We check the door on the left, locked.

Other room contains a hostile Air Elemental

Chzr has the first shot at it with her bow, but misses.

Turns out shes suffering -4 from wearing armor she isn't proficient in. I forgot that she won't able to wear this until she takes her first fighter level. :oops:

Of course, the solution is to strip her naked :lol:

Fucker still has a nasty high AC of 21. Even Serious only has +5 AB and therefore at 75% chance to miss.

After about 3 combat rounds it goes down. Serious rolls a 1 for critical failure on his attack every time, but Dolores manages to pick up the slack.

We find a chest. It could be trapped, but since we don't have someone to find traps, we choose the next best option. Standing really far away while the strongest character of the party opens it.

Serious takes minor damage, and we find some potions as well as the key to open the doorway.

Through the doorway we find some undead

Chzr hits the first zombie, but for no damage. Its the thought that counts, really.

Strangelove's magic missile hits for 2 damage. I do love the animations of these things.

After the zombie runs at us, Serious lays some major damage onto his face.

Dolores trips the zombie and does some damage as well.

Strangelove cast's Disrupt Undead on the other Zombie still standing. It's much more potent then Magic Missile at this level.

At this point we see that Trip is apparently fucking awesome. As the zombie tries to stand up he takes an Attack of Opportunity from Serious and Dolores. The zombie goes right back down again.

Serious then has his turn to pummel the final remaining zombie. Dolores tries to trip again, but fails and is tripper herself.

Strangelove and Serious finish it off in the remaining round.

We find a locked chest in the next room. Noone in the party has Open Locks. The Codexians are fucked.

So we completely restart, remake a party, and this time Chzr has 1 in open locks. Even with thief's tools though she is unable to pick it. If I didn't have Yeesh's Guidance to give me a skill boost I probably would have raged hard enough to stop this LP right here.

Serious, being our party's apparent leader ( :roll: ) finds a treasure map inside the chest and takes us to the town of Omelet to find where the area that the treasure map points to is.

We arrive at the dreaded town of Omelet.

Vibalist

Arcane
dungeon hack. but it does have a few choices and some freedom in how you proceed through it.

but the meat of the game is definitely the combat system.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
.....Prepare yourself for the Planar of Boredom that submits you to a steep Willpower check vs Quit Game known as Hommlet. It's the hardest early encounter but entirely optional. Good LucK!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Trip is fucking awesome, but it is dependent on an opposed strength roll, so if Dolores' strength is much lower than that of her enemy, the chance of succes is similarly slim.

On the other hand, her extra reach should mean she doesn't suffer as many attacks of opportunity herself when standing up after failed trip attempts, if you take some precaution when positioning your party members.

Attacks of Opportunity rocks! If your spellcaster is in the frontlines, remember to enable Denfensive Casting, or (s)he'll get his (her) ass kicked thoroughly.

Nickless

Educated
Whoring AoOs is what the game is all about. Use polearms and take combat reflexes, and then you can quite often attack of opportunity multiple enemies as they charge you. You can essentially become a one man band of death if you do it right.

RK47

Patron
It is probably the most faithful table top translation onto PC. The biggest issue is how buggy it was on release and the lack of storyline to grab the interest. I still cannot understand why no company would adopt this engine to make another RPG setting. Neverwinter Nights come to mind.

I wouldn't hate Mask of the Betrayer so much if it wasn't using that Aurora engine where combat is always a question mark to me.

Vibalist

Arcane
RK47 said:
I still cannot understand why no company would adopt this engine to make another RPG setting. Neverwinter Nights come to mind.

No offense, but isn't the answer to that question a bit obvious? You've seen how mainstream media have written off turn based completely. A game made on the ToEE engine would probably never sell, and Troika were pretty brave to attempt it in the first place.

But yeah, it's a shame that such a good engine has gone to waste because developers are a bunch of pussies and gamers have shitty taste.

Hommlet and first part of Welkwood will be up tonight. In the meantime, can anyone recommend easily acquired NPCs to round out our party? A rogue or bard to handle locks/traps would be most helpful.

Vibalist said:
RK47 said:
I still cannot understand why no company would adopt this engine to make another RPG setting. Neverwinter Nights come to mind.

No offense, but isn't the answer to that question a bit obvious? You've seen how mainstream media have written off turn based completely. A game made on the ToEE engine would probably never sell, and Troika were pretty brave to attempt it in the first place.

But yeah, it's a shame that such a good engine has gone to waste because developers are a bunch of pussies and gamers have shitty taste.

Troika didn't exactly help in that regard. ToEE is really overly arcane and not user friendly. Help system sucks, the interface sucks, and the initial area gives the impression that turn based RPG's are about unending fetch quests in a overly large and hard to navigate town.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Codex patry... Chaotic Neutral? Fuck that! Chaotic Evil! Rape Trannies! Eat Babies! Burn Churches!

The motto I had in mind for this party is that of the raging goblin:

He raged at the world, at his family, at his life. But mostly he just raged.

The Codex is not evil nor is it good. It is rage.

First task in Hommlet is to find the bro that will let us skip Hommlet. That is this blacksmith fellow.

NPC_6141_m_BrotherSmyth.jpg
What is it?
29.gif
Hello. I am Chzr.
Well met, Chzr. I am Brother Smyth, the village Blacksmith.
29.gif
Perhaps you will allow me a few more questions?
What would you like to know?
29.gif
I'm looking for something different.
What might that be?
29.gif
No offense, but this seems like a boring town. Would you know of anywhere else I can find some real action? :smug: (mod-added dialog starts here)
[Brother Smyth Sizes you up critically]. Action? What do you mean by that?
29.gif
I mean something more exciting then simply meddling in everyone's personal affairs here.
I see. And what do you mean by exciting? Are you looking for whores or something like that? If so, you'll have to look elsewhere. I don't arrange that kind of thing.
29.gif
I'm not looking for whores particularly, no. To be frank, I'm anxious for an opportunity to test my skills in battle. Isn't there anything going on around here that's more of a problem than the typical day to day trivialties of a small village?
[Brother Smyth laughs.] So... the restless adventurer wants to sally forth into something perhaps beyond her understanding. What makes you think you can handle anything more serious than running local errands.
29.gif
I'm no newcomer when it comes to exploration of dangerous places. I wouldn't be here if I were no more capable than what you suggest.
Perhaps. [Brother Smyth considers.] Do you think you really understand death, daughter?
29.gif
What's that supposed to mean?
Death. Surely you've heard of it. Among other things, it's what happens after some creature tears your entrails out and feasts on them while you're still breathing. Do you think you understand that?
29.gif
Yes, I do. You underestimate me.
[Brother Smyth waves a hand dismissively] I don't think you're serious. The death you should seek is that of old age.
29.gif
Listen, Brother. If you know something, tell me. Or am I just wasting my time with a would-be village druid who spends his days hammering on an empty anvil?
Ha! Bold to the end. Very well. But I wonder... would you change your mind if you were forced to consider UN-death? [He pauses and shakes his head.] No matter. Perhaps Captain Renton can explain that concept to you in greater detail. I'll leave it to him, though I make no guarantees that he'll be any more impressed with you than I am. He lives on the southwest of town.
29.gif
That's a fairly crytpic message, Brother.
Cryptic? And you the 'worldly' adventurer. Go see the Captain. He just may provide you with what it is you think you're looking for.
29.gif
You have been most kind.

We go straight to the home in that area of town to talk with the Captain.

NPC_6331_m_CaptainRenton.jpg
Yes? What can I do for you?
29.gif
Hello, sir. I am Chzr.
Well met, Chzr. My name is Hroth Renton, and I am captain of the local militia.
29.gif
I had an interesting discussion with your town blacksmith, Brother Smyth. He indicated to me that you might have knowledge of a situation in this area that may require some forceful intervention.
[Captain Renton looks at you flatly.] Did he now. I wonder whatever he might have been talking about.
29.gif
Captain Renton, I have no desire for a patronizing back and forth with you like I had with Smyth. Simply tell me where the trouble lies and I'll seek to eliminate it for you. Is that such a terrible thing?
[Renton looks at you with sudden exasperation that melts disconcertingly away to resignation.] Fine. I'll spare any further niceties between us then and tell you. Indeed! No more games! Let's have it out in the open, shall we?
29.gif
Yes, Why don't we?
Very Well. Sit down, lass. This is going to be a long story.
29.gif
[skip story]
So there you have it. That is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in. I think you can understand why we wouldn't care to publicize this tale around town. The villagers might not be particularly overjoyed to know that a zombie is cavorting in the surrounding wilderness.
29.gif
I don't suppose they would. Would you like me to destroy this creature and his minions for you?
I don't ask such a thing, and let me warn you: the village can pay very little.
29.gif
As long as I can collect what I recover from the scene, I'll be satisfied.
You might feel differently if I told you I never expect to see you alive again.
29.gif
It matters little, Captain. I shall return with good news, I assure you.
Very well. I shall mark the location of Welkwood Bog on your map for you. And I wish you the best of luck with this awful business.
29.gif
You are most generous.

Before we set off, we need to rest up at the local inn.

There we see a mage with shiny shit around him. Since I could use another arcane caster I ask him to join.

29.gif
Hello, I am Chzr.
NPC_6461_m_Spugnoir.jpg
So you are an adventurer?
29.gif
Yes. And you?
NPC_6461_m_Spugnoir.jpg
My name is Spugnoir, and I work for a sage in Stalmaer. He has directed me to locate any and all wizard scrolls in the area.
29.gif
Have you had any luck?
NPC_6461_m_Spugnoir.jpg
No, but I just recently arrived with a merchant wagon. I plan to check a nearby ruined moathouse, which I understand once housed a powerful warlock. This was before the Battle of Emridy Meadows, after which the moathouse was sacked.
29.gif
Where is the moathouse?
NPC_6461_m_Spugnoir.jpg
Here, I will show you where the moathouse is located on your map.
29.gif
Would you like to come along?
NPC_6461_m_Spugnoir.jpg
Really? I would love to accompany you. I don't want any share of money or items other than to ask for all of the wizard scrolls we find.
29.gif
Sure, come along.

A word about Co8 changes: Apparently, NPC looting was royally fucked in the retail version so its basically disabled. NPCs take no loot and basically act like PCs except that you can't see their attributes, you can't remove their starting equipped items, and they have dialog. Presumably having free extra characters makes the game significantly easier.

We don't care about the moathouse presently. That will be our task after we clean up Welkwood Bog. Nice of him to put it on our map though, we won't need to fuck around in Hommlet more then we need to.

First thing to do with him is to relieve him of his gold burden :smug:

He's a level 2 Wizard and has the Precise Shot feat, which means he doesn't suffer a -4 on his attack roll whenever an enemy is close to one of our characters. This makes him significantly better with a ranged weapon than anyone else in the party, so Yeesh hands over his crossbow for the time being.

Finally, we talk to the innkeeper and inquire about a room for the night. He offers us a permanent room if we catch some gambler in the inn cheating.

We don't care.

Next day we leave for Welkwood Bog. A bunch of goblins Hobgoblins and a Bugbear ambush them.

Serious gets a hit in for respectable damage, but the star of the show is our mage power. Strangelove puts 3 Hobgoblins to sleep, cutting their numbers right in half. A significant change from the IWDs and BGs that I am familiar with is that sleep can affect party members, making it a bit less of an I-Win spell for the early levels. It's still an I-Win button though.

The Bugbear gets his turn immediately after and uses it to knock Chzr down to 0/7 health. In ToEE (in compliance with 3ed D&D rules) 0 HP is not death. At 0 HP you can move but any other action will cause you to lose health and falter. At >-10 health you are not dead, lieing helplessly on the floor slowly losing health over time, but ready to be healed right back up by any normal source of healing instead of requiring an expensive resurrection spell. -10 health or less is dead dead.

Yeesh casts a quick heal to get Chzr out of the danger zone. Spugnoir has had enough of this Bugbear and charms him.

All that's left is a single weak Hobgoblin that Dolores cleans up.

At this point we have to get rid of our Bugbear friend. We would be happy to leave him in peace, but he has XP and he won't give it to us unless we kill him. Dolores trips him and does some damage.

At this point I learn to be careful where I click to open the command menu. Apparently because I clicked somewhere near Dolores when ordering Chzr to manually attack the Bugbear (which you need to do since its still friendly), ToEE decided I wanted to shoot Dolores. SORRY!~ :oops:

As the bugbear tries to get up, it is mercilessly smashed by both Dolores and Serious. Sucks to be him.

Another random complaint about the ToEE engine: I have no idea how to effectively use the Coup de Grace (kill an enemy that is knocked out on the ground instantly). Since you need a full turn to use the Coup de Grace you have to manually move your character right up next to them in real time, activate combat mode, and then use it and leave combat mode. You can't just right click on an enemy in real time to automatically kill them, or use your entire party to kill them during 1 turn of combat mode. All you can do is use 1 character in combat mode to kill 1 enemy per turn, because combat auto ends whenever no hostiles are present. :retarded:

In spite of this, we clean up the goblins and take their shinies, which are unfortunately not very shiny.

Here we are at Welkwood Bog. Nice place.

The first area is empty except for a patrol group that tells us the Bog is empty, and forcefully asks us to follow them out. We decline. Multiple times. They vanish into thin air.

Next area.

Some Goblins.

Goblins are weak. Serious takes a minor scratch but the group is cleaned up. There is one higher level goblin but he gets tripped and thats the end of him.

We snatch a shield and short spear for Yeesh, who was going barehanded after he passed a crossbow off to Spugnoir.

Some more scattered goblins are in the area. Nothing worth speaking of, really.

Next area appears to be some kind of camp.

Why, it appears we walked into a trap. :roll:

The battle isn't going too bad but we are clearly outnumbered and our frontliner's are starting to get flanked. That gives +2 to the enemy attack roll and increases their overall chance to hit nearly 50%. I decide to check out Spugnoir's Burning Hands. This spell kicked ass in IE games, but apparently the attack shape is significantly different and harder to use since it is a 180 degree spray instead of a focused cone.

So Strangelove uses sleep again, with excellent results.

Yeesh takes some ugly damage, so he's moved to the back of the group

A Goblin leader appears and gets behind Serious.

The leader then decides to run straight into the back of the group, dodging multiple AoO's, and takes off 7 of Spugnoir's 8 health. How the fuck he scored a sneak attack I don't know.

Serious takes a bit of damage, leaving him at 1/15 himself.

With a bunch of tripping, lots of dancing, and a bit of luck we manage to win the fight regardless.

At this point we have a bit of a conundrum. We are certainly too weak to go further. If we retreat to Hommlet to rest we might be ambushed and raped. If we try to rest here we might also be ambushed and raped. I decide to rest here, since if worst comes to worst I can throw a sleep spell on any goblin ambushers. I have no idea if what we fight on the return trip to Hommlet will be at all possible for our group.

I have some potions, but they are unidentified. Do I just need to cast identify on each and every one of them? That would entail a lot of rest spamming. IE games had the sense to have a skill that was used to identify cheap stuff like this, but as far as I can tell there is nothing like that in ToEE.

Thankfully our rest is uneventful.

We heal up and continue, dispatching a few straggler goblins.

We find a Goblin that appears non-hostile.

So we are up against a lich. Or something that might just be fooling us into thinking its a lich. Proud Codexians gather together to take down this evil.

Yeesh

Magister
Overweight Manatee said:
I have some potions, but they are unidentified. Do I just need to cast identify on each and every one of them? That would entail a lot of rest spamming. IE games had the sense to have a skill that was used to identify cheap stuff like this, but as far as I can tell there is nothing like that in ToEE.
Jesus, really? Identify every potion by spell? That would be a head-scratcher of a design decision.

Vibalist

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:

How do you access this screen where you can see the Air Elemental's stats? I'm playing the game as well and can't figure out how to do this.

RK47

Patron
I thought there was an identify potion/scroll spell as level 0 spells? I could be wrong.

Drakron

Arcane
There should been a skill for that, this is 3rd Ed. D&D and not 2nd Ed. AD&D.

However there is not, fucking stupid.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Vibalist said:
Overweight Manatee said:

How do you access this screen where you can see the Air Elemental's stats? I'm playing the game as well and can't figure out how to do this.

Click the blue text in the combat log (the part that says [Charcter name] [hits/misses] [monster])

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can use the Read Magic spell to ID both scrolls and potions. It's one spell per potion though, so that sucks. I don't quite remember, maybe you can ID stacks at a time, but as far as I remember, there's no stacking potions until they're ID'ed.
Oh, and do remember, casting Identify on unidentified magical items will cost you 100gp in material components. It's expensive finding out what the new McGuffin of Destruction you just picked up can do.
So, for zero level spells, you're well off taking Read Magic..
As to sneak attacks, you don't need to be hidden to perform them. You just need to flank your enemy. Positioning is key here. If you have a rogue, make sure said rogue flank attacks in nearly all his/her attacks. And you can also sneak attack with ranged weapons, as long as you're in close range I think.

Flanking bonuses are good for non-rogues as well, they get the +to hit, they just don't get the xd6 sneak attack damage bonus.

dolio

Scholar
Later on you can create (or possibly buy, but I'm not certain about that) the helm of reading magic, which lets you cast read magic at will.

There are a few other ways to get sneak attacks as well:
  • 1. paralysis, or otherwise rendering them helpless (sleep, too; and you can coup de grace with both)
    2. successfully feinting
    3. being invisible
The last two fall under the general category of denying someone their dexterity AC bonus. And invisibility is practically (actually?) broken, it's so good.

The third level spell invisibility sphere creates an area that makes people invisible, and it doesn't stop working when you attack (it also makes anyone entering the area invisible, friend or foe; it's a complete cock-up of the spell, really). So laying one of those down lets a ranged rogue sneak attack anyone within 30 feet for as long as the invisibility sphere lasts.

Once you get fourth level spells, the rogue can move around using improved invisibility (which is actually supposed to work that way).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom