Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Dark Heart of Uukrul! -- Dead and done!

torpid

Liturgist
Those crazy Japanese games sure do take a toll. Some time off is what you need :salute:

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Does anyone happen to have reliable info on the complete original contents of the DOS version of Uukrul?

Player guide I know, but I can't tell if the codes/copy protection thingies are inserts or part of the player guide.

maestro2k

Novice
Does anyone happen to have reliable info on the complete original contents of the DOS version of Uukrul?

Player guide I know, but I can't tell if the codes/copy protection thingies are inserts or part of the player guide.

For the Apple IIGS version ( which I believe the DOS was packaged in similar fashion) had the code wheel as a separate thing from the guide. (Incidentally, It also contained a bright orange sheet of paper saying, whatever you do, DO NOT SWALLOW Adrian's Die).

Anyway, if you search for it, you can find the copy protection online (I'd post a link...but don't know the Codex's rules on such things).

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
maestro2k said:

For the Apple IIGS version ( which I believe the DOS was packaged in similar fashion) had the code wheel as a separate thing from the guide. (Incidentally, It also contained a bright orange sheet of paper saying, whatever you do, DO NOT SWALLOW Adrian's Die).

Anyway, if you search for it, you can find the copy protection online (I'd post a link...but don't know the Codex's rules on such things).

Yeah, thanks. I ask because one of these days I'd like to find a complete boxed copy.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Two weeks have passed since the last update, and it's time to roll on, I guess. Another short update is in order; bloody work & study commitments keep me from making a properly long update. I know I promised to post this update on Thursday, but "Thursday" means "when it's ready" in Codexian, so you can't really blame me for that. Yeah.

16: Plagued

Previously on this LP, we bought a fancy Enchanted Mail and entered the URRAN dungeon aptly called the Sanctuary Beyond Reason:

3879.jpg

We find ourselves in a short corridor with an inscription on the northern wall:

7143.jpg

spekkio's NGOSMUR manages to translate it almost fully:

7144.jpg

"Disbelieve your eyes -- these passages veil many lies".
Sounds quite :twisted:, yay.

The corridor ends with a door...

7145.jpg

...which we enter and...

7146.jpg

OH GOSH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SHIT
A door upon a door upon a door upon a door upon...
:retarded:

7147.jpg

The automap looks funny, but at least, you know, it works.

It won't soon enough. :o

So let's start exploring this twisted dungeon, shall we?

7148.jpg

We'll be exploring just one passage in this update -- the one right to the left of the door through which we enter the, uhm, room of many doors.

7149.jpg

Another corridor, hell yeah.
We cross it and enter the western door:

7150.jpg

"You cannot map this area". Meaning this is a puzzle room.
Oh, and the door has disappeared behind our backs!
:decline:

This room is small and looks totally like this:

7142.jpg

As you can see, nothing fancy here, right?
Red is the door we've entered this room through -- which has now disappeared -- and green is...

7151.jpg

...a secret door!
We try looking for a device to open it:

7152.jpg

Success!
Inside is a one-square room with four doors -- a typical mind-breaking design in this game. Even our compass has ceased to operate:

7153.jpg

:smug:
From what I've gathered, two of the four doors lead back to the puzzle room, so we have to look for the same secret door again:

7154.jpg

And then again:

7155.jpg

:x

Of course we must memorize the doors we've already been through to make it somewhat less of an exercise in futility.
But finally we enter the correct door, finding ourselves in another room, with an inscription beckoning us:

7156.jpg

It's totally mappable, by the way:

7157.jpg

One problem though:

7158.jpg

Meh, it's just a couple of bats. Nothing too serious, right?

7159.jpg

Two birds and two bats.
We've been surprised, meaning the foes get an additional turn.

7160.jpg

Ouch!
The bird is a Moa, by the way.

7161.jpg

:o
Lord Rocket strikes a Giant Bat for 11 hp, and Bee lays her hands on Kalos:

7162.jpg

Phew, that was close.
Kalos tries reciting RALKOR, but bloody Ufthu doesn't heed his call. Thanks to my tactical genius poor Kalos is stuck in a corner, to boot, so he sure does get his share of hits:

7163.jpg

Uh-oh. Being stunned is p. bad, you know.
spekkio casts SEL to improve our armour class. Kalos keeps getting attacked:

7164.jpg

:M
Lord Rocket gets really angry!

7165.jpg

One of the bats is almost dead. :incline:

7166.jpg

Uh-oh.

7167.jpg

Totally :decline:! This fight is p. frustrating. :/
So yeah, dear readers, Bee is plagued. You better keep your distance!

7168.jpg

My limbs have grown weak, it seems. :/

7169.jpg

:rpgcodex:
Fuck this shit!

Another Giant Bat rips at Lord Rocket and cuts him for 36 hp. Lord Rocket strikes at the bat in response, but totally misses.
spekkio casts SHUMAKIM on Bee, a silver healing spell supposed to be quite powerful...

6 SHUMAKIM The Silver Salve

The silver salve Spell is again more powerful. It will mend skin and flesh, healing serious wounds quickly.

...but it doesn't help much for some reason.

7170.jpg

Poor Bee. :cry:
This time, however, SHUMAKIM proves its worth, restoring Bee's hp to the full. Nice.
And Lord Rocket finally finishes a bat off:

7171.jpg

:incline:
Next turn Kalos is no longer stunned, which is good. The problem is, Bee is plagued, and her hp keeps diminishing p. quickly. But now that Kalos is back in order, he can recite SIRDHE to keep our party afloat:

7172.jpg

As you may remember, Bee can also lay her hand upon enemies to drain them of their hp. That may not work on the undead, but it does work on birdies:

7173.jpg

That's rather cool.
Next turn the Giant Bat hits Rocket for some whopping 60 hp, and a Moa rips at our dear Bee:

7174.jpg

Grrrr. Enraged, Bee strikes back at the Moa for 48 hp. Then spekkio-kun casts his favourite spell, KUN:

7175.jpg

As you surely remember, KUN is an area of effect spell:

9 KUN The Furnace of the Mind

When Kun is cast the caster's psychic energy becomes a sheet of white hot flame which surges outward in all directions. All enemies within ten feet shall be covered by this flame.

Both Moas lose some hp, even if not that many.
Meanwhile, the Bat spits poison at Bee, making her not only plagued but also poisoned:

7176.jpg

:x

After a couple of turns, spekkio's AMRAS finally slays the nasty bat:

7177.jpg

But, uhm, we've got a problem here, folks. It looks like plague is contagious. Now not only Bee is plagued, but also spekkio:

7178.jpg

:roll:
But anyways. Bee attacks a Moa for 78 hp, and spekkio's AMRAS seals the deal again:

7179.jpg

And then Kalos' RALKOR puts the remaining birdie to an eternal rest. FINALLY!
And our reward is...

7180.jpg

Oh lordy lord that's A LOT of exp!!
:incline: :incline: :incline:

7181.jpg

The loot is scant, but it's the exp that really matters.
Now we can finally approach the inscription:

7182.jpg

It turns out to be some kind of drawing:

7183.jpg

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's part of another puzzle. :?
And then we're back to the unmappable room:

7184.jpg

Both Bee and spekkio are plagued. Good thing we're carrying a plague antidote!

7185.jpg

Now Bee is cured from the plague, yay!
But, well, how do I put it? It's here that I messed it up. :oops: I should get more sleep or something. I totally forgot for a moment that plague is contagious and so decided to open the secret door first before curing spekkio -- and so Bee got the plague AGAIN! It's all spekkio's fault, I swear! He was keeping too close to Bee!
In other news, I should've read the manual more carefully:

PLAGUED: the character will lose hit points steadily unless cured. Plague is contagious and may cause other characters to become infected.

Yeah, yeah, I know.
The MAJOR problem is, we've run out of the Plague antidote. :P We must REALLY hurry back to the sanctuary and then to the hospice to get cured of the plague lest we should die a horrible, horrible death! :o

ANOTHER problem is, we're lost. There's no other door in this puzzle room apart from the one we've already been through ... so how the hell do we exit the room!?
Meanwhile, Bee's and spekkio's health is steadily decreasing...

7186.jpg

Well, at least the poison is no longer a problem. :roll:
And then I get a bright idea. So two of the four doors lead back to the puzzle room, one to the room with the inscription ... but what about the fourth one?

7187.jpg

Hell yeah! :incline:
We're back in the room of many doors! To the west ASAP!!

7188.jpg

And now on to the hospice! As you can see, our HP is at a dangerously low level.

7189.jpg

We choose to Cure all diseases.

7190.jpg

Yup, OF COURSE.

7191.jpg

And the plague is gone, yay!
:incline:

We also heal our wounds:

7192.jpg

And our HP is fully restored. This has been one heck of a crawl.

Next time: oh god it's heavan!

(I'll do my best to post the next update in a couple of days, dear readers, so stay tuned!)

circ

Arcane
WEAKLING!

I hate Uukrul. And any game with samey corridor romping with no end in sight, which translates to 90% of dungeon crawlers. I never could understand how people could bear the monotony. OCD?

torpid

Liturgist
:love:

Crooked Bee said:
But, uhm, we've got a problem here, folks. It looks like plague is contagious. Now not only Bee is plagued, but also spekkio

Heh, that's pretty awesome. I don't know of any other game where diseases can spread from one character to another.

circ said:
I hate Uukrul. And any game with samey corridor romping with no end in sight, which translates to 90% of dungeon crawlers. I never could understand how people could bear the monotony. OCD?

XP man. Did you see all the XP she got after that fight? How could you turn that down.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
circ said:
I hate Uukrul. And any game with samey corridor romping with no end in sight, which translates to 90% of dungeon crawlers. I never could understand how people could bear the monotony.

You graphics whore, you!
I mean, really, monotony? What monotony? Traps, puzzles, tough monsters, virtue and psychic points management, rings management, exploration-centred spells and prayers, a p. decent amount of tactics for an RPG, etc. Everything you do you must do meaningfully and only when fully awake. A mystery around every corner! And so on.

In other words,

circ said:

Sure! :P

I mean, Uukrul is pretty much the ideal dungeon crawler. Then again, I've grown to prefer dungeon crawlers over every other RPG subgenre lately, so different strokes, etc.

circ

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
You graphics whore, you!
I mean, really, monotony? What monotony? Traps, puzzles, tough monsters, virtue and psychic points management, rings management, exploration-centred spells and prayers, a p. decent amount of tactics for an RPG, etc. Everything you do you must do meaningfully and only when fully awake. A mystery around every corner! And so on.
Yeah, I've never given Uukrul a shot beyond an hour or so because it's just running up and down a corridor(s) that all look the same. I knew about some riddles and puzzles, but it actually seems to be a very complex game. Still, I like some variety in my scenery.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Game probably had to fit on one of those old-stlye thin floppies.

It's a small miracle that sagaris even has comments about the different items i guess.

You'll not enjoy RoA1 either.

spekkio

Arcane
So...

I've caught some STD from Bee... Who caught it from a bat?

:hmmm:

Not sure if :incline: or :decline:...

CB said:
And so Bee got the plague AGAIN! It's all spekkio's fault, I swear! He was keeping too close to Bee!
A well assembled party ineed... :M

tl;dr

:love:

maestro2k

Novice
In an attempt to get to a new page QUICKLY (and to satisfy my own curiosity), Bee, have you started to use graph paper to map the unmappable areas, or are you using some kind of computer program? (Or are you incredibly brave and doing it all in your head?)

Awesome update!

:thumbsup:

And hey, whatever kinky stuff you, spekkio, and some random bat are into is your own business.

:D

Crooked Bee

Patron
:D

maestro2k said:
Bee, have you started to use graph paper to map the unmappable areas, or are you using some kind of computer program? (Or are you incredibly brave and doing it all in your head?)

I'm mostly mapping them by hand, yeah, but not in an obsessively meticulous way. Rather, I usually draw a rough outline of the unmappable room, mark the exits, add some notes, stuff like that. That's a constant work in progress, so the maps get quite messy and I doubt anyone but me would be able to decypher them. But otherwise I just wouldn't be able to remember where I've already been to and where not. And I'm not that brave, no siree. :P

maestro2k

Novice
Haha, I remember the first time playing through this, my Dad was DEFINITELY the meticulous kind. Graph paper and true 1:1 mapping for ALL unmappable areas. And also writing down EVERY little sign we deciphered...including the ones arguing which kind of ration was better (which, IIRC, were near the market place).

I'm grinning with anticipation as to what you'll find next in that room with like a million doors.

torpid

Liturgist
Suddenly there are a lot more than 5 people following this LP. Looks like delaying the update caused a bunch of folks to come out of the woodwork. "Need... updates..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom