Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Destroid

Arcane
Shame about the crash, but good show nonetheless. Did you manage to get the ballista working?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Destroid said:
Shame about the crash, but good show nonetheless. Did you manage to get the ballista working?

Yeah, such a shame, mostly because the outcome of that goblin ambush was much different of how it was later...

The hunter 'Berekan' discovered the goblin ambush when he stumbled with one of the goblins face to face. He started to shot his crossbow against them, I thought I was going to lose my dwarven avatar in Codexia, as he got very badly hurt by the dirty fuckers but suddenly all the War Dogs I had trained came running without any warning and started attacking the Goblins, amongst them was the War Giant Jaguar I had bought earlier and later trained, who caused terror amongst the goblins when he started killing and ripping their arms off them with his teeth. The goblins who weren't killed quickly ran away, and the only losses we got were a few war dogs. Shit was so epic!

And no, I couldn't manage to get it properly working, I made a special burrow for the ballista, set it as one of the permitted burrows in the alert screen and even asigned the Siege Operator to the burrow manually, but the bastard wouldn't come, looks like he had enough with killing his comrade :rpgcodex:

root said:
who's muty?

YESLICKL.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Good show, eagerly waiting for new developments. The giant building at the entrance was the original animal pen and I was planning to turn it into a giant tower after the animals trampled the grass into sand but ran out of time, of course.

As to the ballista, it may be that it's too close to the enemy when they are coming through the main entrance - I seem to remember that siege operators got very easily scared of goblins.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm going to be fairly busy the next few months, so I'm going to have to bow out of this. Better let it be known now than immediately before it's my turn.

Phelot

Arcane
Fortificatoins.png

Yeah, I recall this was the animal pen. Isn't it a good thing to keep the animals safe?

Eagerly awaiting the next leader :salute:

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
1st Granite, 255, Early Spring

At the dawn of the new year the mighty count of Fair Codexia appointed a new cabinet to relieve the administrative pressure from his old back. The brave peasant Muty was elected as mayor. The new bookkeeper, broker, manager and cheif medical dwarf just started planing their new offices. A captain of the guard was also appointed and he quickly started assembling a team of trusty guardsmen

7CZpF.png

With those brib.... that task set aside the humble dorfs started digging out new offices and storage rooms to accommodate all the magnificent crafts that will be produced and started cleaning out that huge pile of furniture in front of the main entrance in order to make room for more sinister traps and the new balista nest.

JiVW1.png

bVQLc.png

18 useless migrants have arrived... At least a good diagonser showed up with them, we have a new chief medical dwarf. The others will be quickly designated as cannon fodder.

12th Felsite

That pesky elven carvan arrived today.
ciDv7.png

The temptation to slaughter them for their delicious meat is high, but we will resist it for now.

Krash

Arcane
:thumbsup: Berekän, a very violent year to be sure. Well, at least those goblins graciously donated to the dwarf armor and weapons fund.

GarfunkeL said:
As to the ballista, it may be that it's too close to the enemy when they are coming through the main entrance - I seem to remember that siege operators got very easily scared of goblins.

Very easily scared indeed. Add to that that ballistas have lousy aim and take forever to load - unless you've got legendary operators and top notch ballista parts - and you see why I mostly don't bother with them. Of course, it's just soooo satisfying when they manage to score a hit... often the results is invader pieces strewn all over the place.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
8th Hematite

The dwarfs started the construction of the ballista defense and further expanded the storage areas. The armorsmiths were busy creating admantine breastplates for the glory of our army.

Obok Borlontrist was taken by fey mood. Let's see what he is going to come up with.

cthLD.png

Meh, not even one menacing spike on it.

Five new bums decided to call our fortress home, at least one of them is a decent siege operator. This is going to be useful.
The fortress population is now at 102 dwarfs.

14th Galena, Late Summer

The Human Caravan from Emmunanthath arrived. They brought with them lots of ammo and weapons. The trade was good, more than 30k worth of goods were exchanged.

And then suddenly...

101a2.png

SIEGE! Dwarf the ballistae! Station the Squads!

VEP0h.png

I expected a bit more than a dozen goblins, but its better than nothing I guess.

They arrived just in time to test the defence. A brief tour of the system follows:

2gbmT.png

The ballistae are placed in such a way that they cover every row of the main corridor. The hole in front of them and the fortifications stop the enemies from coming too close.
A bridge is used as a safety cover, controlled by the lever behind the ballistae. When raised, siege operators can safely practice and accidental fun is prevented.
The old place where the ballista was placed is perfect for stationing the squad of marksdwarfs.

Enough blabbering, let's see how it works!

HgzpM.png

Ooops, looks like it hit one of our own, but the brave dwarf survived... only to be brutally slain a few moments later.

XPpiv.png

A fierce fight raged on for a few days.

M0Hqa.png

With help from the humans the nasty goblins were slain like pigs.

hfVmX.png

The last surviving forces of the enemy started a desperate retreat, but they didn't got very far.

gYL2c.png

Only one goblin managed to make it out alive and in a last attempt to score a hit it killed...

ZnEnD.png

A bunny! Poor thing...

RAfDk.png

After the thunder of battle died out and the dwarfs emerged victorious, songs and laughter could be overheard coming from the meeting hall. The master engravers started chisling out epic scenes from the fight and the masons made shiny new coffins for the fallen in battle. The spirit was high and everyone was happy that they still had most of their bodyparts attached to them.

Destroid

Arcane
accidental fun is prevented.

:rpgcodex:

On the upside, the defences look quite efficient so a new player won't immediately lose if they get a siege. I wonder if we actually have any inexperienced players in the list though?

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Destroid said:
accidental fun is prevented.

:rpgcodex:

On the upside, the defences look quite efficient so a new player won't immediately lose if they get a siege. I wonder if we actually have any inexperienced players in the list though?

I think I'm next. I'm pretty good with DF, but I've never played done a succession game before, and I've never taken or uploaded any screenshots before. Can I get some help getting the saved game set up and taking screenshots so I can start updating soon after Muty's turn is done?

Destroid

Arcane
We've just been passing a zip of the directory, extract and play. For screenshots you can use fraps or just use alt print scrn to capture an image of the current window.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, PrintScrn, then paste it into Paint.net (freeware basic editor, better than MS Paint), crop as needed/add text if wanted, then upload to imgur.com or whatever service you want to use.

Good call with the ballistae, Muty!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Muty said:
A bunny! Poor thing...

RAfDk.png

:lol: :lol: So the goblin got butthurt after losing and he releived his anger on the poor bunny, these kind of things are why I love DF :D

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
:x DF crashed after 3 months for me too. I guess I'm going to finish my turn tomorrow then...

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
4th Sandstone, Mid Autumn

11 new useless migrants have arrived. It is time to expand the living quarters.

JWF45.png

9th Timber

A Forgotten beast has emergred from the depths of hell!

V8Qh1.png

The dwarfs where quick to react , but before the military managed to get to it, a humble sopamaker wasn't lucky enough and quickly bacme a tasty snack.

uUIBU.png

Both squads swiftly dealt with the beast and not a single military dwarf was lost that day.

15th Timber

The Dawrven caravan arrived. They had a list of items that they needed for next year:

bj88Z.png

An ambush! The sneaky goblins came right after the caravan. Good thing that our defenses worked flawlessly.

YLyOj.png

5th Opal, Early Winter

Another forgotten beast attacked our mighty fortress, but he was slain so quickly that almost nobody noticed.

The dwarfs started preparing for the new year celebration!

[SAVE]

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
So the fortress of Anusblaze was attacked by a bloated one-eyed serpent. DF is fucking great, and so is the codex.

Anyway, I will begin my turn soon. Any suggestions as to what I should work on building for the fortress. Now change the thread subtitle to "Reign of the Theocrat".

TripJack

Hedonist
JagreenLern said:
Any suggestions as to what I should work on building for the fortress

start digging greedily and deeply

we require magma to become truly prosperous

Krash

Arcane
Yes digging... you're a miner in the game aren't you? We require more lava/adamantine!

Also, I think we've been lucky so far with forgotten beasts. Last night I was clearing up the underworld (4 forgotten beasts) and one had paralyzing dust which made dwarfs defenseless, one had choking dust which killed mostly pets, one was almost indestructible (made of some crystal) and threw webs, and the last was flying and spread poison which made the hearts of contaminated dwarves rot. A full squad of adamantine clad and armed legendariy axedwarves died before i managed to win, and I lost about half a dozen other dwarfs to horrible disease and poison afterwards.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ulminati has mandated the construction of a pump stack to fill a magma resevoir
Ulminati has mandated the construction of a mechanism to rapidly empty said magma resevoir immediately outside the main gate to incinerate anything that looks at us funny. (Probably a faggy elven caravan).

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Great work Muty! Anusblaze won't fall easily with the new defenses, shame about the crash, looks like we're starting an epidemic of crashes here.

We should dig more and, when ready, slaughter those damned elves, we've endured them enough.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
The Theocrat's Reign Begins

On the first day of the year 256, a strange event occurred in the dwarven fortress of Anusblaze. The spirit of Jagreen Lern, the slain master miner from the early years of the fortress, departed from the halls of the revered ancestors, and took possession of the body of Olon Ushrirottem, guard captain of Anusblaze.

JmGgg.png

He then proclaimed himself to be the Theocrat of Anusblaze, the President of the Council of Laborers and Soldiers of Anusblaze, the Chairman of the Communist Party of Anusblaze, as well as Captain of the Guard of Anusblaze, and demanded to be given effective control over the day-to-day affairs of the fortress for the next year. Although frightened by the return of his fallen companion, and bewildered at the wraiths bizarre political jargon and long list of strange titles, Esterlith, who had recently been elevated to the status of duke, was unwilling to compromise his authority. The Master of Declined then called the militia to dispatch the spirit, but they where unwilling to strike down the host of a revered ancestor.

The shade of the great miner then told the Master of Decline a story of another dwarven nobleman. The nobleman had incurred the wrath of his people, who then deposed him and imprisoned him and his family within the halls of another minor fortress. One day the council of workers in control of the fortress gathered the noble family together under the pretense of having the stoneworkers engrave a picture of the family on a newly smoothed wall. When the "engravers" arrived, they where carrying crossbows instead of chisels, and they proceed to execute the entire family.

Understanding the implication of the story, Esterlith acquiesced, on the condition the he be allowed to retain his noble titles and privileges, and that no one from the Mountainhomes be informed that his authority was compromised by a revolution consisting of a single raving apparition and its host.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
Damn. I fucked up the color and font size thing for the into. I'll try to fix it at some point. I've never done an LP of any sort before, so my updates might not be the prettiest, but I'll try to add some character to make up for it.

K fixed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom