Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's go on a Whale's Voyage! -- Blow it all up! -- Done!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:salute:

torpid said:
Bee, are you running multiple LPs at the same time? :o

Yup. And you've missed my short 2400 A.D. LP, which was quite a bit of fun. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5: Lapis: Of Hearts and Traitors

Previously on this LP we finished exploring Penthe, shrank Greg Morgan and received the heart from Max Flesh.
And now

MMXI said:
Carrying an instant heart in a jar together with a man on a compact disk, the crew fly to Lapis in a ship shaped like a whale.

Indeed! :P

We buy some fuel.

And then select Lapis as our destination.

Lapis is apparently a poor mining planet.

LAPIS
This planet is extremely inhospitable, as it is closest to the sun and the climate is very hot and dry. The settlers are few and far between, and live in villages of container-like structures which can easily be rebuilt in a different place. This is necessary, as volcano eruptions are frequent and put the settlers in danger. There are violent sandstorms and "rockstorms", which have left the containers looking dusty, dirty and dented.

The settlers' main source of income is mining, as Lapis is rich in ores and minerals. These are extracted in extensive mining operations scattered across the entire surface of the planet.

As this rocky planet is a relatively long way from the system's centre, it is hardly surprising that a good many criminals and other shady characters have found refuge here. This makes it comparatively dangerous for adventurers to move about on their own outside the protection of the city.

According to rumour, more and more adventurers and treasure hunters have made for the planet recently: it is said that out on one of the boundless, unprotected plains where the rockstorms rage, a prospector came upon a huge vein of platinum. He radioed the find through to his base station, but before he could give its position he fell victim to the storm! Ever since, one courageous "scanner" after another has set out into the endless wilderness in search of the mine, but very few return.

We press "Start the Whale".

The screen flashes!

Ignition!

The engine starts!

And the Whale flies off into space! :salute:

Here we are on Lapis. (No random encounters during our first flight.) Let's beam down!

Yay, orangey!

Krueger is the first NPC we meet.

7973.jpg
Hello, what is your name?

8001.jpg
Hi boys! Can I help you! My name is Krueger.

Gosh, I love this game's writing. :lol:

7973.jpg
Have you got any news for us?

Hypo-coco? Sounds fun!

7973.jpg
What are you doing?

8001.jpg
If you need something special, just tell me.

Something... special? :roll:

7973.jpg
What can you get?

8001.jpg
Krueger will fetch you anything you need!

Hmm, okay. This guy says he can get anything for us, but we don't have the option to ask him for anything specific. Let's leave it at that for now.

Lots of empty rooms and chairs around here.

As well as some... mineral deposits? bee hives? It is a mystery.

Meet Baumann.

Baumann is collecting taxes, but he doesn't have anything useful to share.

7973.jpg
May we ask you a question?

:roll: 'Kay, whatever.

John Sac is working in the mines. Another meaningless NPC, at least for the moment.

Now that we're carrying the heart, we get attacked by random thugs from time to time. Yay for random encounters!

The thugs drop Small Bore Guns as they drop dead.

And it looks like there's a Healing device in this town as well.

Yeah, one thing I forgot to capture earlier is the Joker job. Korenzel is our Joker; apparently he tells jokes from time to time to give our morale a boost. Whenever that happens, the message "Joker is joking... har, har, har..." appears. :lol: Wacky.

And then we finally find Jack Nock. Let's ask him about the heart.

7973.jpg
We have got a heart that we should give you.

8002.jpg
I know, Max Flesh told me. I have got the money for you.

He's got the money, he says. Should we trust him, folks?

7973.jpg
What can you tell us about this heart?

8002.jpg
You must know, this heart is for an important man.

Fair enough. At least we know it's a man.
We also have a certain Greg Morgan, uhm, shrinked on a CD.

Jack says he can re-shrink him. Oh-kay.
Let's now give him the heart...

(He gives us the money. We are indeed richer now! :salute:)
...and the CD:

When Jack un-shrinks him, Greg Morgan turns out to be a traitor! :o And he's...

...attacking us from behind! :o
Mrowaksu dies on our first attempt to kill Greg, but on our second try we succeed!

Grotley levels up! :salute: We choose the Search for traps ability for him.

Grotley's now level 3 = "groggy". He needs 7173 more points to reach level 4 = "become a newcomer". :roll:

Greg drops another Small bore gun, which unsurprisingly links him to the thugs we've been killing.

Jack Nock approves of our actions.

8002.jpg
Please leave now, I am busy. I will be back in an hour.

He also tells us to visit him later. We'll be sure to.
Another NPC we meet as we explore Lapis is G. J. Styx. A groovy name.

Styx implores us to give him "anything". I say screw him.

And here's Ferdinand, the local shopkeer.

He's selling a Machete for $1000, SM3 Battle Gas for $1529, Apollo Grenades for 636 each, an Air Pressure Gun for 7436, a Small bore pistol for 10092, Ammunition for 2248, a Toolkit for 1110, and Explosives for 14984.

We sell him two of the four Small bore guns we've looted so far, for $16611 each. Nice!
We also buy some ammo, just in case.

Checking Grotley's stats, we see that his Strength has increased from 34 to 42, Max Health from 33 to 41, Rhetoric from 43 to 45, Honesty from 11 to 12, General Education from 20 to 23, Speed from 36 to 44, IQ from 21 to 26, and Skillfulness from 31 to 41. Kewl. :salute:

Green-clad thugs keep attacking us! :o Hey, we ain't got no heart anymore!

Here's my map of Lapis -- or rather the small town on Lapis we've explored. Just in case someone's gonna use this LP as a walkthrough or something. Dotted lines are doors:

Whale's Voyage -- Lapis map

We beam up to the Whale. Now that we have the moneyz ($150231 !), I guess it's finally time to start trading!

Let's see what's being sold here.

Food $900
Infusions $21500
Titanium $2936
Gold $1231337 (!!)
Calcium $1600
Oxygencarbonat $11872
Textiles $265
Opticals $11500
Water $90
Latex $1059
Drugs $15624
Iron $5000
Bauxit $6686
Radioactives $950 (??)
Medicine supplies $124507
Wine surrogate $2650

Hmm, given that Lapis is a mining planet I wonder if we should buy some minerals to sell them elsewhere...

Next time: trading! space battles! etc.

korenzel

Educated
Castra seems to have a shortage of Titanium, which is cheaper than Iron and Bauxite on Lapis.

Lapis lacks any high tech commodity, such as Computer Parts and Video Games, a situation that must be remedied at once.

Can you check the prices goods will be bought for along with sale prices ?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fowyr said:
I wonder what was that before translation.

No idea. :?

korenzel said:
Castra seems to have a shortage of Titanium, which is cheaper than Iron and Bauxite on Lapis.

Lapis lacks any high tech commodity, such as Computer Parts and Video Games, a situation that must be remedied at once.

Thanks! I was thinking along those lines too.

korenzel said:
Can you check the prices goods will be bought for along with sale prices ?

You mean beforehand? Nope. Only after you've bought them and brought them to the planet on which you want to sell them, alas. At least I haven't found any other way so far.

I guess I'm just supposed to follow the planets' description from the manual for now. Bear in mind I haven't started trading yet, so I dunno if new options are going to appear as I progress. Perhaps some devices that will help me trade, evaluate the goods, or some such.

Crooked Bee

Patron
@MMXI
:lol: Yeah, this game's writing is comedy gold.

@korenzel
Bought a device called Economy Scanner. Now I can see the current buy/sell prices beforehand for different planets. :incline:

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Shit is cash.
But I've seen a line about someone dying and you reloading. Why is that?

Morkar Left

There's no point in playing it hardcore. The controls are as horrible as it can get and makes sure that your party members will die very often. I really liked the game but never finished it because of the combat controls. Why there isn't a least mouse-support is way beyond me.

The game has very interesting concepts, the charcreation is fun and get a level is always interesting because of the special abilities. Space combat is turnbased and I really enjoyed it even if very simple. Nice equipment and i like the poor space trader/adventure thing (Firefly anybodey?). On the downside the worlds are a bit empty and lifeless and of course the horrible, horrible combat controls :retarded:

Please go on crooked bee, I'm very interested in reading further :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, Morkar :salute:

Orgasm said:
But I've seen a line about someone dying and you reloading. Why is that?

I just didn't feel like bothering with resurrection. In this game you can only save when aboard the Whale, but given that beaming up and down is piss easy, I tend to save quite frequently.

As for why I died in the first place, well, it took me some time at first to even figure out I was being attacked by Greg Morgan from behind. :P

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
As for why I died in the first place, well, it took me some time at first to even figure out I was being attacked by Greg Morgan from behind. :P
It seems to me that it was a bad case of

surprise buttsex, then.

:yeah:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Alright, dear readers, since -- unsurprisingly -- I still haven't beaten the Cube in Uukrul, I may as well add another update to this LP. So here you go.

6: Inoid

In which we trade a lot and reclaim the heart.

Previously on this LP we brought the heart and the CD to Jack Nock, Greg Morgan turned out to be a traitor so we killed him, and Jack told us to come back later. Which means we have nothing better to do for now than trade, trade, trade. Trading being, after all, an important aspect to this game.

3pOS4.jpg

We have $150231 at our disposal at the moment. Following korenzel's sound advice, we buy some minerals on Lapis to later sell them on Castra. We buy 20 tons of Titanium, 5 of Iron, and 10 of Calcium.

IZ3DR.jpg

We fly to Castra to sell it all. Trading is pretty straightforward in this game: buy where it's cheaper, sell where it's rarer and more expensive. There are some goods we can't be trading in for now, as the Whale isn't yet equipped with a Refrigerator device, such as (according to the manual) Food, Infusions, Brain implants, Drugs, Medicine supplies, and Blood surrogate. Another thing to keep in mind is, the more of an item you sell on a planet, the lower price you are offered; which is kinda natural. The prices tend to go back to normal after a while, though, so sometimes you just have to wait a bit. And diversifying the items you trade in never hurts either.

But anyway. Buying minerals on Lapis to sell them on Castra has indeed paid off. The delta (Sell_2 - Buy_1) for Calcium is $2338, for Iron $3094, for Bauxit $3214, and for Titanium $1632. We now have ca. $200000 and can afford upgrading our ship a bit.

CR1DJ.jpg

Given that we are eventually to encounter space battles, we start with some firepower for $81103. We have $135930 left.

7n34j.jpg

Let's do it the other way 'round now. On Castra, we buy some technological stuff such as Sound receivers (10 tons), Computer games (10 tons), and Computer parts (5 tons), hoping we'll find demand for them on Lapis.
And we indeed do. :P Our wealth goes up to ca. $200000 again. Rinse and repeat.

oUEpN.jpg

The only mistake I made was buying the mysterious Oxygencarbonate, as it turned out to be more expensive on Lapis than on Castra. Oh well. We made a nice profit anyway.

Ksj72.jpg

On Castra, we buy a device called Economy scanner, and boy it makes a big difference now. You see, an Economy scanner lets you scan planets for prices on different goods beforehand:

21Nkf.jpg

:incline:
From now on, I don't really need to cover the trading part. I'll just post the following table, which totally covers the trading for this update:

And I'm happy to inform you our wealth is now over $2,000,000. :incline:

We also get our first space combat encounters.

1J995.jpg

This is our ship being attacked by one small space pirate vessel. Being underequipped at the moment, we flee the battle, which is done by reaching either the left or the right border of the screen.

Ze7Au.jpg

On Castra, we buy a cool Bottom Gun.

ICMcs.jpg

As well as an Extra engine, which lets us have more moves per turn in space combat.

4Obso.jpg

In this battle, we are totally overwhelmed by a fleet of six pirate ships, including two big ones, and so barely make it out alive. Phew.
We're badly damaged, and repairing everything costs us quite a bit of dough.

FD7w0.jpg

Cyffp.jpg

We also buy a Mineral Scanner (not sure what it's for yet) and a Back shield on Lapis. :salute:

After several rounds of trading, we beam down to Lapis to visit Jack Nock again.

cSeKx.jpg

:lol: Looks like our poor Jack is ... in a peculiar condition. Namely, he's dead.

ErB1f.jpg

Examining his body, Grotley finds a strange piece of paper. We take it.

YpySS.jpg

Some number are written on it. A telephone number? :?

Tf0x9.jpg

Well, let's try calling it.

nlOyY.jpg

That was indeed a phone number. We explain the situation.

7vXdr.jpg

A totally mysterious voice tells us the heart must be on the planet Inoid and says we "have to" claim it back. Awesum.

Mx9pF.jpg

Inoid is bloody far away. We need 20682 points of fuel to get there from Lapis, and our ship can only carry 20000. Which means we'll need to stop on Castra on our way there.

WCvBn.jpg

On Castra, not sure about what awaits us ahead, we beam down to buy some more ammo for Grotley.

UxP4b.jpg

As well as some poison gas for Mrowaksu.

ijPQM.jpg

Kewl! :twisted:

NBhVN.jpg

By the way. The Whale is now sufficiently well-equipped for us to be able to win battles. :incline:

I decide to trade some more. Also, on Lapis we beam down to buy a Toolkit:

AmLyK.jpg

Just in case, as I don't know if it's at all useful.

FGMZk.jpg

Electrical work? :?

7Fz2e.jpg

We also acquire some explosives. 'Cause explosives are fun. :P

zsINv.jpg

For military use only. :P

ZWBz3.jpg

And of course we can't but buy a can of battle gas for Mrowaksu.

TW1ZC.jpg

Enormous effect, yay!

qgS6K.jpg

Meanwhile, we can finally equip the Whale with a Planet glider, the small scout ship designed to explore the surface of a planet.

Ptmq3.jpg

And then we set sail for Inoid, the planet of eternal winter.

rd0nb.jpg

The Inoid trader looks oh so smug. :smug:

1pwJq.jpg

We can buy some new thingies for our space ship here, such as an Enemy identifier...

C53nx.jpg

...a Firepower Ex. 2...

2BviX.jpg

...an Extra tank...

lMOs4.jpg

...as well as a Front shield. Coolity cool. :salute:

As we choose to beam down to Inoid...

Mhtlv.jpg

...we are presented with a totally new screen! That's because we've got a Planet glider now.
Not many options here for now; the number of options should increase as we continue equipping the Whale.

sqi4V.jpg

We've got a Mineral scanner, and so can, uhm, scan around for minerals. We can't extract the minerals yet, though.
And now let's explore a bit.

ur8u7.jpg

Cold!

3b7VT.jpg

Locked doors!

Ye7Nb.jpg

Unwelcoming masked strangers!

K12b0.jpg

Snowmen!

GDIwC.jpg

Krycencov!

7973.jpg
Hello, what is your name?

8013.jpg
Hello you! My name is Krycencov.

:roll:

7973.jpg
What is your job at this station?

k1ngI.jpg

A hospital, eh?

7973.jpg
Any news?

8013.jpg
I do not know anything new.

Fair enough.

MOUUo.jpg

Eric Warms is the local cool-looking shopkeeper.

6JRHk.jpg

We buy a CP4 Trap.

vslu7.jpg

A Room scanner.

LaAa6.jpg

And an Automatic Gun.

KSfej.jpg

The Room Scanner auto-completes the auto-map when used.

KaSzJ.jpg

The CP4 Trap is, well, a trap.

OD8Ee.jpg

And the gun is powerful!

VanQz.jpg

We also change Mrowaksu's job from Weighter to Scout.

Scout
If this duty has been selected for a character, he will keep a look-out for traps and warn the group when he finds one.

That won't come in handy in this update, however.

UxhEh.jpg

And here's the Inoid hospital.

coXIt.jpg

At the reception, we meet David Mosgo.

7973.jpg
Could you let us through?

8014.jpg
I cannot do that.

Oh well, let's try something more... deceitful.

7973.jpg
One of us is very ill!

8014.jpg
Sorry, Dr. Steinhag is very busy now.

FFS!
Let's try telling him we're infected with that new-fangled Hypo-coco disease we learned about in the previous update! :P

3Kp5L.jpg

Yay! It worked! :salute:
It has apparently been a puzzle of a sort, since Grotley receives a lot of experience for it and levels up.

UH7WJ.jpg

We choose the Identify weapon skill for him!

GXDlO.jpg

Grotley is now level 4, "a newcomer". He needs 12021 more points to "become a rookie" = reach level 5. :P

cNSov.jpg

Dr. Steinhag appears!

vUCqW.jpg

He tells us to follow him.

WuaMr.jpg

Then he leaves us in a hospital room and says he'll be right back.

TWJ5h.jpg

Grotley shares an insightful observation with us. :P

The funny things is, Dr. Steinhag has left us in a room which is right next to the one where the heart is hidden! :lol: Suspension of disbelief, etc.

TH7Jy.jpg

Mrowaksu open the door for us with his Manipulate computer skill. (Which is the first time a non-healing skill has been useful to us.)
Thanks to that, he gains a level:

SmRa6.jpg

Since Mrowaksu's a Biochemist, we choose the Use essence skill for him, hoping it'll prove useful later.

xBQaO.jpg

The heart is here, so Grotley takes it -- with Kingcomrade and Korenzel leveling up, too!

tZT4k.jpg

Kingcomrade learns Paralyse selected opponent.

pOC71.jpg

And Korenzel, Detoxicate member. :salute:
Then we make sure to return to the previous room. closing the door behind us to avoid any suspicions on Dr. Steinhag's part. (Yeah, this game reacts to things like that.) Nope, false alarm.

qHfed.jpg

We make Mrowaksu a Closer, i.e., one who closes doors behind the party. (Yeah, there's a special job for that!)

SB3V3.jpg

8015.jpg
...tell you that you are not infected. You may leave now.

Dr. Steinhag returns, telling us we're not infected and free to go. Naive bastard! :P We quickly beam up to the Whale.

Here's how our party's stats have changed after the level-up:

Grotley -> level 4
Experience: 28228
Strength: 42 -> 50
Max Health: 41 -> 48
Rhetoric: 45 -> 47
Honesty: 12 -> 13
General Education: 23 -> 25
Speed: 44 -> 52
Defence: 10 -> 22
IQ: 26 -> 30
Skillfulness: 41 -> 49

Kingcomrade -> level 3
Experience: 15556
Strength: 28 -> 38
Max Health: 34 -> 40
Max Mental Energy: 31 -> 41
Rhetoric: 19 -> 26
Honesty: 22 -> 31
General Education: 19 -> 27
Speed: 14 -> 19
Defence: 10
IQ: 24 -> 28
Skillfulness: 23 -> 30

Mrowaksu -> level 3
Experience: 17587
Strength: 15 -> 22
Max Health: 27 -> 37
Rhetoric: 26 -> 35
Honesty: 09 -> 18
General Education: 34 -> 42
Speed: 17 -> 19
Defence: 13
IQ: 37 -> 47
Skillfulness: 30 -> 34

Korenzel -> level 3
Experience: 15476
Strength: 14 -> 16
Max Health: 17 -> 21
Max Mental Energy: 45 -> 55
Rhetoric: 23 -> 32
Honesty: 26 -> 36
General Education: 28 -> 36
Speed: 16 -> 19
Defence: 7
IQ: 35 -> 43
Skillfulness: 16 -> 21

Grotley really has an insane exp advantage over the others. :? I guess being the party's smooth talker pays off.

And here's my map of the town we've explored in this update:

Whale's Voyage -- Inoid map

hQvpY.jpg

Back aboard the Whale, we call the mysterious stranger again.

spP02.jpg

We tell him we've reclaimed the heart.

5s00j.jpg

Next objective, ahoy! :salute: Stay tuned, I guess.

MMXI

Arcane
This game has taken a sharp :incline: during this update.

Did you try leaving the door open in the hospital? How did Dr. Steinhag react? Any consequences?

korenzel

Educated
Not that it seems to matter much given how rich the team became, but you're not necessarily looking for the highest per unit profit to determine the best trade route.

Instead, if stocks are sufficient enough (which they seem to be), and given the unlimited storage space of the Whale, you'd earn more looking for the highest possible sell_price / buy_price ratio.

Here are our current known goods :

2Ve50.png

The best routes seem to be :

buying Calcium on Lapis, selling it on Castra
buying Brain Implants on Castra, selling them on Lapis
buying Water on Inoid, selling it on Lapis
buying Iron on Inoid, selling it on Castra (best one, earns nearly 3 times your initial investment)
buying Bauxite on Inoid, selling it on Castra

This is all assuming prices don't change according to your actions. If they do, it'd be better to grind up a good cash reserve with decent routes before making a very high volume trade for the best routes. I also haven't taken fuel costs into account but they seem marginal compared to the money earned.

Crooked Bee

Patron
MMXI said:
Did you try leaving the door open in the hospital? How did Dr. Steinhag react? Any consequences?

That's weird, actually. I did the first time, and was attacked (by some kind of thugs); I presumed that happened because I left the door open. But now that I've retried doing that, nobody attacks us. So I dunno, that may have been a bug or something. :? And here I thought this game reacted to stuff like that.

korenzel said:

Thanks! :salute: And I thought I was overdoing it. :P

korenzel said:
This is all assuming prices don't change according to your actions.

They do, to different extents for different goods, in that the more you sell, the lower the price you're offered. They seem to come back to normal after a while, though.

MMXI

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
That's weird, actually. I did the first time, and was attacked (by some kind of thugs); I presumed that happened because I left the door open. But now that I've retried doing that, nobody attacks us. So I dunno, that may have been a bug or something. :? And here I thought this game reacted to stuff like that.
:decline:

Crooked Bee said:
korenzel said:
Thanks! :salute: And I thought I was overdoing it. :P
You know what those tradefags are like. :smug:

:love: @korenzel

Crooked Bee

Patron
Another small update for ya.

7: Lapis to Nedax: Revolution, ho!

In which we deliver, crawl, and win a major space battle.

Previously on this LP we visited Inoid, the planet of eternal winter, and -- pretending to be infested with Hypo-Coco -- stole the frozen heart from the local hospital. As we got back aboard the Whale, we called our mysterious "friend"; he told us to find a certain mine on Lapis:

5s00j.jpg

So we stock up on water, and off to Lapis we fly.

dYvxi.jpg

ZLLoT.jpg

We are attacked by four buccaneer ships along the way, but that's nothing to be worried about much. We win the battle.

kcrqu.jpg

On Lapis we buy a Glider Locator in order to be able to find the 33/18 position (the mine's location).

l7uiC.jpg

We also buy a Mining device and can now harvest minerals off a planet's surface.

9HhvR.jpg

In the Glider menu, we see a new indicator screen telling us our location on the grid. It's 46/14 now.

8mZbC.jpg

And to 33/18 we fly!

rIuGr.jpg

As we get there, the Beam to Mine option appears.

rRmzx.jpg

And so we're inside the mine.
The mine's layout is pretty straightforward. Here's a map:

Around there are mine carts...

cHp50.jpg

...stone blocks...

mjsNi.jpg

...and...

NA2Cr.jpg

...heaps of hay?

A8ExD.jpg

And Korenzel the Joker is still joking. Har har har :roll:

dCemq.jpg

The mine seems to be totally abandoned. That is, until we meet Gryx Gwyn.

7973.jpg
Surprise, we did not expect a worker in this left mine!

8142.jpg
Yeah men, I am working for my own.

For your own? :roll:

7973.jpg
Does that pay? What are you searching for?

hFHyZ.jpg

Titanium? :?

7973.jpg
Titanium is not very expensive, is it?

8142.jpg
Can you keep a secret? I am searching for gold!

Gold! So that's what you're after, you lying bastard!
And...

7973.jpg
How are you?

8142.jpg
Quiet well, thanks.

A quiet well? What well? Where? :P

6Z6tC.jpg

And who's that guy standing 'round the corner?

PI3qR.jpg

Follow you? Oh-kay.

hoTSK.jpg

So... this guy is apparently the one we must give the frozen heart to.

7973.jpg
What is this computer for?

(Why the fuck do we have the option to ask Jenns about a computer we haven't even seen yet!?)

8143.jpg
This is a bugging device. So I can bug all calls on Lapis.

Ooo, spy-ey!

7973.jpg
What is this heart for?

YIjT7.jpg

Suffix A? Oldschool! Okay, let's read it!

JIM NIPPLE greets you:

Welcome to my little hideaway! I'm glad you found your way here so quickly. I chose this hiding place for a very good reason. My work here is rather dangerous. You see this box of tricks? It's a bugging system which lets me listen to nearly every call made anywhere on Lapis. It's a real marvel of science!

As it's a very mobile unit, I can dismantle is quickly and take it with me to a new hide-out. This flexibility protects me against unexpected visits by secret agents. You're not safe for very long if you stay in the same place.

Thank you for bringing me the implant so quickly. It is for an important man who has been very active in support of our organisation. Unfortunately the Secret Service has been on our trail for quite some time, and they are trying to prevent us from getting this man fitted with it.

As you've probably noticed, the situation in this star system is relatively relaxed on the surface. We live in a democracy, but in reality it's more like a dictatorship. After all, where else would you find a complete absence of political parties? Opinions which differ from those of our government are simply not allowed. They are not suppressed by using the army, but - however paradoxical it sounds - by a massive bureaucracy. This mountain of officials blocks any and every plan by senseless activity. The worst of it is that even they themselves don't know who they are working for - or against. And we can only get through to the odd one or two of them.

Our organisation is keen to have more people, so that we can overthrow this system. You have given us excellent support, and we would like to show our gratitude. We would be delighted if you would continue to work with us.

So, we've been drawn into a revolutionary plot? Good to know. :roll: And the heart is apparently an implant for a VIP. Cool.

(Also: Jenns Nippel or Jim Nipple? Which is better and why? Discuss!)

7973.jpg
Can we do anything else for you?

fUz3N.jpg

Another job? We're all ears!

8143.jpg
A transporter will arrive very soon. Give them an escort.

An escort?

8143.jpg
With your ship.

Oh.

8143.jpg
And you will get 10000 credits and fuel.

Lol, we've got more than 2,000,000 creds and a whole lotta fuel already. :P But 'kay, whatever.

EMD5q.jpg

We sure will! That is a ship escort mission. More on it later.

dcWUN.jpg

And so we give the heart to Jenns.

8143.jpg
Well, thank you. Here is your reward.

He hands us another $100,000. Nice.
Our whole party levels up!

fciOk.jpg

Grotley can choose among some new abilities: Check honesty // Identify opponent // Manipulate computer // Intimidate opponent // Value item // Set trap. I choose the Identify opponent ability for him.

s6SDC.jpg

Kingcomrade is given the following options: Resurrect member // Disarm opponent // Check honesty // Take up trail // Identify weapon // Automatic reload // Intimidate opponent. Hmm, I guess we'll go for Resurrect member, that should come in handy later on. :P

X2Tsq.jpg

In Mrowaksu's case, we can choose one of the following: Identify weapon // Automatic reload // Use scanner with extended knowledge // Search for traps // Value item // Set trap.

Yr41C.jpg

I chose Use scanner with extended knowledge for Mrowaksu, but came to regret that later. :? Seems totally useless.

z2WN1.jpg

Korenzel gains a level, too. His options: Create fireball (49) // Brainblast (63) // Heal wounds // Identify opponent // Paralyse opponent (17) // Intimidate opponent // Disarm opponent (36). Hmm, Heal wounds it is, then.

GYP6l.jpg

Grotley is now level 5, "a rookie". He needs 17635 more exp points to reach level 6 = "become a beginner".
And our party's new stats are:

Grotley -> level 5
Experience: 33565
Strength: 50 -> 57
Max Health: 48 -> 54
Rhetoric: 47 -> 48
Honesty: 13 -> 14
General Education: 25 -> 27
Speed: 52 -> 60
Defence: 22 -> 32
IQ: 30 -> 34
Skillfulness: 49 -> 59

Kingcomrade -> level 4
Experience: 20893
Strength: 38 -> 45
Max Health: 40 -> 50
Max Mental Energy: 41 -> 51
Rhetoric: 26 -> 32
Honesty: 31 -> 38
General Education: 27 -> 33
Speed: 19 -> 25
Defence: 10 -> 22
IQ: 28 -> 33
Skillfulness: 30 -> 38

Mrowaksu -> level 4
Experience: 22924
Strength: 22 -> 30
Max Health: 37 -> 45
Rhetoric: 35 -> 44
Honesty: 18 -> 28
General Education: 42 -> 51
Speed: 19 -> 22
Defence: 13 -> 23
IQ: 47 -> 55
Skillfulness: 34 -> 39

Korenzel -> level 4
Experience: 20813
Strength: 16 -> 18
Max Health: 21 -> 27
Max Mental Energy: 55 -> 64
Rhetoric: 32 -> 41
Honesty: 36 -> 45
General Education: 36 -> 44
Speed: 19 -> 22
Defence: 7 -> 13
IQ: 43 -> 51
Skillfulness: 21 -> 29

:salute: :salute:

YWT9x.jpg

And here's the bugging device we've been hearing so much about. We can't manipulate it, though. This game is highly non-interactive.

6Bebd.jpg

Korenzel heals our party up, and we beam up to the Whale.

6MDYk.jpg

As soon as we arrive on board, our phone starts ringing. Must be about that escort job.

EbbTx.jpg

Oh-kay, it's Nedax, then. :salute: Our task is to escort a ship carrying some (illegal) goods. Sounds easy.

KxUAa.jpg

We choose Nedax as our next destination, with the Economy scanner allowing us to scan the prices.

korenzel, where art thou? :P

KkMqO.jpg

So Nedax it is. Wait, cities under the sea?

NEDAX
Nedax is the only planet in the entire system with a surface almost completely covered in water. Life is impossible on the few small islands as these are repeatedly submerged and swept clean by the strong tides.

The only way of colonising this planet was to build cities on the sea floor. For technical reasons, this was not possible on a large scale. As a result, great numbers of people live together in a small space. Despite this, the crime rate is low.

Trade is also carried on in raw materials extracted from the sea floor.

Kewl.
Things don't go smoothly, however...

tc2Uc.jpg

Our escort mission is scriptedly interrupted by a group of Federation ships! :o

PdzNv.jpg

This is a more or less tough battle. Six enemy ships, all of them pretty strong. And we can only be hit 8 times before we go down.

e2vEZ.jpg

Our tactics is to attempt taking on the enemy ships one by one.

1J49Q.jpg

A single one shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Too bad I forgot to identify the other enemy ships for you, but whatever.)

gEFHw.jpg

At the end of the turn, provided we have enough move points left, we can choose to activate shields (which last until the beginning of the next turn), boosting our ship's HP and reducing the damage taken.

Rhd4Y.jpg

Our tactics works, and we emerge victorious! :salute:

LJcih.jpg

Reward, yay! 10000 credits! :roll:

6X64R.jpg

And here we are. Nedax, the water planet.

DzSfV.jpg

On Nedax, we buy a new device for the Whale called "Flexibility". No idea what it's for, really, but sounds useful. :P

Next time: finding Kevin Grove?

MMXI

Arcane
Is it just me or does this game seem to be inclining with each update? MORE!

Morkar Left

Cool! I already waited for an update. I'm wondering if you can stand the ground battles till endgame :P

korenzel

Educated
Crooked Bee said:
Korenzel gains a level, too. His options: Create fireball (49) // Brainblast (63) // Heal wounds // Identify opponent // Paralyse opponent (17) // Intimidate opponent // Disarm opponent (36). Hmm, Heal wounds it is, then.
Any reason you don't give me any offensive ability ? Not that I mind being the healer, but I remember you mentioning some risk in using too high level a power, but don't remember what those are exactly.

korenzel, where art thou? :P
Here you go :
zZ8G9.png

Note that my previous analysis was quite flawed. The Whale's storage capacity is far from unlimited, at least when it concerns very cheap goods like water. As you can see, despite the fact that you can sell water for more than ten times what you buy it for, it's really not going to earn you any large amount of money, at three hundred thousand a trip.

The best route for now is to buy Iron on Inoid and sell it on Nedax.

Other good routes are:

Buying Titanium on Lapis, selling it on Nedax
Buying Calcium on Lapis, selling it on Castra
Buying Brain Implants on Castra, selling them on Lapis
Buying Bauxite on Inoid, selling it on Nedax

The Federation? Has to be the most oft-used name in sci-fi. Though at least they aren't iron-fisted dictators, and their control is through layers of bureaucracy...nice touch.

Also, geez, 2 LPs at once with regular (good) updates? You're a machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom