Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Destroid

Arcane
We need some sort of Updates! emoticon.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Destroid said:
We need some sort of Updates! emoticon.

nK7xk.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Still looking. That was the least 4Channish "MOAR!" google has conjured up so far. Maybe we should just ask Avellone to draw some more trolls for us.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Azira said:
Ulminati said:
Still looking. That was the least 4Channish "MOAR!" google has conjured up so far. Maybe we should just ask Avellone to draw some more trolls for us.

[A bunch of images way too large for emoticons]

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
the_unshaved_masses said:
If this is the reign of the Theocrat, perhaps it is time for a little... French Revolution? Neh?

How dare you compare our dwarves with the french?

Still... MOAR.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Sorry about how slow I've been in updating this LP. If I knew I was going to be as busy as I was, I would asked you guys to move my turn to the bottom of the list. Anyway...

Autumn in Anusblaze, Year 256

Theocrat's journal 4th Limestone: Autumn is here, and we still have goblins and human traitors outside the fortress, killing anything they see.

Theocrat's journal 8th Limestone: The masons are now smoothing out the walls in our new tombs. We'll need them after this fucking siege. Goblin scum have murdered ever dwarven worker who couldn't get to the gates in time.

2CqZLh.jpg

Theocrat's journal 13th Limestone: Our miners are at work digging out new living quarters.

pgrAN.png

Theocrat's journal 14th Limestone: When the new homes are dug out, the miners will begin mining more adamantine in the caverns below. Our militia must have the best equipment available if we are to successfully eliminate all the enemies of the dwarven working class. Our axes of adamant will strike down the greenskin marauders, the traitorous humans, and the treehunging elven bourgeoisie!

Theocrat's journal 20th Limestone: It's been weeks since the enemy have tried to assault the gates. It seems the goblins fled after our traps killed several of them in the first days of the siege. Typical goblin cowardice. Now only the human imperialist filth remain. I'm not risking the lives of good dwarven soldiers to chase them away, Anusblaze is doing just fine without access to the surface.

x1wfph.jpg

Theocrat's journal 25t Limestone: The new underground stone stockpile is filling up nicely. Plenty of adamantine, and more is on the way.

7aWZ3.png

___________________________________________________________________________________

Again, sorry I've been so slow in updating. I'll try to do at least a month a day from now on. I'd like any suggestions on how to deal with the human problem, and any ideas for improvements I could make to the fortress. The more idea's I have, the more I'll want to play DF, the faster the updates will come!

Destroid

Arcane
If you hit your guys in adamantine armour couldn't you go outside and hulk smash them? Humans carry full steel I think and are the most difficult of the sieges but adamantine > steel. If you don't have enough adamantine for both armour and weapons hammers will go through the armour, but in terms of winning I don't know which is better to spend your adamantine on.

Do the ballistas still work? Running them through some of those should soften them up.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Cassidy said:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63484.0

How does it compare with the 2d viewers regarding interface/controls? I'd rather use whichever handles controls better regardless of graphics, although 3d isometric view is tempting.

Stonesense is prettier, less buggy and gives a better overview.

WT0jH.png

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Destroid said:
If you hit your guys in adamantine armour couldn't you go outside and hulk smash them? Humans carry full steel I think and are the most difficult of the sieges but adamantine > steel. If you don't have enough adamantine for both armour and weapons hammers will go through the armour, but in terms of winning I don't know which is better to spend your adamantine on.

Nooooo, don't waste adamantine on hammers, it is the worst metal in game for hammers/maces, being almost weightless. Make silver hammers.

Destroid

Arcane
Haha, yeah I meant make an adamantine sword or axe. Silver hammers are really an exploit at this stage I'd say.

Krash

Arcane
Bronze/steel war hammers are p. neat but axes are, in my opinion, the best weapons. Swords are good too but they tend to stick into wounds (which can be both good/bad depending on foe) and don't have much bite against some really dangerous stuff like a bronze colossus. Spears are really, really nasty against big squishy things, but then axes/swords aren't that much worse there, and spears barely do anything against monsters without organs (except when they adamantine and wielded by legendary speardwarves, then they can actually poke off arms and stuff which is neat). Axes are just all round nice: they cut like swords and have weight to punch through armor like hammers. Plus they're dwarven as fuck.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Do you guys think I should start producing adamantine gear right away, or wait until our armorers and weaponsmiths have high skill? I would start production of other metal gear, but it seems like adamantine is actually the most abundant arms material in the fortress at the moment.

Krash

Arcane
Melt down the goblin crap and you'll be swimming in metal in no time. Better save the adamantine for now.

Destroid

Arcane
Who cares about optimisation, do what you want man. There's no need to play optimally in DF. If anything it's probably counter-productive to producing 'fun'.

Cassidy

Arcane
Already killed first fortress by dehydration because of missing merchants and not building a cistern to hold water for the winter. Still at a loss on how to have an exact account of what kind of stuff and how much are in the stockpiles. The listing that appears by pressing z is way too generic.

Are there plans to create a full third party GUI for DF rather than only viewers, or even only a full overhaul of controls with better mouse support? Even after getting the hang of the controls, I can't help but feel how much time I'm wasting because of their clunkiness and how a typical TBS/Sim graphical interface and control scheme with keyboard and mouse(IE: SimCity, Civilization) would greatly improve everything.

Destroid

Arcane
If you have booze then you don't need water for a long time, they only really need it for hospital duties and maybe prisoners. To get better readings on what you have in the z screen you need a high skill manager or broker I forget which one.

Booze is more important than food, without it your dwarves work painfully slow and become unhappy, they also consume something like 4x more booze than food. The easiest way to supply both is to set up a plump helmet farm (you can grow directly on soil or you can wet stone with water) and use them as both food (they eat the raw harvested plump helmets) and booze (they brew them at a still into dwarven wine). This provides for your needs so effectively that some players will ignore plump helmets altogether.

As for the UI, once you learn the hot keys it's quite fast for most tasks. You can used the mouse for designating (the d menu).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom