Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Text adventures ahoy! Let's 100% Frederik Pohl's GATEWAY!

Johannes

Arcane
Nice game, though I should sometime finish it. Last time I stopped around the point where you make the big discovery, shit turning too epic was kind of a turn off for the atmosphere. As well as hitting a dead end on some planet.

It's a really nicely built adventure game system, what with all the possibilities to do (so the next step isn't always obvious, but usually quite sensible), time constraints to think of sometimes, and cool pics.
What are other good games done by them/using this system? I tried the 1st Spellcasting game sometime, but that felt pretty crappy.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I love 'em Legend games. Especially the UI, very much an ease-of-use imrpovement for early text adventure games. And the graphics have always been pretty neat, too. You go girl, Bee.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
LusciousPear said:
This looks like a brilliant setting.

Better than ME2, anyway.

Funny you mentioned the Mass Effect series... but anyway.

Update 3: Roses and Virtual Beaches

We find ourselves in the center of Heecheetown. I will be rearranging screenshots for the purpose of this LP, so don't pay too much attention to the date/time stuff. Time doesn't really play a huge role in this game except in a few timed sequences.

gateway2_141.png

Let's see what we have here.

> examine bar

The Blue Hell Bar is located in a pre-fab structure to the east. The building's battered and worn exterior lives up to the seedy reputation of this famous prospector watering hole.

> examine buildings

The pre-fab structures are built of formed plasteel and plasticrete sections welded together.

> examine walkway

A walkway connects the second story of the Corporation office structure to the Blue Hell Bar. Behind the large round windows you can see the silhouettes of people.

03gateway004.png

> examine Corp offices

The administrative nerve center for Gateway lies to the northwest. This pre-fab building is home to the Gateway Corporation's Administrative Section.

Alright, let's head there.

> nw

03gateway112.png

> examine receptionist

The receptionist is a pretty young woman dressed in a spiffy business suit. She is seated in front of a keyboard, typing furiously and occasionally talking softly into an unobtrusive headset that is tucked under one ear.

> kiss receptionist

"Hey! Stop that! I don't even know you!"

:)

03gateway113.png

> take magazine

As you reach for the magazine, the receptionist slaps your hand away. "You can't just take that! Didn't your mother ever teach you manners? Still, I might give it to you if you gave me something in return."

I wonder what it is she may want...

> examine plants

There are a number of potted plants in the lobby. They look healthy and vibrant, a study in contrast with the sickly fern in your quarters.

> taste plants

The potted plants don't look very appetizing.

> examine vase

The crystal vase contains a dead rose.

> examine dead rose

The dead rose is wilted and black. It is sitting in a vase.

03gateway168.png

> ask about vase

"Yeah, it died a few days ago. It had the only bit of real color around here. I wish I had another one."

Hmmm. I guess she could want a fresh new rose. Duly noted.

> ask about magazine

"It's an interesting magazine. All about poor Adriana Becker, still broken over Rolf's disappearance all those years ago. What a stupid SOB he was, to go on another mission when he was already so rich. Oh well."

Adriana? Rolf Becker? That doesn't make much sense at the moment. But it will later.

> ask about receptionist

"I'm on a TDY tour from Earth. 'Live the adventure!' the intra-company recruting staff said. Geez! I have had all of the adventure I can stand. I can't wait to return to Earth."

03gateway169.png

That badge business seems to be typical corporate shit.

03gateway180.png

Sounds like the receptionist has one hell of a job.

> ask about board room

"For important meetings only!"

Anything in there now, I wonder?

> w

03gateway176.png

> examine seat

The conference table is surrounded by comfortable looking chairs.

> examine controls

The walls are covered with large viewscreens and a bewildering array of switches, knobs, buttons, dials, and readouts.

> activate controls

You poke and prod at the intimidating forest of controls with little effect.

Oh well. Not like it matters.
Back in the center of Heecheetown, we go north, since that's where we can get the rose the receptionist wants.

03gateway007.png

First we arrive in Corridor D4.

> examine dropshaft

The dropshaft is used to go between levels in the low-glee environment of Gateway. The entryway you see here leads into a vertical shaft (like an elevator shaft) with moving cables that transport people up or down to other levels of Gateway.

We don't need to take the dropshaft right now, so we head north again.

> n

03gateway009.png

A rose!

> examine rose

The red rose is just coming into bloom and is quite lovely. Its fragile beauty seems out of place in the harsh environment of Gateway.

Out of place? Then there's no harm in removing it, I guess.

> take rose

You take the rose from the planter tray.
[Your score has just gone up by 2.]

Yay!

03gateway013.png

:roll:

There's one way we can screw things up a bit here:

03gateway014.png

Losing the rose means we still can beat the game, but not with the perfect score. And we wouldn't want that.

Let's see what else we can do around here.

> examine racks

Central Park is filled with hydrophonic racks and trays. The racks are large, boxy units with row upon row of shelves filled with plants, grow lights, sprinklers, and nutrient drip feeders.

> examine plants

There are plants of every variety and description growing in the hydroponics racks and trays.

> take plants

The Corporation takes a dim view of prospectors stealing food from the hydroponics section.

> smell plants

Hmmmm. Very plant-like!

:P

> examine fruit trees

The trees are surprisingly large and seem to be in very good health. The branches are heavy with fruit.

> examine fruit

Ripe oranges are nestled among the leaves of the trees.

> take fruit

You can't reach the oranges. Besides, the Corporation takes a dim view of prospectors stealing food from the hydroponics section.

> climb tree

Gateway Enterprises wouldn't approve of you climbing around on their trees.

> smell park

The air smells of ripening citrus fruit, growing plants, good soil, and chemical fertilizer.

03gateway024.png

03gateway022.png

Sounds... tempting!

> examine panel

The access panel for the control box is a grate about two feet tall and four feet wide. The panel is hinged at the top and has a latch with a distinctive, four-leaf-clover shaped pattern. The panel is latched shut.

> open panel

The access panel is latched shut. From the looks of the four-leaf-clover shaped keyhole, a special maintenance key is required to open the panel.

> examine lever

The lever is about six inches long and is painted bright red. It is in the ON position.

Time for some action!

03gateway034.png

> wait

Time passes...

03gateway054.png

A maintenance man appears. Luckily, he doesn't suspect us since we're new around here, and someone's been shutting the machine down for the whole weak already.

Also, notice that the man has handed us the maintenance key.

> wait

03gateway055.png

Let's do a little trick...

> drop key in tray

You put the maintenance key in the planter tray.
[Your score has just gone up by 10.]

Hihihi.

03gateway056.png

The man also shares Rolf Becker's story with us. As you remember, the secretary mentioned him as well.

03gateway073.png

03gateway079.png

We're also given a screwdriver and told to put in the tool box. No matter if you try hiding it or not, the old man's going to find it, so let's just do what he asks this time.

03gateway080.png

> wait

Time passes...

03gateway081.png

Adriana, another person the receptionist mentioned, has now entered the story.

> wait

Time passes...
The old man picks up the pliers and starts to wrestle with a pipe fitting inside the machine. "Becker should have stopped there, but he didn't. He had to push his luck, had to ship out one more time. Well, he didn't come back."

03gateway083.png

> wait

Time passes...
The old man hands you the pliers and says, "Here. Put these in the tool box." He wipes his hands on his pants and leans on the machine. "I'll tell you, my friend, this station ain't what it seems. Lately I've seen some pretty strange stuff. There's a Corporation scientist who works in the AI labs up in the restricted sector." The old man looks around and then puts his face inches from yours. "You may not believe this, but I seen him walk through walls."

03gateway085.png

> put pliers in toolbox

You put the pliers in the tool box.
"I don't know where he went. He reappeared a few minutes later, walks out of a solid metal wall. Strangest thing I ever saw.

Mysterious!

03gateway087.png

> take key

You take the maintenance key from the planter tray.

> examine key

The key is made of metal and is about two inches long. It terminates in a distinctive four-leaf-clover pattern.

Now that we've got the key, we can open some things around the Gateway, like air vents and control panels.

> open control panel with key

You open the access panel with the key. Underneath the panel is a spaghetti-like mess of pipes, cables, and complex machinery.

03gateway111.png

We can't really do anything nasty to this panel, so let's rather present the rose to the receptionist.

03gateway123.png

She doesn't feel like going out with us, but at least we've got the magazine now.

>read magazine

03gateway124.png

The article continues for several more pages, but seems to contain nothing else of interest.

Good, now we know the story of Rolf and Adriana. :P But that's not what we came for, really. As you may remember, we're carrying a book called "Everything We Know About the Heechee"...

gateway2_094.png

...that we're supposed to trade for a personal DataMan device. So we hand the book to the receptionist.

03gateway126.png

> examine DataMan

The DataMan Personal Information System is a small computer that stores huge amounts of text.

03gateway128.png

The DataMan main menu has three sub-menus. I won't be covering the "Ship handling notes" as they're boring and pointless.

03gateway129.png

First we press 1 for some Information about Gateway. I'll skip the boring bits.

03gateway130.png

Hmm, looks like humankind hasn't made contact with other civilizations yet.

03gateway131.png

An evil interstellar monopoly. In the future, what else could you expect?

03gateway132.png

That's about us!

03gateway133.png

Brazil, but no Poland? Half the Codex is disappoint. :P

03gateway137.png

Our proctor? That's Thom Seldridge, the one who left the empty book for us and told us to meet him at the Blue Hell Bar at 20:00.

03gateway138.png

Virtual reality, huh? We'll be sure to check that out.
But first I'm going to show you what happens if we fall asleep outside our room...

03gateway155.png

We get transported to our room...

03gateway159.png

...and charged a $100 fine! So we'd better not sleep around.

But anyway. Let's visit have a look at that Virtual Reality Terminal.

03gateway181.png

The tech looks up at you.

03gateway183.png

"Tell you what, new fish. I've read there's a bug in this new Beach VR, but I haven't had time to find it yet. Since there's no one else handy, why don't you go in and bang on it for a while and see if you can figure it out." He gives you a critical look and ponders for a moment.

03gateway186.png

"First of all, you've got to understand how to identify a virtual reality when you're in one. It comes from practice and a sharp eye. Every VR has a purpose -- called the directive -- and the program is usually pretty good about tracking the details important to that directive and keeping them consistent. But it's not so good about details that aren't important to the directive -- so watch for little things that change. Colors. Names. Stuff like that. The simpler a VR, the more pronounced the changes."

The tech continues. "Secondly, you've got to know the three ways to break out of a VR. The most straightforward is to halt the program that controls the reality. If power is cut to the CPU, or some back door shuts it down -- POOF! No more unreality."

03gateway189.png

"The final way to kill a VR is to overload it. If you can create a situation that is beyond the computing power of the controlling program, the VR will break. The best example is to create an infinite progression. Natch, the program can't keep computing something like 'x = x*2' forever. Eventually x is going to get too dang big, and when it does, KAPOW!"

03gateway191.png

The tech dives back behind the newsletter, suddenly oblivious to you.

So, our objective is to hop inside the Beach VR and break it, somehow. But first things first.

03gateway196.png

> examine manual
> read manual

It is a slim, well-used manual. The cover reads, "NeoTech's guide to Virtual Reality." You try to peek at what's inside, but the technician won't let you.

> take manual

The tech stops you and says, "Ain't you ever heard of private property?"

Meh.

> examine reader

It's a square device with the colorful 'NeoTech' logo emblazoned on the back.

> ask technician about reader

"I use this to read the passwords out of the manual. Cheap piece of crap, actually. It's only a little UV light dressed up to look like a sophisticated entry-protection device."

> take reader

"Keep your hands to yourself. I NEVER lend out this NeoTech device. Even if it wasn't against Gateway directives, the blasted thing would be impossible to replace."

Grrr. Well, perhaps later.

> ask technician about NeoTech

"Great company. On the forefront of Virtual Reality technology. Some other firms call themselves 'The Virtual Reality Company', but NeoTech lives up to the title. Maybe I'll get a job there someday."

> ask about manual

"I get an update whenever a new VR comes out. Most of this manual is devoted to the entry protection of the 'Deep Psych' Virtual Reality. It NEVER leaves this desk, so don't even ask.

So that 'Deep Psych' VR is heavily protected for some reason, huh? Interesting.

> ask about virtual reality

"Hey, what can I say? VR's are my life!" You don't doubt it for a second.

:)

> ask about Deep Psych

"That's the most technically advanced -- and dangerous -- VR of the bunch. The program finds deeply buried images in the subconscious and gives them physical form within the VR. These images are usually deep-seated fears. The idea is for the user to come face-to-face with his fears and deal with them in some constructive way.

"The problem is that it freaks some people out. So NeoTech put a two-tier entry protection scheme on it. I can get the password that will let you in, but first you've got to be cleared by the Corporation. THAT's how dangerous it is."

Intriguing!

> examine newsletter

It appears to be a simple newsletter called 'VR World', perhaps some sort of industry magazine. You can't really divine any more information without actually possessing it.

03gateway200.png

> examine chair

It's a comfortable looking padded chair, filled at the moment by an overweight technician.

03gateway203.png

> examine collar

The collar is set into the couch at approximately neck level. It opens and closes with a spring clasp.

> examine keyboard

It's a standard keyboard, with none of the extras.

03gateway205.png

03gateway208.png

> ask about switch

"The setup's pretty simple. Lie on the couch. Select a program with the switch. Wear the collar. Push the button. That's it. You're in Virtual-land!"

Okay, we're almost set to dive in that Beach VR. But what was that about a membership pin the technician mentioned?

> ask about pin

"The club's full of Gateway veterans. Most of them are all right. It's a nice place to get away from the new fish that're always pestering and asking inane quesitions. The tanning booth there is nice, too."

A place to escape from the newfags? Oldfags must love it. :P

> examine pin

It's a gaudy golden pin with 'Pedroza Club' engraved upon it.

> take pin

"Hey, buddy, that's mine! You ain't gettin' it until you earn it!"

:D

03gateway217.png

Really, why would they?
There's also a sign on the wall.

> read sign

03gateway218.png

The Beach VR is the only one we should care about at the moment.

> lie down

You're now on the couch.

> wear collar

You snap open the collar's spring clasp and settle into it. The pads around your neck keep you from moving your head, and the collar itself seems a little tight: all in all, a very unpleasant experience.

> push button

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Beach VR Theme
Alternatively:

03gateway226.png

03gateway227.png

Hey, this is one great virtual reality!

> listen

You hear the calming roar of the ocean washing against the sandy beach.

> smell

You smell the aroma of sand, sun, and fun!

> examine drink

Drops of moisture run down the frosted sides of the glass. It is filled with a creamy, delicious-looking banana daiquiri.

Yummy.

> examine bar

It is long, curved, and ringed with polished bamboo trim. Just behind it, a small scanner pokes out and a cheerful bartender ambles back and forth, occasioanlly wiping the bar counter or staring out into the sea. A frosted glass, filled with a frothy banana daiquiri, sits alone on the bar.

The bartender takes off a sandal and shakes the sand out of it.

That small scanner thingy looks intriguing.

03gateway231.png

> yes

"Great. When you're ready, just give me your empty glass. I'll run it through and get you a fresh drink."

The bartender runs his rag around the bamboo trim, whistling merrily.

> examine shirt

The shirt is light and airy, but it has the loudest Hawaiian pattern you've ever seen.

> examine shorts

The shorts are simple faded cutoffs, which looks extremely comfortable.

The bartender eyes your glass, trying to anticipate when you want another.

> examine cloth

It's a torn piece of dull green cloth.

The bartender carefully checks the scanner's fixtures to insure that it is working properly.

03gateway237.png

[
03gateway238.png

Changed color? :? Ah yes, that must be the thing that the technician was talking about! In fact...

_beach.gif

Weird.

> examine ocean

The ocean is somewhat fuzzy and out of focus. You could swear that it actually changes shades of blue in cycles, and sometimes even shifts to a purple or red.

> dive in ocean

Every time you approach the ocean, it seems to move farther away, mirage-like.

03gateway239.png

> ask about drink

The bartender grins. "Hey, I just work here. If you'd like a refill, then just give me your empties!"

> take drink

You take the frosted glass from the beach bar.

> drink drink

You pour the drink down your throat.
It seems to be just the right thirst-quencher for your parched state. The taste is excellent, and the alcohol is strong.

Hmm, strong, you say?

03gateway245.png

> take drink
> give drink to bartender

03gateway247.png

"...than I thought." He picks up the glass and tosses it out of sight behind the bar.
[Your score has just gone up by 5.]

Let's go on with that...

03gateway250.png

...puts the empty glass away.

Again and again...

03gateway253.png

And again...

03gateway255.png

...to straighten his shirt. He ends up with two sides that will not equal out no matter how hard he tries. On the fifth pull, he just gives up.

Time for another one!

03gateway258.png

Achievement unlocked: drunken bartender. :P

_barman.gif

> examine bartender

The bartender has collapsed onto the bar. He looks comfortable and happy, though, and snores peacefully. Even in sleep, he holds his rag tightly, like a security blanket.

The bartender sings something very softly in his sleep. You can't quite make it out, but it seems to involve somebody named Charlotte.

Now that the bartender's asleep, we can break the VR by combing a full glass with the scanner.

> take drink

You take the frosted glass from the beach bar.

The bartender sings something very softly in his sleep. You can't quite make it out, but it seems to involve somebody named Debbie.

03gateway264.png

The hues and colors of the virtual world swirl in a soft cloud and drift away. Soon you are back in the real world, but after-images of the alternate reality linger in the back of your mind.

The tech looks at you with renewed respect. He flips over the promised golden pin, which lands nearby. "Not bad, for a rookie. You just might have some VR hacking potential."

03gateway269.png

We're back at the VR terminal and we have the membership pin now. Swell.

> kiss technician

You give the technician a peck on the cheek. He seems surprised, but then quickly recovers his composure.

Next time: meeting our superiors.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this on a clock like spellcasting was?

God rushing to do the puzzles after figuring them out...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think I'll have to stop reading this LP and play the game myself.
Crooked Bee said:
You give the technician a peck on the cheek. He seems surprised, but then quickly recovers his composure.
Awkward moments. :lol:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Awesome stuff Bee :love:

If you're keeping track, could you combine a list of things to do that elicit a particularly funny response (like kissing the tech)?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sceptic said:
If you're keeping track, could you combine a list of things to do that elicit a particularly funny response (like kissing the tech)?

Sure. I may not discover all of them, but I'll be collecting them and then post 'em in this thread. Kissing everyone you meet comes first, naturally. :P

SCO said:
Is this on a clock like spellcasting was?

Some sections are on clock, as in, you're gonna wind up dead if you're not quick enough. But overall, the game doesn't seem to have a global time limit. At least not a noticeable one. Yesterday I tried waiting 'til I dropped, but never got a game over screen.

lightbane said:
So, are there other ways of breaking that VR thing?

Not that I know of, no...

Excidium said:
I think I'll have to stop reading this LP and play the game myself.

Yeah, it's good, so give it a try. Then come back to this LP to see what options (and score points) you've missed. :P

spekkio

Arcane
Imagine showing this thing to the current gamer: "WTF, it's not a gaem, gimme my shiny graphix and quest compass".

:cry:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 4: To Blue Hell and Back

In which we meet Thom and Nubar, play Trivia, go drunk, and get a deep space tan.

Alright, folks, remember the message our proctor Thom Seldridge sent us, the one telling us to meet him at the Blue Hell Bar at 20:00? Well, why not go ahead and meet him, then?

Let's listen to: Frederik Pohl's Gateway OST - Blue Hell Bar Theme
Alternatively:

04gateway003.png

> examine customers

There are several people clustered around tables in the area in front of the counter. They are drinking and talking in an animated way.

> listen

The music is mostly "golden oldie" tunes from the mid twenty-first century played at a painfully loud volume through the dance floor speakers.

> examine dance floor

The dance floor is a raised platform on one side of the bar. A number of dancers (singles, couples, and groups) move among the colored lights.

> examine dancers

The dancers are gyrating wildly to the pulsing, pounding, painfully loud music blaring out of the speakers over the dance floor.

04gateway009.png

> examine counter

The bar counter has a drink order panel and a card slot.

> examine panel

"INSERT DEBIT CARD IN CARD SLOT TO ORDER DRINK"

Drinking, yeah!

> buy drink

04gateway009b.png

> wait

04gateway010b.png

> drink

04gateway011b.png

POST ING D RUNK ON THE CODEX OLOLOL :P

> order drink
> wait
> drink

You feel a little woozy.

> order drink
> wait
> drink

You are having trouble concentrating.

> order drink
> wait
> drink

The room seems to be spinning, and you are having trouble remaining vertical.

> order drink
> wait
> drink

04gateway012b.png

Oops, we fell asleep. :P We wake up in our room and get fined $100.

But anyway. To the east of the Blue Hell Bar is the local Casino.

> examine casino

The Blue Hell Casino is another legendary institution, the only fully equipped casino in space. The beckoning lights of the casino lie to the east.

Let's have a look, shall we?

04gateway012.png

> examine gamblers

Prospectors and off-duty crewmen are playing roulette and blackjack. One lonely looking gambler is trying his luck at the slot machine.

> examine slot machines

Slot machines line one wall of the Casino. The one-armed bandits are largely ignored by gamblers.

> play slots

You play the slots for a while and lose $2.

:decline:

> play slots

You play the slots for a while and lose $4.

:x

> play slots

You play the slots for a while and lose $2.

:rpgcodex:

> play slots

You play the slots for a while and win $2.

:incline:? Oh well, not really, considering we're six dollars poorer now.

> examine blackjack

A blackjack table stands in a corner of the Casino. It looks very much like those you have seen on Earth.

> play blackjack

You play the slots for a while and win $4.

Yay, just one more stroke of luck and we'll get even!

> play blackjack

You play the slots for a while and lose $18.

:retarded:

> examine roulette

The casino is dominated by a large roulette table. While the table itself looks fairly conventional, the wheel is an oversized whirling green plasteel monstrosity. A low-grav ball the size of a grapefruit bounces lazily around the perimeter of the wheel, creating an almost comical effect -- although the worried gamblers surrounding the table aren't laughing.

Arrrrrgh. Screw it. We're not playing this.

> examine trivia

A battered old arcade game sits against the wall. From the name "Old Earth Trivia" and the dated pictures on the side of the console, you deduce that it deals with Earthside trivia from late 20th and early 21st centuries.

Sounds intriguing! But we'll play it a bit later. Let's try something... different now.

> kiss gamblers

04gateway016.png

That didn't go too well, it seems. :roll:
Let's now take advantage of our newly acquired Pedroza Lounge membership pin and enter the heavy oak door to the east.

04gateway019.png

To the north is the Pedroza Club's "Tanning Center," billed as a health facility but actually just a place to get a deep space tan. A heavy oak door leads west.

You see a display case here.
In the display case you see a pamphlet.
[Your score has just gone up by 5.]

> examine case

The display case is mounted on the wall. It is fashioned of metal and glass; modern, yet quite elegant. A silver metal sign is affixed to the case. The display case is closed.
In the display case you see a pamphlet.

> examine sign

04gateway032.png

> take pamphlet

[Opening the display case first.]
You take the pamphlet from the display case.

> examine pamphlet

The pamphlet bears the awkward title "Noteworthy Prospectors and the Missions that Made Them Famous.

> read pamphlet

04gateway024.png

Blair did not return from this mission."

What a sad story!

> examine bust

Inside the display case is a bronze bust of a very stern looking Antonio Pedroza. His beetled brow and scowling features remind you of your uncle Peter, a man who took very little joy from life.

:P

> examine chairs

Several comfortable looking chairs are situated around the lounge room.

> examine tables

A number of round coffee tables are arranged next to the chairs

> sit on chair

You settle into one of the chairs, slouching back and letting your mind wander. Just as you're drifting off to sleep, you suddenly remember the importance of your mission and you leap back to your feet.

>examine books

One wall of the lounge is lined with elegant bookshelves that are filled with hudreds of hardbound books. Upon closer inspection, however, you discover that the 'books' are actually fakes put there for atmosphere.

Travesty!

> examine pictures

Imposing framed prints of planets and starships decorate two of the walls in the Lounge. When you look closely at the pictures, you realize that they are cheap reproductions surrounded by tacky plasti-wood frames.

> examine plants

There are a number of potted plants in the lounge. Upon close inspection you realize that they are made of plastic. Very realistic, but plastic none the less.

Everything's made of plastic here!

> examine prospectors

A few sleek, successful looking prospectors are sitting around the lounge, talking, drinking, and reading. They are relaxed and confident. These are the people who have made it on Gateway and have chosen to stay here rather than return to day-to-day life back on Earth.

> talk to prospectors

The club members ignore you.

04gateway034.png

:lol:

And now we head north, to the Tanning Room.

04gateway040.png

> examine lights

Bulbs behind the transparent walls give off a light purple glow by mixing ultra-violet rays with light from the visible spectrum.

> examine couches

The couches are black vinyl and are set into small alcoves along the walls.

> examine sign

04gateway043.png

So... let's get a deep space tan now, shall we?

> wait 1 hour

Your exposed skin begins to darken a bit: the start of a nice tan.

Swell! Let's wait some more.

> wait 1 hour

Your tan gets a bit deeper. It's starting to look good.

And more!

> wait 1 hour

Your exposed skin darkens to a deep tan. This looks like a good stopping point.

A stopping point? No way. More!

> wait 1 hour

Your tan turns rather red; the skin cracks and begins to hurt. Perhaps you should have stopped while you were ahead.

Nonsense! More!

> wait 1 hour

04gateway188.png

Hell yeah, one more way to die discovered!
:incline:

Let's now meet Thom Seldridge. Finally.

04gateway048.png

> wait

04gateway049.png

> drink

04gateway050.png

You ought to check out the roulette wheel -- they use a very dense, oversize ball because of the low-gee environment. It's kinda cool."

"You find all kinds of people on Gateway. Prospectors from over forty countries, plus the usual assortment of space squids, er, navy personnel off the sentinel cruisers. Most folks are American, European, Japanese, and Brazilian, as you'd expect with those countries owning the Corporation, hey."
The robotic bartender trundles away.

"You'll spend most of your time on Gateway on two levels: Dog and Tanya. We are on Dog now. Tanya is where the entrances to the ship hangars are located. It also houses work spaces, conference rooms, and the military armory."

Thom finishes his drink and tosses the empty glass in the general direction of the robot bartender.

Let's buy the man a drink.

> buy thom a drink

04gateway055.png

Thom hums a few bars of a song popular on Earth several months ago.

The famous Gateway robotic bartender trundles over to where you are sitting. It extends a tray bearing a full glass. Thom reaches for his new drink and gulps down half of it before you can even blink.

04gateway058.png

The suicide squad? Green badges? We're all ears.

04gateway059.png

Sounds... bad.

"Now the green badges, they're different. Officially, they are part of the Orion Program. That means that they're on the Corporation's A-team, a select group of prospectors who have supposedly proven themselves and earned a place in the Program. They get to go to briefings held by the Corporation Science Section, where special primo course codes are handed out by Corporation eggheads."

04gateway061.png

"I know better. The only way to sign up for the Orion Program is to be sponsored by your Corporation rep, and don't think that the process is easy. My rep won't even talk to me." Thom pauses and rubs his chin. "Hmmmm, let's see, who is your rep?" he wonders aloud. "Neilson! Terri Neilson.

She's actually pretty cool, almost a regular guy. She even comes into the Blue Hell for a drink on some nights. You might actually have a chance of getting one of those green badges if she goes easy on you."

Sounds nice. We'll be sure to find her.

04gateway064.png

Thom hands us the Orion Program memo after he has written something on its bottom.

Thom finishes his drink, looks around, and then tosses the empty glass behind the counter. "Terri usually shows up around 22:00 when she comes here. You might want to hang around or just come back later."

Thom is a nice guy. I think we should buy him one more drink kiss him!

> kiss thom

"I think you ought to try the other bar -- the one on Level Gary. Most of the folks here in the Blue Hell are hetero -- including me!"

Oh well. A drink it is, then.

> buy thom a drink

04gateway066.png

The famous Gateway robotic bartender trundles over to where you are sitting. It extends a tray bearing a full glass. Thom takes his new drink, grins at you, and says "Bottoms up!" He gives you a comic salute, then takes a long drink.

"You're not a bad sort, new fish. I'll let you in on some rumors that have been making the rounds. Seems that folks are hooked on the idea that the Heechee left something important on Gateway that hasn't been brought to light yet. Besides the ships, I mean."

"When NASA first explored this station, they found it picked clean except for the ship hangars. Really weird. This great huge artifact, obviously an important facility, and yet almost completely empty."

Sounds...

...like a trap!
:yeah:

"When the Corporation pukes took over the station, they put their best coneheads on the problem. They searched high and low, even took some of the station apart. They didn't find squat.

People are saying that the coneheads didn't look in the right places, that there is something mighty interesting on this station that nobody has found yet. Personally, I think it's a load of horse hockey. I can't believe that the coneheads missed something important while they were exploring, cataloging, and then rebuilding Earth's great new hope."

Fuck yeah, Mass Effect, we know what you ripped off! Apart from Sentinel Worlds, I mean. :M

04gateway073.png

A Gateway legend? :? I wonder who that might be.
In the meantime, let's read the Orion programme memo.

> read memo

04gateway074.png

04gateway075.png

Interesting! And here's our new friend, Nubar Kamalian:

04gateway076.png

Well, you know the drill.

>buy nubar a drink

You order a drink for Nubar Kamalian. The bar computer acknowledges your order with a series of musical tones and spits out your debit card.

"So, how ya doin'? Welcome to Gateway. You made a megamistake, shelling out over two hundred grand to come to this miserable, godforsaken place."

A... positive beginning.

04gateway079.png

04gateway080.png

"You can't win. Especially with the Corporation geeks giving preference to those Orion bozos. That really pisses me off. We're the cannon fodder for the Corporation. They get us to hang out our rear ends and do all the sweating and slaving, then they feed everything they learn from us to their fair-haired boys with the green badges. This place is just UNfair, my friend. You sure screwed up coming here."

04gateway083.png

Nubar leads us to the Casino and offers a game of trivia.

Nubar plays the game and earns a score of seven points. He turns to you and says, "Your turn."

> play trivia

04gateway086.png

It doesn't really matter what section we choose. I'll only demonstrate "Science, Engineering, and Nature", but I can show the other sections, too, if anyone is interested.

04gateway087.png

And the answer is 3. I mean, what else but "Freedom" can a NASA project be called? :P

04gateway088.png

It's Stratosphere, #2!

04gateway090.png

The answer is 4, Cretaceous.

04gateway091.png

It's 1, don't ask why.

04gateway092.png

2031 it is! Option 4.

04gateway093.png

The answer is 3. Tralala.

04gateway094.png

It's 2, Photosphere!

04gateway095.png

Polaris, yay! Option 4.

04gateway096.png

Hmm, let's see... *a few hours later* Must be 3, a wild splash appears! :o

04gateway097.png

It's obviously 4. :roll:

04gateway098.png

:yeah:
Take that, Nubar!

Nubar says, "Congratulations, new fish." He hands over the medallion, then grins as he pulls another out of his pocket. "Got hundreds of these things," he says wickedly. "The Corp goons never took 'em away 'cause they think they're worthless." He hangs the medallion around his neck. "Perhaps I will see you again, my friend." Nubar disappears.
[Your score has just gone up by 15.]

> examine medallion

The medallion is circular, a disk about two millimeters thick and ten centimeters in diameter. It is made of silvery metal. When you move your head, you can see a strange swirl of colors, almost like a soap bubble, flow along the surface of the disk. The phenomenon disappears when you stop moving relative to the medallion.

Worthless, you say?..

Next time: getting a gun and a badge!

Monocause

Arcane
Thanks for the LP! Mighty nostalgic to watch, I finished GW and its sequel on my mac when I was a kid using a (then still made by Connectix) Virtual PC app. Those were the good old days.

By the way, it reminded me of something else. If you'd be willing to go for something that could emulate an old Apple computer, there's this site: http://www.semitech.com/marc/ray/

I played both Mess o'trouble and Another Fine Mess and still remember them as some of the most entertaining text adventure games ever. Lighthearted writing with some hilarious jokes and puzzles which were astonishingly free of player frustration while still retaining a degree of challenge and satisfaction. Fun fact: the dev apparently stopped making games when he tried to make a commercial-grade product with 3D graphics and Myst-like navigation. Check the games I mentioned out if you can be arsed to set up a VM.

One thing that I miss about Apple in the 90s was how strong and good the indie scene was. Many of the shareware Mac games from the period (Ambrosia games, Jeff Vogel's games, Realmz and this) were easily comparable to games dished out by major publishers in their respective genres and sometimes beat them handsomely in terms of quality or scope - and even better, all of them were a labour of love and had small touches or a wicked sense of humour that made the experience all the more worthwhile. The thing I despise about modern "dumbing down" the most is not the simplification of game mechanics or such but the way it strips games of any sort of personality. They just don't make games like this:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/harry/

much anymore while I remember that back in the day these were the standard. I mean, how awesome is a game in which you ride on a swivel chair around corp offices shooting stables at crazy robots?

Rant done. Another thing - why is there no LP of any game of the Myst series? I played only the first one but still remember that the atmosphere was overwhelming; one of the best games ever, no doubt about that. Some of the puzzles were plain annoying but I managed to finish the game in my early teens without any sort of a walkthrough so I guess they weren't that bad.

lightbane

Arcane
04gateway086.png

Games of all Kinds? I'm intrigued about which questions would be there. Also, what happens if you fail and don't get the medallion? Do you get another try?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Legend games normally have some alternate solutions that are "lesser" both in points and story "success".

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, everyone!
:love:

@ Monocause

Thanks for the insightful rant! I'll definitely check those games out once I'm done with the ones I'm currently playing. The 90s were good times for gaming, true.

As for the Myst series LPs, there are two LPs of the original Myst and its remake RealMyst at the Let's Play Archive. There was also a finished LP of Riven at Something Awful, but it hasn't been archived for some reason. I'd love to follow a Myst series LP, but doing one would be an extremely time-consuming task.

@ lightbane

I'll do a bonus Trivia update this weekend, demonstrating all the subsections of the game. If you fail, you can just retry again next night.

@ SCO

Indeed, but I think you do need the medallion to progress, as iirc you need the item you can get with the help of the medallion on one of the planets. There are some other sequences with non-optimal solutions, though, and I'll comment on them. The sequence with the secretary, the magazine, and the rose was an optimal one, by the way, that you can ignore if you don't want to 100% the game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Couple of discoveries that you might be interested in Bee-chan.

First, I used every black magic ritual that Black Cat has taught me and managed to unearth a PDF of the Gateway hintbook. Unfortunately it doesn't have any fun stuff or list of funny commands to try, but I can upload/email it to you nonetheless if interested.

Second, did you know you could run the game in SVGA mode? It doesn't change the small graphics or anything, but it does give you more space where the text is displayed (since the entire image is 800x600 instead of 640x480). You do need to tweak with DOSBox settings (won't work unless you set machine=svga_et4000 - it's svga_s3 by default), then run the game using "gate svga".

Oh and if you're not doing so already - run the game with the MT-32 (or emulation). Music sounds MUCH better than with SB and as far as I can tell there's no effect on sounds (they still play through PC Speaker/RealSound).
Damn, this LP has made me start a replay :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom