Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wheel of Time RPG: What do you want to see?

Andhaira

Arcane
As we all know, Obsidian is working on this puppy. What would you dweebs like to see in this game?

I for one, would have loved for it to be turnbased, but unfortunately it is guaranteed to be real time since it is being developed for all consoles at once.

Apart from that I would like a storyline not set during the timeframe of the books. The game would ideally be set in the timeframe of many years after Tarmon Gaidon.

I want the game to be partybased. There should be full rules for Blademaster forms. Basically, available character classes (yes I want a class based system) would be: Gleeman, Ashaman, Aes Sedai, Blademaster, Woodsman, Armsman, Lancer, and maybe a few more. Multiclassing would be allowed.

Thoughts?

Stinger

Arcane
I thought Obsidian were just consulted or something...the whole thing has been rather vague though I suppose we'll hear more news now that AP, FNV and DS3 are done (aside from the DS3 dlc anyway) as for what I want...eh I don't really mind what kind of combat they'll use knowing that turnbased is out of the picture in a game like this. If it's actiony I hope it's like DS3 but with more customisation as that was one of the few Obsidian games with genuinely fun and well designed combat.

Storywise, well it's Obsidian so nothing to worry about there but I'd also hope that it's not restricted to the plot/timeline of the books and they're given more freedom with the canon (maybe a prequel set many years/decades before the series or something)

Shannow

Waster of Time
I expect lots of harumphfing, braid pulling and crossing arms. Also at least 10000 clothing sets. I expect to start playing with one character and then after 10 hours or so to be forced to make a new one to continue the game. Optimally that'd be repeated every 10 hours or so. There should be so many npcs that there's no possibility to remember all their names or keep them apart. Shitty camera, UI and controls and lots of bugs are of course mandatory.
Best game ever.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, they are using the Onyx engine for the game, which is the same engine used in Dungeon Siege 3.

Regarding a prequel, I am not a fan of that because that would mean male channelers are out of the question, due to the taint on Saidin. Plus, I want Asha'man and the Black Tower to be in the game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
We don't know whether they're actively working on it.

My only WoT reference is the WoT FPS game from Legend, which was pretty cool. Never gave a fuck about the books.

Personally I wouldn't mind Obsidian doing a first-person open world RPG a'la Fallout NV with it. If they turn it into another Dungeon Derp III Hack & Slash shitfest they can go fuck themselves.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
They better have a skirt smoothing skill.

I feel like the books started out good and got progressively worse until they were completely unreadable by about book 8.

The game will probably suck. Spellcasters will be way ovverpowered if they stay true to the books.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Country_Gravy said:

I feel like the books started out good and got progressively worse until they were completely unreadable by about book 8.

The game will probably suck. Spellcasters will be way ovverpowered if they stay true to the books.
Yep. Though the books got ok around book 11 again. And Sanderson isn't nearly as bad as Jordan was. But who will take over for Martin? Perhaps Gaider?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To be true to Wheel of Time lots of braid tugging and females folding their arms across their breasts will be mandatory.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
AndhairaX said:
As we all know, Obsidian is working on this puppy.

No they are not. The Publisher who owns the rights to this approached Obsidian, but had no money at the time for development of the game. So basically nothing is going on with it at all.

Mortmal

Arcane
I expect to see the action isometric 3D, yeah pretty much like diablo, but the skill tree must be similar to their awesome dungeon siege 3, but less options cause its too confusing, yes and dual wielding is also mandatory,it must be in the skill tree its never visceral enough if theres no dual wielding, drizzt ftw!
Also when i press A on my pad and score a critical hit versus the baddies i want to see a cool effect , a cool gore effect and in slow motion, and limbs falling apart too.
I need a dialogue wheel with very short sentences, or even better one or two words, cause reading too much stuff is boring, i want to go straight into the action i have no time to read complicated stuff, i want the character to say it for me in 3D with enough bloom and lip synching.
The campaign shouldnt be longer than 15 hours, companions romance(not full nudity , my mother may be watching) included , cause games are too long and i never finish them, everyone agres with it, even in serious newspapers.
I want cool costume to buy on DLCS for my companions and preorder priviledge like a special cool sword of doom,some team fortress 2 hats, a few new maps for 15-20$ too would be nice too.
I want multiplayer and lot of steam achievements to compare with my friends (that if i had any)and show them how i rox.

Will they deliver that to me ? You bet they will!

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Country_Gravy said:

Amen to that.

Since the initial setting is very nice, I would like to see the game being set right before the events taking place in book one. But of course, if they ever do release the game, it will be like what Mortmal described above.

MMXI

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
I for one, would have loved for it to be turnbased, but unfortunately it is guaranteed to be real time since it is being developed by Obsidian.
Fixed.

GreyViper

Prophet
Well the main char from books was dragon reborn so I WANT TO BE A DRAGON. And a nice harem like the main dude had, with some nice busty romancable amazon. Other then that a good story with Intrigue and Obsidian make a WH40K Necromunda game plz.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I want to believe, but i do not think Obsidian will do a good Rpg.

So i go with...
Tits, Quick Time Events, Cutszenes, no Stats, no Skills...did i forgot something? Ah right, massive Damage and Blood/Gore and many Love Interests...including a Dog.

:decline:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
AndhairaX said:
As we all know, Obsidian is working on this puppy.

No they are not. The Publisher who owns the rights to this approached Obsidian, but had no money at the time for development of the game. So basically nothing is going on with it at all.

No, actually a dev owns the right to it. Called Red Eagle Games. Its going to be a joint production.

Though the guy who would write the story is the same dude that wrote the Fast and the Furious Movies. So expect lots of Vin Diesels.

:smug:

Andhaira

Arcane
Come on guys, serious answers. You can have lulz, but also post stuff of substance.

The Wheel of Time is the second best selling series of fantasy novels of all time. Second only to LOTR. Thus far, 44 million copies have been sold. The New Spring graphic novel also became a bestseller, hitting BYT bestseller list. This is huge.

A good rpg has a chance of putting Obsidian at the top of the fucking map.

My only real worry is that they will either make us Rand Al Thor, OR that they will try to make the story about another chosen one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well I don't know much about the Wheel of Time but the story is the last thing i'd worry about in an Obsidian game.

Andhaira

Arcane
I've posted on the Obsidian boards inviting the devs to post here in this thread. Lets see if any come.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
AndhairaX said:
Come on guys, serious answers.

andburk.jpg

The Irony Meter just fucking exploded.

On topic, what is there to discuss when the game is not in production at Obsidian?

Mortmal

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Come on guys, serious answers. You can have lulz, but also post stuff of substance.

The Wheel of Time is the second best selling series of fantasy novels of all time. Second only to LOTR. Thus far, 44 million copies have been sold. The New Spring graphic novel also became a bestseller, hitting BYT bestseller list. This is huge.

A good rpg has a chance of putting Obsidian at the top of the fucking map.

My only real worry is that they will either make us Rand Al Thor, OR that they will try to make the story about another chosen one.

You need to explain me something if you are really serious this time. How can you believe they give a flying fuck about our opinions? Why discussing about it ?
The true rpg genre is dead and buried bare a few good indies once in a blue moon, we live in an era of facebook games and first person shooters, even prestigious license are digged up like xcom, wich was i say it again a truly exceptional game , and made into a fps.Now its the syndicate turn !
They dont care of our gaming tastes, even if we could garantee them they are sure to sell 100k copies of their game wich we dont, it wouldnt be considered enough. They want 6 digits sales, the target is 10 year billy, not old fats like ourselves with demands impossible to satisfy without some serious work .
At the very best you'll get an action packed game with a decent story, could be another new vegas or could be another alpha protocol, not much rejoicing for the second option.

Andhaira the day youll see a mainstream dev(an AAA project, not an indie) coming here asking for our opinions and implementing our ideas into his game ill convert to islam !

GreyViper

Prophet
AndhairaX said:
All right jokes aside, serious answer a good story would be a good start, since well its their strong side. Other then that there really isn't that much info to go around so its hard to know what to hope for. What turned me off from WOT later was that the author R.I.P. built toward story climax and we got what in next book, anticlimax. Also the game would have hard time competing with book series story vise . :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom