Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's Obsidian up to now?

Sacculina

Educated
Raghar said:
Of course western developers still doesn't have guts to attack final boss at level 1, because of lack of success repeat it at level 5-12.
Eh? Do you mean this?
Raghar said:
Of course, western developers still don't have the guts to allow the player to attack the final boss at level 1, and when they fail, allow them to try again at levels 5-12.
If so, it sounds intriguing. Hooray, I'm at level 5! Now I can defeat the final boss! Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 6. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 7. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 8. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 9. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 10. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 11. Save, then attack final boss. Die. Reload, grind till level 12. Save, then attack final boss. Defeat boss.

Then go through all of that seven times so you can raeg about it on the Codex.
Raghar said:
Let story unfold after beating the final boss, and finish by beating a final boss replacement in Orwelian like society.
BioWare stole your idea, dude. The emperor in Jade Empire was as 'final' a boss as your bizarre interpretation of the word implies. See the 'sacrifice' ending for your Orwellian state: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8VepzrQ-M

Holy revisionism, Batman!

Seriously, NWN2 OC over BG2? In what fucking universe? I don't even like BG2 that much, but damn.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I for one consider the better story, writing and NPCs in NWN2 OC a more valuable thing than combat

Except NWN2 OC doesn't have a better story or better writing. And on the codex at least the nwn2 NPCs are almost universally loathed, though I liked the dwarf in nwn2 better than the one in BG2. That's about the only thing I can say in nwn2's favor.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguey said:
I can provide details by quoting a previous post of mine:
I would be more intriqued by what would Volourn say about:
Character design.
Exploration.
Story depth.
Crafting system.
World depth.
Eloquence of writing, and about writing qualities.
Story flow.
Innovativeness.

Also. Is it better than FFT A2 ?

I don't play RPG for combat. There are other qualities of properly made RPG, as even Geneforge 5 proves.
Keeper Deven said:
Eh? Do you mean this?
No.
I didn't talk about reloading, I talked about boss who would kill all characters in the party by a single attack and looked like she is showing strong restraint. Few levels more would mean change from completely screwed up and cursed by a single attack: result overkill. to tinily less screwed up and cursed by a single attack: result still overkill.
(If you'd like to win by grinding, you'd need to grind few hundred levels, in the area where you'd need multiple combats to get from level 6 to 7, and enemies will not respawn. Happy grinding.)

As for JE. I talked about RPGs not about beat them up games in 3D. A lot of games had "final bosses" quite early. AFAIK even DQ7 has
"so after 50 hours of play we... what we are in the middle of the story?
Other examples are Chrono trigger, and Lufia.

I remember a game where final boss was in the party, pissed she was supposed to be a final boss and wanting to screw up the current final boss. The other person in the party was saying it's just a dream she can't be running around and kill stuff because she is just an innocent harmless girl that has strange dream, thus she can train hard and slaughter everything around without fear.

Western companies are failing at that surprise element, at character design, and they lack creativity. You know things are quite harsh when western RPG developers are challenged by visual novels.

Sacculina

Educated
Raghar said:
A lot of games had "final bosses" quite early. AFAIK even DQ7 has
Other examples are Chrono trigger, and Lufia.

Western companies are failing at that surprise element, at character design, and they lack creativity.
So you want Western developers to 'show guts' by copying DQ7, Chrono Trigger and Lufia? Yes, that would be very creative of them.

But to be honest, I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say, so I'm going to bow out of this.
Raghar said:
I would be more intriqued by what would Voulrun say about:
This should be interesting.

Relay

Educated
I don't play RPG for combat. There are other qualities of properly made RPG, as even Geneforge 5 proves.

I only played the first geneforge, so maybe I've missed on major improvements or something from 2 to 5, but for a game whose main appeal, according to its fans, is not combat, it felt like a soporific experience. The writing, the dialogue was.. less than engaging. I haven't felt any connection to the NPCs whatsoever. The setting itself had potential but that's about it. It's no PST.

pocahaunted

Arcane
You do realize that most non-Western devs are just as equally limited? Not to mention their love for milking overly simplistic franchises over and over again, just like "AAA title" devs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Relay said:
I only played the first geneforge, so maybe I've missed on major improvements or something from 2 to 5,
Well Geneforge I is: Bleh.
Geneforge V is: Wow, it looks like RPG, even if it has Vogel's writing. It has detailed world, multiple factions, intrigues, every faction wants backstab each other...

pocahaunted said:
You do realize that most non-Western devs are just as equally limited? Not to mention their love for milking overly simplistic franchises over and over again, just like "AAA title" devs.
Considering majority of Japanese copy like crazy, it's no wonder theirs games have similar problems as western games. On top of that, they can introduce theirs own problems like inability to create games for PC, or forcing controller everywhere, and also typical Japanese like story problems (like society enforced suicide, or city centrism, or licking butt to society). Writing AA games was no misstake. Majority of Japanese games are too flawed to have that additional A. However when they are no afraid to use freedom of development, and create something they like, results tend to be quite something. Quality Japanese games are insane, nutty, and creative.

And they have an additional advantage. Even if Japanese game is total failure, they still can have great musics.

Sannom

Augur
Apparently, they're working on an animation franchise?

959e438070c24d4fb4718f1804cd485424b0a6a2.jpg

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Wyrmlord said:
Dicksmoker said:
Wyrmlord said:
Now, the average quality is greatly dragged down, as we have a few games from the gutter, such as Fallout 2 and Icewind Dale II.
Shit like this never ceases to amaze me.
The game just sucked, man. I didn't like Den, didn't like Klamath, didn't like Arroyo, didn't like Modoc, didn't like Redding, didn't like Broken Hills, didn't like the new Mariposa Military Base (booooring), and so on.

Among the serviceable parts of the game, we had Gecko, Vault City, Vault 15, NCR, San Francisco, and Navarro. Now those areas had difficult, challenging, non-linear, non-fetch quests. Thankfully, all the bad parts are optional. But taking the okay parts, all we have left is a short and average quality RPG at par with better parts of Neverwinter Nights 2.
HeadExplode.gif

Sannom

Augur
Jaesun said:
"leading animation franchise"

What the fuck? So basically MCA is working on a My Pony cRPG?
If you want to stay in the kiddie stuff, they could also be doing a game based on Phineas and Ferb :lol: Or maybe they're working on the new Avatar show. Or Archer, like a Full Suave Michael Thorton.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom