Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's don our monocles in Victoria II (Finished)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Military Tactics is one of the most important land tech effects, for it influences the amount of casualties you take in combat. Significantly.

Humppaleka said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Then there's one that makes the status of Finland historically more accurate, with Finland being a puppet state of Russia (historically autonomous since Peter the Great)... Also added Finnish cores on Karelia... Currently planning on setting an event for choosing between a king (in case of independence from Russia, and still HM's Government gubmint type) from Germany, France or Britain...

PS: I say Greater Sweden, and I'll even provide you with a better monarchist flag for Scandinavia (instead of that fashion disaster red-on-yellow cross) if you liberate Finland and Karelia.
:salute:

Have you uploaded that stuff anywhere? Could use some of them, sound great.
Haven't uploaded yet, but I guess I should since it's fairly simple stuff to install. Guess I'll do that after setting the event/decision for choosing a king/democracy.

EDIT: And yea get ready for an ass-whooping for Britain is coming to get you. They have a land connection, they almost certainly outnumber you and they're more advanced. You can't win by using terrain either, the tech advantage is too big, and you can't just attrition them either because they'll replenish their losses easily and the AI will not settle for white peace without the score being around 0% or the tide going against them (or high war exhaustion, speaking of which I recommend turning up the effects of war exhaustion tenfold, otherwise it's meaningless).

EDIT2: Initial work on the A King for Finland? event and its modifiers done. Going to test soon. The permanent modifier for choosing Democracy makes it by far the most powerful choice of the four, granting notable all around bonuses for the nation (lower militancy, increased RGO efficiency, better research, slight pop growth boost, faster badboy lowering and extra leadership). Choosing a Finnish king gives a minor version (only pop boost as it is, and along with it only weaker versions of RGO boost and leadership boost are there) of this modifier for ten years.

Also modified the Swedish Abandon Finland decision to also be available if Finland is independent, and fixed the Russian capital relocation so they now relocate to Moscow only on the historical date or if Viipuri is in non-satellite hands.

Kaol

Educated
Fun game, i played as Texas and was doing ok till i got dogpiled by mexico and the USA, still finished as a secondary power tho.

Norfleet

This is going to be your moment of truth now. Either you win, and from that point on, it's a curbstomp for the rest of the world, or you wind up as Britain's bitch, because at the moment, YOU are the uncivs that they're taking over. If you can beat Britain, you can beat anything. If you can't beat Britain, it's over right here.

In addition to your land battle regions, your main sources of conflict are also going to be Cheju island and Taiwan. They're going to keep landing there, and you don't have a navy to stop this.

You should probably mobilize at this point: It's not like your crapsack population was doing anything useful.

The other thing I remember about this game is that, unlike in the HOI games, many other countries NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP. When I played China, I was pretty much in a state of eternal war with the British, because those guys would NEVER, EVER GIVE UP. This is because the "War score" required for them to formally concede a piece of territory you have now taken over exceeds the actual score you gain by taking it over. In fact, just getting them to concede India requires a warscore greater than the total and utter crushing defeat of the entire British Empire. I remember this because over a war lasting some 60 years against the accursed British, I had finally crushed the entireity of the entire British Empire beneath my boot, sank their entire navy, wiped out the entire army, and completely destroyed their economy. They still wouldn't concede India, even though they hadn't actually owned it for 50 years.

The Russians, on the other hand, were much more tractable, being willing to concede minor regions I hadn't even managed to take yet, and all it took was for me to kill about 10 million of their soldiers, as they would send 1200-plus-unit megastacks into a province, resulting in a 5-year-long battle before they would finally all be wiped out when I surrounded them. I'm not kidding, either. I'm seriously talking about giant stacks saying "1200"+ on them. I have no idea how they even managed to move that thing without them all dying, or if they DID all die, I hesitate to ask what that stack was before it marched across Russia. It involved a great deal of Musical Stacks, as armies sitting outside the pocket would have to periodically cycle in as the current guys fighting the doomstack took too much damage and had to be withdrawn. I'm really not certain why the AI builds such huge doomstacks, since only a small portion of them can actually participate in the battle and an even smaller portion of them can actually traverse the terrain without meeting with HORRIBLE DEATH.

Also, from your experiences fighting the Koreans, you need more cavalry detachments. They're fastest at flagging provinces, and can be used to encircle the enemy stack to stop that ANNOYING bumper-whack-a-stack behavior.

Vaarna_Aarne

Mexico actually has a huge advantage compared to other American powers: They have a decision that lets them get monarchy. Sure, it fucks over immigration a little, but the sheer power of having on-demand state capitalism more than makes up for it.

Also bros, I recommend tweaking Laissez Faire policy. Personally I set it to Max Taxes 25% but allowed industrial subsidies (prime motivation being that manually resetting them each and every time you get through a Laissez Faire period is hell and otherwise you'd completely lack strategic industry, and it's not like capitalists don't like free money), but you still can't actually close down, expand or open closed factories yourself. With the changes, Laissez Faire is actually a viable policy.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice LP!

If China proves too boring, just switch to another country once things get too tedious.

Thanks. I agree with your idea, Sweden, Spain or Sicily all sounds like good options if this one fails. However at least so far China has been fairly interesting to play. Though that might change further on of course depending if one can modernize with the country in one piece and become overly powerful, or if one gets up cut up into pieces by colonial powers.

Any way finished the war with the British last night, and will post it later today.

V2_1.jpg

The British demands that we surrender the Xinjiang region to them. Very well if the white devils want it let them come and claim it with blood.

V2_2.jpg

Xinjiang is the westernmost province of China, composed almost in it's entirety of desert and mountains.

V2_3.jpg

The Chinese army is already the largest in the world, but considering the technological advantage of the invaders it may be wise to use caution and recruit some additional regiments from the huge Chinese manpower base.

V2_5.jpg

The first sightings of British troops are made advancing through previously conquered Panjab into the Kasghar area.

V2_6.jpg

Even during the war Chinese cotton continue to be of great quality, and some more are sent as a gift to other states in order to further the prestige of China.

V2_7.jpg

A large British force is attempting to occupy Kasghar. It's to large to bring a force through the desert to engage it. If they want the sands of Xinjiang they are welcome to thirst to death amidst it.

V2_8.jpg

There are problems with raising additional regiments due to a shortage of suitable firearms

V2_9.jpg

The inhospitable desert claims the lives of thousands of British soldiers. Even though the enemy force is weakened it would foolish to attack it. So Chinese forces take up position in the mountains to the north guarding a river crossing

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious." - Sun Tzu

V2_10.jpg

The British leave a small force to finish the occupation of Kasghar and bring in additional forces to continue into the desert of Khotan. These foreigners must hold the lives of their soldiers in very low regard.

V2_11.jpg

The British also send a small force to attack the Chinese army in Aksu, they must be most confident in their weaponry.

V2_12.jpg

The enemy commander is competent, but even so the terrain disadvantage is very large, especially considering the river crossings.

V2_13.jpg

The enemy force is completely broken and routed.

V2_14.jpg

An attack on the enemy in Khotan is planned, it is however aborted considering the huge loses sustained while marching through the desert of Lop Nur would make such an attack foolish at best. After all it would be simpler to let them continue to die to dehydration by the thousand, considering the words of Sun Tzu "Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

V2_15.jpg

The Chinese army takes up position at the edge of the desert, ready to fall upon the enemy when they come through it. The British will not be allowed to repeat what Genghis Khan did to Xi Xia.

V2_16.jpg

Meanwhile in the east the Royal Navy has taken to blockading the entire Chinese coast. Though there is nothing that can be done about this moment we are fortunately not dependent on foreign goods.

V2_17.jpg

The British bring in additional reinforcements from India, their army is quite large even though not as large as that of China.

V2_18.jpg

The enemy makes another attempt at taking the Aksu region, this time their force is larger and better equipped than the last one to attempt this.

V2_19.jpg

This results in a lost battle, though not without cost to the enemy. While it is only a region of minor importance, the loss is quite large strategically as it is one of the most easily defended regions in the area.

V2_20.jpg

Khotan is added to the lost of occupied regions, soon Aksu will be as well it seems.

V2_21.jpg

Meanwhile in the east the enemy is seizing Taiwan, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about.

V2_22.jpg

The British move to attack the Chinese army in Urumqi.

V2_23.jpg

Reinforcements are sent o Urumqi. And the British attack the Ili area, however that should be defend able.

V2_24.jpg

Ili is another easily defended region, it should not fall to such a small force.

V2_25.jpg

The battle Urumqi is won with out problem thanks to numerical superiority. Holding the riving crossing helped as well though.

V2_26.jpg

The battle of Ili is however lost despite it's excellent defensive terrain.

V2_27.jpg

A small force is moved in to retake Khotan while the enemy is occupied else where.

V2_28.jpg

Now that the British have reached the edge of the Desert the best soldiers available in the Chinese army are brought in, in an effort to drive them back.

V2_29.jpg

It is a costly battle considering that they are nearly outnumbered five to one, but it is a victory none the less.

V2_30.jpg

The British make another attempt at taking Lop Nur, this time the Chinese army is on the defense.

V2_31.jpg

It would appear that the tenacity of the Chinese defenders is to much for them and the war is no longer worth it to them. Perhaps they are occupied elsewhere and need the troops more urgently there. Whatever the reason is they offer us a Peace Offer. As we are not interested in war the moment, the offer is accepted.

V2_32.jpg

V2_33.jpg

Following the peace several of the neighboring states come crawling back asking for an Alliance. Their treachery will however not be forgotten and they will be punished for it.

V2_34.jpg

The war even though Victorious has shown flaws in the Chinese military doctrine, thus the next step to modernizing is decided to be to improve this. Better fortresses will also greatly aid in holding the border to the British Empire in any further wars of aggression on their part. Their technology is developing fast and next time it may not be so easy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Forts are a double-edged sword. They also aid the enemy if you are attacking them in said provinces, or try to re-capture it. I would say that don't build forts in provinces unless you intend to have a permanent defensive force stationed there. Which in case of the British border you should, since the presence of troops on the border deters the AI's conquering ambitions a little.

But there's one other thing you should consider... Attacking Russia immediately. Russia is actually more of a threat to you than Britain, because they can seize Haishenwai (after that Primorye) from you and you can do nothing about it. Best thing you can do is go to war with them with an easy wargoal (ie, a Siberian province or liberation of a country or something) so you can get into a truce stage where they cannot get influence on you. In fact, it might actually be preferable to purposefully accept a white peace, for that way you might be able to get some reforms done following the militancy spike.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Forts are a double-edged sword. They also aid the enemy if you are attacking them in said provinces, or try to re-capture it. I would say that don't build forts in provinces unless you intend to have a permanent defensive force stationed there. Which in case of the British border you should, since the presence of troops on the border deters the AI's conquering ambitions a little.

I don't think enemies get the benefit of your forts for defense until after they have seized the province.

Unless you pump all of your RPs into military, or your populace magically learns how to read, the military gap between you and the GP's is only going to get worse.

I would say that tactics is the only thing that is going to save you (assuming you haven't already passed the point of needing to be saved). It will let you take real advantage of your numerical advantage.

Good update, though! That was an excellent use of terrain and attrition you used against the Brits.

V2_2.jpg

The next step now that Chinese territorial integrity has been protected is to punish the traitors that abandoned the alliance at the first sign of danger.

V2_3.jpg

Luan Prabang will be the first to pay, being a small state it should not take long to win this war.

V2_5.jpg

The small army is easily overwhelmed through sheer numbers.

V2_6.jpg

Their capital is occupied shortly afterwards, and they are forced to concede defeat.

V2_7.jpg

V2_8.jpg

V2_9.jpg

In the northeast the Korean nationalist movement is proving quite troublesome, however should they attempt an armed rebellion they will be swiftly crushed.

V2_10.jpg

The military having been made suitably prepared for the future we can now begin construction on the border fortifications for the border with British India.

V2_11.jpg

The notion that humans should enjoy some basic rights is next to investigated.

V2_12.jpg

Construction of fortifications is begun on the border to British India.

V2_13.jpg

Forts are also constructed along the Russian border in case Ivan should feel like invading.

V2_14.jpg

The next country to be punished is Dai Nam to the south.

V2_16.jpg

The Chinese army is out maneuvered by the Dai Nam force and is stuck trying to attack across a river.

V2_17.jpg

Which proves to be costly, though manpower is not exactly something that is lacking.

V2_19.jpg

The same thing happens once again a second advance in the northern regions of Dai Nam, the enemy commander would appear to be a master at quickly getting his forces where they are needed.

V2_20.jpg

This results in a even more disastrous battle, but no matter the casualties we will win this war.

V2_21.jpg

Next they attempt to remove the Chinese army occupying Lang Son, however this time they are the ones attacking.

V2_22.jpg

Which ends in a Chinese victory, the first of the war so far.

V2_23.jpg

And it is soon followed by another as they attempt another attack.

V2_24.jpg

This time however the Chinese force has been worn down so much that it can't put up much of a fight.

V2_25.jpg

The weary defenders surrender after a short battle.

V2_26.jpg

A small invading force is easily annihilated by a larger Chinese army.

V2_27.jpg

A new offense is attempted.

V2_28.jpg

Further complaints about the school system from minorities, small concessions are made in order to further progress. Mean while the enemy try to oust the Chinese army attempting to occupy Cao Bang.

V2_29.jpg

Despite having the greatly favorable terrain the Chinese defenders suffer huge casualties, how is this even possible?

V2_30.jpg

The Dai Nam are putting up some quite fierce resistance, but it should only be a matter of time before they run out of soldiers.

V2_31.jpg

This battle results in victory, though it is a close battle.

V2_32.jpg

The Dai Nam also attempt to repel Chinese forces in Cao Bang once again, but fail.

V2_34.jpg

An effort is made to follow them and finish them off now that they are weakened and disorganized.

V2_36.jpg

The enemy is pursued into the Jungle. It is terrible terrain to fight in, and losses to attrition are immense. However it would appear the enemies most skilled commanders are not longer available for whatever reason, so victory should be achieved.

V2_37.jpg

Not an impressive victory, but now the enemy is on the run.
V2_38.jpg

They attempt to flee to the capital, but a Chinese force awaits them there.

V2_41.jpg

The battle is won, and the remnant of the Dai Nam army is pursued.

V2_43.jpg

With the Dai Nam capital occupied it's decided to further punish Dai Nam for their treason beyond merely forcing them to release their puppet state cambodia.

V2_46.jpg

At the battle of Tourane the Dai Nam army is finally completely defeated

V2_48.jpg

The Dai Nam realizing that they have lost, agree to Chinese terms for peace.

V2_50.jpg

Though peace is not allowed to last, for the British have decided to make another attempt at stealing Chinese territory!

Vaarna_Aarne

Why didn't you conquer Dai Nam? They have some good stuff you know, and that keeps the gwailos from seizing them.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Why didn't you conquer Dai Nam? They have some good stuff you know, and that keeps the gwailos from seizing them.

Well I really just attacked Dai Nam with the release puppet & humiliate war goals for some Prestige with low infamy cost in order to help me build up enough prestige to meet that particular requirement for modernization. I'm considering annexing them, as well as other south east Asian minor nations later on when I'm a civilized nation.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A tip regarding westernization:

* Start with the 2nd tree in the cultural section of tech
* You can "save up" technology points and then spend them all immediadetly on a tech once it becomes available

The reason for doing the latter is the huge shared prestige gain coupled with those techs so you don't need to worry about prestige at all. (shared prestige means you get 20 prestige if you're the first discoverer of an invention, 10 if you're the second and so on...)

The 2nd and 3rd tree in the cultural tech section will boost your literary and TP generation rate dramatically. Always research those first as they will pay off themselves.

Vaarna_Aarne

And if you're lacking only a little XP, researching economic theory (the stuff that gives a -3% bonus to factory input), since they're also guaranteed ~10 prestige.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And if you're lacking only a little XP, researching economic theory (the stuff that gives a -3% bonus to factory input), since they're also guaranteed ~10 prestige.

You can't build factories as nonciv. A better idea woudl be teching the first culture tree as they are also rare/late techs of the AI and give a +5% on prestige gains aswell.

Cassidy

Arcane
If there is one thing I learned in Vicky 2 is that once a GP wants to fuck you, they won't stop trying until they are totally crushed or lose any border they have with you.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Cassidy said:
If there is one thing I learned in Vicky 2 is that once a GP wants to fuck you, they won't stop trying until they are totally crushed or lose any border they have with you.

Indeed last time I played my Scandinavian Empire, Germany was on it's 31st War of Holstein against me.

Vaarna_Aarne

Cassidy said:
The only other alternative is to build Dreadnaughts. Those things explode your military score so high the AI just doesn't attack you anymore.

Norfleet

Well, that went more or less as predicted: I did warn you that they'd go for Cheju and Taiwan. Not sure why you wasted your efforts on a purposeless invasion of Vietnam, though. If you ate them, they'd have lost their puppet anyway. If you weren't going to eat them...why did you bother in the first place?

As for Forts, forts offer no defensive benefits whatsoever. There's no combat bonus with or without a fort, far as I can tell. It does, however, significantly increase the length of time it takes to actually siege out the province. This may or may not be of any use to you whatsoever, and you will either spam forts everywhere (except possibly the capital, because you want that to be easily taken by the rebels should you desire to orchestrate that), or not build any at all. It's also a great "economic stimulus plan" to just build stuff for no reason whatsoever.

Since as an unciv, you don't have an economy, this is of no use to you whatsoever at this time.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
The only other alternative is to build Dreadnaughts. Those things explode your military score so high the AI just doesn't attack you anymore.
Just having ANY kind of massive military, which is very easy to do China, will effectively intimidate the AI into letting you do whatever the hell you want. BB in Vicky has practically no effect, so once the AI is simply too scared of you to protest, you can just kill anything the hell you want and everyone will just cower in terror before the might of the Dragon. Eventually you get the point where you're starting 3 or 4 wars at once just out of boredom and curbstomping everything in your path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom