Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 reasons why NWN2 owns NWN1

elander_

Arbiter
From this site:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news/

Some of these reasons are a bit moronic however like the inclusion of the Warlock, but nobody is forced to take it so i guess its a good thing for noobes.

"ProphetSword: I love Bioware's NWN. Nobody should take this as a slam against the original game. But with all the negativity on these forums, and with people trying to decide whether or not they should buy NWN2, I thought I would share these things.

In no particular order, here is 50 reasons why NWN2 is better than NWN1:

01) The Official Campaign, which is light-years ahead of the one Bioware created for the original Neverwinter Nights.

02) The ability to take four classes, which should give anyone the ability to create any character they desire. There were too many times I wish I had another class option in NWN.

03) The text font, which is much easier to read than the one that is included in NWN.

04) Cutscene conversations, which create a sense of immersion in a singleplayer experience without a lot of scripting required.

05) Party control, which trumps the henchman system availabile in NWN.

06) Subraces are included. In NWN, it requires fiddling about with haks, and even then they aren't implemented nearly as well.

07) The ability to pick a Forgotten Realms Deity, which further adds immersion into the gameworld. Sure, NWN had a field you could type in, but that was all.

08) Far more prestige classes included in the basic game than you can shake a stick at, which didn't require us to wait for an expansion pack.

09) A new base class: Warlock.

10) Helmets that don't block your face. As well as other accessories that can be worn on the head.

11) A graphics engine that makes the tile-based system in NWN look stale and dated (which, by now, it is).

12) The ability to scale monsters, buildings, trees, and just about anything your heart desires to create something new out of something old.

13) The ability to tint and recolor most things in the game, so that not everything looks exactly the same.

14) NPC interactions that are memorable. Not that NWN didn't have a few, but there are more in NWN2 than you'd expect.

15) Dynamic character portraits that change to reflect what your character is wearing.

16) Four camera modes instead of just three. And while some may not put that other one to use, it does have it's uses.

17) Breathtaking water effects that will knock you out of your chair.

18) A nearly unlimited number of trees for use in the building of your own areas.

19) An overhead sky that changes to reflect the time of day, shows the sun moving, shines with stars, and darkens when it rains.

20) Flame effects that look more like flames than anything that could be done with NWN.

21) The Conversation Editor, which is a million times more powerful, allowing you to do some things easily that would have previously required scripting.

22) The ability to open more than one thing at a time in the toolset, which saves you a lot of work.

23) Being allowed to use plugins in the toolset, which enhances your building capabilities.

24) Being able to create clothes and armor-types for NPCs in the toolset without actually having to put any of those things in their inventory and clutter up your inventory palette.

25) Having the ability modify what you want to select/see in the toolset, so that you don't accidently select trees when you mean to grab NPCs, and you don't have a screen cluttered with waypoints when you don't want to be looking at them.

26) More feats = More choices.

27) Spells that can change the size of your target (Enlarge, for example).

28) Rolling hills, cliffs, beaches...all sorts of fun environments that couldn't be done without hacking NWN.

29) Interiors with a roof. If you think it makes no difference, go back to NWN after playing this, and notice how empty an interior feels when you lower a camera.

30) An intelligent "clicking" system, which selects, automatically, the most reasonable action for an item or creature that you click on (talk, attack, disarm, unlock, etc).

31) The ability to select targets with a keyboard and perform the most common actions easily. (Using TAB to select a target and then "T" to attack an enemy is a lifesaver in combat).

32) Overland maps. And while these have recently seen the light of day in NWN, the system in NWN2 is better realized.

33) The ability to set a walkmesh so that you can keep players from wandering into areas they shouldn't.

34) The inclusion of extra grid squares beyond the map edge to allow you to fully flesh out a map and make it feel like a real world, instead of feeling like it just continues into infinity when you reach the map edge.

35) Terrain editing, which allows you to easily raise, lower, smooth, and flatten out terrain, leading to unlimited combinations of natural looking exteriors.

36) Multiple types of grass (instead of only one type) that can be placed wherever you like, have it's blade size altered, and can be mixed with other types to create some interesting combinations.

37) Textures that can be blended together to create some realistic looking areas.

38) The ability to snap placeables down on top of surfaces without having to fight against the toolset when you want to stack things.

39) Easy manipulation of the Z-Axis when you want to move things up and down (PageUp/PageDown vs going to a menu and setting a number and hoping you get it right).

40) The ability to use multiple interior tilesets together without a hak. Want a cave leading into a castle? Easily done.

41) Placeables for things like "cave entrances," so that you aren't always locked into them being in places where only a tile allows.

42) An inventory system that doesn't require you to fiddle about in your backpacks to try and get everything you want to fit. No more "inventory tetris."

43) A "Loot All" button that has been needed for a long, long time.

44) The ability to clearly see how healthy your opponents are, using the targeting system. Far more informative than telling me that they are "Injured."

45) An OC that actually puts to use some social skills, like Intimidate, Bluff, and Persuade, so that you actually feel like developing them is useful.

46) A much easier to read interface for the Journal, item descriptions, etc.

47) The option to use two different "conversation" types in modules you create, either traditional or cutscene. Use the one you want, when you want, without any scripting.

48) The ability to adjust the fog to your liking or mood, and have it change as the day progresses, so you aren't stuck with it round the clock.

49) An area loader that preloads all monsters/NPCs, so that the game doesn't "lag" when you approach an area heavy with NPCs you haven't encountered before.

50) A wonderfully responsive Dev Team that has been quick to address issues, patch problems, and make plans for the future...though, really...I think NWN had that too...so they come out even in this regard."

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
The toolset additions sound excellent. I'm looking forward to getting my slimy, furry, semen-coated mitts on it. I'm curious, how versatile is the cutscene conversation thing? Can players have a short conversation while, say, taking part in a cutscene battle ("Have at thee, stealer of pancakes!") or running away from something?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
NWN 2 is the sucedor of NWN 1 and it feels, plays and looks like it. MORONS.
Everybody who hatede NWN and now says he loves NWN 2 is a LIAR and a HYPOCRYTE. PERIOD.
LOLLERZ

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

R00fles!

KreideBein

Scholar
elander_ said:
15) Dynamic character portraits that change to reflect what your character is wearing.

Eh, I always liked having portraits that were static pictures.

Texas Red

Whiner
KreideBein said:
elander_ said:

No.

The portraits are very restricting. They often just dont fit to the character you created.

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
20) Flame effects that look more like flames than anything that could be done with NWN.

Dirty lies. Try seeing what those flame effects look like in a top-down camera view. It's quite possibly the worst billboard implementation I've ever seen in a commercially released game; even Daggerfall at least remembered that for billboards to work they had to always face the camera.

KreideBein

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
KreideBein said:
elander_ said:

No.

The portraits are very restricting. They often just dont fit to the character you created.

That's what custom portraits are for.

Also, this is a subjective matter, so it would have been nice to have had an option for dynamic portraits or for static for the PC. They wouldn't even necessarily need to have premade portraits; they could have just had an import option.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Or easily put in a series of static portraits for each face model they have, each face having a series of portraits to show different emotions. That would be interesting, but I can see why they chose not to do that...lot of fucking side work that just wouldn't be worth it except for you to say "Cool" and forget about it about an hour into the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The whole idea of this list is as dumb as the one in reverse that's also making the ru=ounds. B O R I N G !

cutterjohn

Cipher
I don't know yet whether or not NWN2 > NWN1 as in both games I have not yet completed the OC. In NWN1 I am most of the way through Act II, and in NWN2 I just finished the lizardling(whatever) starter dungeon. (NWN1 dwarf cleric L8, NWN2 dwarf cleric L5(levelling kinda fast ATM in NWN2...))

With the above in light, so far:
NWN1 opening story >> NWN2's opening story (& cut scenes)
NWN2 is dragging too much ATM with WAY too many cut scenes disrupting "flow"
I am liking NWN2's UI less and less the more that I play
Combat "feels" the same to me
Spells seem to expire kind of quickly(might be 3.5 changes... I never PnP'ed 3.5)
Inventory doesn't seem to be any more efficient in NWN2
Dialog choices so far in NWN2 don't seem to offer much more than fully patched + expanded NWN1
Graphics aren't that much better than NWN1
Camera sucks ass in NWN2
Story: as implied above you seem to get alot of NWN1 story right away while I haven't seen much from NWN2 yet...

Bottom line so far I'd give both a numerical rating of around 7 - 7.5. They're ok games, but no classics. It's a good thing that their main focus(for me) is the construction set and modularity.

[EDIT]
Oops, better add some detail:
A64 x2 4800+, 7600GT 256M, 2G DDR-400
NWN1: 1.68 + SoU + HotU
NWN2: 1.02(patched right after install so I never saw less)
Settings in both are maxxed, except shadows in NWN2 are 1 setting below highest(1024 IIRC).
[/EDIT]

Nightblade

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:
Nightblade said:
elander_ said:
From this site:

Control?

Think Baldur's Gate.
I think.

Now Baldur's Gate, that was control and strategic combat. My first fight with Firkraag the Red Dragon in BG2. How I had to time different dispel- and breach-spells to break down Firkraags magic defences, while my fighters and archers died one after the other.. How one man was standing after the fight. Damn how I loved that game. Can't compare NWN2 to that. It's totally dumbed down, party-control is messy, and "hard" difficulty just adds mob hps/damage, it doesn't make it anymore challenging. It's just like walking the same path with a backpack full of rocks.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Nightblade said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Nightblade said:
elander_ said:
From this site:

Control?

Think Baldur's Gate.
I think.

Now Baldur's Gate, that was control and strategic combat. My first fight with Firkraag the Red Dragon in BG2. How I had to time different dispel- and breach-spells to break down Firkraags magic defences, while my fighters and archers died one after the other.. How one man was standing after the fight. Damn how I loved that game. Can't compare NWN2 to that. It's totally dumbed down, party-control is messy, and "hard" difficulty just adds mob hps/damage, it doesn't make it anymore challenging. It's just like walking the same path with a backpack full of rocks.

Yes... okay. Haven't played NWN2 yet. I only meant the ability to directly control party members, unlike NWN1 which stuck you with the main player chracter.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yeah, yeah, I'm sort of resurrecting this thread, but I found a post that perfectly sums up my feelings with respect to NWN2:
NWN2 commentary

Man, am I glad that I took advantage of WorstBuy's deal the other day...

Originally, when I posted here I wanted to post more about how recycled NWN2 felt, and how it was pretty much apparent that Obsidian did little with the engine other than make it work. (BTW wrt that I've seen forum posts about how various BW people were down at Obsidian and vice versa.) It looks to me like Obsidian did little other than write a simplistic story, and scripts for all the little pieces necessary plus some new dialog necessitated by the fact that the necessary dialog did not previously exist, as you will note that wherever possible they recycled old BW assets going back to BG1 ffs!

Of course, I find it even more amusing that Obsidian hosts zilch on their own site and begs forum space from BW, which I hope means that if/when Atari/Obsidian tank that there's a contractual clause with Hasbro that BW takes over, which is what the setup implies to me already...

Nael

Arcane
I think my main hang up with NWN2 is that it suffered from alot of the same problems that plagued KOTOR2. Namely the fact that a majority of the game feels half-assed and nowhere near being fully realized. THe game is probably the biggest bugfest I've ever played. And not just the kind of bugs that glitch a texture every once in a while or something that takes alot more effort to break in the first place, but filled with bugs that not only break the game completely to the point where you cannot proceed in the game and have to reload a quicksave but are also very common and occur unless you complete something in a specific manner. An example that comes to mind is an encounter where you are talking to a leader of hte lizardmen and after the first conversation he attacks your party. After attacking the lizardman proceeds to AOE and for some reason that tends to aggro his lizard friends which were intended to stay put and not join in the fight. Now if they become aggro'd and you are forced to kill them, one of them required for an after-fight conversation is killed off, thus breaking the encounter completely. Ontop of this when you begin the encounter it changes the map to block off your exit from the area, so after you manage to break the encounter there isn't even a way to just ignore the whole alliance with lizardmen altogether. What utter fucking trash. Did they not bother to test their own damn game or what? What is also ironic is that the Toolset has indeed saved NWN2 in a certain sense, but it's not in the manner that they intended. If it wasn't for the Toolset we normally wouldn't have a clue what is causing these bugs. A majority of it is just really, very sloppy design. The same problem that effected KOTOR2. What a huge fat surprise.

If they had used their time effectively, instead of depending on either a series of patches over the next 20 years or the mod community the game could've been a classic. The game definitely has it's moments and is so much better than any RPG released in the past year or two (we all know what I'm talking about :p) but overall it's a waste of money until the mod community gets goin, and only if they don't just decide to stick with NWN1 and ignore NWN2 altogether which I could completely understand.

That's my 2 cents.

Zomg

Arbiter
I guess it's good that there's pressure to get it right, but RPGs have always been buggy as hell for various reasons and it's hard for me to get worked up about it. I suppose I've just built up a tolerance for alt-tabbing to get a workaround. Look at that Codex top ten thread - several of those games were released with multiple showstoppers (Daggerfall, Darklands, VtMB off the top of my head) that made them three frowny face thumbs down games at the time.

If they at least leave me a console and throw out workarounds for stuff in their forum I'm pretty much set as RPGs go. The stuff in NWN2 that's truly bad is designed in, and it could have been a classic only in the way that every game could have been a classic.

Gambler

Augur
Top 10 reasons NWN2 is perfect:

1) If something in the game sucks, you can always pretend it's not there. That's what roleplaying is all about.
2) If you're not capable of pretending it's not there, you can alter it via DM console.
3) The game was made only for people who like it. If you don't like it, you're not a part of target audience, i.e. game wasn't meant for you, i.e. you have no right to complain.
4) In a year or two all the issues might be fixed by installing 3d party mods, so stop whining.
5) Making good games is impossible. Stop bashing the game just because something in it sucks!
6) There are games that are much worse than NWN2.
7) If you don't like NWN2, you're WoW fanboy.
8) Graphics in NWN2 is awesome. And good animations are for people without imagination anyway.
9) If the game gives you 17 FPS on your $3k rig with minimal settings, than it's your personal problem. It's totally your fault that you bought the wrong computer to run the game.
10) If you don't like something, it's your personal subjective irrelevant opinion nobody cares about, even if it's based on facts. Besides, you're trolling. Hello, mr. troll! I will ignore you for the rest of your lifetime right after posting this message to tell everyone that you are wrong. You should be positive and appreciate the hard work of game developers by shutting the hell up.

This message was brought to you by by the Association Of NWN2 Bioware Forum Fanboys.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That's a great list. And if you just replace "NWN2" with a variable it suddenly gets a general application.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Nael said:
I think my main hang up with NWN2 is that it suffered from alot of the same problems that plagued KOTOR2. Namely the fact that a majority of the game feels half-assed and nowhere near being fully realized. THe game is probably the biggest bugfest ...
Sorry no bugs for me yet unless you include the jacked development "process". i.e. everything apparently works as designed, as deficient as that may be...
[EDIT]Never played KotOR2 and haven't finished 1 yet, yet I see the very same problems:
Obsidian Entertainment has jack so they shovel out shit, some praise them for it, others point out their many follies. I just wonder how much BW is making off of their idiot stepchildren, after all what has Obsidian done since KotOR2?! That's a LONG time...

Ladonna

Arcane
KOTOR 2 was only a couple of years ago actually.

I got the game. Its on the backburner because I am too busy playing G3, but my quick test suggests it will do as a half decent fast food RPG...Unfortunately Bioware was already there for that...

I can hardly wait to meet the usual emo toughguy who I am supposed to romance in the campaign...

I will hold full judgment until I fully experience the game, which may be after G3 (MTW2 has hopeless Combat AI, so It is on the backburner till....whenever).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom