Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda opens Fallout 3 forums

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Thats funny they seemed to delete second poll. I guess they were not able to take it that people didn't want them to create it. Atleast now they can look at poll and say something along the lines "Troika votes would probably go to Bethesda now". Assholes.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sentenza said:
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Oblivion's combat is fast and furious, and rewards you for pausing out to inventory to use potions, scrolls, other equipment, other spells, etc strategically.

Would these MOTHERFUCKERS stop already with the "tactics" and "strategy" of Oblivion!
I always thought that pausing the game to epen the inventory and drink a fuckload of potions during fitghts was a lame exploit, but no good sirs, ITS TEH STRATEGIK
What I like about that is how you can only drink about 8 potions at a time though. That is, before you have to close your inventory and then re-open it again half a second later. OH NOEZ! TEH LIMITASHUNS MAEK IT STRATEGIK.

Lurkar

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Sentenza said:
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Oblivion's combat is fast and furious, and rewards you for pausing out to inventory to use potions, scrolls, other equipment, other spells, etc strategically.

Would these MOTHERFUCKERS stop already with the "tactics" and "strategy" of Oblivion!
I always thought that pausing the game to epen the inventory and drink a fuckload of potions during fitghts was a lame exploit, but no good sirs, ITS TEH STRATEGIK
What I like about that is how you can only drink about 8 potions at a time though. That is, before you have to close your inventory and then re-open it again half a second later. OH NOEZ! TEH LIMITASHUNS MAEK IT STRATEGIK.

For better or worse, I've realized that our mock spelling has slowly been getting worse and worse. There will come a time where we mock the morons by just dancing our fingers about the keyboard, typing random gibberish. What was once "It has limitations! It's strategic!" will become "OH NOEZ! TEH LIMITASHUNS MAEK IT STRATEGIK!" will become "ONZ LIMETAZUNS IS ========= STRATEGEGEGEGY!"

I'm fearful as to what it will become after that.

DarkUnderlord said:
Sentenza said:
Chinese Jetpilot said:

Figures that an Armchair Strategist like yourself would think its that easy. Sure, it's all fun and games when you're stomping on mudcrabs. But what if you're surrounded by five...count them, FIVE, Goblins rushing towards you? You try swinging your sword, but your auto-aim ain't working. You start to panic. You can only use a combination of eight healing and fatigue potions. What's a matter? Not so easy now, is it?

Pop quiz hotshot. What do you do?

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU DO?

Nottheking

Novice
Keender_surprise said:
A bittersweet critique of humanity was one of the central themes of the story, and it was hard to miss it.
I suppose it might be a bit easier to miss it if one skipped Ron Perlman's narrations... But yeah, that is almost PAINFULLY apparent for someone who plays in the game, and thinks upon what they see.

Seboss said:
They just can't discard the game because it breaks some (all) cRPG design canons. It looks good, performs well, provides hundreds of (tedious) gaming content and most importantly, people are just happy with Oblivion because, y'know, "It's not like we have many choices".
You're definitely hitting on something there. For all that a lot of people may trash it, Oblivion was a pretty good and fun game... It just wasn't all that good of an RPG. Hence, in the sense of the word, it surpassed pretty much every "RPG" on the "G," but utterly failed when it came to the "RP." So it's better classified as a "great action-adventure game" than a "cruddy RPG."

MountainWest

Scholar
mugarod said:
Thats funny they seemed to delete second poll. I guess they were not able to take it that people didn't want them to create it. Atleast now they can look at poll and say something along the lines "Troika votes would probably go to Bethesda now". Assholes.

Yes! Am I missing something or did they just purposedly make Bethesda the #2 most wanted developer? What a fucking joke.

Here's what someone has written in the thread:

Well before someone deleted second poll, Obsidian was leading, with 70-80 votes, Bioware was second with 50-60 votes and Bethesda was 3rd with 30-40 votes.

The standing now is
Obsidian: 25 votes, that's 45-55 missing votes.
Bioware: 29 votes, that's 21-31 missing votes.
Bethesda: 32 votes, that's about what they had before the merge.

Big LOL.

mugarod

Liturgist
yeah its funny that even on their own forums Beth didn't get 1-3 places, on any other forum their chances would be even smaller. I mean seriously who in their right mind believe that Bethesda can pull off Fallout 3 true to the originals? I hope most of the devs saw the result of the poll so they will think twice on how exactly go with the franchise. Honestly I can't wait for the first screenshot of the game so the hell would brake loose in Beth forums.
Who else thinks that Beth asked for mod to "fix" the polls?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Nottheking said:
...plays in the game, and thinks upon what they see.
Say what? Don't use fancy terms son - use plain english. ;)

Nottheking said:
You're definitely hitting on something there. For all that a lot of people may trash it, Oblivion was a pretty good and fun game... It just wasn't all that good of an RPG. Hence, in the sense of the word, it surpassed pretty much every "RPG" on the "G," but utterly failed when it came to the "RP." So it's better classified as a "great action-adventure game" than a "cruddy RPG."

Huh, that's Morrowind, not Oblivion. Morrowind is a great action-adventure game. Oblivion is a shitty and patronising action-adventure game made for stupid people. Yes I played it (had to see for myself) courtesy of Mr T. Orrent and it was shocking considering the hopes I'd had over the years since MW that it would be an unholy alliance of DF & MW.

Jeez, I keep telling myself not to discuss the O game any more yet I just can't help myself. Damn.

psycojester

Arbiter
You guys are really cool.

We never said we were and we don't try to be. We're well aware of what we are angry and passionate nerds. We don't try and and justify it with the retarded "but being a nerd is chic these days!" thing

Bradylama

Arcane
I would suggest that there's a physical and logical component to the task of picking the biggest threat out of a group of enemies and making sure to shoot him first. An example I've used over, and over. The player character should carry out this task according, once again, to your own definition.
But you refuse to acknowledge that it's similar to _any_ other in-game task and is therefore, only by your solemn rule and judgment, an exception.

I don't need to hear your roleplaying theory about why some tasks are arbitrarily more relevant to the player than others. Fact of the matter is that you have a pre-segmented order of what YOU think is fun to do in an RPG. Nowhere, in no book, and by no consistent precident are your claims justified, and I simply won't have genre definitions stifled by your tight restrictions.

I'm not talking about moving boxes around, I'm talking about chances to succeed on attempts of complicated tasks. Whether you think hacking or lockpicking would be fun for yourself in a 100% stat based interface should not restrict whether or not a designer is allowed to impliment that feature according to his vision and be shunted off by game fans who, for some unknown reason, are driven to compartmentalize and restrict the genre he/she's designing for.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=681995&st=140&start=140#

Can somebody please explain to this guy why combat isn't a minigame, or a player character-reliant task? I don't want to feel like I completely wasted an entire day on my own.

Thydron

Liturgist
i cant be bothered to register an account (think i had one but forgot the name) - use this if you find it helpful.

because lockpicking is a skill in the game system and "combat tactics" isn't ??
therefore choosing who to shoot first / how to shoot them is a decision the char makes, not an inherent skill. on the other hand, choosing to wiggle the lockpick to the left rather than the right should be covered by the lockpicking skill.

if there was a "combat tactics" skill then in that case having combat like FO1/2 would be like having a minigame for it, and just being told the outcome would make more sense RPGwise.
but as there isnt this skill, its left up to the player.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Bradylama said:
Can somebody please explain to this guy why combat isn't a minigame, or a player character-reliant task? I don't want to feel like I completely wasted an entire day on my own.

I'd reckon a majority of arguments on the internet end up being semantics arguments. It will do you good for your health to spot such arguments and avoid them like you do with trolls.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I'm happy with moderation policy: no deleted/locked threads so far, no banned members (or have i missed something?). The discussion is going strong; all the most pressing issues are being heatedly debated.

WEll okay, that poll... yes. Well, it's forgiveable: it was, after all, a rather bland insulting poll to post on Bethesda's forums. Imagine someone posting a "Who should have developed AoD instead of Iron Tower?" poll (with options like Bethesda, Bioware etc)? Of course VD wouldn't lock it, and would have made good fun of it instead, but Bethesda has a different policy and that's undestandable. Besides, such a poll is pretty useless trolling anyway -- silly childish "what-ifs".
I would be much more concerned about one of those more constructive threads being locked, but haven't noticed that so far.

The big question now is whether Bethesda will listen, or, at all, notice all the valuable points being so aptly illustrated. But then again, who are we to judge something we haven't even seen a glimpse of? Let's wait and see.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Chinese Jetpilot said:

Simple way to do that would be to point out that you could sit there, for example, in the case of the 5 orcs(wooo...) and fill their buddies full of arrows while Radiant A"I" would have them muttering about rats and wind, mean while their buddies corpses would be laying on the ground looking like an arrow cushion. Wonder how that happened?

My favorite was on the occasions that I would miss and an arrow would tink down by their foot, and get the same exact line if ANY kind of "reaction". It got even worse when I tried a mod to "improve" "stealth" "mechanics"...

Radscorpion lines: Couldn't give a rat's ass about codex points, but I do enjoy WAY over the top sophomoric humor... }:)

[EDIT adding some additional commentary]
It was on OK action game, I think, the further I get away from it. I mean I DID have a little bit of fun sniping away at mobs on occasion, until I realized that they NEVER were EVER going to react in anything remotely approaching an intelligent fashion. Add to this, that I thoroughly detest LARPing and LARPers so I can't even force myself to get into that shit. At least if it HAD things liek CLIMBING and the ability to ENTER building and other objects other than through the front door, I may have gotten a LITTLE more enjoyment out of it, but no, it's a friggin' First Person Melee with ultra shit A"I" for LARPers, apparently...

Found the poll, and voted for Obsidian, as I can't bring myself to vote for a dead company, Troika, although if the developers had been listed I would have voted for them dependent upon who was listed over Obsidian...

Heh heh, I see that Kreidebein actually got a kthx in a reply. Never really noticed that before in the threads that I've bothered to read, so I guess that it's not an urban legend after all... Now all I need is a ROFLCOPTER in a forum post...

some ESF poster said:
Quite so. I can't wait for Bethesda's next revolutionary game: "Real-time Chess"
Damn the thread was closed, but ow I would have pointed out that it was done LONG ago, Archon, early 80s I think, although not actually chess it was BASED off of chess and semi-realtime, well the combat for squares was RT action, perfect for the ADD set!
[/EDIT]

mugarod

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
WEll okay, that poll... yes. Well, it's forgiveable: it was, after all, a rather bland insulting poll to post on Bethesda's forums. Imagine someone posting a "Who should have developed AoD instead of Iron Tower?" poll (with options like Bethesda, Bioware etc)? Of course VD wouldn't lock it, and would have made good fun of it instead, but Bethesda has a different policy and that's undestandable. Besides, such a poll is pretty useless trolling anyway -- silly childish "what-ifs".
While I agree that results of the poll was insulting to Bethesda, but its should be an eye opener for them. Its not like I made people vote the way I wanted them too, there was clear choices. They have to look and see that Fallout community wants an rpg not another "epic" adventure resembling TES. How creative can they be with storyline?

Kraszu

Prophet
Atrokkus said:
The threat that I posted was locked by summer. http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... 681851&hl=
Your post was full of useless hate, lacking any stimulus for healthy discussion, and you were blaming the FO community. SErves ya well.
Unless it was a crafty irony which apparently went over my head.

PS: chill out and let's play SC instead.

I through that my post was more polite I edited some words from it before posting :lol: . Don't know what do you mean about FO community through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom