Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Rip Off Something Awful - Dark Omen or No Love For 56K

abstract said:
On a semi-related note, is Mark of Chaos as bad as everyone is making it out be?

There is people saying it is the worst thing since the third reich, and there is people saying it is fun. At least, so are things with my particular group of friends who are also WarHammer nuts.

If you love the FB ruleset you may want to avoid it. In my case i am going to go and try it when i upgrade this thingie, since i have no greater love for the ruleset in itself (the day they grow beyond d6 and joke armies maybe that will change) and most people i know already have it, so no need to buy it.

Someone is going to burn me down for this, but go and torrent it - If you like, you buy. If not, well... Delete it? Yeah, that one. At least you get to watch the intro video, wich is coolness incarnate, and get to form your own oppinion on the game, wich is always good.

abstract

Scholar
I checked out the demo... felt like Warcraft 3 with prettier grafix and a different setting. Think I'll pass on that one.

abstract

Scholar
No, it doesn't - at least not in the demo. But the game plays very much like the "hero" Warcraft scenarios - you get some troops, explore the map, meet small enemy detachments, recruit new troops, find gold and magic items, there's some banter from the heroes... It's competent and very pretty, but bland.

thras

Novice
abstract said:
No, it doesn't - at least not in the demo. But the game plays very much like the "hero" Warcraft scenarios - you get some troops, explore the map, meet small enemy detachments, recruit new troops, find gold and magic items, there's some banter from the heroes... It's competent and very pretty, but bland.

I downloaded the demo last night, but only had a chance to play the tutorial and start the first mission. The hero duel seems pretty uninteresting. But there certainly seems to be a lot of room for strategy in the game engine.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
abstract said:

Sounds pretty much like the average RTT game. I'll grab it when I buy a new video card.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey guys, I am drowning in physics homework here, but the next update will be huuuuuge (4 battles). Would you rather wait until I can write the whole of it, or would you prefer me writing more numerous, smaller 1-battle updates? I could do one later today, trouncing trolls and frolicking with my sunny demeanour while drunk because withoutb being slightly drunk I will never be motivated enough to do all that crap.

thras

Novice
If it were me, I'd use this opportunity to get the codex to do my physics homework for me.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Just post some of your homework here. We'll do it together if that speeds up the updates ;)

Post the battles the way you want to post them...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you insist! They're pretty easy (say my co-students) but I just never find time.

9: You have a mathematical pendulum with length l. It is swinging inside a train cart that moves horizontally along the earth surface. What is its period? How big is the period of a pendulum that swings in an elevator that moves down, accelerating with a? Please only consides swings with small amplitudes.

11: A piece of rope with lengtht L and the, uh, thickness p (rho) is lying on a board. The end of the piece of rope lies over the board's edge and is l0 long. Find v(t) of the rope as it slides down over the edge. Find the part of the rope that is hanging over the edge with length l(t) as a function of time. Ignore friction.

12: Find a relation between a rocket's momentary weight and its speed v(m) wenn the rockets starts with a mass of 400 tons and has a constant mass-emitting of n (my) and moves vertically along the gravity field of Earth upwards. u, speed of the emitted gas, is 2 km/s in relation to the rocket. Ignore friction. Assume g is constant.

How much mass of fuel per nmin does the rocket have to emit minimally to actually rise? Find the dependency of the rocket's rising-speed to the time wenn the rocket constantly expels 2 nmin.

13: An orb with mass m1 moves with v1. It hits a still orb with mass m2. Both orbs move away after the hit, on a path that is symmetrical to the vector of the push. Find the kinetical energy that is lost due to this pus as a FUNCTION to the angle theta that is the angle from the new vector u1 (first orb's speed after push) and the vectore of v1 if you extend it with a ruler.

And there's something with pulleys but I can figure that out alone. I think.

Edit: They're due in eleven hours from this edit.

Marsal

Arcane
Jasede said:
If you insist! They're pretty easy (say my co-students) but I just never find time.

9: You have a mathematical pendulum with length l. It is swinging inside a train cart that moves horizontally along the earth surface. What is its period? How big is the period of a pendulum that swings in an elevator that moves down, accelerating with a? Please only consides swings with small amplitudes.

11: A piece of rope with lengtht L and the, uh, thickness p (rho) is lying on a board. The end of the piece of rope lies over the board's edge and is l0 long. Find v(t) of the rope as it slides down over the edge. Find the part of the rope that is hanging over the edge with length l(t) as a function of time. Ignore friction.

12: Find a relation between a rocket's momentary weight and its speed v(m) wenn the rockets starts with a mass of 400 tons and has a constant mass-emitting of n (my) and moves vertically along the gravity field of Earth upwards. u, speed of the emitted gas, is 2 km/s in relation to the rocket. Ignore friction. Assume g is constant.

How much mass of fuel per nmin does the rocket have to emit minimally to actually rise? Find the dependency of the rocket's rising-speed to the time wenn the rocket constantly expels 2 nmin.

13: An orb with mass m1 moves with v1. It hits a still orb with mass m2. Both orbs move away after the hit, on a path that is symmetrical to the vector of the push. Find the kinetical energy that is lost due to this pus as a FUNCTION to the angle theta that is the angle from the new vector u1 (first orb's speed after push) and the vectore of v1 if you extend it with a ruler.

And there's something with pulleys but I can figure that out alone. I think.

Edit: They're due in eleven hours from this edit.
This is from high school or first year college? I didn't actually try to solve any of these problems, but they don't seem demanding at all. And this is from a guy that had 2 semesters of physics in college 5 years ago. Of course, without actually solving any, I'm probably wrong. Good luck with this. I'm glad I don't have to do them(I do however have to implement ARP protocol and this seams easier :)). We each have our crosses to bear, I guess ;)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, I didn't look at them yet and missed the last three lectures (cold + being a pussy + weak lungs don't mix) and two exercises, so I need to power-learn the subject matter in a few hours next morning and solve the problems as I go. :cool:

Marsal

Arcane
Jasede said:
Well, I didn't look at them yet and missed the last three lectures (cold + being a pussy + weak lungs don't mix) and two exercises, so I need to power-learn the subject matter in a few hours next morning and solve the problems as I go. :cool:
Well, go learn then and stop posting! KC is out of reach anyway, postcount wise :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Learn? At the evening? Lol. I'll sleep now and learn at 4 AM, the best time to! Nighty! Sorry for no update. It's gonna be an ogre special in return! *spoil*

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jasede said:
For springs:
displacement at time t = amplitude * (sin { natural_freq * time } + phase displacement)
equation of motion (acceleration) = natural_freq ^2 * initial_displacement
natural_freq = sqrt ( spring_const / mass ) [replace spring_const with moment of inertia]
natural_freq = 2 * PI * freq
period = 1 / freq

The spring constant/moment of inertia I think you can get from equations of gravitational force. So the first question you'd solve the normal way, the second you'd take into account the additional force - but I think it would make no difference to the period because it's an unchanging force: F (down) = ma, a is constant, F = 0.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Ok ok I get it, I will write an update today. Your scare tactics are effective, Shannow. :(

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
God damn.

I wrote an update because of that video... make it stop!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Chapter 12 - 1: The Hand of Nagash - Preludium

It's late. I am tired. Writing updates is boring. So without further ado, Let's Play Warhammer: Dark Omen! A fellow furry convinced me to actually write this tonight. Coaxed me, rather. I will spare you the details.

~~Aaaanyway-

ENGREL2007-10-2718-18-08-70.jpg

It's been a while. If you will remember, last time I asked you guys if we should help Ragnar and help him fight some trolls. Well, you guys forced me to, sadly. Which is not nice. So shame on you.

:evil: Ragnar has helped me many a time. It's only fair we assist him this time in return. Besides, we need his men for the mission.
:P I knew I could rely on you, Morgan!

:!: New unit! :!:

ENGREL2007-10-3021-32-33-89.jpg

Actually I am quite happy you decided to do this. While I am personally no big fan of Rangar's Wolves, they're quite an useful unit if you like cavalry. They are basically a less big regiment of the Grudgebringer Cavalry, though about 33% more fragile. They also have this nifty/annoying quality: Ragnar's men always pursue fleeing enemies to the death. They will never stop pursueing a fleeing unit. A double-edged sword.

A short ride later...

:P Trolls sighted up ahead, Morgan! Are you ready to spill their black blood?
:evil: I am always ready! Let's paint the troll lands black!

Battle 17 - Trolltacticular (Cancer)

This battle is hilarious. Also, it sucks. You can breeze through it using nothing but Flagellants, Ragnar's Wolves and the Grudgebringer Cavalry and not lose more than a single Flagellant or two. However, I was less lucky since I just felt like spreading the XP a bit and hence messed up having to control so many units.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-33-53-04.jpg

So what's this all about? Quite simple. 13 trolls. Kill them all. Yes, that's it. That's the whole mission! It's quite a lot of fun, really, but, eh... it's also boring and monotonous. A quick briefing on trolls: trolls cause fear and are very tough. However, since each troll is a single monster, they are incredibly weak to being attacked by two units at once since the one that gets to attack the troll's back gets many free attacks and huge bonuses. Or something like that. They fall faster than flies if you pull that off.

The battlefield is just this "arena". There's caves to the southern hill, facing north-wards, from which certainly no trolls will emerge to suprise us. Yeaaah, right.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-34-46-43.jpg

The first troll comes from the north-east. He's easily overwhelmed by the cavalry and ogres. You may already be able to tell this battle will be boring.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-35-51-87.jpg

Nifty thing to know: trolls are immune to magic. This includes the horn of Urgok that makes sentient beings flee. However, their magic immunity is not 100%. Sounding the horn each turn will make trolls flee, like the fellow to the bottom left. A fleeing troll is a good troll since that way, your units can focus on ganging up on a single one, which is important to minimise your losses.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-36-29-00.jpg

This is a great mission to take because the trolls have a random (!) but very small chance of dropping a chest of gold. You can usually get like three of them from this job!

ENGREL2007-10-3021-37-23-51.jpg

Told you this battle wasn't exciting. More trolls advance to our starting position, but we saw them and are well-prepared.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-37-30-78.jpg

Sweet horn-magic!

ENGREL2007-10-3021-38-36-59.jpg

Trolls swarm us from their caves. Caves not pictured, we must all save.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-38-58-03.jpg

So who do you think kills his troll faster? The 3 ogres with the 9 flagellants or the about 27 cavalry? I'll spoil you: the infantry! Yes, I dislike infantry, but not when it kicks so much ass as those ogres and flagellants, hitting harder than even the cavalry, pretty damn impressive.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-40-07-51.jpg

More trolls wait for us to the northern part of this frozen lakeside. Now, I admit I read strategy guides for this game on the internet. They all say magic isn't worth using against trolls because of their magic resistence. I beg to differ.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-40-24-42.jpg

Second troll burned. This one took three castings of the burning skull spell - twice his magic resistence kicked in. Third time's the charm!

ENGREL2007-10-3021-40-43-20.jpg

Oh shi-

ENGREL2007-10-3021-41-01-95.jpg

Whew! The troll was charging our wizard but the infantry could intercept him before he came too close for comfort. The last trolls fall easily. Told you this battle was boring! Maybe I should do a "wizard only" run of it. :S

ENGREL2007-10-3021-41-39-48.jpg

This does not look suspicious at all!

ENGREL2007-10-3021-42-38-81.jpg

A ton of fireballs later reveal...

ENGREL2007-10-3021-43-26-34.jpg

The staff of kicking ass! This is basically a staff to zap the lightning version of the blast spell once a round. Good to get some cheap kills in for free!

ENGREL2007-10-3021-42-48-89.jpg

With that, we're done here.

ENGREL2007-10-3021-42-56-95.jpg

Not a good run, considering you can do this losing no more than one or two men, and that's if you're unlucky. I never claimed to be very good at this game though! :D

So, Ragnar... you better be grateful! Buttsex?

ENGREL2007-10-3021-44-47-90.jpg

:P It was good to shed some blood again by your side, Morgan! Now to shed some more blood... My troops are yours to command!
:evil: Ready the troops! We march north!

No buttsex. It's a cold, unjust world.

Tomorrow: four regiments of skeleton archers firing at us at once, a skullscreamer catapult to top things up, and WTF CHARIOTS. Stay tuned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom