Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch me play a shitty game (Fallout 3) (COMPLETED!!)

DriacKin

Arbiter
Part 5 – The Searchers

We left off last time in front of the gates to the great city of Megaton.
But, before we enter, we’re going to rewind a little…

I don’t remember exactly where, but we found this lab coat somewhere in Vault 101 while we were escaping:
125.jpg

i3.jpg
How the hell does wearing a stupid jacket make you a better scientist? How does that make any sense?

i3.jpg
This isn’t D&D. You can’t just get away with saying that the item has magically imbued properties.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Can we go on now?

i3.jpg
Seriously. Isn’t this is supposed to be a semi-realistic game? The next thing you know, people are gonna start hurling fireballs and casting magic missiles…

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Are you finally done whining yet?

i3.jpg
Yeah. I feel better now.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Anyway, like the whiny narrator dude mentioned, we left off last time right outside the gates to the mega awesome city of Megaton.

126.jpg

Welcome to Megaton. We see a guy coming our way to greet us.

127.jpg

FACT: Lucas Simms walks around wearing a silly old-west style hat, a silly old-west style trenchcoat, and a silly old-west style sheriff's badge.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What’s with the stupid hat? Who are you trying to be? A Black Clint Eastwood?

128.jpg

He gets fuckin’ mad at us for making fun at his fuckin’ hat.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Dude, calm down. I was just joking around.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Fuckin’ psycho.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So...um…why is this place called Megaton?

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Well, back during the war, some damn crackers were flying over this joint and started droppin’ nuclear bombs all over. But one of them bombs didn’t fuckin’ blow up. So, we decided to build our town around it.

The unexploded bomb:
129.jpg

i3.jpg
Dude, the bomb is fucking gigantic. I mean, it’s as tall as like 5 people.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Like I said, them crackers be crazy. Don’t know nothing about makin’ guns or bombs or nothin’

i3.jpg
But seriously, this thing is at least like 10 times larger than the ones we dropped in Japan. Shouldn’t these things be getting smaller as technology got better?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Umm…isn’t it kinda dangerous to build a town around a bomb?

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Damn thing hasn’t gone off in 200 years. Plus, ain’t nobody here smart enough to disarm that thing.

130.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Well… I could put on one of my “+5 ring of bomb defusing” and try to disarm it.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Well, if ya can do it, there’ll be a reward for ya. But, don’t fuck up. Don’t need some cracker comin in and blowin’ up everythin’.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
So anyway, what business you got in Megaton?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
I’m looking for my daddy. He abandoned me back home, and I’m looking for him. I think he might have come here.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
My daddy abandoned me when I was a kid too. Stupid nigga. Anyway, I might’ve seen your daddy. What’s he look like?

131.jpg

i3.jpg
:sigh:

132.jpg

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
Well, the dude seemed like he might’ve been a bit high tho’. I saw him headin’ over to the saloon over there.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
OK. I’ll check it out.

LucasSimmsSmall.jpg
That’s fine. Just don’t go makin’ trouble. I’m gonna fuckin’ end ya if ya make any trouble.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
OK. But first, we’re gonna go exploring!! I mean, this is the first time I’ve been outta that stupid vault. I wanna see stuff!!

Meet the residents of Megaton:
133.jpg

This is Jenny. She sells food. Other than that, she’s pretty useless.

134.jpg

She also owns this tavern (along with her 2 brothers.) Let’s go inside.

135.jpg

Here’s the first brother, Leo. This is a tavern, so you can buy drinks from him.

136.jpg

And here’s the other brother (Andy). He’s pretty useless.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
This place is lame. Let's go somewhere else.

137.jpg

Meet the town doctor.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
So doc, know any embarrassing medical secrets about the townfolk that one could blackmail them with?

138.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Please? I’ll keep it a secret, I promise.

139.jpg

FACT: In real life a jet is a type of plane. In Fallout 3, it’s a type of drug.

i3.jpg
Wait. You just told a complete stranger about some dude’s confidential medical issues? WTF man?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Don’t worry. I won’t try and blackmail him or anything like that. Promise. :wink:

Obviously, the first thing we do afterwords is go up to Leo and confront him:

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Hey dude, I know you’re a druggie. And, if you don’t help me out, I’ll tell everyone else.

140.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Fine. Then I’ll tell your whole family about your “problem”. Let’s see if you still think it no big fucking deal.

i3.jpg
Dude, Fallout 3 doesn’t let you tell his family or the sheriff about it. There aren’t any new dialogue options with any of them.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What?!! That’s fucking lame… I guess we’ll just be nice to this guy.

141.jpg

i3.jpg
Dude, I don’t think that’ll work. I mean, this guy’s an addict. You don’t just give it up immediately. This is a slow process. Takes time...

142.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
See? Told ya it would work.

i3.jpg
WTF man? WTF?

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Whatever. Let’s just head over to his drug stash. We’ll smoke it all ourselves.

i3.jpg
Sounds good to me. Lets go.

143.jpg

We loot Leo’s stash. I found it interesting that not only did Leo leave us his drugs, he gave us some money as well. (Bottle caps are currency in Fallout)

144.jpg

While we’re at the water purification plant, we meet this guy.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Hey dude. You wouldn’t happen to have any really contrived missions for us, would you?

145.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
And you want us to fix them for you. Yay!

FACT: There are 3 broken pipes scattered across the city that we have to fix:
146.jpg

Here’s the first one. We press ‘E’ to try and fix the pipe.

147.jpg

i3.jpg
Looks like we can’t fix it. Our Repair skill isn’t high enough yet.

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Don’t worry. We can just equip our “+5 jacket of pipe fixing”

148.jpg

And, that pushes our repair skill over 30, so…

149.jpg

…now we can fix the first pipe.

150.jpg

and the second one…

151.jpg

…and here’s the last one.
I wish I had a “pipe joint” right now.

We go back to Walter to get our reward.
152.jpg

He gives us 200 bottle caps as a reward.

153.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Moar Quest?

154.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
Yay!! Another Fetch Quest!!

i3.jpg
Anyway, we haven’t met everyone in town yet. Let’s explore some more.

155.jpg

Meet Billy Creel, the town’s pedophile. He lives with Maggie...

156.jpg

...who’s looks like she’s about 7 years old. Billy takes care of her real well. :wink:

157.jpg

Meet Mr. Cromwell. He’s the leader of the local cult, The Children of Atom.
They worship that big bomb in the middle of town that never exploded.

Here’s what they believe:
158.jpg

159.jpg

MainCharacterSmall.jpg
What the hell? Aren’t there any normal people around here?

i3.jpg
Well, we haven’t met everyone yet. Let’s head over to that store over there. Let’s meet the owner.

160.jpg

We go here next time.

I’m gonna stop here, since this update is getting a bit long. Next time, we get to meet Moira Brown (the store owner), bang a ho, and find out some more info about Daddy Neeson.
The next update should come fairly soon. I’m mostly done with it already.

WalterKinde

Scholar
WTF?
Fix pipes etc by just putting on clothes?
I mean i will buy having to take a drug or something that boosts your stats temporarily like how you could use bloodbuff in VtmB to lock pick, but simply putting on clothes?
Also it wasnt just the fact of the clothes increasing stats but the dialogue calls for a MASTER plumber something you would think you would have to earn via a MASTER trainer or reading specific manuals instead of just leveling up and allocating points or putting on an overall.
And that whole thing with the doctor and junkie those intelligence/charisma checks must be really low i mean you just started the game for important stuff like that it should be higher or depend on a combination of both those skills and your current fame i mean come on you just rolled into to town you are a stranger in a post apocalyptic world.

Morrowind had better checks than that in Seyda Neen you couldnt discover the tavern keeper was a blade just by having high charisma fresh off the boat.

bhlaab

Erudite
Brief moment of good story design coming up-- Look up Billy Creel in Moriarty's computer and you find out he might be a creep who killed Maggie's parents.

Of course, afaik you can't do anything with that information, so the moment is pretty brief.

DriacKin

Arbiter
WalterKinde said:
And that whole thing with the doctor and junkie those intelligence/charisma checks must be really low i mean you just started the game for important stuff like that it should be higher or depend on a combination of both those skills and your current fame i mean come on you just rolled into to town you are a stranger in a post apocalyptic world.
The part with the doctor was actually a skill check on [Medicine], and I have a fairly decent skill lvl in that because of my character's high intelligence and the +10 Medicine bobblehead we found in the tutorial.

The other one with the junkie was a speech check.

Heresiarch said:
OMG HATSUNE MIKU

I REPLIED TO THIS TOPIC JUST BECAUSE OF HER
So, am I the only one around here who has no fucking clue who this is?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
DriacKin said:
Heresiarch said:
OMG HATSUNE MIKU

Hatsune Miku is....a voice synthesizer given a persona called 'Vocaloids'. If I'm not wrong, Yamaha created her so people can have her voice sing out japanese lyrics you write out for her whenever you like. It's only a matter of time before their kind take over the likes of Michael Jackson and Britney Spears. Since you can make her dance on the PSP now and sing at the same time.

Her name literally means: "Voice of the Future"

If you have the persistence to write down the lyrics of 'Maybe' in Japanese katakana, she can sing it for you too.

Miku_hatsune_cover.jpg

She is truly 'Next Gen'

:heart:

Her version of Chicago 'Hard to say I'm sorry'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIWzS2lb_g

WalterKinde

Scholar
DriacKin said:
The part with the doctor was actually a skill check on [Medicine], and I have a fairly decent skill lvl in that because of my character's high intelligence and the +10 Medicine bobblehead we found in the tutorial.
Well that makes no sense whatsoever but its in keeping with the logic of Fallout 3 i guess , how that check influenced the town doctor to give up the goods on a patient eludes me.
I could see him saying something along the lines of "we have a jet addict right here in our town and you can usually tell who is an addict by (insert symptoms)" and then it would be up to the player to figure out who was the addict. Maybe after saving the town and doing a few dogooder quests that increased fame the doctor might come right out and ask for your help in dealing with the addict if you hadnt solved it by the time you had fame. But the way Bethesda designed it massive failure.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So Doctors freely talk about their patients to other "doctors" ? Uh-huh.

bhlaab

Erudite
RK47 said:
DriacKin said:
Heresiarch said:
OMG HATSUNE MIKU

Hatsune Miku is....a voice synthesizer given a persona called 'Vocaloids'. If I'm not wrong, Yamaha created her so people can have her voice sing out japanese lyrics you write out for her whenever you like. It's only a matter of time before their kind take over the likes of Michael Jackson and Britney Spears. Since you can make her dance on the PSP now and sing at the same time.

If you have the persistence to write down the lyrics of 'Maybe' in Japanese katakana, she can sing it for you too.

Miku_hatsune_cover.jpg

She is truly 'Next Gen'

Hang yourself.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
bhlaab said:
RK47 said:
DriacKin said:
Heresiarch said:
OMG HATSUNE MIKU

Miku_hatsune_cover.jpg

She is truly 'Next Gen'

Hang yourself.

Hey be Nice they are going to be the first people to make a fully functional sex robot and i salute there coming!

MisterStone

Arcane
Goddam, I was thinking that when I eventually got a new machine I'd want to give this game a try, warts and all.

But fuck if the writing isn't horrible. Dear lord, a junkie just gave you, a complete random stranger, his stash because you lectured him? FOR FUCKS SAKE...

You ain't playin no shitty game.
Watch ME play shitty game:

Pearl%27s+Disposable+Diaper+front+me.jpg

DIAPER ATTACK

1: touch shit
2: watch shit
3: fight shit

ME I say 4: PLAY SHIT

I earn prize:

doraemon.jpg

DORAEMONN KNIGHT OK!

MetalCraze

Arcane
MisterStone said:
But fuck if the writing isn't horrible. Dear lord, a junkie just gave you, a complete random stranger, his stash because you lectured him? FOR FUCKS SAKE...

"Lectured" is a too good term for casually asking the chronical junkie to stop doing that stuff with one short sentence.
Fallout 3 is just awful - you can enjoy it only if you're a moron.

WalterKinde

Scholar
The strange thing is those 3d models/npcs would actually fit in fallout 3, lets face it the war was over centuries ago but the technology, foodstuffs etc are still in working order so cosmetics (hair, make up etc) and plastic surgery should be available for all along with those swanky skin tight suits.

Radisshu

Prophet
WalterKinde said:
The strange thing is those 3d models/npcs would actually fit in fallout 3, lets face it the war was over centuries ago.

But the fires are still burning!

Strangely.

Multi-headed Cow

bhlaab said:
Brief moment of good story design coming up-- Look up Billy Creel in Moriarty's computer and you find out he might be a creep who killed Maggie's parents.

Of course, afaik you can't do anything with that information, so the moment is pretty brief.
There are a lot of bits like that in Fallout 3. Similar with Leo and his addiction. It's just so half-baked or not properly implemented that it doesn't do you any good.

Another Megaton example, Jericho. You can buy some information off of him, and he tells you that Moriarty keeps most of his money stashed in a cabinet in his bedroom, with the key hanging from his neck. Unfortunately, there's no key for the cabinet anywhere.

Maybe we'll get a Team Gizka for Fallout 3, that will make noises about fixing every half-assed quest and character like that, but in reality will do nothing at all.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Unkillable Cat said:
One question regarding the future of this LP: Will you be visiting Vault 106?

Is that the one where you start seeing hallucinations?

Perhaps... I don't want to get caught up too much in side stuff though. I'll never finish if I do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom