Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview DoubleBear's ZRPG - Know your Meth Dealer

Mortmal

Arcane
Hard to make an alien or zombie game that is not a shooter ? not really you can make an adventure game like lucasarts games, or a real rpg with ton of dialogs ,choices and consequences etc, it requires more work altough.
Plus as far as i understand zombies are just there for the background, the core of the game will be the interactions with survivors.
Its interview states we wont see the usual japanese rpg cliche characters, but realistic humans with realistic motives, that should be enough to spark some interest.

Theres still guys saying that suck, they dont have publisher, but do you still believe one sec we will see dialogue heavy , non action oriented games from mainstream publishers ? The era is to casual gamers, easy family games, making a family game on DS pay, making a game suitable for codex tastes means bankruptcy.

bhlaab

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
A private conversation with an Obsidian employee. Not that this particular rumor is hard to believe, all things considered.

Aaaaaand you just made sure that Brian Mitsoda will never work for anybody besides ITS ever again. Good job.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Vault Dweller said:
Anyways, are they working on ZRPG full-time? Probably not, I doubt they've got any funding, unless they've got some savings. If not, where are they working right now?
Brian is working on the game full time and is very, very committed to it. There is quite a lot to show already, but that's not my call, obviously.

Full-time? Wow. This might actually get somewhere, then.

bhlaab said:
Vault Dweller said:
A private conversation with an Obsidian employee. Not that this particular rumor is hard to believe, all things considered.

Aaaaaand you just made sure that Brian Mitsoda will never work for anybody besides ITS ever again. Good job.

Nigga please. Nobody's gonna give a shit. Especially since nothing substantial has been said. It could've been either Annie or Brian, but it could've actually been anyone at Obsidian. Game companies probably only care if you start bitching really vocally about your old team, because seriously, nobody wants to hire an asshole.

Starwars

Arcane

Well, he is working for his own company at the moment, which is not ITS. :P

And there are many OEI employees, I've spoken about Alien with one dude who is definitely not Brian Mitsoda.

It does seem like there were some production problems. I also believe it would've been quite action-y overall, but there were also some good design ideas from what I heard. I would've gladly taken an action-RPG with horror elements set in the Alien universe.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
bhlaab said:
Vault Dweller said:

I talked to a guy who actually worked on the game. Brian worked on AP. I tried to get Sawyer to do an interview talking about the game a bit after it was canceled but they have an NDA which expires in 2 years.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I was actually pretty stunned that Aliens RPG got the axe. I only worked on it for 3 weeks before I left to move to Seattle, but it looked really solid and interesting, and I dug on the characters quite a bit. Also, it was Sawyer's baby, not Avellone's, just to clear that up.

Also, Brian's working on the game full-time, while I'm full-time at a mainstream game company and working on ZRPG part-time (and yes, mainstream game company knows about ZRPG and is cool with me working on it so don't be all OMG ANNIE GONNA LOSE HER JOB or anything). Work's been progressing really well, and again, it's NOT JUST US. We've got support from the ITS guys, and some other folks. I know it's hard to take our word for it when we're not showing you anything and PLENTY of other companies are all 'oh here is some spun-sugar bullshit hype text for youuuuu' but no, seriously, stuff is going well.

As Brian said in the interview, it's fucking NICE that we can show shit when we want to, and not when marketing is breathing down our necks about it. Also I know for a fact that Brian doesn't like just releasing concept art, because as we-who-have-lived-through-the-8-bit-era know, the art on the box is maybe perhaps NOT AT ALL like it's gonna look in game, which is not to say that our concepts won't, but just that people are sensitive to that kinda trickery.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looking forward to seeing/reading more of the game, good luck.

Also your post gives my theory about Sega being the worst publisher in the history of publishers more fuel.

/shakefist @ VD

hiver

Vault Dweller said:
Brian worked on AP. I tried to get Sawyer to do an interview talking about the game a bit after it was canceled but they have an NDA which expires in 2 years.
Do you mean to pursue the subject after NDA expires? -edit-
it would be really interesting to finaly find out what was the problem (if there was some particular one) and how far actually theyve got with it.

Im sure a lot of other people on boards will stay really curious about it for a long time.
Would be nice to know.

Annie Carlson said:
I was actually pretty stunned that Aliens RPG got the axe. I only worked on it for 3 weeks before I left to move to Seattle, but it looked really solid and interesting, and I dug on the characters quite a bit. Also, it was Sawyer's baby, not Avellone's, just to clear that up.

Also, Brian's working on the game full-time, while I'm full-time at a mainstream game company and working on ZRPG part-time (and yes, mainstream game company knows about ZRPG and is cool with me working on it so don't be all OMG ANNIE GONNA LOSE HER JOB or anything). Work's been progressing really well, and again, it's NOT JUST US. We've got support from the ITS guys, and some other folks. I know it's hard to take our word for it when we're not showing you anything and PLENTY of other companies are all 'oh here is some spun-sugar bullshit hype text for youuuuu' but no, seriously, stuff is going well.

As Brian said in the interview, it's fucking NICE that we can show shit when we want to, and not when marketing is breathing down our necks about it. Also I know for a fact that Brian doesn't like just releasing concept art, because as we-who-have-lived-through-the-8-bit-era know, the art on the box is maybe perhaps NOT AT ALL like it's gonna look in game, which is not to say that our concepts won't, but just that people are sensitive to that kinda trickery.
You know, i think youre doing a really good job with it so far.
It sure will be much more talk and general hassle about it when we do get to see something substantial from you guys, but so far i like the approach.

Most of us at ITS are already accustomed to "no nonsense" style of communication with VD and the crew, but since most of people have been there for some time its also a bit relaxed and we already feel we have some kind of right to bugg them about things and just shoot off any kinds of ideas and suggestions, or mess around with things in AoD - as much as they let us :).

You guys, especially Brian in his posting, spread this kind of a... more somber approach in publishing details about the game and its even somewhat nice. Relaxed. down to earth. I kinda like it...
Its somewhat of a juxtaposition regarding that you guys come from the high profile industry studios with marketing devisions and all that ... crap and conditions and rules and stuff, while IT guys are - from the other side of the fence :)

Anyway, i think it was one of those right move at the right time things by both you guys at DoubleBear and IT crew. If it all works... i dont wanna jinx it but, it could be a great thing for the medium overall.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
hiver said:
Vault Dweller said:
Brian worked on AP. I tried to get Sawyer to do an interview talking about the game a bit after it was canceled but they have an NDA which expires in 2 years.
Do you mean to pursue the subject after NDA expires still?
Naturally. I'd love to know more about the design aspects. How things were done and why.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
OMG ANNIE GONNA LOSE HER JOB!!1!1!

Actually, hopefully Sawyer et al can be properly interviewed after the NDA has gone up in smoke. The ideas behind Aliens RPG deserve to see the daylight at some point.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Vault Dweller said:
hiver said:
Vault Dweller said:
Naturally. I'd love to know more about the design aspects. How things were done and why.

YOU CAN'T STEALTH ALIENS LOLOL!!!

bhlaab

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
bhlaab said:
Vault Dweller said:

I talked to a guy who actually worked on the game. Brian worked on AP. I tried to get Sawyer to do an interview talking about the game a bit after it was canceled but they have an NDA which expires in 2 years.

Okay, let's keep on narrowing it down. Does he have.... brown hair?? :)

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It's sad that the Aliens RPG didn't see a release, it definitely had potential. When the NDA is lifted it would be interesting to hear what ideas they had while in development.

Also...
122846-aliensrpg.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Kingston said:
Vault Dweller said:
hiver said:
Vault Dweller said:

YOU CAN'T STEALTH ALIENS LOLOL!!!

God, that was a retarded thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom