Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Releases Concept Art

HardCode

Erudite
Well, my initial reaction at TES forum says it all:

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Game was supposed to be out soon, and we get CONCEPT ART! All right!! w00t! w00t! Perhaps next week, we will get digital pics of the eraseable marker board in the Bethesda board room from 2004!!!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

Doesn't the bottom, middle one look like Michael Jackson?

Chefe

Erudite
What happened to the old concept art?

Oh, right... the guy had a spear.

I like the direction, it looks good. I don't know why they posted a concept art of target dummies though.

HardCode

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Also - The Rock, voiceovers for Soil Erosion.

Damn you, editing your edits...

Only listened to the beginning and heard about The Rock. And, the file name was named with a date of 11-7-05, not today!

However, the mentioning of the Rock was the most exciting thing in that audio clip. I turned it off fast.

Chefe

Erudite
I'm listening to it now.

"It'll be cool" blah blah blah "Visuals are amazing" blah blah blah... Gavin doesn't say shit about anything important. By the sounds of his voice, it seems like he's disappointed. RAI not up to snuff, maybe?

Edit: Damn, he really drags on about the voice actors.

Edit: According to Gavin, the best aspect of the game is RAI and their virtual life. Not about how you can influence the world, but how the NPCs walk around and eat ALL BY THEMSELVES.

Edit: Fallout 3 = No Comment (surprise)

Twinfalls

Erudite
The art is nice, but I liked MW's better. And they've got to do something about the all-brown houses. Daggerfall's buildings had good colour variety, reflecting how Bavarian medieval towns look. Who's the brown fetishist who's taken over since Morrowind?

roguefrog

Liturgist
That elven long sword is a dumbass fantasy sword that would kill its wielder in under 10 seconds though.

ExMonk

Scholar
Pete said:
Glad to see you all enjoyed it.

Listened to it. Only interesting question to me was what influence do the suits (people above Gavin) have on game development. He then mentioned PR and Marketing people as examples of suits. Gavin responded that the devs have almost complete autonomy in making the game they want.

How does it feel being referred to as a suit PR man?

Beyond that, it was disappointing. The way the interviewer stumbled over his words, it seemed as if he was making up his questions as he went. The impression is that he hadn't given the interview much thought beforehand. The questions were terrible.

Chefe

Erudite
Balor said:
WTF?
The imp is a 100% ripoff from AD&D cover for "Armies of Abyss", Book of Fiends, volume two.
See header of my site (small, but it's clearly visible):
http://balor.rumor.ru/index.html
or here
http://forum.rumor.ru/index.php?showuser=77
Or one who drew the cover drew those images as well?
It's way too close match for a mere coincidence.

True. The only difference is, the guy who drew your imp is a better artist and it looks a helluva lot better.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Balor:

The head of both pictures look similar but that is about it.

Actually, what I find awkward is the Dark Brotherhood pictures. That is a wide set of hips and torso I think.

EDIT:

And yeah, what Chefe said.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it's not imp - I think it's Balor ;). (On the other hand, no fiery aura... hmm, it might be a generic demon, but the drawing is quite good anyways)
At least, it fits description.

Here is the full image:
AofA.jpg

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hell, I thought maybe you were exagerrating Balor, but the head itself is a direct copy.
It's like they put some transparent paper over the D&D manual and then traced it.

"I can't get the head quite right..."
"Oh well, copy this one directly. Those RPG fans are too thick to notice."

Chefe

Erudite
Fucking shit. Bethesda's is a direct copy, right down the the wings.

First the theme song, which IMO was almost a direct rip of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie theme, and now this.

copycat9rh.jpg

Any word, MSFD?

Balor

Arcane
Well, again, it could be possible that the guy that drew that manual is exactly the guy that drew the art.
But even self'-copying of such kind is a bad taste, IMO.

Pete

Novice
By the way, the Imps in those pictures are completely different. ;)

Chefe

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, again, it could be possible that the guy that drew that manual is exactly the guy that drew the art.
But even self'-copying of such kind is a bad taste, IMO.

Fantasy artists, such as the one who drew the picture you posted, I have rarely seen copy their stuff. Never have I seen a direct copy, or even a partial copy, for a commercial product they have done (I'm saying "they" because I can't remember any names).

I mean, if a guy can draw like that (you posted), I seriously doubt he couldn't come up with something else and would just copy his old stuff. Creating new things is what artists do.

Balor

Arcane
Ok, now, to we add blindness to a numerous list of Pete's disabilities :D.

Balor

Arcane
Well, come to think of it, it's not 100% copy, but the head is, inded, 100% copy-paste.
Body too, actually, and wings, but he has a different pose.
Anyway, I kinda agree with Chefe, and see my above post.
Provided it's the same artist, even.

ExMonk

Scholar
Naked_Lunch said:
Fuck you all and your Oblivion threads.

It's one of the more interesting rpgs coming out in the near future, even with its perceived warts. This is rpgcodex. Oblivion is an rpg. Get over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom