Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware MMO - Knight of the Old Republic Online

bylam

Funcom
Developer
So...a friend of mine who attended the Austin Game Developer Conference mentioned that some Bioware folks let slip that the new Bioware MMO is KOTOR Online.

Is this going to follow the story developed in 1 and 2? Will Revan and the Outcast be reduced to raid encounters?
Will the Sith be a playable race?

Will Star Wars Galaxies finally be buried?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd love a Kotor: Torment jRPG by Chris Avellone that depicts the life of Kreia when she was younger.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
SuAside said:
KOTOR online? i dont see this working very well... though being better than SW:G really shouldnt be too hard (though i've never tried it myself).

PS: Sith are a faction, not a race ;)

Pretty sure they are a race...and the Sith (faction) ideals are taken from the race.

Wasn't that what happened at the end of KOTOR 1 and 2 - the player went into deep space to look for where the original sith went?

DarkSign

Erudite
This makes sense. Unless you were just a die-hard, most people wanted to be a Jedi in SWG. Sales of accounts for Jedi vastly outweighed anything else out there.

Force powers, saber styles, hippie mysticism...what's not to love? It wont be an RPG mind you, but it'll be fun.

tardtastic

Scholar
AWESOME! :)
obviously the reason that the kotor series has been so popular is because of the combat and leveling, so it's great that the series can finally shed all that useless dialogue and non-linearity and story-telling and get down to what's really important

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'd guess it would be during the Mandalorian Wars, that way you have a bunch of Jedi, PvP, and room to develop a story. Probably won't start out as a Jedi.

Oh, and KOTOR combat prevents bunnyhopping around like an idiot.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm- :?:

I thought the whole idea of MMO games was that the gamers themselves made up the story :?: And just went around in the game killing stuff and such. I have, however, now for a long time expected Bioware MMO to be Kotor onine... or Star Wars Online...

Texas Red

Whiner
"Master Jedi, I have summoned you here because of my troubles. (Space) Rats have infested my basement."

Zomg

Arbiter
Say goodbye to one of the last two mainstream dialog RPG devs. The whole enterprise will be converted to MMO trough-filling.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Say goodbye to one of the last two mainstream dialog RPG devs. The whole enterprise will be converted to MMO trough-filling."

What ya blabbin' about? This game won't effect BIO we've all come to know to love and hate. BIO Edmonton will do what it's always done - make games their fans enjoy; but the Codex enjoys but bash anyways. BIO 'Some Unimportant US City' is making the MMORPG.

That's right. You are a moron to think this will hurt BIO. They went out, and created a whole new division. It's called EXPANSION. Many successful companies tend to do that.

It's not a case of either/or.

That said, if it is a KOTOR MMORPG; I'm dissapointed. Such a waste.

NiM82

Prophet
I like the Kotor universe (more so than the normal SW setting), but I'd much rather they did a good K3 (with point n click interface) than any MMO in the setting.

That being said - I thought Bioware was more interested in creating unique IP these days, I'd have thought a Mass Effect MMO would be more in line with their current direction?

Zomg

Arbiter
Volourn said:
What ya blabbin' about? This game won't effect BIO we've all come to know to love and hate.

Whoops, then. Didn't realize it was just being subcontracted under the same brand name.

tardtastic

Scholar
is it just me or do a lot of mattress commercials feature orgasmic vocal sound effects?

DarkSign

Erudite
How much can we trust this source? I dont know that i'll believe it till I hear it from the horse's mouth. Didnt we hear already that they werent doing a SW MMO. From what I heard they got peeved with Lucas Arts a long time ago as it was difficult to work with them.

That's why Obsidian got the KOTOR franchise, because BioWare didnt want to work with LA anymore.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Whoops, then. Didn't realize it was just being subcontracted under the same brand name."

It's not really subcontract. It's still BIO. They just expanded with new officies inTexas. they even basically hired all new stuff (with some turnover, of course).

The two BIO divisions won't really overlap (outside of sharing resources). BIO Edmonton (the original, known company) will still focus on RPGs 9or action rpgs, whatever), and the BIO Austin (Texas) team will focus on MMORPGs (or just the one, anyways, heh).

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I call shenanigans.

They're specifically using an engine which specializes in remote working and they're not mingling talent? I highly doubt it. In fact, that's probably the reason they got the engine in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom