Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VTMB True Patch Being Abandoned (Drama!)

dagorkan

Arbiter
4.05 AT will be the last one...

Read here

I have to wonder why Planet Vampire is so biased against Tessera. And why don't any VTM fan-sites offer to host the mod? Sure she hasn't got the most likable personality but the mod wasn't made by her, it was made for all players who wanted a patch without any 'add-ons' (I know many of you have complained about that).

Wesp5

Arcane
dagorkan said:
4.05 AT will be the last one...

I really hope so, as doing several competing fan patches is just a waste of time and resources. I asked Acrimonious, who actually did all the work behind the "true" patches, to work with me together on what later became my "basic" patch a long time ago, but he refused, probably because Tessera had alienated him beyond reason.

I have to wonder why Planet Vampire is so biased against Tessera. And why don't any VTM fan-sites offer to host the mod?

There are several reasons. Most people on these boards know that the "true" patch started by ripping off my 3.3 version without asking for permission or giving proper credits and Tessera never really stood to this fact unlike Acrimonious who did. Of course this created a lot of bad blood and when they started from scratch later on the damage was already done and nobody would really believe them anymore that they would do the patch completely without using mine. It also doesn't help that Tessera was caught over and over again lieing to promote his patch and to attack mine, recently again at Planet Vampire (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetvampir ... 087870&p=1).

Or just read the announcement you linked to:

"It is simply not very rewarding for me anymore."

I always thought he did this only to serve the Bloodlines community and to support a great game, now suddenly he admits it's all about him!

"Wesp immediately became hostile, and so did his followers."

Another typical lie of his. Just compare his announcement thread on Planet Vampire (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetvampir ... id=2087785) to that which you linked to and tell me which side shows the real hostility here! There are other strange things: he claims over 10,000 downloads but still "As for the players themselves, only a very few of them have openly supported our patch." No one of these 10.000 cared enough to support this great patch? Or maybe that high number isn't true...

Sure she hasn't got the most likable personality but the mod wasn't made by her, it was made for all players who wanted a patch without any 'add-ons' (I know many of you have complained about that).

Such a patch is still available in the "basic" version of the unofficial patch and has most of the controversial changes of the unofficial patch removed. I admit that I underestimated the want for such a "purist" version and this is the one good thing that came out of this whole ugly issue...

psycojester

Arbiter
Now if you really want to make my day you can announce that Tessera has decided to become an hero.

TrustNo1

Scholar
tardtastic said:
whats the difference between patches anyway :(

boobies in the non-true?

It`s Bloodlines. It will be boobies there anyway. :wink:

Deleted member 7219

I don't really care. I've always used Wesp5's because he seems like the nicest one and the patches have always worked fine for me. And I don't get the whole 'addon' controversy. AFAIK, Wesp5 is only restoring stuff that Troika had to cut for time reasons, right? That's fine by me.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Matt7895 said:
I don't really care. I've always used Wesp5's because he seems like the nicest one and the patches have always worked fine for me. And I don't get the whole 'addon' controversy. AFAIK, Wesp5 is only restoring stuff that Troika had to cut for time reasons, right? That's fine by me.
He's also restoring stuff that HE THINKS Troika had to cut or leave out or didn't have time to finish.

Still, Wesp is a nice guy and I use his patches too, despite them being more like mods than real patches from time to time.

Wesp5

Arcane
Locue said:
He's also restoring stuff that HE THINKS Troika had to cut or leave out or didn't have time to finish.

Of course I have no idea why Troika left some things out, my policy is just to restore as much unfinished stuff as I can, but only stuff actually found in the files of the released game. Nothing new added by myself besides details needed to fit the other things in. And for those who don't like this, I maintain the "basic" patch since several versions which has all the fixes but no restored stuff that could have impact on the gameplay.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For some virgin in Bloodlines, what will you all recommend?
I very dislike fan added content.
Official 1.02? Or is it very buggy?
Tessera latest patch? How vanilla the game would be?
Wesps basic patch? How vanilla the game would be?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Official patch 1.02 is very, very buggy, to the point of sometimes breaking the game. You should definitely use one of the two modern fan patches. I've used an older version of Wesp's patch (3.something), and in my most recent playthrough, I used Tessera's "True" Patch. Wesp's patch noticeably changed aspects of the game, but on the other hand the playing experience was very smooth; Tessera's seemed to hold much more strongly to Troika's intentions, but didn't fix everything (mostly typos in the dialog . . . I also had an annoying bug where sometimes the AI would be disabled, which may or may not be the patch's fault).

Wesp now has a "basic" patch, which contains all of the fixes from his current patch, but reverts some of the more "mod-like" changes back to the original design. I think that is probably the best bet for what you want. There will still be some changes, but nothing noticeable. Seriously - if you haven't played vanilla Bloodlines, you will never be able to tell where the changes that remain are.

Honestly, both patches are pretty good. The I N T E R N E T D R A M A makes both Tessera and Wesp come off as immature pre-teen nerds desperately seeking approval, but they've both done excellent work and I appreciate their contributions to the V:TM-B community. I just wish they would stop whining.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Official patch is enough to run the game, fixing the deadly game-stopping bug. Use it first before you rush into fanmade patch territory.

In my not so humble opinion.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Mine too, I think. I finished the game with the 1.02 patch and noticed no problems. Than I played it with Wesp's 1.3 patch (iirc) and it was fun, too. I'd try the "official" version first and than use Wesp's patch to see what you've missed the first time :D

cardtrick

Arbiter
Fair enough. You can work around most issues with the console anyway, if you run into them.

tardtastic

Scholar
Ithere enough different in Wesp's that I ought to play through the game again ith Wesp's mod) even if the idea of playing through the vanilla game (i.e., without a mod to change stuff) again doesn't really appeal to me?

NiM82

Prophet
It fixes a lot of silly little bugs and stuff but it doesn't really fix the shitty design elements in the latter parts of the game, which I think put most people off.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Wesp5 said:
There are several reasons. Most people on these boards know that the "true" patch started by ripping off my 3.3 version without asking for permission or giving proper credits and Tessera never really stood to this fact unlike Acrimonious who did.
Yeah but should the two patches really be different and have no influence over each other? If you found a solution to a particular bug/problem and your solution was the best possible, why should Tess and Acrimonious spend all their time trying to solve the same bug in a different way?

And isn't having two 'basic' patches better than just one? Choice > no choice?

"It is simply not very rewarding for me anymore."

I always thought he did this only to serve the Bloodlines community and to support a great game, now suddenly he admits it's all about him!
Come on... nobody believes that modders make patches out of the pure altruistic goodness of their hearts! I'm sure it does play a part and that you do enjoy other people enjoying the improvements you made to the game - but everybody wants to have their efforts appreciated and rewarded. It's human nature and there's nothing wrong with it.

Wesp5

Arcane
dagorkan said:
If you found a solution to a particular bug/problem and your solution was the best possible, why should Tess and Acrimonious spend all their time trying to solve the same bug in a different way?

I agree and because it was my fault to misjudge the want for a "purist" patch at first, I even offered Acrimonious to continue from my work under the conditions that they include the unchanged original patch readme and maybe rename it to something less insulting like "bug-fixes-only" or "basic" patch. Acrimonious agreed to that on the Planet Vampire boards where this can be verified, but for some unknown reasons Tessera removed the readme before putting the patch on his site, kept the "true" name, continued bashing my patch while using 99% of it as their base and at the same time claimed there was nothing of my work left in it, which of course could be disproved very easily. I guess Acrimonious finally got fed up with all of Tessera's lies and started from scratch, but he just had no chance to re-do all the fixes which accumated over the last three years and so I started a "basic" patch myself.

And isn't having two 'basic' patches better than just one? Choice > no choice?

Again you are right on principle, but I think Tessera never even acknowledged my "basic" patch and kept on insulting everything I did while claiming their "true" patch was exactly as Troika would have wanted it. This is just no way to treat the competition especially when you started by using their work in the first place...

It's human nature and there's nothing wrong with it.

I agree. But Tessera made such a big show all the time how I would defile Bloodlines and they just had to make the patch for the benefit of the game and the players alone ;).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oscar016.jpg

Lurkar

Scholar
Can't say I've followed the drama, but anything with Tessara's name on it is almost mandatory to be utter shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom