Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why did both PS:T and MotB not sell?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Yeah, I know, we had a lot of threads about MotB for about a year now, but the thing about my personal best game of 2007 that strikes me most, is: Why the fuck noone bought it?

We have discussed the similarities between PS:T and MotB extensively, but we never asked, what have those games in common, that made them uninteresting for the masses and a commercial failure? And what is the lesson to be learned?

I've made some speculations:

1. The rulseset:

Both games used D&D - a ruleset widly known for heroic fantasy, but both games didn't
feature anything "heroic", so expectations did not match what was given. No matching of expectations = no buy.

2. The setting:

Planescape and FR: Rashemon are mostly unknown to computer gamers and most of the p&p crowd. PS is discontinued and the only link CRPG players had to Rashemon was Minsc. And there was (reasonably) no cameo of him in MotB. So no hook to relate to in both games for the majority of potential buyers. No relation - no buy.

3. The twisted ruleset

PS:T featured death as an action and allowed the change of classes, while MotB incorporated the spirit meter. Both features turn the ruleset upside down and leave known territory of gaming. Although the spirit meter is quite similar to the blood hunger of the VtM games, it destroyed a lot of popular tactics from both NWN and NWN2. The reaction of the casual players were quite negative, as most of the online reviews indicate. No known territory in the ruleset = no buy.

4. The main character

PS:T featured the Nameless One, who by defintion has no backstory, but discovers that former incarnations of himself did some very disturbing things to other people. He feels to be manipulated and remote controlled all around, but discovers the one true answer only in the last part of the game - "everything can change the nature of a man". In MotB the backstory of the main character does not really matter and the he/she is manipulated from the beginning by the betrayer/the hunger and the main character feels remote controlled right from the beginning. So, most players felt a lot of baggage in their relationship with the main character, even if they imported their lvl 20 Paladin from NWN2. The estrangement leads to disinterest. Disinterest = no buy.

5. The artwork

PS:T featured the NMO (aka a twisted version of Guido Henkel's face) on the box cover, while MotB featured the eye and tentacles of the Betrayer on the box cover. Let's be honest - both look ugly and spooky and simply not inviting. No attractive box = no buy.

6. No hype.

Let's amdmit it: MotB came totally out of the left field for most of us - and we actually CARE about CRPG related information. The vast majority of potential buyers weren't hyped about that game - I never saw it in any "waiting eagerly for" chart lists. It was released to little or no fanfare, maybe because it was "just an expansion". PS:T was previewed a bit in those days (I don't know about the Internet, only about magazines), but not half as much as BG1 or BG2 did. Leave it to Bioware: They are much more professional in hyping than Black Isle/ Obsidian will ever be. The only talent they had, "good" ol' Ferret didn't leave for Bioware for no reason. No hype = no sales.

Lesson learned: Both games were superb hardcore gamer's dreams. But as MCA once stated: It was too much in one game. I think both games coud've been much more successfull if they reduced the "originality" factor just one bit: I think a MotB in a more known region of the FR would've been more "accessible" and better business for Obsidian. More hype by Obsidian and Atari coud've worked too.

So what we have now: Two brilliant games that noone bought and very little chance to have another one of those games produced in the future. We're screwed.

Or what do you think?

mjorkerina

Scholar
2. The setting:

Duh. So why neverwinter sold ? Neverwinter is arguably one of the worst choice that could have been made for a good roleplaying game. Using your argument, we could say that no one before NWN1 could relate to neverwinter. And there is nothing appealing to it. The setting doesn't feel adventurous nor epic and has little "magic". Baldur's Gate, Amn have a really intringuing and interesting political side with all their factions. Sigil and Rashemen have this eerie, magical feeling where you feel like a stranger lost in an alternate dimension. Icewind Dale as a setting is pretty cool too, if IWD was not a crappy RTwP dungeon hack I would have loved it.

And yet, here we are, Bioware managed to sell so much of that Neverwinter shit. And Obsidian managed to sell NWN2 quite well.

3. The twisted ruleset

Point taken.

4. The main character

But that remote control is not that powerful and you have complete control over your destiny and your actions. When you find out what happens, you can either choose forgiveness or bring doom to your opponents.

5. The artwork

I still have the Planescape Torment poster on my wall. I still feel a lot for that awesome design.

6. No hype.

I bought PST only because of my familiarity with infinity engine games. I was retarded enough back then to think that Baldur's Gate 1 was a good game and was a sucker for anything that could be related to this kind of game I had discovered. I think PST had its chance to make it in part because of that. Also, one of Bioware games featured a video about PST in the end of the installation process. I think Bioware hype machine did help a little here.

Lesson learned: Both games were superb hardcore gamer's dreams. But as MCA once stated: It was too much in one game.

Well, fuck that shit. Too much in one game ? Bioware said the same about Baldur's Gate 2. If they don't move their ass to do big fucking great games again i'm not gonna buy anything, I tell ya. I was kinda irritated already by the thought that playing MoTB required that fucking piece of shit of NWN2.

I think both games coud've been much more successfull if they reduced the "originality" factor just one bit: I think a MotB in a more known region of the FR would've been more "accessible" and better business for Obsidian.

It would have made it a lot less interesting than it is right now and not only it wouldn't appeal to a larger group (because the combat and all the gameplay mechanics really sucked), it would turn off even more of the people who are into great RPGs.

More hype by Obsidian and Atari coud've worked too.

Polishing their games more would have worked so much more than just adding more hype to the equation. MoTB and PST didn't appeal to a larger population because the gameplay sucks balls. The combat in both PST and MoTB are quite annoying. PST was ok for the average roleplayer because it didn't feature much of it but there was combat everywhere in MoTB and if they made it more tactical, if they fixed that fucking shitty NWN2 camera system even more and not just added lot of hitpoints to the enemies, it would have been decent. I recently tried to play community made NWN1 mods again and even NWN1 camera was better than the camera in NWN2, seriously, no contest, a lot less micro management. I am sick of moving the camera all the time when I am in a fight.

fastpunk

Arbiter

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Lestat said:
I recall hearing that MotB has been selling quite well, for an expansion.

Link, please.

Lestat is right. Look through Rob McGinnis' NWN2 blogs on Obsidian's site, I think that's where he mentioned that Obsidz was quite pleased with MotB's financial results.

edit: It's in this blog:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=2&showentry=106

It didn't sell 5000 copies in Germany. Heck even LOKI sold about 10.000.

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,636726/Di...7/?menu=browser&viewcnt=1&image_id=549122#top

Is that success for Obsidian? I am shocked :shock:

@DP: geh sterben!

EDIT: And before some dumbfuck says "Only full fleged games - no add-ons in the list" - They have the Guild Wars Add on in it.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Sir_Brennus said:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,636726/Di...7/?menu=browser&viewcnt=1&image_id=549122#top

Germany is a special market and I wouldn't be surprised if the result was different elsewhere though. Germany is a country of pussies where games either get butchered because of violence or even are not selling there at all. (Epic didn't want to modify Gears of War to please the germans, no GoW for germany for example)
MoTB is quite rough, can be very violent without being graphic.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
mjorkerina said:
Sir_Brennus said:

Germany is a special market and I wouldn't be surprised if the result was different elsewhere though. Germany is a country of pussies where games either get butchered because of violence or even are not selling there at all. (Epic didn't want to modify Gears of War to please the germans, no GoW for germany for example)
MoTB is quite rough, can be very violent without being graphic.

Yeah, that's the reason The Witcher sold 70.000 units.

Asstard.

Actually this is similar to a thread thats been on my ETA list for a while.

Thing is, PST shoul dhave sold around as much as BG. Why?

1) BG had its trailer.
2)It was the second game to use th ebrand spankin' new infinity engine
3)It came soon after BG

So why didn't it sell?

All I can say is that the reviews emphasizing the heavy dialogue fo the game must have been a turnoff. Also the trailer was weird for your average gamer. Lastly, people must have been burned out on BG.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sir_Brennus said:

You're comparing an expansion to a full game. Loki probably cost more to make than MotB, shocking as that may sound.

Besides, such numbers are rarely accurate, they're at best guesstimates, that goes for both NA and European countries. They also never include digital downloads, which is an important mode of selling for expansion packs.

The only ones who really know how well a game did are the game's publishers, and they often won't tell.

Black

Arcane
Duh. P:T > lots of dialogue.
MoTB > spirit meter which is impossible to understand.

Regular people, I mean dumbasses, can't handle this.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i clicked on a sunken city. once i arrived there i died. This game sucks. The chick is bald. I don't romance skinheads. Oh god, what's all this +1 to Attack shit I hate stats, why can't I have a dude with Cloud Sword, a Girl with Aerith magic, a girl with Tifa's boobs and boxing skills, and a talking tiger that can summon a meteor like Red XIII?

my god. how many fucking paragraphs does this goddamn fruit seller on street have to spew out? ffs. if i can't die, what's stopping me from killing everyone *kills everyone at random* wtf i got mazed. Fucking GAY!! ARGHHH!!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, Torment sold enough to make a decent profit, but not nearly as much as other similiar games released around the same time.

But either way, if there's a reason why it didn't sell more, I'd say that it has to do with the timing of the game's release. If your game's release coincides with the release of several other highly hyped games, then your game is going to overshadowed. IMO.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It didn't sell 5000 copies in Germany."

No offense to germany, but a game's success or failure in germany is rather irrelevant to a game's success. That's usually dependent on either American and/or Japanese success depending on the game. Duh.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"It didn't sell 5000 copies in Germany."

No offense to germany, but a game's success or failure in germany is rather irrelevant to a game's success. That's usually dependent on either American and/or Japanese success depending on the game. Duh.

Why.Do.You.Always.Lie?

real Networks in 2006 said:
Germany is currently the biggest PC game market and is expected to continue that dominance.

http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2006/germany_games.html

BIU = German Interest group for Interactive Entertainment said:
Units sold of PCgames 2006: 24,3 Million

Total volume of games sold (PC and console) in 2007: 1.4 Billion Euros (= 2.2 Billion USD)

http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/1478272/biu_verkaufszahlen_2007.html

Binary

Liturgist
Brave Diplomat said:
Thing is, PST shoul dhave sold around as much as BG. Why?

1) BG had its trailer.

To be honest, the trailer of PS:T on the BG CDs didn't do much for it. I've seen it recently and it's just a grouping of small animations and zoom ins on characters. Tells you nothing about the game and therefore gives the BG player no real reason to want to buy the game. Compare with the Descent 3 video on the TotsC CD

Volourn said:

As far as I remember, Germany is the gaming country in Europe, and can most often be representative of Europe sales. May I remind you that the European market for games is most likely bigger than the American? (I do not know for sure btw, just supposing)

I think the lack of success of PS:T comes from two reasons. First, who remembers anything about PS:T before it came out? BG was all about "leading a party of adventurers to find your destiny" blah blah. Very nice for selling. And PS:T? I don't remember, but I'm guessing it was about "leading a dead guy into a dark world searching for his memory" ... sorry that doesn't sell.

Second the setting itself is not the best to attract the masses. Too dark, hero is an ugly scarred guy who is/was kinda dead...

There are of course other reasons but let's not talk about them here and now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom