Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It just bugs me *arcanum spoilers*

deuxhero

Arcane
Why is Virgils brother buried in caladon (halfway acrossed the world) if he was killed in Tyrant ?

what? his hometown is caladon.. he just did all his dirty business in Tarant *i think*

edit: would anyone here play a post-apoc arcanum mod?

SPOILERS**

Hows this sound -

Your PC from Arcanum: oSWaMO ended the game like this. He took Kree, Gorgoth, Arronax, and that other guy and went to fight Kerghan. The portal managed to open Kerghan, Kree, and Gorgoth, and other guy get away, but Arronax and PC along with his NPC followers all die as The Void is torn to smithereens because of the outrageous amount of magick. Kerghan returns to find Caladon, Tarant, Cumbria, the elves, the dwarves, all warring and easily crushes them. Arcanum society as we know it is destroyed. 85% of the population of the world is killed. He is greatly weakened however, because Nasrudin comes to the main land and delivers all his magick in one blow but uses so much fatigue that he dies. Kerghan (who has lost his mortal body and is now a corporeal spirit) builds a huge fortress in the Western continent (where roseborough is) and takes control of the area. Tarant is now inhabited by barbaric Orcs tribes, as is most of Morbihan. However, kree returns to kree (by the way, what is his actual name, i've forgotten) and bands all the human barbarians together and manages to hold his own and make a good enough city for his people. the elves are as reclusive as ever, not being spotted in anywhere but their respective home towns. the small amount of dwarves that are still alive retreat into the mountains. the bedokaan, im not sure what to do with them yet. either they have joined Kerghan, or they are completely extinct.

heres how i am going to eliminate 95% of the problems i would face normally. Every single NPC from vanilla arcanum who had a name is dead. No what if i killed Praetor, what if i helped the orcs, nothing. Everyone you knew is dead. that includes madam lil (not to worry lads, i will make a brothel elsewhere)

most of this is off the top of my head, seems a bit LOTR to me so it will probably change with time. also i realize some of the lore might not be right, (it's been a long time since i finished the game.) so correct me if anything is mistaken. suggestions are welcome.

suggestions for starting point/how to start the game? it's pretty hard in this setting to choose an area where all the races can start. also, kerghans allies, who are they? i'm thinking that coward from the void the half dragon. that's gorgoth right, or is he that other guy?

/mini rant

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's awesome. But finish your other Arcanum mod first, if it isn't done yet.
I could come up with suggestions later.

JarlFrank said:
But finish your other Arcanum mod first, if it isn't done yet.
I could come up with suggestions later.

Actually, I think I could release a beta this week. I'm done all the backgrounds, as well as the mapping for Tarant. I just need to finish the quests, and tie up some loose ends.

Kavax

Scholar
Shota Shernokavich said:
suggestions for starting point/how to start the game? it's pretty hard in this setting to choose an area where all the races can start. also, kerghans allies, who are they? i'm thinking that coward from the void the half dragon. that's gorgoth right, or is he that other guy?
/mini rant

[Fallout]What about a secret underground safehouse that contains people of all the races? (Except Orcs, Ogres and Bedokaans) it could be run by whatever is left of Tulla's mages.[/Fallout]

Quilty

Magister
I would definitely be interested in a post-apoc mod. Also, I hope to try out the one you're finishing now, because we all know Arcanum deserves good mods. Good luck!

crakkie said:

agreed.

do you suggest i make a different version for every possibility that the NPC made? one for people who took magnus, and virgil, and killed madam lil, one for people who took virgil, geoffrey, and killed the bedokaan, etc.. it could go on forever. I want to make something that is compatible to everyone who played the original and make sure that it fits with whatever decision they made (discounting what they did in The Void of course.)
[Fallout]What about a secret underground safehouse that contains people of all the races? (Except Orcs, Ogres and Bedokaans) it could be run by whatever is left of Tulla's mages.[/Fallout]

that actually seems plausible.

rroyo

Novice
One thing you might keep in mind is the random encounters are easiest around Shrouded Hills, then get progressively harder the further away you get.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Shota Shernokavich said:
crakkie said:

Just call it the Brotherhood of Steam

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MF said:
Shota Shernokavich said:
crakkie said:

That would be beyond awesome.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
MF said:
Shota Shernokavich said:
crakkie said:

That would be beyond awesome.

QFT

crakkie

Arcane
Shota Shernokavich said:
do you suggest i make a different version for every possibility that the NPC made? one for people who took magnus, and virgil, and killed madam lil, one for people who took virgil, geoffrey, and killed the bedokaan, etc.. it could go on forever. I want to make something that is compatible to everyone who played the original and make sure that it fits with whatever decision they made (discounting what they did in The Void of course.)
Well obviously you could have killed any character in the game, so "something that is compatible to everyone who played the original and make sure that it fits with whatever decision they made" is pretty hopeless and impossible. Your alternative is equally extreme and lazy.

Pick some non-principal characters (e.g., Doc Roberts, Sarah Toone, etc.), make some assumptions as their experience with the character in the original, and extend their personalities in this new setting. Through these returning characters you can familiarize players with the new state of the world and lend some sense of familiarity and continuity with what has happened. Virgil, Magnus, and most joinable NPCs would be too tricky to work back in or make them seem consistent, so either kill them off or come up with some more creative ways to make them inaccessible (brain injury, enslavement, struck dumb by tragedy, turned feral/barbaric).

hmm i'll see. I might put some old NPC's in the beginning chamber.

I'm nearly finished putting together the beta for Arcanum: TDS. It's gonna include the new spells, backgrounds, loading screen, and half of the new district in Tarant. Other spots like cattan still aren't visitable, and won't be until a later release. none of the new quests are included yet, as to prevent confusion/spoilers. This is mainly an interface/mapping beta.

to prevent what is probably an inevitable question, i will answer now. yes the final release will include drogs patch
Just a question, what is an acceptable download size for the beta? im down to 200mb so far, and still have quite some sizing down to do. What is the maximum size that you will download?

Archaeon

Scholar
hmmm... It's just.... too much fucking magic in this mod. Can't you make some scientific societies or something?

divine storm or post apoc?

edit: ok it's all set to go. I just need to finish writing up the readme, and will be releasing it tomorrow.

My awesome readme said:
Arcanum: The Divine Storm
Beta 0.1 Release Candidate 1
By Shota Shernokavich

This mod is still a work in progress, so it is not yet complete. This version of the mod is Beta, so any criticisms or comments are welcome. Included are new backgrounds, new spells,
a new loading screen, an entirely new district in Tarant, as well as a bunch of other things. I'll be explaining most of it here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents:

1. New Backgrounds
2. New Spells
3. The New District
4. Misc.
5. How To Install
6. Next Release
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. New Backgrounds

This mod includes 6 new character backgrounds, along with 1 that is still incomplete. Here they are:

Anarchist

Masochist

Sadist

Proffesional Fencer

Elven/Human/Dwarven/Gnome/Halfling Supremacist - The stats for these are not implemented yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Praetor Loyalist

Chauvinist - Stats not implemented yet, will be in next release.

****To be included in next release:

- Gambling Drunkard (high constitution because of all the drinking, as well as gambling skill, but -4 int because of the memory loss)

- Smuggler (high thieving skills such as prowling, low charisma and such. will start the game with a bunch of cool wares)

And much more. Ideas for new backgrounds are always welcome.
2. New Spells

*-Summoning College-*

The first 3 spells have been changed. They now go in this order, from 1st to 3rd. Shiverbit, Death Lantern, and Yeti. These aren't final, and will probably be changed since
they don't make that much sense anyways.

*-Restored Spells-*

Originally, Troika wanted to have 8 spells for each spell college. Time restrictions forced them to cut down the number to 5. However, some of excess spells they made remain on the
final release of Arcanum. I have restored some of these, replacing other spells.

Fire College : Agility of Fire removed for Repel Flames. Gives you 50 Fire Resistance.
Dark Necromantic : Harm removed for Dark Toxins. Poisons the target creature.
Divination : See Contents removed for Reveal Traps. Stops you from moving right before walking on to a trap.
3. The New Tarant District

In this Beta, the game starts at the train station in Tarant. South of the PC is the road that leads to the new district. This version of the mod is sort of old, and doesn't have some new
things (such as quests, shopkeepers, etc..) and also, the new Cattanese areas are not available. They will be in the next version.

The new area is pretty big, and is still not done. The final version will probably have it 3 times as big as the current area. Also most of the new district is still not townmapped, so make sure
you stay on the roads. There is a farm to the very west, which is where the current area ends.
4. Misc.

New Loading Screen: The new loading screen shows up every fourth time you open up the game. It was done using some old Arcanum fan art from the T-A gallery, as well as MS Paint
to add in the words. Suggestions for loading screens would be nice.

The starting barter now sells some more things, mostly stuff that I thought should be there, but wasn't, like big clothes and such.
Heres the list of new stuff I put:
- Large Heavy Wool Clothes
- Large Wool Jacket
- Priest Robes
- Small Priest Robes
- Leather Gloves
Suggestions for other things to add, are like usual, greatly appreciated.

Random spelling and grammar errors are being fixed. For example instead of "Necromantic black" it is "Necromantic Black". I've also started fixing mistakes in dialogue.
5. Installation

[Warning] The first time you try and open Arcanum after installing this mod, it will take 2-3 minutes for the loading screen to finish. The is because it has to load all the new
information being added to the game.
[Warning] This mod is only compatible with Arcanum 1074. It will not install on an older version, and it will not work if you have other mods installed on the arcanum directory.

[How To Install] There are 2 folders in the zip file. Arcanum5.dat and Arcanum.patch1.
Arcanum5.dat goes to your sierra->arcanum folder.
Arcanum.patch1 goes to your sierra->arcanum->modules folder.
Now just open up Arcanum and start a new game.

Questions, Comments, Suggestions, Criticisms, and anything else go to shotsmods@gmail.com
I might also be available on www.Terra-Arcanum.com or www.RPGCodex.net under the user name Shota Shernokavich.
6. Next Release - What Is To Be Expected
It will be some time until this version is released, probably late May/early June.

Arcanum: The Divine Storm - Beta 0.1 Release Candidate 2

- A portal that leads to some of the new Cattanese areas. This portal will not be available in the final release, as boats to Cattan will be available. It is only a Beta tool.
- Several more new backgrounds
- More Spell Changes
- Hopefully, some technology changes
- Maybe some of Drog's fixes, if I can implement them, and if he gives me permission
- Some quests implemented
- Shopkeepers in the new district implemented
- A couple of new dungeons in the wilderness
- Other misc. stuff

Enjoy! :)

3 things.
First, sorry for being 3 days late, i went on a 2 day drinking binge with my friends. (anyone else feel like hugging people after the 5th shot of vodka?)

second, i need someone to help me write a threatening disclaimer

third, is the amount of content in this beta too skimpy? should i add a bit more before releasing it?

Kavax

Scholar
About the drunken gambler background: Gambling is based on intelligence, and you get a bonus to gambling, but also a penalty to intelligence. How does that work out?

Kavax said:
About the drunken gambler background: Gambling is based on intelligence, and you get a bonus to gambling, but also a penalty to intelligence. How does that work out?

crap. didn't know/notice that. hmm i'll find some other stat to decrease

edit: i've got it. i'll make -1 strength and - to prowling (can't walk straight)

edit 2:
ok guys the project has changed direction a bit. Instead of an aimless revision, I'm going to make a prequel that was i was discussing on T-A a while back. The story is set in 1875 - 10 years before the original. arbalah and his family are still alive, as is bessie toone. the mine in shrouded hills still has workers, and silver, and everything. Virgil is still a bandit in caladon. most of the main quest-line has to do with a civil war in cattan, and ends just as the LFS Zephyr is taking off from Caladon.

forget i ever said this. don't know what i was thinking. it's a revision not a prequal.

Kavax

Scholar
About the supremacist backgrounds, maybe you can make it a bonus to intelligence (Because of all the years you spent making arguments about why your race is superior to the others) and a penalty to reaction (You are disliked by a lot of people) and charisma (Not many people want to follow someone that thinks he's inferio)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom