Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Restoration Projects

RainSong

Scholar
I thought that it would be not a bad idea to gather in one place links/opinions/informations on restoration projects that are being made/are done to all the worthy rpgs. This way when someone will want to play his favorite game all the needed stuff will be in known place.

Lets start with the easy one:

Arcanum - 'Unofficial Arcanum Patch' made by Drog Black Tooth. It's more a path then a restoration mod but still there is some content restored and it's definitely worth downloading before starting Arcanum. Hopefully still work in progress.Can be found here.

VtM:B - there are two main projects 'True' and Unofficial made by Wesp. I tried only the first one and if I recall correctly there were still some bugs in the game (I played VtM:B only once some time ago, but it's a great game and I think I'll return to it in near future). I guess I heard about some drama between this two but I didn't read into it so I would appreciate if someone would give some good insight opinion on this two. What are the differences between them. Which one is better? Restore more content/is more bugfree?

KotOR 2 - I guess everybody heard about this Restoration Project made by Team Gizka. It is supposed to be the best thing since inventing internet drama and restore a lot of cut out content. Unfortunately it is still work in progress and its final release is predicted around 2150 so we'll be all long dead by then, but if someone don't want to wait he can catch its beta version at pirates bay or some other torrent site.

I've heard that there are some restoration projects for PS:T and Fallout's but I don't know anything about them. Could someone give some info on them/ links to the projects sites?

Oh theres also the official Enhanced Edition coming soon from CD Projekt for their The Witcher.

And what about other rpgs like Baldurs games? Sry if I forgot about any worthy rpgs, be sure to mention them and give some info on their restoration projects. If there is some mod that doesn't restore cut out content for any of this great rpgs but still is a great and worthy addition to the game then please mention them.

coaster

Liturgist
Baldur's Gate bugfixes The original Baldurdash patch for Baldur's Gate 1. Not required if you are playing BG1 via the BG2 engine in Easytutu as Easytutu incorporates the Baldurdash fixes.

Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business Some restored content, pretty well done & fits well with the original game. Compatible with Easytutu & BG Trilogy. Some minor bugs remaining to be squashed. Watch for compatibility with the BG1 NPC Project mod, as some components overlap.

Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack (replaces Baldurdash version) More comprehensive version of the original Baldurdash patch for BG2, fixes many more bugs and packaged via the easy-to-use Weidu program. Quite strict in trying to adhere to "developer intent", to the extent of contacting David Gaider about the authenticity of certain fixes.

Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business As above for BG1, pretty good quality work in terms of restored content which fits quite nicely with the original game. Watch out for the Kidnapping of Boo component though - still quite buggy and I usually don't install it.

Icewind Dale Tweak Pack (contains some bug fixes) A combined package which fixes many bugs in the original game and also allows for certain tweaks to be installed (changing the number of stacked items which can be held in the inventory, etc)

Icewind Dale Unfinished Business Fairly modest restored content for IWD. Some input from JE Sawyer.

Edited to add some commentary on the different mods.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Is there a graphical overhaul mod for Bloodlines in the works?

Truth

Scholar
Good list in this thread. That pretty covers all of them though doesn't it?

Also, I'm still waiting on that Codex uber-interview with restoration mod authors...

Too lazy to post links right now, but if you head to the gamefaqs board for Deus Ex there's still a surprisingly active modding community, including some projects that have been tottering on for so long that they make TSR look like efficient young-uns. I'd call vapourware on them, except that they've got some pretty recent updates, have released some assets and have a community that keeps a good tab on them. Not sure if I'd call them restoration mods though, but they are certainly complementary to the gaming experience. The basics include stuff like graphical updates, high-quality textures and sounds, but there also mods that rebalance things, expand on the skills and augs and there are a couple of game-size prequel/sequel stuff that fans have been making. Again, don't hold out too much hope - they are probably too ambitious to be taken seriously, and they've been around for fricken ever

RainSong

Scholar
Well it depends. Like I said in first post, if the mods aren't restoration projects but are a worthy add-on to the game (and by this I mean that they are on a level you can't distinguish their content from the original game if playing it for the first time, and of course they don't overwrite anything from the orginal game) then they can be mentioned here, but it should be pointed out by whoever posted them that they aren't restoration projects.

This way if someone will want to play one of mentioned games, he will have all the needed files to have the best possible experience in one place.

spiwak

Novice
I don't know how much longer this thread can get but if you can edit the OP you should add the links everyone provided to it. Probably won't be necessary as this thread is still only at one page, but still...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RainSong said:
This way if someone will want to play one of mentioned games, he will have all the needed files to have the best possible experience in one place.

NMA has a string of stickied fan-patches and mods

Fallout 1
Fallout 1 Children Patch
Fallout Patch 1.3.3 ENG TeamX
Fallout1 Resolution Patch v1.0
Fallout NPC Mod v3.3 English version
Fallout Update Mod v1.2.5 english version
Timeslip Fallout engine tweaks for Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Fallout 2
Fallout 2 Childrens Patch
Fallout2 Resolution Patch v1.2
Killap's Unofficial Fallout 2 Patch (US/UK - installer)
Fallout 2 Restoration Project Installer Version
MIB88 MegaMod 2.33
Timeslip Fallout 2 engine tweaks for Windows 2000/XP/Vista

MegaMod is exclusive to RP (they can't both be installed), and it should be noted the RP already includes everything other than the MegaMod, and the MM includes everything else (not all of the RP, tho').

So for the Fallout 1 files, you need to combine all those files yourself - they run together fine as far as I know (the TeamX files do, not sure about Timeslip's tweaks or Mash's resolution patch).
For Fallout 2, you'd normally install either the Restoration Project (to play Fallout 2 "as it should have been") or MIB88 MegaMod, to add an enormous shitton of extra content.

Those are all of NMA's "official recommendations", all of 'em significantly improve gameplay quality.

Wesp5

Arcane
RainSong said:
VtM:B - there are two main projects 'True' and Unofficial made by Wesp. I tried only the first one and if I recall correctly there were still some bugs in the game (I played VtM:B only once some time ago, but it's a great game and I think I'll return to it in near future). I guess I heard about some drama between this two but I didn't read into it so I would appreciate if someone would give some good insight opinion on this two. What are the differences between them. Which one is better? Restore more content/is more bugfree?

I think I can shed some lights on these issues, being the guy behind the unofficial patches :). First about the drama. It all started when people complained that I wasn't staying true enough to the original game in some of my changes which was fair enough as my understanding of an unofficial patch always included content restoration and gameplay tweaking. So one of those people took my patch and removed all changes he didn't like without asking for my permission or giving proper credit. Contrary to the Arcanum situation he admitted that right on and anyone could see it. Of course I didn't like that, but still I almost got him to work with me together if he would correct these issues. The main problem though was that Tessera, which should be well known here, was promoting this "true patch" as his own project while not doing anything constructive for it besides some very "untrue" textures while bashing my own patch thus stopping any kind of cooperation with his constant flaming.

This went on until the other guy started from scratch to avoid complaints about ripping my work off which of course resulted in a patch with much less fixes than my own. Also although he started from scratch it was very obvious that in several cases he still "accidentally" chose the same restorations, not logical fixes, that I had done so he still took from my work without giving credit. By that time I was fed up enough of the whole drama and created an own version of my patch that stays closer to the original game and called it "basic" compared to the former now "plus" unofficial patch. This one contains much more fixes than the "true" patch while sticking almost as close to the game so when the guy actually doing the "true" patch noticed how much time it would cost to catch up with the several years of fixing that my patch was ahead and Tessera got himself banned from most of the Bloodlines websites the "true" patch was discontinued.

So as a result I would recommend the "basic" unofficial patch if you want to stay close to the original game with all the bug fixes and only restored content which has graphical but no gameplay impact and the full "plus" unofficial patch for all content restoration as listed below from the patch readme:

Restored Content:
-----------------
Summary of restored stuff in basic and plus patches, besides over
hundred restored dialogue lines and a lot of text (+: plus only).

+ New Blood Heal discipline (for all clans).
+ SWAT sniper rifle (from Mercurio and Bach).
+ Yukie appearing in the first Temple endgame map.
+ Romero returning to the cemetery after his quest.
+ Chewing gum sellable to Copper (found on the pier).
+ Pull toy for Gary's quest (in Red Spot storage area).
+ Occult Charisma powerup (gained as a gift from Isaac).
+ Occult Obfuscate powerup (found in the Nosferatu haven).
+ Occult Security powerup (obtained as reward from Mr. Ox).
+ Occult Perception powerup (received during Mitnick's quest).
- Reliefs at Fu Syndicate.
- Boat model near the Dane.
- Twenty malkavian whispers.
- Howitzer at Leopold Society.
- Three cut newspaper articles.
- Erotic situation in Chinatown.
- Bertram's and Venus' computers.
- Ancient text at Leopold Society.
- About a hundred idle expressions.
- Cash box item at the Gallery Noir.
- Helicopter model at the Blood Hunt.
- Screenplay and dodge II book models.
- Name plate model at the Kamikaze Zen.
- Two dogs at the Santa Monica junkyard.
- Dane report and vacuum tube box models.
- High and low grade Computer book models.
- Five vendor icons and five context icons.
- Male guard models at the Giovanni mansion.
- Colt Anaconda and Desert Eagle ammo models.
- Throwing star item at the Red Dragon office.
- Male security guard at the Empire Arms Hotel.
- About fifty sound effects and Daniel Ash song.
- Raver model with conversation at the warehouse.
- Rat crowd in warrens and cat outside King's Way.
- Female LaSombra enemies at the Hallowbrook Hotel.
- Library card at museum and grenade prop at netcafe.
- Shin Gunto available to player from several enemies.
- Pyro Crossbow available to player at Leopold Society.
- Histories mode offering seven histories for each clan.
- Female raver models and cage dancers at club Confession.
- Multiplayer mode including special MP clans with equipment.

Just for anyone interested the stuff in there that I couldn't restore:

Unrestored Content:
-------------------
Features and stuff found referenced in the game files that are
not implemented or too far from being finished to be restored.

- Athletics, Animal Ken, Occult (Abilities found in stats.txt)
- Blood Buff-Dexterity, -Stamina, -Strength (Disciplines " )
- Dual pistols (inventory icon found)
- Stake launcher (inventory icon found)
- LAW rocket launcher (inventory icon found)
- Dragon's breath (inventory icon and text found)
- Throwing Star as weapon (item file and models found)
- Fragmentation Grenade as weapon (item file and models found)
- First person view melee weapon hands (model found)
- First person view discipline casting hand (model found)
- Riot gear armor (stats found in traitseffects.txt)
- Flak Jacket armor (stats found in traitseffects.txt)
- Rookie cop model (cop model with messed up younger face)
- Doppelganger model (Sabbat thug with strange rainbow shirt)

Ander Vinz

Scholar
So one of those people took my patch and removed all changes he didn't like without asking for my permission or giving proper credit. Contrary to the Arcanum situation he admitted that right on and anyone could see it.
So, you're saying that Drog did steal someone's work. Interesting.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Say Wesp5, I've been waiting for a bloodlines replay untill you finished your whole restoration project. You reckon you're pretty much done now or are there more big fixes coming up?

Oh, and did you remove the enemy respwans in areas like the sewers? I believe there was some discussion over.

You're just baiting.

Wesp5

Arcane
Trash said:
Say Wesp5, I've been waiting for a bloodlines replay untill you finished your whole restoration project. You reckon you're pretty much done now or are there more big fixes coming up?

The upcoming 5.5 has some minor fixes but nothing most people would ever notice and 5.4 seems to be very stable with no new bugs introduced by myself ;), so it seems that indeed I'm pretty much done unless someone comes up with ways to restore the things I can't which I listed above. I suspect most of these are impossible to do though...

Oh, and did you remove the enemy respwans in areas like the sewers? I believe there was some discussion over.

I think I removed all unreasonable respawning there already...

You're just baiting.

Yeah, I hope so. I followed the drama around the Arcanum patch only superficially and just wanted to say that the facts were clear from the start in the Bloodlines drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom