Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale II

Saxon1974

Prophet
Im a bit all over the place playing old RPG's so this week its Bard's Tale II. For some reason I just felt like playing it.

I got killed in the starter dungeon and Im wondering if I insert my character disk will it save my characters as dead permanently to disk?

This game wipes out all your gold if you turn off the game without saving at the Inn, so not sure about this...

Death.png

Saxon1974

Prophet
I finished the starter dungeon in the game and rescued the princess....

And wanna know what she looks like?

SPOILER in case your gonna play the game...scroll down to see

Here she is

princess.jpg

This was one of my favorite RPG's as a kid, I remember playing it almost an entire summer.

Having a good time with my recent playthough, but since Im older I think I am more able to criticize things I dont like.

One thing is magic seems way over powered, once you get mass kill spells 99% of enemies are killed by your mages, your fighters are just punching bags really..

That being said, I still enjoy the game quite a bit.

Here are a couple of screens for the fun of it.

sagehut.jpg

thesage.jpg

Saxon1974

Prophet
I guess its true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Here's a couple more screens...

It says this is a black giant, but its odd that its not black.

blackgiants.jpg

A city wall in the wilderness.

wilderness.jpg

The Kings Mage.

kingsmage.jpg

A magic mouth.

magicmouth.jpg

A skeleman must be some relative of a skeleton. I thought it might be a typo until it hit me for like 30 hit points.

skeleman.jpg

Saxon1974

Prophet
I just realized the version of Bards Tale II for the C64 I have has a trap bug. None of the traps in the game affect your party at all.

Its a crack version done by Scratch\Traingle and its the only version I can seem to find on the net.

Does anyone know where I might find a different version of the game for the C64?

Thought I would post it here, since this site has lots of knowledgable people.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I played the hell out of Bard's Tale II when I was younger, but I never beat it.

My party could kick the crap out of any enemy in the game, but those damn puzzles in the dungeons were so frickin' unintuitive that I never got past them.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Saxon1974 said:
I just realized the version of Bards Tale II for the C64 I have has a trap bug. None of the traps in the game affect your party at all.

Its a crack version done by Scratch\Traingle and its the only version I can seem to find on the net.

Does anyone know where I might find a different version of the game for the C64?

This french site have several different versions of a bunch of C64 games and also for other old systems/consoles.

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=576

Saxon1974

Prophet
Atomic said:
Saxon1974 said:

This french site have several different versions of a bunch of C64 games and also for other old systems/consoles.

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=576

Thanks Atomic, the 2 versions there I have already tried. Oh well, I am playing the game on the Apple IIGS now since I can't find a working C64 version. I actually think the emulation might be the issue, but I tried both vice and CCS64 and neither one worked.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Went back to play this again since its one of my all time favorites. I never did find a version for the C64 that the traps work properly.

Any chance anyone out there still has a working C64 with the game discs that could verify the traps work normally?

Whats weird is I even tried an Apple II emulator and traps didnt work on that one either. I cant believe the original game shipped like that though.

Really wish I could get this version fully working, I tried Vice and CCS64 and Winapple and in all those versions traps dont do anything at all. I think the Apple II and C64 were built on some of the same technology so maybe thats why this happens.

All other versions, DOS, AMIGA, APPLEIIGS work fine on an emulator.

This is the version that holds the fond memories for me of summer nights staying up all night back in 1986 when this game was new, so really hope somehow I can find a way to ge the traps to work.

Anyone an expert in c64 emulation with any ideas?

DaveO

Erudite
I guess that means you gave up on Might and Magic. Attention Deficit Disorder must apply.
:smug:

Saxon1974

Prophet
DaveO said:
I guess that means you gave up on Might and Magic. Attention Deficit Disorder must apply.
:smug:

If your talking to me, I have serious ADD.

I usually start a game series intending to play through it and get halfway through the first game.

I did finish Pool of Radiance recently and got half way through the Curse of the Azure Bonds. Oh yea and I finished Eye of the BEholder I.

Im currently playing Might & Magic VI. If I finish then VII and VIII.

Luzur

Good Sir
I played the hell out of Bard's Tale II when I was younger, but I never beat it.

the same as me then, i gave up several times at some of those riddles.

Any chance anyone out there still has a working C64 with the game discs that could verify the traps work normally?

i got 4-5 of them still working + both tape and disc versions of the game, could try it out for ya this weekend, but from what i remember traps worked.

also, tried these versions?
http://www.bardstaleonline.com/BT2/Downloads.asp

Saxon1974

Prophet
Blackadder said:
You are as bad as I am, always playing C64 versions. Currently enjoying Ultima V.

Oh man I have serious man love for the C128 version of Ultima V. Can't beat that game, its on my play list for this year.

If I didnt work full time and juggle a family I could probablly finish more of these series.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Luzur said:

the same as me then, i gave up several times at some of those riddles.

i got 4-5 of them still working + both tape and disc versions of the game, could try it out for ya this weekend, but from what i remember traps worked.

also, tried these versions?
http://www.bardstaleonline.com/BT2/Downloads.asp

Yep, I looked forever for different versions so Im pretty sure I tried those. If you can test this on a real C64 that would be awesome. There is some debate on the bards tale forum whether the game were actually released with this bug.

Check out the discussion board on this site if you have not been there before.

http://www.bardstale.de/

Luzur

Good Sir
well, i tried loading BT2 yesterday and the traps works fine on the Disc version and the tape version on level 3 of the starter dungeon, so i guess it must something about the emulation.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Luzur said:
well, i tried loading BT2 yesterday and the traps works fine on the Disc version and the tape version on level 3 of the starter dungeon, so i guess it must something about the emulation.

Ok thanks Luzur, yea I figure it was emulation somehow. Weird thing is I tried 2 or 3 different emulators.....CCS64, Vice and even an apple II emulator and traps didnt work on any of those.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
For example I can't find a working Might and Magic I Commodore64 version. Always the third diskside image is wrong :( I tried a lot of versions from the net but no success :(

Saxon1974

Prophet
theverybigslayer said:
For example I can't find a working Might and Magic I Commodore64 version. Always the third diskside image is wrong :( I tried a lot of versions from the net but no success :(

Hmm, pretty sure the ones I have work. Let me check and if so I can give them to you.....will do it later as I cant right now.

I had played this game long before and after reading this thread I just reminded the fun I had in playing this game. So I would like to play it again. Anyone has it's download link?? If yes then please post it here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom