Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the next zelda will be an interactive movie

larpingdude14

Scholar
computerandvideogames said:
An interesting patent has emerged for what appears to be Nintendo's next Zelda game, sparking concern (in our office anyway) that the famous adventure series is all about to go all "casual".

The patent, credited to Mario daddy Shigeru Miyamoto himself, describes an all-new hint system as well as a DVD-style scene selection option, for a dummy game called 'Legend of OO' (we wonder what that could be?!)

The three systems outlined by the patent (thanks to NeoGAF for translating the gibberish) seem to be the following:

* Main game: Play through the game from start to end as normal with an optional hint system. Veteran players can enjoy the challenge while less experienced players can get an occasional helping hand.

* Digest: The game shows important scenes in the game, both cut-scene and gameplay, in order (it basically plays itself). You have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing the 'scene' yourself with relevant equipment and powers. You can't save the game in this mode.

* Scenes: Play through any puzzle or 'scene' in the game with appropriate equipment and powers. A bit like a DVD movie's scene selection.

screenshot_209309.jpg

Miyamoto has already expressed the Zelda series' need to become more accessible to a broader group of players, stating that "lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=205631

Radisshu

Prophet
Yes, because Zelda is not at all popular right now.

EDIT: Should this really be in RPG Discussion?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Meh, haven't really given a shit about any Nintendo games in years now unless it's Mario. And this should be moved to General Gaming. Larpingdude, you fucking dumbass.

Radisshu

Prophet
The only Zelda game I've played a lot of is A Link to the Past, but I really like it. Mostly due to nostalgia, but it's a really good SNES adventure game too. And Wind Waker was pretty cool, even though the final boss fight was ridiculously easy.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Wait a goddamn minute... they're dumbing down action adventure games? Japafuckingnese action adventure games? Motherfucking Legend of Zelda?

I'm not sure this will end well.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. The Zelda series was one of the main reasons I still bought consoles. This is a joke.

And MM > the rest

Miyamoto has already expressed the Zelda series' need to become more accessible to a broader group of players

Twilight Princess wasn't easy enough? I mean....I don't think it's possible to die in that game....even if you try. It's like they were too lazy to make a Game Over screen, so they just cranked the difficulty down so much that no-one would notice.

And MM > the rest

Link's Awakening and the two Oracle games were pretty cool too.

Cassidy

Arcane
Steven Jackson Games already did that. In written books, and decades ago. What's the point of wasting development time with an engine, programming and all for something so simple that it can be perfectly done in a written media, like this?

Also

Blood Omen > Zelda

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The next (insert Nintendo franchise here) will suck, but brainwashed Nintendo latchkey kids will lap it up like starving pigs at a raw sewage trough, instilling their retard brood with sense that familiarity trumps quality and name brand recognition forgives any awfulness or mediocrity.

Seboss

Liturgist
Well... if the "veteran" mode has some challenge to it, I guess it's not such a bad idea.

This is not some hardcore niche franchise for masochistic nerds but a franchise as mainstream and casual as can be.
Saying Zelda sucks because it's too easy/user-friendly is the same as saying that modern cars sucks because of power steering and power door locks.

I like some challenge but actually I suck at video (action) games.
There are too many games out there I could not finish because of an insanely difficult boss or annoying jump puzzle (i.e pretty much every Metroid games in existence).
And I think I'm the persistent type. I guess most people would have given up far sooner than me.
Anyway, in numerous occasions, I wished the game had a "skip insanely difficult and nerve-breaking boss" button. After all, I already paid $60 for the game, why would I have to work for for hours and hours and risk an aneurism just to see the content of the product?

Am I a wuss? Well, maybe. But I'm convinced most consumers think exactly that way, and I'm sure that a game that allows the player to beat it regardless of his skills (especially an action-adventure game) is more appealing that a game that will lead him to near insanity and then collect dust for years to come, unfinished.

Now the tricky part might be to make it appealing to the hardcore gamer as well.

A user named cat

Only Zelda games the Blood Omen series trumps would be the pieces of shit on CDI.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
It sounds like the hints and "interactive movie" features can just be turned off by veteran players. Not a terrible idea, I guess, but the problem with features like these is that they can make developers lazy and let them get away with not balancing or fine tuning their game.

i.e. "I guess it doens't matter if this boss has a cheap attack or is not fun to fight since the player can just press fast forward to get past him". This is one of the problems with games that have a quick save and especially with Bioshock.

Can't say I care all that much. Given Nintendo's track record, they will probably just crap out a complete rehash and try to sell it to a new audience.

Seboss

Liturgist
The best we could hope for with such feature is that designers will stop shying away from some real challenge.
Prince of Persia anyone?

nomask7

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
I'm not sure this will end well.
It will end.

On the other hand, the only Zelda that can be taken seriously by a brain human is Zelda II.

Pastel said:
the next zelda will be an interactive movie
Only greatly inferior in every way except length to the vast majority of movies.
Possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom