Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is DA expansion worth playing?

Texas Red

Whiner
What an uninspired beginning. No cinematics, no conversations... youre thrown in to dungeon crawling from the start with some idiotically designed generic female warrior companion. Is this how the expansion will play from the beginning to the end?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If you liked O you will like A unless you are butthurt over not being a llowed to butthurt Zev anymore or rape Lel.

And, thjere is dialogue at the beginning of A so stop lying.

Project: Eternity
It's more of the same, but feels somehow cheaper than the original game. I did finish it and I did enjoy it (for what it was), but it felt disappointing.

The storyline came out of nowhere, and the companions were pretty damn forgettable. The shooter-with-some-RPGish-elements Mass Effect 2 (from the same developer no less) had MUCH better writing than this.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You must be trolling. Please read the entire thread including later posts in that same thread by me and will all be revealed.

Codex was hoodwinked as per usual.

The writing was equal to ME2 plus same company but different writers. It's what happens when you have a large company making multiple games.

hoochimama

Liturgist
I only played up to the point where the keep is cleared and you seem to have a bunch of new things to do(and then I decided I didn't want to play as an orlesian warden and redid the oc).

But I do agree the beginning was a bit off, jumping straight into combat, I would have had a previous "cinematic" sequence on the road with more npcs giving story exposition and dialog. The way it is now there's that VOed intro with the cave paintings, action passes to your char on the road with some girl and a couple of dialog responses later: darkspawn! Could have worked if it was an action game.

Since I didn't have a savegame I had to redo the OC, I would have really liked the option to just create a new char but through the initial dialog sequence get to choose whether it was a new orlesian warden or the old hero from the OC and get to pick what happened(who was made king/queen, who did you side with , what happened to your companions , similar to what kotor 2 did).

The orlesian warden thing should also be forced on any savegame warden that sacrificed himself in the end, or do they try to justify it with necromancy/blot majik?

Multi-headed Cow

They justify it with RETCON I gather.

Also, does the orlesian warden change anything in the expansion? Like stupid drunk dwarf should behave differently I would assume.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Allistair and Oghren treated me like a stranger, and some of the nobles' dialog lines were clearly meant for orlesians, requiring a persuade check, but again i barely got past the intro.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Freelance Henchman said:
It's more of the same, but feels somehow cheaper than the original game.
This. But mostly more of the bad aspects of DA:O without many of the virtues.

Combat is much easier. I changed to nightmare (after playing the OC on hard) and still there were only 2-3 barely challenging fights.
Very little fluff/meat to the dialogues.
Heavyhanded plot(devices).
Lots and lots of inconsistencies. Some really *facepalm*-worthy.
Bad puzzles.

But some interesting stories, companions and lore.

I wouldn't pay for Awakening (especially if it's really priced like a full game), but it is playable enough (if you don't have any interesting alternatives at hand).

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I got about as far as you did, probably less. Couldn't stomach it anymore and installed TW:EE instead. Just about anything's more fun than Awakening, really.

xemous

Arcane
damn i already bought the game

does it get epic like at the landsmeet in origins?

kris

Arcane
I like how in the begining you get to ask some guy were the bad guy is. Obviously since you walk in a one-way-tunnel there really is no need to ask.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom