Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HoMM 5 is a good game, FFS

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Apparently some people on this forum think otherwise.

Plane tickets, bitch!!!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why wouldnt it be? They took all HoMM3 castles and units and remade them in 3D. Seriously, almost no new units were made for 5, only heroes and artifacts. And spells, but those got mercilessly butchered in number...

Still campaigns suck donkey balls. They are incredibly boring somehow.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like HOMM5. Campaigns are fine in that they aren't as rage inducing as some in HOMM3, where you had to do everything exactly right and STILL rely on luck to win some scenarios.

In before the aspies who played HOMM3 a thousand times and know every trick known, and who chortle smugly as they say: "What? THAT mission? That's a doodle!"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
I like HOMM5. Campaigns are fine in that they aren't as rage inducing as some in HOMM3, where you had to do everything exactly right and STILL rely on luck to win some scenarios.
In regular HOMM3? not a chance. campaigns were laughably easy.

AB, on the other hand...

In before the aspies who played HOMM3 a thousand times and know every trick known, and who chortle smugly as they say: "What? THAT mission? That's a doodle!"
HOMM3 is probably my most played game after Civilization, so I guess I'm one of the aspies. Why so mean? :(

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah, it is.

Malakal said:
Seriously, almost no new units were made for 5

Really?

The only races that remained almost unchanged are castle (just soldiers and griffins switched places), necro (wights instead of death knights, skeleton archers) and tower (rakshas instead of nagas, but they are basically the same unit).

Dungeon got several new units (the only one ones that remained were minotaurs, but they are 3rd level units now, not 5th, and dragons), same with inferno (imps and devils remained the same, pit lords and demons are also in but they've been changed to the point that they are new units entirely). Fortress has been completely changed (from swamp town with swamp shit to dwarf town with dwarves). Stronghold and Rampart were also considerably changed.

Dagon

Scholar
I didn't like very much "original" Heroes V.
Tribes of the East on the other hand was great, at least in a hot seat mode.
I didn't bother to play campaigns remembering how boring they were, and how stupid the story was in HommV.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
In regular HOMM3? not a chance. campaigns were laughably easy.

AB, on the other hand...

HOMM3 is probably my most played game after Civilization, so I guess I'm one of the aspies. Why so mean? :(

I meant HOMM3 as a whole. I only had the compilations so that's how I remember the hard as fuck campaigns. They must have been from AB indeed.

Oh and I didn't mean people like you. It was more of a criticism of the types that ALWAYS seem to show up when someone mentions that a game was 'hard' for them, and they instantly try to refute that with claims how they know every strategy and are such experts and that despite playing the game 1000 times, it still should be OBVIOUS how to get past mission X on the first go etc. etc.

Chin up Comrade Sceptic! You can play anything a million times and never be called an aspie! :salute:

Achilles

Arcane
HOMM5 was indeed a good game and the Tribes of the East expansion was even better. As far as I know, most people here bitch about the art style and the story, not the game itself.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
a) HOMM gameplay formula is horribly flawed compared to the MOM/AOW type of fantasy TBS (there is after all, a reason why this series is so popular with girl gamers)

b) HOMM5 is literally just a 3d version of HOMM3 with slight tweaks. The transition to 3d did not benefit game play significantly however, in fact it actually made it worse.

It's a mediocre game if ever there was one. Those saying it is good have low standards.

kyrub

Augur
HOMM gameplay formula is horribly flawed compared to the MOM/AOW type of fantasy TBS

The contrary.

Everything about the HoMM 3 is sub-par and falls into popculture mediocrity (the viewy graphics, the music, the horribly eclectic universe) bar one thing: the game is extremely well balanced and 98% of the game features have a good use, solid conception from the gameplay view. I guess 3D0 made a run by the testers and they took anything useless out of the game.

Gameplay is simple, but is is polished and well-thought down to small elements. I wish I could say that about many other titles, including MoM.

oscar

Arcane
II was by far the prettiest. III tried to make units look more realistic and just ended up making them ugly. II also had some of (if not) the most grand and memorable music to grace a video game. The Necromancer opera :love:

Chuftie

Augur
oscar said:
II was by far the prettiest. III tried to make units look more realistic and just ended up making them ugly. II also had some of (if not) the most grand and memorable music to grace a video game. The Necromancer opera :love:

The opera option was pretty boss.
Links to getting the opera soundtrack perchance?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
kyrub said:
The contrary.

Everything about the HoMM 3 is sub-par and falls into popculture mediocrity (the viewy graphics, the music, the horribly eclectic universe) bar one thing: the game is extremely well balanced and 98% of the game features have a good use, solid conception from the gameplay view. I guess 3D0 made a run by the testers and they took anything useless out of the game.

Gameplay is simple, but is is polished and well-thought down to small elements. I wish I could say that about many other titles, including MoM.

Perhaps I did not express myself too well.

In terms of execution I wouldn't want to claim that MOM or even AOW is more balanced or polished than the early HOMM games. Early HOMM is pretty strong in terms of polishing and refining its formula.

But the games operate on two very different formulas.

HOMM: Each unit represents a virtually unlimited number of men, leading to extreme possibility to concentrate power in one stack, as you could have 5000 peasants, 1000 hydras and 200 dragons in one stack.

AOW/MOM:
Strict stacking limits with each unit representing either an individual or small squad of fixed numbers. So the amount of power you can concentrate in one stack is significantly more limited.

In HOMM I found that all too often there was only one significant battle in an entire campaign map. Specifically, the battle where my stack of doom smashed the enemy's most powerful stack. The rest of the map was mostly me grinding against independent stacks to gain experience and resources and build up my stack.

Whereas in the AOW/MOM formula, there is at least in theory an emphasis on creating multiple stacks which often must operate independently and an emphasis on multiple interesting battles between two powers before one side's fate is sealed. Poor balance can mean that this formula doesn't always work out (for example due to overpowered heroes), but it is more rewarding when properly executed.

oscar

Arcane
I also thought the Roland-Archibald succession war was the neatest plot.

I had quite a bit of fun with HoMM5. For a modern game I found it had a lot of playing time which is not common these days. I didn't mind the visuals either.

I wouldn't call any area of it dramatically flawed, although it certainly wasn't perfect. One of my biggest annoyances was the way you could only have a few - or at least it would only benefit having a few - heroes at a time, which meant that compared to a game like AoW2 it became a real drawn out chore of exploring the map and pursuing enemies etc. I much prefer the AoW2 (can't remember if AoW1 could split groups?) way of doing things where you just make as many parties as you want, leaving you with much more things to do and consider in each turn. That was a genuine method of breaking down one of the weaknesses of turn based games (and even though AoW maps lasted even longer, they were more fun for the duration).

The AI is incredibly irritating in the game as well. It is obviously the kind of game where the AI can calculate success easily (sometimes anyway) right down to the number, so it would calculate distances between you and enemy parties so that it could take advantages of gaps and distances to start really annoying turn based pursuits or try attacking a town (which it would almost always know if it could win, leaving them completely inactive if they couldn't) and then when you spend 5 turns running back, suddenly they run off again and you are standing there doing fuck all and the game just draws out longer and FFFFUUUUUUU

I get that that is technically a "good" AI but there is nothing fun or interesting about it, and a high quality AI would put more uncertainty and a wider variety of tactics into the situations.

HoMM was always caricatured fantasy to me - it puts all of the most cliche/common fantasy ideas and creatures all in one and then makes the colours explode on the screen and puts it to melodramatic (but quality) music and I can understand people not liking it, but I find it rather endearing.

I would prefer AoW games over HoMM almost every time, but I always find it quite easy to like TBS games like these. RPGs on the other hand I prefer real time.

Multi-headed Cow

1eyedking is a Skyway wannabe. The popamole new shit of Skyway, if you will.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Suicidal said:
Yeah, it is.

Malakal said:
Seriously, almost no new units were made for 5

Really?

The only races that remained almost unchanged are castle (just soldiers and griffins switched places), necro (wights instead of death knights, skeleton archers) and tower (rakshas instead of nagas, but they are basically the same unit).

Dungeon got several new units (the only one ones that remained were minotaurs, but they are 3rd level units now, not 5th, and dragons), same with inferno (imps and devils remained the same, pit lords and demons are also in but they've been changed to the point that they are new units entirely). Fortress has been completely changed (from swamp town with swamp shit to dwarf town with dwarves). Stronghold and Rampart were also considerably changed.

Those towns (dwarves, barbarians) were added in expansions, vanilla HoMMV is almost the same (dungeon is slightly different now with some new reimaged units). But what I really meant was most of units is simply remade with EXACT SAME abilities and skills. I was seriously shocked when I recognized good old units in the new game. Alas they cut a lot of stuff too (like many golem and dragon types etc etc).

This is why I wrote 'almost'.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Spellcaster said:
What about HoMM4? It was the only one I didn't played, am I losing anything special?

Its considered as the weakest part, and I mostly agree. But I did enjoy the hero building part of the game with sweet sweet rpg elements.

HoMM4 has the best heroes but weakest units. Magic is decent.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
I meant HOMM3 as a whole. I only had the compilations so that's how I remember the hard as fuck campaigns. They must have been from AB indeed.
SOD was also hard, but AB was just ridiculous. I actually never finished the main AB campaign without cheating, had to artificially reduce the difficulty (it's locked on "impossible" for most of the campaign... and it really is!)

Oh and I didn't mean people like you.
I know, that was tongue-in-cheek ;)

Alexandros said:
HOMM5 was indeed a good game and the Tribes of the East expansion was even better. As far as I know, most people here bitch about the art style and the story, not the game itself.
Well the campaigns had a lot of retarded. The HOF and TotE ones fared better, but the original ones had some really annoying bits, including ones where you could break the game by actually winning fights the AI wants to you lose. One of the Ranger missions was like that: you're supposed to let the AI break through one of your garrisons, then defeat him. But if you place your hero AT the garrison, to get more units into the fight, he's piss easy to defeat... and the game becomes unwinnable due to broken scripts. This was after patching too. Annoying as fuck.

Spellcaster said:
What about HoMM4? It was the only one I didn't played, am I losing anything special?
Yes, gorgeous music.

oscar said:
I also thought the Roland-Archibald succession war was the neatest plot.
That and the RoE one are my favorites. The SW was neat because you could betray your current one. RoE had some fun stuff going on in it too, with the constantly shifting POV and even playing the necromancers. Too bad it was locked on the easiest difficulty, which made it way too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom