Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: W40K: Rites of War (Ultimate Victory)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
row0001.jpg

In today's episode of 'likely to be abandoned LPs of games you've never heard about', I bring you Rites of War.

Rites of War is, basically, a Panzer General clone set in Warhammer 40K. There is only one campaign, an Eldar one, but this is probably the only game where Eldar are manly men instead of a bunch of sissy faggots.

This is going to be an 'ironman' LP, that is, all units that go down - stay down. Game reload only in the (practically impossible for missions other than timed) event that we would lose a mission.

Watch the intro here, it should grow your balls by at least three times.

Also, while viewing the updates, make sure to listen to the soundtrack because it's pretty kick-ass. Can be found on jewtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWkpkcp6Pzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3prHgHo9 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCRNx6- ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0z4Mr2 ... re=related

The first tune playing in the first link is the main theme in the main menu.

Mission roster:
I - The Maiden World
II - The Drawing of Blood
III - A Howling of Lost Souls
IV - Storm Upon the Desert
V - Birds of Prey
VI - Walk Through Crystal Dreams
VIb - Walk Through Crystal Dreams 2.0
VII - Legacy of Armour
VIII - A Moment Too Soon
IX - Hot Gates
X - Foot in the Snare
XI - When the Walls Come Down
XII - Great Vengeance
XIII - Crystal Grove
XIV - To The Rescue
XV - The Old Giants
XVI - Witch Hunt
XVII - Stars in the Dark
XVIII - Walk the Silken Path
XIX - Brood City
XX - Avatar Ascending
XXI - Shadow of the Kraken
XXII - Desolation
XXIII - To Sleep Forever
XXIV - Eye of the Phoenix
XXIVb - Ultimate Victory

Hall of the Slain: Guardian squad (mission 3), Striking Scorpion squad (mission 8), Falcon grav tank (mission 9), Warp Spider squad, Striking Scorpion Exarch (mission 12), Great Harlequin, Librarian, Space Marine squad, Land Raider, Terminator squad, Jump Marine squad (mission 18), Dark Reaper Exarch (mission 19), Immolator, Wraithlord, Terminator assault squad (mission 20), Vypers, scatter laser (mission 21), Dire Avenger Exarch, Swooping Hawk Exarch, Farseer (mission 23), Swooping Hawk squad, Fire Prism, Terminator squad (mission 24) :salute:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission I: The Maiden World

row0002.jpg

First thing we do is choose a player name and banner (which doesn't mean shit)

row0003.jpg

After that, we read the briefing.

row0004.jpg

I hope you can read that. It might not have been the best idea to get blue text on the background of a blue farseer... It's easier on the eyes in the game itself because the briefings are voice-acted by Farseer Badass (the same one from the intro)

row0005.jpg

And our objectives. Basically, wipe everything off the map.

row0006.jpg

Time to manage our army...

row0007.jpg

Here are the bros we can get for our strike team.

All units (and later upgrades for them) cost 'glory'. Glory is a resource replenished by completing missions and exploring key locations on the mission map. For the next mission, we can get only 10 units.

Here are the bros available to us:

row0008.jpg

Fire dragons will be our sternguard. They have the 'armour piercing' ability, which makes them fry warmachines at an excellent rate. They are also of the 'devastator' class, which means they can launch support fire if in range of enemy units attacking friendly ones. But they should be kept in the back (at least later on), as their defence is a little lacking. They're also slow as shit which can bite you in the arse in timed missions.

row0009.jpg

Next are the guardians. This will be our cannon fodder. Essentially, guardians are completely useless, and the worst unit available to us (that's why they cost 0 glory). But their big advantage is that they gain experience faster than other units, and at level 4 they can advance to aspect warriors.

row0010.jpg

Mimes will be our early scouts. They have pretty good movement and visibility range, and later can upgrade to harlequins. They have two neat special abilities - invisibility, which makes them unseen to the enemy, and gives them the ability to strike without provoking an enemy counterattack. The second is 'hit and run', which allows them to move a few times during their turn, as opposed to other units that can't move anymore if they advance by one hex, even if their mobility is 5. However, caution is advised when using them, as their defence is pitiful.

row0011.jpg

Very early artillery, the scatter laser might die fast, but it's extremely useful if used well. It has a long range (3), a pretty high attack value, and the 'rapid fire' ability, which means it can fire twice if it doesn't move during its turn. It needs to be kept away from the enemy, though, as its defence is even lower than the mimes'

row0012.jpg

Striking scorpions will be our shock troops. They have decent movement rate, excellent defence, and very good melee damage.

row0013.jpg

And finally, vypers are early hovertanks. Excellent movement, good damage, bonus damage when striking from forests thanks to the pop up attack ability and a range of 2. Pretty useful to scout along with the mimes.

row0015.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough glory for a vyper, so the current strike force is as follows: 2x striking scorpions, 2x fire dragons, 1x mimes, 1x scatter laser, 4x guardians.

Let us start the mission.

Soundtrack: 1:01 - 5:15

row0016.jpg

row0017.jpg

Here's the map. The yellow dots with eldar symbols are our bros.

row0018.jpg

During deployment, we can shuffle the units to get a better starting formation (vital later on, as there are missions where our starting position will get stormed from the get-go)

row0020.jpg

There's also a couple of key locations on this map. This Eldar spire:

row0021.jpg

And a couple of Imperial towns:

row0022.jpg

row0024.jpg

row0026.jpg

row0028.jpg

row0030.jpg

Invading those sites may give us various bonuses. Some may hold artifacts, some can give us experience and glory, other can even hold imprisoned units we can liberate, but some can even be traps, holding enemy units and exploding booby traps. But they don't always have these things, sometimes they can be just flavour.

Thus, we start our movement and meet our first enemy...

row0032.jpg

THE DREADED IMPERIAL GUARDSMEN SQUAD!!!!!!!

row0033.jpg

These boyz are the Imperial equivalent of guardians. Useless as shit.

row0035.jpg

Going further down the map we spot more guardsmen, including a missile team.

row0036.jpg

Just like our fire dragons, these bros can launch support fire for friendlies, and have the armour piercing ability.

row0037.jpg

We move into a tight formation with fire dragons in the middle, and end turn...

row0038.jpg

OSNAP, the bastards attack our guardians. Forgot to take the kill numbers, but it left our guardians at 10 strength, while the guardsmen are at 8 (thanks to the combined fire of guardians and fire dragons)

row0039.jpg

After that, the scatter laser uses rapid fire to eliminate the pitiful guardsmen.

The blood drop and skull symbols on the combat windows show the amount of units wounded and killed. Wounded units can be replenished by resting for a whole turn, but to reinforce kills, you need to rest in one of the key locations.

row0042.jpg

Later on, the enemy missile team shoops our scorpions

row0044.jpg

Guardsmen squad also joins in, but it suffers a lot more losses due to the fire dragons (melee squads such as striking scorpions cannot retaliate when under attack by ranged ones)

row0046.jpg

We use the mimes to outflank the missile team

row0047.jpg

Then we soften it with the scatter laser's superior range

row0048.jpg

And finally kill with fire dragons.

Then we crush the guardsmen

row0049.jpg

row0050.jpg

row0051.jpg

But all the fighting uncovered a new enemy force, including an autocannon!

row0052.jpg

This is pretty much the Imperial equivalent of our scatter laser, just more sucky.

row0053.jpg

Let's check this village.

row0054.jpg

Cool.

row0055.jpg

Meanwhile, the autocannon fires upon our guardians.

row0056.jpg

Another foolish guardsmen squad tries to do the same, but is burned down by the fire dragons.

row0057.jpg

Mimes charge the autocannon

row0058.jpg

And the scatter laser finishes it off.

Then we dispose of the remaining guardsmen:

row0059.jpg

row0060.jpg

row0061.jpg

row0062.jpg

row0063.jpg

Aaaaand VICTOLY!!!!!

row0064.jpg

But we do not leave yet, no, there are still sites to visit.

row0065.jpg

This Eldar spire:

row0066.jpg

Cool.

row0067.jpg

In other words, this allows units to just move through enemies to get behind them. Think about Warp Spiders and their teleporting around and stuff, this is the same thing.

row0068.jpg

In another town we find GLORY, and that's it. All others are just flavour. Let us end the mission.

row0069.jpg

Another briefung.

row0070.jpg

Objectives.

row0071.jpg

First thing we do is give the warp skein to the striking scorpions, since the free movement profits them a lot.

row0072.jpg

After that we check the new unit. A warlock. Our first psyker! Warlocks are pretty pitiful, they probably melt away faster than guardians, but once they get some levels, they can upgrade to warlock champions, later masters and finally farseers. All warlock upgrades are, pretty much, retardedly overpowered and the best psyker units in game. But right now, our warlock will be a little useless, but he has a nifty 'fortune' ability that increases the defence of all affected bros around him. He's also a single entity unit, which means he might have less HP than squads, but he doesn't suffer kills, and is immune to many nasty abilities that give +attack against squads/formation movement.

Thus we sack one guardian squad and get a warlock. We still lack funds to get a vyper, though :(

row0073.jpg

We can also buy a 'strategy' for the next mission. The only one available now is 'craven cowardice', which instantly kills squads that are broken or below half their strength. Has no effect on 'heroic' units (we won't be meeting those for a loooooooooong while) and mission-critical ones. It's mainly useful to quickly dispose of dangerous enemy squads that are attempting to retreat and rest.

And this is where we shall end for now. In the next mission, we shall launch an offensive on Imperial bridges and liberate a lone squad of Dire Avengers. Stay tuned!

Also, from now on, I guess I'll just be posting the combat windows only instead of taking whole images of 3 units attacking the same one. If there's anything you'd like to see improved in the way I'm doing the LP, chime in.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've finished this game about 3 times back when it came out. Good choice! :thumbsup:

Once your aspect warriors level up enough to upgrade into exarchs, the real slaughter begins. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DramaticPopcorn said:
Why the fuck noone wants to make LP of CHaos Gate?!

I can't run this thing. Each time I try, it crashes after like 5 minutes, and I'm too lazy to look for patches and/or workarounds.

Azira said:
I've finished this game about 3 times back when it came out. Good choice! :thumbsup:

Once your aspect warriors level up enough to upgrade into exarchs, the real slaughter begins. :smug:

Ayup. The slaughter begins especially after things get... nasty if you get my drift :smug:

And yeah, I also replay this game fairly often. It's probably one of my most frequently replayed games, and from what I know, barely anyone is aware of its existence, so I thought about bringing it to the clueless masses.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
DramaticPopcorn said:
Why the fuck noone wants to make LP of CHaos Gate?!

:x

Anyway, another excellent LP by Roxxor! I am sure it won't suck.

Not saying I'd make an LP or anything, but I tried to get Chaos Gate working, and it kept crashing on me. When I finally got it fired up and started a game, it crashed consistently whenever it was the enemy turn.

At that point I'd spent most of a day trying to get the crap running, and I just abandoned it in disgust..

Would love to see an LP though. :M

Darth Roxxor said:
Ayup. The slaughter begins especially after things get... nasty if you get my drift

And yeah, I also replay this game fairly often. It's probably one of my most frequently replayed games, and from what I know, barely anyone is aware of its existence, so I thought about bringing it to the clueless masses.
Hehe, yep. Good times are ahead. :smug:
I usually didn't bother much with vypers myself though. Found them a bit too frail. I'll be interested in seeing how they fare, if you should finally get enough glory to be able to requisition one of them. :thumbsup: I might just have to reinstall this myself, take it for another spin..

Yeesh

Magister
I own this game, complete with the big, colorful unit chart. There's something you don't see much of these days.

I expect this will be a joy to read.

Azira said:
Not saying I'd make an LP or anything, but I tried to get Chaos Gate working, and it kept crashing on me. When I finally got it fired up and started a game, it crashed consistently whenever it was the enemy turn.

At that point I'd spent most of a day trying to get the crap running, and I just abandoned it in disgust..
I had the same experience with Chaos Gate. Cultists' turn, and crash every time. Heartbreaking.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Looks great. Eagerly awaiting more updates and unit info (both yours and the enemies)

Off topic - Is there anyway to get Final Liberation working on windows 7?

desocupado

Magister
About Chaos Gate, to run it, you either need a virtual machine with win98 (in this case, you also need a screenshot program that works in win98 for an LP) or a patch that removes cultists from the game.

The crash is caused by a sound the cultists make, it seems, and I read somewhere some guy made a patch to remove them all.

It doesn't hurt the game much, you only see cultists in the first missions, and they are easy as hell to dispatch.

Korgan

Arbiter
anus_pounder said:
Is there anyway to get Final Liberation working on windows 7?
Yes, it's called a "separate install of WinXP". Oh, and I think I saw the instructions to run Chaos Gate on XP somewhere, but they didn't work for me. The only reliable way to play it is a VM with Win98 on it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Is there another WH40k-Panzer General game? I seem to remember playing one years ago but it looked different. Or maybe it was because of demo graphics or something. Anyhow, onwards to GLORY :salute:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ugh. The game that started the decline of Wh40k computer games. While all of earlier Wh40k games were at least a bit simulationist, this was the first one for abstractfags.
And the abstractfaggotry continued with Firewarrior and DoWn.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In other news, Awor Szurkrarz can't tolerate the idea of gigantic units standing on forests.

Darth Roxor said:
In other news, Awor Szurkrarz can't tolerate the idea of single exarchs standing on forests.
Fixed :smug:

As this is RPGCodex, I think you should up the ante of this LP by only using Guardians and units you recruit during missions.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission II: The Drawing of Blood

Soundtrack: 5:20 to the end

row0077.jpg

Before we begin the mission, I noticed that if I don't take any strategy, we may employ a vyper. So that's what I did, as we won't need craven cowardice as much yet, and vypers are cool (sacked another guardian squad to get it).

row0078.jpg

row0079.jpg

Here's the map

row0080.jpg

These bros are placed here by the scenario and can't be moved during placement.

row0081.jpg

They are the Dire Avengers. Not really much more than glorified guardians, but once they upgrade to exarch (at level 8), they will be some of the best units in our army.

Now the strategic locations...

row0082.jpg

This is our final objective.

row0084.jpg

This will be our first objective.

row0086.jpg

And that is all. I like the toxic waste barrels in the river.

row0088.jpg

After starting the mission, we notice a new kind of enemy.

row0089.jpg

The imperial guard assault squad. They are no match for our striking scorpions in melee, but can still do some harm to our squishies, like the scatter laser or warlock.

row0090.jpg

Thus we move into formation and order the warlock to spam fortune (it's that glowing shield thingy over the mimes).

row0092.jpg

Soon, an autocannon fires upon our scorpions.

row0093.jpg

Joined by a guardsmen squad, too.

row0094.jpg

And the assault squad.

row0095.jpg

We place the vyper in a forest to get +attack and fire upon the autocannon, doing tremendous damage

row0096.jpg

Then we attack the assault squad with the laser

row0098.jpg

Try attacking the guardsmen with mimes, which kind of backfires (the invisibility not always suppresses enemy counterattacks, don't ask me why). But this shows pretty well how flimsy the mimes are, and should be kept out of danger

row0100.jpg

After that we finish off the autocannon with the warlock. This is pretty much the only kind of attacks the warlock will do because it's fragile as hell, and attacking anything that has more than half strength might result in a very unpleasant surprise, while finishing off broken squads gives it pretty good xp. And we want him to advance asap to unlock better psyker powers.

row0101.jpg

After that, we assault the guardsmen squad with scorpions and guardians, and finish off the assault squad with fire dragons.

row0105.jpg

Then we send out a small task force to investigate the fortress in the southeast.

row0106.jpg

Foolish guardsmen try to attack our guardians and are burned to a crisp.

row0108.jpg

Then we use the vyper's excellent mobility to fly from across half the map and finish the guardsmen.

row0109.jpg

row0110.jpg

More foes sighted.

row0111.jpg

Meanwhile, our main force shall secure the bridges.

row0113.jpg

row0116.jpg

The single guardsmen squad suffers heavy losses.

row0118.jpg

The small expedition reaches the fortress and finds a missile team. I wanted to send the vyper here, but it would not be a good idea, given the missile team's high anti-vehicle damage.

row0119.jpg

Mimes finish off the guardsmen, and we fall into formation next to the bridges

row0122.jpg

Some foolish assault squad tries to attack our scorpions.

row0124.jpg

Meanwhile, the other force has a hard time with the missile team.

row0126.jpg

Then we crush the assault squad with the combined attack of laser and scorpions, and shuffle the units a bit.

row0131.jpg

Mimes arrive to the scene and spot a lot of well-entrenched enemy forces.

row0132.jpg

Guardsmen try to charge the warlock.

As you can see, it was a very stupid decision by me to drop the warlock here, as not only did he almost die, but if he had morale failure and would need to run away, he'd be blocked by the guardians. Units that can't run away anywhere are automatically destroyed.

Fortunately, our warlock is X-TREME and knows no fear.

row0133.jpg

We crush the guardsmen.

row0134.jpg

And check the clusterfuck at the fortress.
1 - Fire dragons attack
2 - Guardians attack
3 - Enemy turn, the missile team moves inside the fortress (to get better defence) and fires on the fire dragons
4 - Our turn, fire dragons attack
5 - And so do guardians

row0138.jpg

^The result of 5. Missile team is annihilated.

But before we investigate the fortress, we should rest our battered squads to full strength, as who knows what lies within?

row0139.jpg

Back to the main force, we again use the vypers to get across half the map and attack the autocannon from a safe position

row0140.jpg

The autocannon suffers heavy losses and needs to flee

row0141.jpg

Then we begin the assault proper. Laser fires upon the guardsmen (1), fire dragons (2) and guardians (4) join it. Striking scorpions charge the second autocannon (3)

row0146.jpg

Enemy turn. Autocannon (1) shoots the scorpions and flees, second autocannon rests to regain strength. One guardsmen squad shoots at scorpions (2), so does the other one (3) upon the other scorpions.

row0150.jpg

Vypers come by and crush the fleeing autocannon.

row0152.jpg

Combined fire of scatter laser and fire dragons blow up the other autocannon

row0154.jpg

Meanwhile, the scorpions use the warp skein to get behind the guardsmen, and free some place for other squads to move in for the kill.

row0155.jpg

Clusterfuck ensues. Scorpions attack the guardsmen (1), mimes join the fun (2), guardsmen are broken and run away (3), so they're pursued by guardians (4). Other scorpions battle the guardsmen (5), who also attack during their turn (6).

row0163.jpg

Let's check the fortress.

row0164.jpg

It's a trap!

row0165.jpg

row0169.jpg

At the bridge, we wipe out the remaining guardsmen.

row0170.jpg

row0172.jpg

And secure the objective. The bridges are ours, gentlemen!

row0175.jpg

Our forces at the fortress also kill the single guardsmen.

row0177.jpg

We should now be able to evac the dire avengers and let them join our main force. If we used the avengers to outflank the bridges, they'd get slaughtered.

row0178.jpg

The final enemy defenders, trying to keep us from artifacts that are rightfully ours!

row0179.jpg

Filthy humans attack our scorpions with missile team

row0180.jpg

Guardsmen

row0181.jpg

And assault squad.

row0182.jpg

More clusterfuck!

Laser attacks the missile team, so do fire dragons, vypers fire upon guardsmen, and are soon joined by the warlock and guardians. Meanwhile, scorpions and mimes slaughter the assault squad.

row0193.jpg

And these are the results. Guardsmen are down, the rest are broken and useless.

row0194.jpg

The idiots try to attack our vypers (and fail miserably)

row0196.jpg

The warlock and someone else finish the assault squad.

row0198.jpg

Afterwards, we get rid of the last enemy regiment with the combined effort of the laser, scorpions, fire dragons and dire avengers.

row0204.jpg

The site is ours!

row0205.jpg

Excellent.

row0206.jpg

We've done all there was to do here, so we can leave.

row0207.jpg

row0208.jpg

Briefing and objectives for the next mission.

row0209.jpg

We can buy a new strategy - the virus bomb - but I think it's pretty useless and inferior to craven cowardice, so I'll take the latter.

row0210.jpg

And here's the artifact. Leader units give +leadership to all units around them, making them less likely to break or retreat. Also, thanks to this thing, our fire dragons should now gain xp like mad :smug:

Next stop: Mission three: A Howling of Lost Souls.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That part of the soundtrack has been stuck in my head since I started playing this game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Damn, these maps look so great...
I wish there would be more games with such graphics.

Indeed. I love the maps in this game. Many of them have some pretty insane attention to detail, with flavour stuff that add a lot to the atmosphere (like those toxic waste barrels, to cite a lesser example). Most of the later-game Imperial citadels also look very pretty.

Yeesh

Magister
As gamers we too are refugees of a long gone golden era, watching and feeling the decline and fall all around us.

I wonder how the eldar keep from degenerating into a pack of bitter, angry cunts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom