Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1 recieves a rating of B when it clearly deserves A+

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.gameroni.com/posts/138.html
And the enemies, who in Fallout - if you’re not levelled up enough - stand as basically impossible obstacles blocking your path, forcing you to take another route to your goal, or artificially slowing you down on this massively important quest of yours. Why not have enemies level with the player, or at least per location, so that even the biggest challenges are surmountable if you put your mind to it?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
57.jpg
Where's my level scaling, bro?

ironyuri

Lewis Denby said:
Here we have an inescapably dated roleplaying game, blocky and isometric, featuring basic turn-based combat and FMV cutscenes. It’s relatively unguided, frequently very difficult, and often frustrating.

Dated in the sense that Fallout 1 was cutting edge for its time in some ways and that it used gameplay mechanics which were in fashion at the time of its release but have subsequently fallen out of fashion?

Unguided in the sense that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and any game released since were not unguided?

The quest to find the waterchip:

1. Leave vault, travel to Vault 15 (detour in Shady Sands for sidequests)
2. Learn that chip is not in Vault 15, find out chip may be in Bakersfield vault.
3. Travel to Bakersfield (or alternatively, stop at Junktown and the Hub for more sidequests and experience).
4. Retrieve the waterchip (after completing sidequests for ghouls, or killing them.)
5. Return to Vault 13 with waterchip, receive plot twist and much larger quest to stop mutant / Master threat to the vault and the wider California wasteland.

The quest to find your dad:

1. Leave the vault, travel to Megaton. "I'm looking for my dad. Middle aged guy. Have you seen him?"
2. Receive information pointing you to Galaxy News Radio (receive sidequest to help 3-Dogg which is unavoidable unless you want to get the info on your father, but overall a skippable step).
3. Go to aircraft carrier Rivet City, learn that your father is elsewhere again and that you'll need to hunt him down at Vault X.
4. Go to Vault X to find your father and enter the unavoidable VR sim sequence.
5. Find your father who promptly leaves for the Jefferson Memorial.
6. Travel to Jefferson Memorial, father promptly dies and leaves you quest to purify the water of the world saving the Wasteland and every human being on the planet... somehow? It's science?

I don't see how Fallout 1 is any less guided than Fallout 3, I'd argue it is infact more guided because you receive postive information on where to look for the chip and if you skip sidequests are able to resolve the chip quest fairly quickly. In Fallout 3 on the other hand you are burdened by travel through subway stations, endless fights and poor information to find your father who then dies leaving you with no sense of quest accomplishment.

In Fallout 1 you are attached to Vault 13. You have to save it by finding the chip and then by stopping the mutant threat. In Fallout 3 your one task is your father, who the tutorial sequence tries to build your relationship with, but who then dies upon completion of the questline leaving you a quest to save the whole world. Fallout 1's main questline was more guided and much more focused, there was a good reason to do everything.

Some serious derp detected.

Fallout was an important game, don’t get me wrong. But aside from the dialogue - which really is better here than in its second full sequel - I can’t think of anything Bethesda did which was noticeably worse. In fact, so many things were altered for the better, and for ease of use. Fallout’s combat is the most irritating kind of turn-based, for example: the sort where tactics seem to play only a small role, and instead it’s entirely a numbers game. You’re given a number of action points, and different attacks or processes deplete them at a different rate. Which would work if the variety were wide enough, or if there were any way to really work the system. As it stands, it’s a game of chance, not skill. And okay, fine, that’s what traditional roleplaying is all about. But only because of restrictions of the form. If the technology’s there to work around the issue, why not make use of that?

So being able to headshot a raider from hundreds of yards with a hunting rifle and 0 small guns skill is a step forward in roleplaying mechanics where character skill is superior to player skill? Having a poor hit percentage because of your skills was a limit of technology...

And the enemies, who in Fallout - if you’re not levelled up enough - stand as basically impossible obstacles blocking your path, forcing you to take another route to your goal, or artificially slowing you down on this massively important quest of yours. Why not have enemies level with the player, or at least per location, so that even the biggest challenges are surmountable if you put your mind to it?

Ignoring the fact that you can bypass enemies in Fallout in many ways, most of them not involving combat and if you are a combat oriented player, then you should by the time you reach an area, have no trouble in disposing of the enemies you face in encounters?

Peter

Arcane
Oh God. At least they had some respect for the classics up to this point. Don't tell me we'll be getting reviews comparing Thief to Ass Creed and System Shock to Dead Space soon. :(

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Lewis Denby said:
Fallout was an important game, don’t get me wrong. But aside from the dialogue - which really is better here than in its second full sequel - I can’t think of anything Bethesda did which was noticeably worse. In fact, so many things were altered for the better, and for ease of use. Fallout’s combat is the most irritating kind of turn-based, for example: the sort where tactics seem to play only a small role, and instead it’s entirely a numbers game. You’re given a number of action points, and different attacks or processes deplete them at a different rate. Which would work if the variety were wide enough, or if there were any way to really work the system. As it stands, it’s a game of chance, not skill. And okay, fine, that’s what traditional roleplaying is all about. But only because of restrictions of the form. If the technology’s there to work around the issue, why not make use of that?

Fallout’s combat is the most irritating kind of turn-based, for example: the sort where tactics seem to play only a small role, and instead it’s entirely a numbers game. You’re given a number of action points, and different attacks or processes deplete them at a different rate.

Yes, not tactical to conserve AP, choose attacks that are appropriate, or choose to move away. Thats not tactical.

Fuck this derper is used to Cowadoody and probably thinks Tactical is running in and shooting anything that moves in real time.

Seems he wants the game to play itself so he can keep busy licking the windows of the blue bus.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So i checked out there main page and i found this.

http://www.gameroni.com/posts/568.html

IS Justine Bieber and Dante switched at birth?
What the fuck.

Now the only reason you would write something like this is to try and either create some kind of controversy so you can get some more views for there D grade site.

Now her is the biggest issue with this. HE IS NOT FUCKING FUNNY!. The entire article is "they have the same hair huckhuckhuck i am funny"'.
They are the god dam Dane cook of Gaming sites.

visions

Arcane
Re: Fallout 1 recieves a rating of B when it clearly deserve

:x

Gondolin

Arcane
I'm... speechless. Fallout 1 combat was a game of chance??? Enemies who are too tough for a low-level character are a bad design decision??? Relatively unguided??? WHAT IS THIS LOW-GRADE FAGOTRY????

Oesophagus

Arcane
So his gripe boils down to: "Why do I have to make an effort to play the game well?!". Typical, another retard with a very short attention span. Give'em one button which makes enemies die and explosions to occur and he'll be happy.

Worthless untermensch scum

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR LEWIS

:x :x :x

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Re: Fallout 1 recieves a rating of B when it clearly deserve

Multi-headed Cow said:
http://www.gameroni.com/posts/138.html

You gotta be shitting me...

Globbi

Augur
One thing Fallout definitely retains over not just Fallout 3 but indeed all of its successors is an absolutely wonderful script. It’s written with conviction, but revels in its subtlety: in its wry jokes, its slightly offbeat style, and its refusal to drop into science-fiction or roleplaying cliché. Marvellously, for an expansive and almost fully-voiced RPG, the acting stays strong throughout. Bethesda could have done to have gone back and taken note of Fallout’s dialogue, certainly.
So Bethesda failed completly at dialogues while FO1 has wonderful memorable dialogues. But that is JUST THE FUCKING DIALOGUES IN AN RPG! So FO3 is better because I cannot into FO1 combat.

ironyuri said:
I don't see how Fallout 1 is any less guided than Fallout 3, I'd argue it is infact more guided because you receive postive information on where to look for the chip and if you skip sidequests are able to resolve the chip quest fairly quickly. In Fallout 3 on the other hand you are burdened by travel through subway stations, endless fights and poor information to find your father who then dies leaving you with no sense of quest accomplishment.
It was, in a sense that you had to read the dialogues and choose options. Not exactly a hard thing but required an attepmt to think from the player istead of poining out "Hey, you are just told that your father is in that city, go find him!"

Peter

Arcane
You were told that in FO too, though. The Main Quest had a very obvious breadcrumb trail thing going on, just like FO3. The difference is the quest compass. It seems that even FO3 would be too complicated for this retard were it not for the quest compass.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
On further inquiry, I realize how that site sports way too many twitter links (to the personal pages of the fucking morons who run the s(h)ite to be taken seriously.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That comment under the article it is a great "fuck you, you stupid popamole" for the author of the article.

Obviously this part takes the cake:

"And the enemies, who in Fallout - if you�re not levelled up enough - stand as basically impossible obstacles blocking your path, forcing you to take another route to your goal,"

Asshole, level scaling is one of the worst part of modern "RPGs".

Destroid

Arcane
At least he acknowledges that fallout has good dialogue and sweet graphics. I wonder if the author will find his way to this thread (probably getting more traffic from here than anywhere else) and come to defend himself.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This has to be the first guy in the galaxy who wants level scaling. Not even the most popamole of consoletards likes it.

Peter

Arcane
57.jpg

We should collect some more pictures like this and make a 'gaming journalism' icon collection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom