Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Disgaea! (Update IX: Capitalism, ho!)

Cenobyte

Prophet

Jup, to contribute to the growing wapanization of the prestigious RPGCodex, an LP of this little game is in order :smug:

First, the technical specs. I'll play the DS port (fittingly called Disgaea DS), which is basically the same as the original PS2 version with some added content and boni. I'll mostly concentrate on the story and interesting fights, and by no means you'll have to watch screenshots from each and every fight :?

Okay, now to the game itself. It's called a "strategic RPG", which basically means it's a turn-based tactical RPG. Dunno why they call that strategic in Japan. Most of the gameplay revolves around fighting and fighting and even more fighting.
The combat itself is at first glance pretty straightforward: Select an enemy and attack until he has no HP left. But there are several elements that add a level of depth to the combat: up to 3 neighboring characters can support an attacking character by launching a powerful team attack, there are plenty of special skills to deal extra damage or to deal with multiple enemies at once and some characters have the ability to counter attacks, and those counters can be countered yet again.
Another interesting mechanic is the geo symbol mechanic. Some maps have coloured tiles that can grant special boni or mali to characters on this tile. If you manage to destroy the geo symbols in the correct order, you can create a gigantic chain attack that has the potential to kill everything on those tiles (yes, even your own characters, this is not Dragon Age 2). Furthermore, those chain attacks grants you bonus items and other things upon completion of the map. I'll explain this system more detailed later on.

As an RPG, the characters have stats which improve on levelups and weapon proficiencies which improve through use. XP is rewarded either as a bonus on the completion of a map or by killing enemies.

The plot is almost non-existant and could be summarized by this: :retarded: but as usual the Japanese manage to make it quite funny and full with pop culture references. The tongue-in-cheek humour is actually the second best thing about this game after the combat.

For all the grinding lovers out there, the max character level in Disgaea is 9999 and you can import characters from one playthrough into another. We'll start with a fresh lvl. 1 character, though. And of course, I'll not go all the way till lvl. 9999 :retarded:

So much for general info on this game. The party will consist of a few pre-generated main chars, which can't be changed (even their names are fixed), but otherwise we can freely create additional characters from a vast pool of available classes. So if anyone here wants to participate in our rampage through the Netherworld, feel free to post your character wish in the comments. I cannot guarantee that I'll be able to create your character (because of prerequisites and the like), but I'll try it nevertheless.

Here some general info about the classes:
1. Human classes
Martial Artist (male/female) good with fists
Warrior (male/female) good with swords and axes
Healer (male/female) good with staves, can use curative magic
Skull (male only) good with staves, can use combat magic ---- there are 3 types of magic: wind, ice and fire
Mage (female only) as Skull
Thief - not very good with weapons, but can steal stats and fill the bonus gauge
Archer - good with bows
Scout - can control geo panels, good with guns
Ronin - good with swords, spears and axes
Ninja - good with fists, has a better evasion ability
Rune Knight - good with swords and staves, automatically casts a random spell on a successful hit
EDF Soldier - good with guns, soldiers from Earth
Celestial Host - good with swords, bows, spears and staves. We probably won't unlock this class in this LP
Majin - good with all weapons, we probably won't unlock this class in this LP

2. Monster classes
Faerie
Spirit
Golem
Treant
Winged
Dark Knight
Lantern
Gargoyle
Shadow
Serpent
Galactic Demon
Dragon
Undead
Nether Noble
Beast
Succubus
Kit Cat (Their cat ears have gained them many fans throughout the Netherworld... yes, it's a Japanese game :lol: )
Nosferatu
Great Wyrm
Prinny

All classes have 6 subclasses each with slightly different abilities and stats. I won't give detailed info on that since it would be way too much. For more info on the different classes, follow these links:
Human classes: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Disgaea:_Hour_of_Darkness/Human_Classes
Monster classes: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Disgaea:_Hour_of_Darkness/Monster_Classes

If you want to contribute to the cause, I'd need your preferred class and the name of your character.

.................................................................................................

The loyal vassals:

Digital Monocle the Warrior/Ninja
Crooked Bee the Ronin
Peter the Ninja
Pariah the Healer
Spekkio the Skull
KaleKagathe the female Warrior
Mrowak the EDF Soldier (Skull)
Ghostmaster the male Healer/Savior
DamnedReg the Scout
Yeesh the Thief
lightbane the EDF soldier
Murrow the Dark Knight
Radisshu the Brawler
Crimson Angel the Kamikaze Prinny
C.Bryan the Prinny
Kuroneko the Blue Mage
Garf the Scout

.................................................................................................

Last but not least, here's the trailer in animu form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zokOLzDiD8

Yes, I know it's way below the KKKodex usual standards, but it's a nice introduction into the levels of :retarded: you'll see and witness in this LP.

:thumbsup: Are you going to grind like a madman and get the best version of each side character? Or just go through the lulz of the story?

EDIT: Can you make me a warrior/ninja? :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:salute: You've chosen a really good game for your first (?) LP.

Bee wants to be a Ronin. Prefers axes and swords. Doesn't like spears.

But you must unlock Ronins first iirc. Still, I want to be in. If you can't make me a Ronin, then a female Martial Arts spec (is that the same as a Brawler?) will do. But I, like, really want to be a Ronin. :roll:

Peter

Arcane
Peter the Ninja please.

Looking forward to your LP of Disgaeads :thumbsup:

spekkio

Arcane
Disgaea LP?

:yeah:

mxe8cd5ciop3.png

:rage:

[/graphicwhore]

Thread derail in 3,2,1...

20736287755197798876.jpg

79678714137969407949.jpg

*Edit:

Spekkio the Skull reporting for duty, sah!

65624252843584519944.jpg

KalosKagathos

Learned
I like spears. That means I'll start out as a female Warrior, but please, do reincarnate me as a Ronin ASAP.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ha! This should prove entertaining :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, and make me Skull, if you can...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
yeah yeah everyone wants to be a Ronin or a Skull.

I'll try to reduce the rape by being a Healer.
Name : Ghostmaster.

Subclass : Savior

(trollface.jpg)

Mrowak

Arcane
Hmm, I just noticed spekkio was first with the Skull class. EDF Soldier maybe then, if possible.

This should be funny. Sign me up as Murrow the Batman, aka the Dark Knight class.

If you need to unlock monsters, please have me be an expendable character class/early monster class until I can be reincarnated as THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

lightbane

Arcane
Oh, this game is the ultimate game for aspergers and OCD, a game where the main character is literally a faggot (he's physically hurt when he sees women with sexy bodies, WTF??). Assuming you manage to complete the lp it will probably be very lulzy. So sign me in, Lightbane the EDF Soldier.
PS: Will you do the Auctions?
PPS: Be sure to sacrifice/kill Laharl as many times as possible, that jerk deserves it.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Alright guys and gals, thanks for the many volunteers

:thumbsup:

@ Digital Monocle: I'll do some grinding to level up all characters more or less even, but as I already said I won't give detailed info on any and all fights.

@ Spekkio: Do you have any preference on the school of magic? Ice, Fire or Wind?

@ Mrowak: Same question. Any preference?

@ Edward_R_Murrow: Alright, since you're currently the only one who would like to have a monster character, I'll create you as one of those and then reincarnate you into a Dark Knight as soon as possible

@ lightbane: Hmm, I'll think about that. Laharl will probably have its fair share of death :D

Current roster (I'll also update the first post):
Digital Monocle the Warrior/Ninja
Crooked Bee the Ronin
Peter the Ninja
Pariah the Healer
Spekkio the Skull
KaleKagathe the female Warrior
Mrowak the EDF Soldier (Skull)
Ghostmaster the male Healer/Savior
DamnedReg the Scout
Yeesh the Thief
lightbane the EDF soldier
Murrow the Dark Knight
Radisshu the Brawler

Alright, first update will come tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Mrowak

Arcane
Cenobyte said:
@ Spekkio: Do you have any preference on the school of magic? Ice, Fire or Wind?

@ Mrowak: Same question. Any preference?

I have no clue how the class and magic systems work here, as it seems you may change classes somehow, but I will go with wind specialization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom