Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's reap the Princess' bounty in King's Bounty! #1

What speciality shall our pretty princess be?

• Mighty Warrior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stalwart Paladin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
#1 - ITZ here!

1KBAP.jpg

Developed by Katauri Interactive and published by 1C Company in 2009, King's Bounty: Armoured Princess is a tactical turn-based RPG sequel to King's Bounty: The Legend. A spiritual sequel to the game of the same name released back in 1990 (which may or may not be decline - your preference), Armoured Princess is a colourful little game where you control up to 5 units, with assistance from spells and special abilities, and travel across open continents of every possible kind of terrain with a huge variety of units doing battles with dragons, demons and the occasional hoard of peasants to collect hidden treasure, complete quests and wipe out every single thing that attacks us on every map.

At it's basic, King's Bounty is split between an overworld where everything happens. Here it is possible to escape from enemy armies, luring them away so that you can dart in and steal the treasure they are guarding, or just to run for your life against vastly superior forces.

kb2011-04-1715-00-26-72.jpg

The battle map is a smallish hex-based arena where you fight to the death, hopefully losing few to none of your own units. Positioning, range and cunning are all vital to success - you can't just bash a button and win.

kb2011-04-1714-58-12-09.jpg

kb2011-04-1714-42-09-97.jpg

Every unit has their own special abilities (passive), talents (activated) and stats. I'll go through with every creature we can either recruit or face in battle. The basics are pretty simple:

Number: How many soldiers are in the unit. The more soldiers, the more damage it will do.
Unit type: Dwarves, Elves, Undead and Humans all have their attached type. An army composing of one type of unit will recieve a bonus to morale, which boosts their stats. Items might also give a boost to certain types of units. In the above screenshot - Sea Dogs are a 'Beast' unit, which means they fall under no alignment.
Level: Higher level units are more powerful, but have a higher leadership cost. Throughout the game we'll have the opportunity to upgrade lower-tier units into more powerful ones. Level sometimes has an effect on whether a spell can affect that unit.
Leadership: The leadership needed to recruit and control one of this unit. The lower the better, but more powerful units have higher leadership requirement.
Attack: The blue stat is the unit's base Attack and the white stat is the unit's actual Attack, factoring in all bonuses or maluses. If the Attack of a unit is higher than the defense of an opposing unit they'll do more damage, up to 300% of what they'd normally do.
Defense: Defense determines the unit's ability to defend itself from enemy attacks. If the aggressor's Attack is lower than the target's Defense, then the aggressor inflicts less damage - down to 33%. Some units also have special resistance to physical, poison, magical or fire based attacks.
Initiative: The higher the Initiative, the faster the unit acts in the order of combat. Having one unit with very high Initiative can be very handy, as getting a spell in at the start of the battle can change it completly.
Speed: The number of hexes the unit can move per turn.
Crit: % chance of getting a critical hit, which causes 150% of the unit's maximum damage.
Damage: The damage the creature inflicts with its base attack. Archers inflict half damage in melee. The symbol reflects the type of damage it causes - in this case, physical.
Health: When health reaches zero, one soldier in the unit dies.

With the stats out of the way, we can begin!

kb2011-04-1714-07-38-14.jpg

This lovely lass is Princess Amelie, daughter of the king of Darion with more than a litle hint of the divine about her, who we shall be in control of throughout the game. A direct continuation of The Legend, in which legendary kinght Bill Gilbert thrawted an invasion of demons and sealed the portal to their world before saving his own, Endoria, by battling on top of a giant space-borne turtle (no comment from me). Armored Princess starts ten years after The Legend finishes; Endoria is completely overrun by the forces of Baal, the lord of all demons who Bill Gilbert defeated and killed, and the man himself is nowhere to be found. With the shield the Archmages erected to keep the demons out of Darion about to fail, we enter the picture...

GrimDark enough for you? :smug:

Before we start, we have a few options available to us. First, the difficulty: as this will become a blind LP a couple of hours into the game, and this is the Codex, it is only proper that we should choose the hardest difficulty. Impossible they say? Nothing is impossible with my band of bros behind me! :obviously: Next up is class. All three develop quite different playstyles throughout the game, Warrior's rely on larger armies, Mage's use spells to dominate the battlefield and Paladin's are a mixture of the two, with more of a defensive emphasis.

kb2011-04-1714-09-45-82.jpg

kb2011-04-1714-09-56-18.jpg

kb2011-04-1714-10-02-86.jpg

Last but not least, what is the nickname of our charming heroine? And what shall her emblem be? They bear little relevance, but who am I to deny the hivemind the right to reach 7 different conclusions at once.

kb2011-04-1714-10-39-13.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-11-60.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-13-43.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-14-75.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-16-12.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-17-84.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-19-49.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-21-26.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-22-84.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-24-50.jpg

kb2011-04-1714-10-26-54.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-28-17.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-29-77.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-31-93.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-33-80.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-35-27.jpg
kb2011-04-1714-10-37-44.jpg

Get your vote in while the poll is still hot. I won't leave it open for long.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
:thumbsup:

name- obviously Pretty (Princess) or Volly or Volourn. Emblem nr.7.
I've beaten the game with Mage, so my vote's on warrior.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
kb2011-04-1714-10-13-43.jpg

Paladin was pretty boring, if memory serves. Got to the fourth island before the game became too unbearably repetitive for me. Up until then it was ok though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Warrior, because impossible is fucking impossible and you probably won't finish the first island with anything else.

DamnedRegistrations said:
Warrior, because impossible is fucking impossible and you probably won't finish the first island with anything else.
I was struggling on normal before I got bored. Found it much harder than The Legend. But surrender is not an option - I'll complete it, even if it scars me for life.

Snakes should help.

Mages aren't really any harder than warriors early on, and they are much easier later on. Paladins get shafted since they are essentially shitty warriors with only slightly less shitty magic.

My vote is for mage because spells are more fun. Also, you should get the expansion so you can get raped by imba goblin armies on the 1st island like my first mage was. The randomness in these games is simultaneously the best and the most infuriating feature.
:love:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd suggest reducing resolution but increasing IQ of screenshots. Right now the fonts are barely readable.

On topic: :thumbsup: Go with the mage.

Coyote

Arcane
Volourn the warrior princess with this as her emblem because it reminds me of the Codexian falcon emoticon. Though the bunny was tempting.

kb2011-04-1714-10-11-60.jpg

But if the witch wins, my vote goes for Black Cat as the name instead.

Evil Driven Bitch

kb2011-04-1714-10-28-17.jpg

And what DamnedRegistration said. I heard they nerfed the mage pretty badly, so while I could relatively easily beat Impossible in Legend (didnt play Princess, same game basically, do not want, since Legend was already retardedly grind heavy) you will abandon this shit in no time or revert back to hard.

Ashery

Prophet
Heh. Have fun with impossible difficulty. I had a hard enough time getting off the ground on hard, so I don't even want to think about trying impossible. Note, however, that I was focusing heavily on getting the medal for no casualties, so there were many fights that would've been a lot less difficult if I simply accepted a few deaths. The problem with that, however, is that you really need that bonus leadership early on, especially for mages.

Minor correction, though. I seem to remember that paladins have the largest armies, not warriors. Warriors can actually be thought as another type of "mage," except instead of focusing on spell casting, they focus more on their pet dragon (Instead of mana, the dragon uses rage. Rage builds up during fights as you deal/take damage).

Radisshu

Prophet
laclongquan said:
Black Cat the pretty witch with Andyman Messiah as her emblem/standard.

You should probably pay tribute to Andyman since this is the LP forum and all, go with this

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ashery said:
Minor correction, though. I seem to remember that paladins have the largest armies, not warriors. Warriors can actually be thought as another type of "mage," except instead of focusing on spell casting, they focus more on their pet dragon (Instead of mana, the dragon uses rage. Rage builds up during fights as you deal/take damage).
I think this was the case in The Legend. In Princess warriors get the most army and pet dragon stuff, mages get the smallest armies and lots of magic(including the ability to cast multiple spells per turn). Paladins are sort of in between.

Just to settle this misunderstanding - the name of our princess is set in stone. We can just choose the nickname.

At the moment we have (that make sense): Princess Amelie the Black Cat, Princess Amelie the Pretty Witch and a tie between Andyman Messiah and a tree.

Black

Arcane

Yup, harmony, harmony, oh love.

I voted witch because I want to see how it plays out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom