Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy General

Orgasm

Barely Literate
I played all the games from the General series except this one and it was causing me anal itching ever since.
Its 04:45 and I just beat the third continent on Hard, Ironman with Mordra.
This is the second night without sleep in a row that I am playing it. And today is Monday...
There is only one game in existence of which I can be called a fanboy. :oops:

edit

Revisionists!
611302750_27812fb622_z.jpg

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Now that I look back, I stopped caring about this place in 2008.
Just nothing to be gained except for lulz.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I've never played the Panzer General series (working my way strategy/tactics games from modern age down) but it's definitely caught my eye. The 40k one caught my eye also a few weeks back.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah it a great Turn based strategy game.

I remember wasting hours on that game when i was a wee little lad.
IF you haven't try out Fantasy Wars it plays a lot like Fantasy General.
It is not as good, but still decent.

Topher

Cipher
So I get that awful windows compatibility error (probably because I'm running 64-bit). I was going to give virtual machine a try but I didn't see a developer site for it or anything... anybody got a link? or is there a better/easier way to run this in Win7? For the record I'm using the Abandonia version and it doesn't seem to run directly in Dosbox without an installation which is when I get the error.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Try running dos box through Administrator CMD.

Now i don't know if WIN7 have this issue that VISTA has with UAC, but you can maybe circumvent it by.

GO to start ----> Type in CMD and run it in administrator and then go from there.

IF it is a UAC thing it should slip around it.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
CrimsonAngel said:

Its not as good? Except that Fantasy General is a better game than any of the Panzer Generals.

Far less balance issues. Especially with Mordra where beasts cant upgrade. Krells magic units cant either but he is overpowered himself. There are no über Junkers and über Artillery to swoop fucking everything away.

Seemingly better AI. I've seen it do encirclements if I fuck up my unit placement and leave only 2 spaces free to retreat, meaning it moves 1 unit close but does not attack and then charges the enclosed victim which will surrender

Rpg elements. :lol:

It may not have the pretty maps of PG2 or Peoples General but its has nice artwork for every unit in the description.

That being said I still like PG2 more but thats just nostalgic reasons.

Oh, and I lost. Fuck hard and ironman. You maneuver yourself into a position where you are broke and cant beat a map.
Restarted on medium and things are going much more smoothly.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Yep, Fantasy General is great. Too bad it doesn't have Open General + Adlerkorps (+ ton of other equipment files and custom made maps/scenarios/campaigns), which currently make PG2 definitely the best game in the series.

Advanced Daisenryaku for the Mega Drive/Genesis is also similar to the General series. Grab a translated ROM from romnation.

spectre

Arcane
Ah, notalgia. I remember spending many a long beer & hotseat night with it. Only Homm3 could beat that.

SkeleTony

Augur
Orgasm said:
CrimsonAngel said:

Its not as good? Except that Fantasy General is a better game than any of the Panzer Generals.

Far less balance issues. Especially with Mordra where beasts cant upgrade. Krells magic units cant either but he is overpowered himself. There are no über Junkers and über Artillery to swoop fucking everything away.

Seemingly better AI. I've seen it do encirclements if I fuck up my unit placement and leave only 2 spaces free to retreat, meaning it moves 1 unit close but does not attack and then charges the enclosed victim which will surrender

Rpg elements. :lol:

It may not have the pretty maps of PG2 or Peoples General but its has nice artwork for every unit in the description.

That being said I still like PG2 more but thats just nostalgic reasons.

Oh, and I lost. Fuck hard and ironman. You maneuver yourself into a position where you are broke and cant beat a map.
Restarted on medium and things are going much more smoothly.

I think you misread above. He was saying that the game Fantasy WARS was very similar but not quite as good as Fantasy General. Not that FG is not as good as any of the PG games.

SkeleTony said:
[qudfhgmes.
Its some kind of a ninja edit by Crimson. Or I must have been sooo fucking drunk... which could be more probable.

Finished the game on Hard with Mordra after abandoning the Normal difficulty restart early on and cheating on the one particular map where I had trouble.
Game is waaaaaay too long. You get your best units around the end of the 4th continent after 40 hours of mayhem. 5th and 6th to go...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom