Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gameplay Video of Dead Island

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks stupid, but fun.

Kind of weird that every single female in the game save the protagonist seems to be wearing a bikini, though.

Also, wonder if they'll change the driver's side in the car for North American audiences.

Peter

Arcane
Wasn't this advertized as an artsy, somber survival horror thing? Looks like a first person Dead Rising, only shittier.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I would say this looks like a prettier and island based version of dead rising 2 with more zombie variety and combat difficulty but then there's the derp that just murders the atmosphere. If you can't not take yourself seriously like dead rising 2 for gods sake keep it old school and don't kill the atmosphere.

-displaying level and name of zombies
-diablo style item attribute and naming system for modern weapons
- displaying damage christ you just have zombies you aren't a diablo clone
-popup centered stamina indicator on screen when you run
- probably annoying main character commentary
- decade old lipsynch and facial animation technology
- missions given out as piece of paper that you hold up
- cars probably going to be invulnerable exp jackpot machines
- no time limits as far as I can tell
- yayyyy fast travel
- nice clipping through the floor there near the end

good graphics though. Looks better than teaser shots of crysis 2.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Can't put my finger on it but I'm disappointed. Guess I just expected a bit more than what they showed. It looks very railroaded. Survivors seem like nothing more than quest dispensers. Safehouse looks like any hub. Zombies having levels? Ugh. The one-liners were cringe worthy and so was a lot of the dev comentary about 'coolness'. Seems the 'horror' element is totally gone. No deep psychological horror at the walking death, not the desperation of being stuck in a small crumbling fortification in a sea of living corpses and not even scares. Just mindless hack and slash. And fast travel? On an island overrun with corpses?

Guess I'll have to readjust my earlier expectations from the early previews. They obviously turned it into an arcade game. Don't think it will be my cup of tea. We'll see.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It is a bit... sterile... but since we always knew it would be a multi-platform game it shouldn't be too shocking. Still, it looks better than most AAA cross-platform crap. Perhaps a shade better than Borderlands.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Trash said:
Guess I'll have to readjust my earlier expectations from the early previews. They obviously turned it into an arcade game

clearly valuable audience feedback has been taken into account

these developers are aiming for customer satisfaction

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Are there multiple protagonists or are you really stuck with some bitch? :decline: if so.

MCA
Too arcadey and casual. I was cautiously fapping to this.

Well at least it looks gorgeous (to me), the light/shadow contrast is perfect. The only other game I've seen that has done it well was Crysis. All the others I've seen with real-time lighting has either a broken HDR scheme or has very very dark shadows all the time. It may still end up fun enough and if it comes with modding tools, all the better.

Also: HIT DAT ASS!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If it can be modded, it could end up being a pretty good STALKER style game. Get rid of the shitty highlights and the level notifications etc., as the world certainly looks great and pretty open.

RatFink

Educated
am i the only one that thinks the Machete of Divine Lightning is stupid?
(...granted theres batteries and shit attached to the base..but come on..)

i can live with punching nails through a baseball bat...but "magical swords" dispensing electric shocks which encase zombies with lightning..reeeeeaaaaally!?

apart from that i was expecting something COMPLETELY different from what can be seen here.

it does look fun! and their damage models are a nice touch! if i have seen correctly dismembering looks cool, ribs breaking and peeking thorugh the thorax..broken legs...smashed in heads...

all in all it looks waaaaaaay to arcade-y

+i feel this video showed way to much of what is to come scenery-wise..sure there is more to this game than holiday island and run down towns (...or is there? :M ) but this feels to be revealing to much. all thats missing is that they show scenes of the laboratory under the city hall/military base hidden away in the tropical forests where you will face the boss zombie supersoldiers which the government wanted to use to become a global power...with mini-guns and rocket launchers attached to their arms, of course...or some biological/chemical weapons factory, mind you

..still, i really would like to try this.

MCA
The saddest thing is there isn't even any dialogue with characters. I could stomach the most arcadey shit as long as characters mattered, you had interactions with them and you had to make choices regarding them but this one is following the exact same formula present in Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2. Sandbox world with static quest dispensers handing you a list at fixed points and safe houses. Entire game will be a repeating chore before you hit the first half. Next-gen truly formulated.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The saddest thing is there isn't even any dialogue with characters.

In an arcade shooter.

The horror. How can you make a good game where you shoot stuff without people talking?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom