Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How RPGs Were A 30-Year Detour

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Gamasutra continues to entertain, <a href="http://gamasutra.com/view/news/34276/How_RPGs_Were_A_30Year_Detour_Matt_Findley_On_Hunted_The_Demons_Forge.php" target="_blank">today by interviewing Matt Findley</a> (president of inXile) on <strong>Hunted: The Demon's Forge</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Approaching this genre what was your go-to in terms of the way you wanted to present the action or player interaction? Because it's sort of a new spot for you guys as a developer.</strong>

Well, you know, we analyzed the long history of video games. I think these games always wanted to be action games at their heart. I think all those old turn-based games, it's just that's all the technology would allow.

The tech today, using Unreal Engine 3, which allows us to prototype really, really fast and spend more time to make the game than worrying about the technology, it allowed us to deliver on that action experience.

When you play a modern action game, whether it's set in World War II or outer space, they all have similar mechanics -- jumping into cover, ducking into over, and shooting. We thought that applied equally well to spellcasting and shooting a bow as it did to shooting a machine gun. It was really our primary goal in the beginning to just find all the ways we could...</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The only way to make this paragraph even more accurate than it already is, is to add a healthy r00fles! at the end.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>So, now you're sort of moving a step back and saying, "You're not solving that simple problem that was solved with the Apple II anymore."</strong>

That's definitely part of it. I mean, the reason those games were turn-based sword battles is that was the only option you had. I think, now you get that twitch element of "me at the controller." When you take the monster down because you successfully hit, blocked, switched to exploding arrows, and shot him in the head, you're getting that same depth that you would have had through 30 years ago D&D experience, but it's happening fast-paced, quick, and in real-time for a modern audience that wants to see action.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The proper term is face-pace, Matt. Face-pace combat. Sounds awesome.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Newsitem spotted by deus101.</em></p>

Vagiel

Augur
I realize its marketing talk, i realize he does not mean it, but it still hurts...

Melcar

Arcane
O to the M to the motherfucking G. What the fuck did I waste 5 minutes of my time on? Holy shit that was horrible. My eye can´t stop twitching now.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
that didn't impress me. i'm cold as ice. nigga, i ain't even mad. totally cool.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
commie said:
Crispy said:
Even for someone like me who believes that TB and ARPG can peacefully coexist, this is "Oh, FUCK, OH WHAT A FUCKING DUMB FUCKED FUCK" worthy.

Bingo.

Now i have to add something.
Let's compare to not released games on how they are presenting them self and let's see what sounds more interesting.

First we have Relic's Space Marine. All there hype revolves around you being this GIANT armored genetic warrior monk that is out to kick ass and kick even more ass and it will have no cover button because that is for pussy's.

Then we have Demon Forge: It is a 3rd person hack and slash with a co-op component and that is it....
I mean REALLY THAT IS IT!!!! They have only added the RPG moniker to there game because they want to fell special for a game who's entire gimmick is DIABLO in 3rd person. Oh and it wont be turn based BECAUSE finally we do not need to do Turnbased gaming because THAT WAS the norm ALL this time.

I know which game sounds the most fun to me.

juggernaut

Educated
Matt Findley said:
Like, I don't think people playing BioShock realize they're playing an RPG.

Well, I certainly didn't. Looks like this guy really knows his stuff, I'm glad he's the president of a company that is developing a new RPG

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This guy has just surpassed every internet troll, and worse, he is serious AND is getting paid to make games! :dizzy:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Mastermind!!! See what your kind has WROUGHT!

This is why we are after to set the standard of a pure RPG!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
We just think you can have these rich worlds, tell deep, meaningful stories, and have all these elements of exploration, and wandering through dungeons, finding loot and going on quests for enchanted weapons -- all of these paradigms that would be in those other types of fantasy games work equally well in an action game.

And that's how The Witcher 2 was born.

Also, cutscenes.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As much as I hated the article, I'm glad I read it. Thanks. It explains in short but sweet terms the mindset of developers and why things are going for shit. We don't want turn based games, we want the Unreal engine. Fuck. That IS why things are fucked up.

He must be right, I mean, look how good his remake of The Bard's Tale did!

bhlaab

Erudite
Yeah turning Bards Tale into a realtime action game worked out soo well for InXile that I'm not surprised they're taking this position.

Micmu

Magister
My C64 was so powerful it ran mostly action games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom