Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Loot for $/£/€

pocahaunted

Arcane
So, apparently we'll be having a torrent of info on Diablo 3 released soon enough, but some German bros do not understand the concept of a NDA so there have been some leaks.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7958319#post7958319

Now, everything's pretty much irrelevant except for this:

"Real Money" Auction House. You can sell and buy Items for Real Money. You have to pay fee to Blizzard for it. You can also use an Ingame-Gold Acution House.

I gotta say, this sounds pretty damn disgusting, even if I realize WHY they did it -- who cares, they're still going down a damn dirty, despicable road. If they manage to be successful with this bullshit, we can expect microtransactions to become even more mainstream as, apparently, developers love to copy Blizzard/Activision business models.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'll be having a torrent of Diablo 3

pocahaunted said:
I gotta say, this sounds pretty damn disgusting, even if I realize WHY they did it -- who cares, they're still going down a damn dirty, despicable road. If they manage to be successful with this bullshit, we can expect microtransactions to become even more mainstream as, apparently, developers love to copy Blizzard/Activision business models.

It will become mainstream of course. It's Blizzard. It's a big name. Don't even need hype. Retards are attracted to big things. And retards love being ripped off so they will be paying.

Blizzard called it Cattle.net for a reason.

racofer

Thread Incliner
2luuzvs.jpg

pocahaunted

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Bullshit until proven true by Blizzard but if true then I guess I won't be buying Diablo 3.

They held a press event a few days back, the NDA will be lifted at midnight PST. You'll know then, but it has been confirmed by people that attended the event and had already warned about some rather shocking approaches. The fact that it has been confirmed and the leak provided some screenshots of the press package to be released tomorrow makes this info pretty reliable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't surprise me: WoW has been edging closer and closer to that. Brilliant move by Acti-Blizz, though: rather than waste resources trying to shut down gold/item farmers they just allow them and get themselves or 30% or whatever slice of the action.

Excidium said:
Think of all the chinese farmers...what will they do now?

Uh, who do you think is going to be selling the majority of items on the AH? The gold selling companies paying the inmates and indigents ten cents an hour to do the grunt work.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MetalCraze said:
Blizzard called it Cattle.net for a reason.

Tell me more about your superiorty complex

Anyway, this stinks. I don't know man, I love D1 and 2, even D2 with it's item farming nonsense, can be good fun on hardcore with bros. I was thinking of buying D3, first game I must have bought in ages, but I'm not so sure if they're jumping on this kind of crap so soon. I'd like my game to pretend they're more than excel sheet randomizers

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm a total offline player so I will likely pay them for the game but then play a "pirated" copy without all the battle.net shenanigans in it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clearly the answer is for fans to port Diablo III to Skyrim.

Radiant AI Diablo that's scaled to your level with marriages

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The one thing I never got about the Diablo games was grinding for loot. I would play the games through Nightmare mode. Then I would go "fuck doing it again." I don't understand what the point was. Grinding the last boss on hardest difficulty so you could....grind the last boss on hardest difficulty some more? At least WoW has something to do with all the loot you grind for and it makes an impact on whether you're even successful or not.

Diablo, though? It's fun to run around and beat the crap out of stuff but what's the point of waiting for unique items to drop. I mean I've grinded some bosses a couple times in the midst of playing, but it was with the goal of just getting some nice....uh greens right? In Diablo green was better than blue I think. Anyways. Derp.

The only people they'll be making money off of is people who deserve it. After playing LoL and maybe 2 days of LotR Online, knowing about Savage and Savage 2, and seeing HoN going the same way just a few days ago, yeah micro-transactions are where we're headed.

The big problem is they are bullshit. Did you know if you spent money on everything for LoL it would cost you over 700 dollars? FFS.

Then again. This is what everyone gets for piracy. They just make the game free but if you actually want any content you have to pay for it in small increments that slowly add up to way more than what you would normally have to pay for a game.

pocahaunted

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Then again. This is what everyone gets for piracy. They just make the game free but if you actually want any content you have to pay for it in small increments that slowly add up to way more than what you would normally have to pay for a game.

Not sure I agree with this argument. Blizzard's games, for example, sell pretty damn well.

This is a perfect example of them being greedy as fuck. These developing/publishing giants will always be looking to exploit potential revenue, regardless of whether they are dirt rich or stinking poor. They won't ever release a game for free, because they can get away with it. Same for the content they provide, if they are able to charge for it, they'll do it.

kingcomrade said:

Nothing to do with piracy. It's a bunch of reptilian assholes seeing how far they can get people to bend over for their draconian tactics.

If people keep paying for this shit, they'll keep pushing their green, pointy dicks further up their "customers'" stupid asses.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
that's while I loved Sacred's barter skill

once you got it up to your current level you could buy stuff from merchants that were going to be better than 99% of the loot you were going to get from drops anyway

seriously if you're killing the same thing over and over again to get something that helps you kill things better when you're probably already killing one of the hardest enemies with mindnumbing repetition cycles where you don't worry about getting killed so much as improving the speed of each session there is something a little wrong with the game design there

and if farming is required for a defacto standard of optimisation according to where you are, that is probably a bigger and more insidious gamelength bloating crime than putting trash mobs in deep roads

I don't know about you bros but I don't see anyone leaving a bot in guilty gear overnight to get a 15% extra damage unique punch set for their favorite character or farm skirmish maps in civilisation to make their chosen nation 'pvp ready'

this fucking genre

Secretninja

Cipher
Dunno why everyone is so pissed at this. You can fucking sell shit you find in game to retards for real money.

J1M

Arcane
They also announced that people could sell custom SC2 maps for real money, but that hasn't happened yet. I would expect them to waffle on this one.

made

Arcane
Secretninja said:
Dunno why everyone is so pissed at this. You can fucking sell shit you find in game to retards for real money.
I wanted to reply with a picture of a grinning chinaman with dollar signs in his eyes but sadly my photoshop skills aren't up to the task.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
made said:
Secretninja said:
I wanted to reply with a picture of a grinning chinaman with dollar signs in his eyes but sadly my photoshop skills aren't up to the task.
Kind of like this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom