Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games making comeback to PC

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124594/epic-working-on-5-new-games-unreal-engine-4-has-pc-plans

At GDC Europe/Gamescom in Cologne Mike Capps today announced Epic is hard at work on Unreal Engine 4 and has five new games in development, with Develop quoting the Epic president explaining that Epic now has a renewed focus on the PC, saying: "The PC has for too long been a port-to platform." Details on the five games and their target platforms are not offered, but a post on GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has further quotes from Capps' keynote suggesting that these will not all be full-scale AAA projects, as he says: "At Epic we didn't multiply the studio size by five when we started working on these multiple projects, so you can make some assumptions about the size of those projects." Here's more of his explanation of the new landscape of game development:

"Everyone knows the middle class is disappearing from the console business. Gears of War, I hope will do really well, but a pretty good game doesn't make its money back any more. A game like Homefront sells a couple of million copies and they close the studio, right?

"That's not enough any more. That's pretty depressing. You don't want to see what happens to an industry where it's Call of Duty, Halo and Gears and no-one else has enough money to make any games any more. That's not a fun industry.

"I can't bet my entire company every time I make a game, that's a really dangerous business," Capps added.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Made me chuckle.

Of course they are not making any comeback to PC, because they are the consoletard company as evidenced by

"That's not enough any more. That's pretty depressing. You don't want to see what happens to an industry where it's Call of Duty, Halo and Gears and no-one else has enough money to make any games any more. That's not a fun industry.

Which is just a marketing bullshit. Just like the rest of that PR crap.

I can easily name 10 upcoming PC-exclusive games which are much better and complex than anything Epic did in the last 12 years.

Better games. That don't need to sell millions and millions of copies so Cliffy B can buy himself multiple ferraris instead of one.

Angthoron

Arcane
BROS WE NEED TO SHOWCASE A NEW ENGINE TO INFLUENCE MSOFT AND SONY TO MAKE NEW CONSOLE OH AND ALSO TO REFRESH FRIENDSHIPS WITH NVIDIA AND AMD.

BROS PC DOESNT HAVE MUCH PIRACY ANYMORE NO REALLY BROS ITS OKAY NOW.

PS ALSO WE WILL MAKE INGAME SHORTS STORE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO ALWAYS BE ONLINE TO PLAY IT SO TRADING ISN'T CHEAT.

PSPS ALSO SEAMLESS SOCIAL INTEGRATION WITH CHATTING AND SENDING SCREENSHOTS AND TWATS TO TWATTER TO UPDATE STATUS OF CAMPING NOOBS.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
What's with the Epic-hate ?

Because Epic sucks incredibly hard?

Ed123 said:
PoS is a bit much, I'd say Unrl2 was mediocre at worst. Codex is just upset you're forced to play as a black man.

You are right. Games where you play as a nigger usually have a lackluster SP campaign.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Unreal 2 was developed by Legend Entertainment. I thought they did a pretty good job, for it's time.

Either way. Skyway will be among the first ones to buy the new shiny DX11 exclusive.

I don't mind Epic doing a couple smaller projects, as long as it means more creative freedom for them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want new Unreal Tournament. This time less colourful, make it similar to the best one - the first one.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Konjad said:
I want new Unreal Tournament. This time less colourful, make it similar to the best one - the first one.
Not unless they fire their art director who is responsible for the niggers on steroid character design first.

UT 2003/4 were atrocious.

Also, they better get Alex Brandon for the soundtrack back.

pocahaunted

Arcane
I'd rather these money hungry douches kept away from the PC, as they promised. These cunts are bloody parasites, they spotted a market with P2Win and other micro-transaction bullshit and are now backtracking/doing damage control/etc to get back on the train, trying to gobble a slice of the pie.

Multi-headed Cow

Fuck Epic unless they can make Unreal Tournament 2004 2.

Which they can't.

Because they're consoletards and would split all that content up into DLC.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
pocahaunted said:
I'd rather these money hungry douches kept away from the PC, as they promised. These cunts are bloody parasites, they spotted a market with P2Win and other micro-transaction bullshit and are now backtracking/doing damage control/etc to get back on the train, trying to gobble a slice of the pie.
What the fuck are you talking about? P2Win? Microtransactions? Epic isn't in the MMO/Social business.

MetalCraze

Arcane
UT2004 is a multiplatform game, MHC (or rather an addon to one - U2k3)

Which is the reason why it was so slow and it's so easy to be in frag top3 there.

In UT it's really hard to get to the top, in UT2004 it's like you are in The Matrix as you slowly float through the water that seems to have replaced air.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Gears of War: Tournament Edition (UT3) was bad bad bad bad. I hope their next major release is a giant map pack for 2k4.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Rasputin said:
I want Unreal 3.
For what it's worth, they've been throwing around teases that they'd like to do another full Unreal game. Considering how fucking excellent the first game is, and how... decent the second one is, I'm not expecting a ton from today's Epic, but nevertheless I'd still love to see them at least try to make something as original and inventive as Unreal again.

As for Unreal Engine 4... they said the same thing about Unreal Engine 3, that it was a PC-focused engine. While that was actually true during its development to some degree, and Unreal Tourmanent III looked and played great with it, the later "3.5" editions gradually moved more and more towards a console focus. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens this time - pimp out the engine for maximum visual impact on PC, then as the next generation of consoles get lined up for release, move the focus more towards them.

Also, I have to say that Unreal Engine/UDK is one of the best and most intuitive development tools available. I'm actually very curious how they plan to improve on what they've already got, because the newest UDK releases are already capable of putting out possibly the best graphics ever seen on PC, and have a huge array of tools available for just about any type of game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Butthurt PC gamer business aside, making smaller games for smaller audiences and including the PC is pretty much EXACTLY what I want devs and publishers to do right now. So good for them

Eager to see what they come up with.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So a few years ago they insult PC gamers and then announce they will cater to them? Is the crisis hitting the video game industry this bad?

Ah well, still love UT3 though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Crusader Kings 2, Diablo 3, Iron Front, King Arthur 2, ArmA 3, Red Orchestra 2, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Sword of the Stars 2, X4: Rebirth, Torchlight 2, GTR3, rFactor2, Trackmania 2 and Dead State

Enough?

Somehow none of them requires multimillion sales to bring profits in and at the same time their designers take some effort to make a game, not press a "Create Popamole" button in UDK so you can play GoW with the same copy pasted "take cover, pop a wave of moles, repeat" for 6 hours.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
fizzelopeguss said:
MetalCraze said:
I can easily name 10 upcoming PC-exclusive games which are much better and complex than anything Epic did in the last 12 years..

go on then, no really...i'm genuinely interested.

MetalCraze said:
Crusader Kings 2, Diablo 3, Iron Front, King Arthur 2, ArmA 3, Red Orchestra 2, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Sword of the Stars 2, X4: Rebirth, Torchlight 2, GTR3, rFactor2, Trackmania 2 and Dead State

Enough?

lern to quote better.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
never heard of ironfront before, cheers for that.

When CKII comes out i'll grind the disc down into a fine powder and inject it directly into my anus through a turkey baster. I won't be seen for atleast a month

pocahaunted

Arcane
Morgoth said:
pocahaunted said:
What the fuck are you talking about? P2Win? Microtransactions? Epic isn't in the MMO/Social business.

Yet.

Btw, most DLC bullshit falls into the micro-transaction category.

Black

Arcane
First make a good game on PC, then we'll talk about any potential "comebacks".
If I remember correctly their last good game was UT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom