Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D5e is coming.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
Recently, Monte Cook got rehired by WOTC. He was one of the designers of 3e. He started writing columns where he discussed possible gamme features he felt were lacking. He appears to be trying to reach out to grognards as well as people playing Pathfinder.

Then a few days ago Margeret Weis confirmed that Cook was working on 5e.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hm. Cool, I guess.

I find it p. hard to be excited for D&D news, because it isn't a particularly interesting tabletop system, and because there'll never be a good D&D CRPG ever again.

catfood

AGAIN
Curious to see how they'll handle this one after the backlash they got from 4e. I doubt they'll continue to build on the current edition. Most likely they'll either try out something new, or try to design it closer to 3e.

If it's anything like 3e or 4e then I don't give a damn since those versions already exist and it's irrelevant to make a 3e v2 for example. Now if they try designing something new altogether then that might pique my interest.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I wonder how much they further butcher all the different planes... :?

Morkar Left

They should just hire Paizo who have a better feeling what Tabletop rpg gamers want. But I suppose that would be difficult and embarassing after kicking them out the door.

Monte Cook gets a lot of praise but I can't say I'm a fan of his work. I think he has only talent to design rulemachanics but without getting the big picture and make it all work together well. His rules are too gamey for my taste.
That's at least my impression after looking at his works. I don't know what parts of 3rd edition he designed.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
Well, it took 3 years to design 4e. They started work in 2005, and it was released early on in the summer of 2008.

So if we assume 3 years dev time for 5e, it should come out in 2014. Still enough time for one or two good crpg's based on 4e.

waywardOne

Arcane
3e was hardly "designed" (cue aspie fanboys), and Weis is a no-talent cunt of a writer. I declare 5e stillborn.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I want to be a homosexual tranny half-dragon half-elf and romance with my foes (who are all lawful good and liberal) instead of fighting.

:love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
4e had some good ideas. As always, it doesn't matter until it's released, I shall judge it then.

hakuroshi

Augur
They are early. It's hardly three years since 4e launch and they doing not a revision like 3.5 but a whole new edition. Not very surprising though.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
Jaesun, 4e has more tactical options than 3e or Pathfinder. If a dev makes a true 4e crpg, then it will dwarf ToEE in terms of tactical combat just due to the fact that it is 4e.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This move has nothing to do with "improving" 4e. It has everything to do with selling more books. They had 3 players handbooks, 3 dms guides, 3 monster manuals, and another 12+ horrible, horrible books. They sold all they are going to sell. They need to sell more. Sure, there will be more books for 4e with 24 pt font and pictures every other page, but they make more money off the core rulebooks than all that other junk.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not surprised WotC would rush out 5E after the 4E backlash, but I have a feeling they'll fuck it up and end up pissing off even more customers.

If they fix some of the things that pissed me off about 4E without making any new mistakes, though, I might consider buying the core books.

deuxhero said:
I guess this means no real 4E cRPG?

I don't know whether to chalk that up to the unpopularity of 4E or the shitty state of the RPG genre.

Shannow

Waster of Time
SkyrimSucks said:
Jaesun, 4e has more tactical options than 3e or Pathfinder. If a dev makes a true 4e crpg, then it will dwarf ToEE in terms of tactical combat just due to the fact that it is 4e.
And due to the fact, that it wouldn't have Cloud's Sword, amiright, "SkyrimSucks"?

TripJack

Hedonist
d&d went to shit after the invention of ad&d herp derp everyone look at me i played older editions than you

seriously though it would be quite surprising if they can redeem themselves after 4e

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom