Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Quest for Glory-like Mage's Initiation releasing on January 30th
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Thu 29 November 2018, 01:15:30Tags: Himalaya Studios; Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements
Himalaya Studios' Mage's Initiation was crowdfunded way back in February 2013, during the golden age of Kickstarter. It was part of a trio of crowdfunded Quest for Glory-likes, along with Infamous Quests' Quest for Infamy which came out in 2014 and the Coles' own Hero-U which was finally released earlier this year. The game, in case you've forgotten, is an adventure-RPG where you play as D'arc, a novice mage who is tasked with saving the land. Himalaya have really taken their sweet time with it, having spent 15 months on voice acting alone. A dodgy combat video they released back in 2016 had us worried that the game had gone down a feature creep rabbit hole. However, it looks like things have come together, and today they finally announced a launch date - January 30th. Here's the obligatory teaser trailer and accompanying press release:
Sixteen-year-old D'arc has spent most of his life confined to the Mage's Tower, studying elemental magic under the instruction of Ele'Wold's most accomplished scholars. Now his skills will be put to the test with three quests across a mystical land he knows only from stories and dreams.
But something's rotten in Ele'Wold: the realm's once benevolent winged guardians have turned hostile and restless redcap goblins are on the warpath. Can D'arc pass his initiation *and* rescue a kingdom on the brink of chaos?
Mage's Initiation is an adventure/RPG hybrid inspired by the venerable Quest for Glory (a.k.a. Hero's Quest) and King's Quest series by Sierra On-Line. It's the second commercial adventure game from Himalaya Studios, who have also released four free remakes of classic Sierra games under the moniker Anonymous Game Developers Interactive (AGDI).
- Choose from four character classes -- Fire Mage, Air Mage, Water Mage, or Earth Mage -- each with unique magical spells and puzzle solutions.
- Explore a vibrant fantasy world with hand-drawn graphics reminiscent of the Sierra, LucasArts, and Revolution adventure games of the early 1990s.
- Select between three point & click interfaces: a Sierra-style icon bar, a LucasArts-style verb coin, or a streamlined compact UI.
- Run into combat for an RPG experience, or avoid it for pure adventure.
- Automatically gain new strengths, spells, and abilities as your character improves -- no stat grinding required!
- Get your money's worth: branching storyline and optional side quests provide replay value.
- Fully voiced and lip-synced.