Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by JMab

1. JMab

Which programming language did you choose and why?

If we’re looking for other things to argue about, I’d be interested to know what any devs are doing with character classes. I started with a simple inheritance hierarchy, Character -> HumanoidCharacter -> PlayerCharacter or NPCHumanoid, but already I’m getting some headaches and I think it’s...
  2. JMab

Which programming language did you choose and why?

I agree that singletons lead to tight coupling which leads to future design pain and difficult refactoring. I use Unity with the Extenject dependency injection framework which is an elegant alternative to singletons. You get the best bits of singletons - only one instance, initialized exactly...
  3. JMab

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

The one on the left as it looks more like an actual tree.
  4. JMab

Game News Monomyth Beta Released

Looks great, I’ll give the demo a go.
  5. JMab

Posting for the discord

Posting for the discord
  6. JMab

Breakdown: Building a RPG on a years+ worth of free time and $6,000

Thanks for the detailed post mortem, it was very interesting. Congratulations on progressing to Steam Early Access. Good luck with the release of this game and your future games.
  7. JMab

WTF was that?

In C# 7.0 you can use a ref return property as an argument to a method that takes a ref parameter. It makes the code a lot cleaner and more performant in some cases: ref T Value => ref _value; One of the C# compiler developers said it was one a frequently asked for feature...
  8. JMab

WTF was that?

I see that the newer versions of C# allow you to get properties by reference rather than value. Good move.
  9. JMab

Indie Friendly Development Tools

That is good news. The Visual Studio Express versions were getting strangely fractured - e.g. you developed a C++ game in the VS2013 Express Desktop version, but you could only use the graphics debugger from the VS2013 Express Windows version. Will be good to get the graphics debugger in the...
  10. JMab

Yes, that's a good effect. He calls it a "burn out shader" in the comments. Haven't come across that before...
  11. JMab

I think that video is a good example of both "looks being mostly about artist's skill" and "C4 has technical features that are probably not being exploited fully by its demos". The developer is using a high-end modelling tool (3DS Max) and a global illumination via ray tracing plugin (V-Ray)...
  12. JMab

It might be because the creator (Eric Lengyel) concentrates on tech rather than art. It probably has all the tricks of other modern engines (e.g. displacement mapping, post-processing, fancy AA, etc), but it doesn't look like he has created or acquired the art to show it off. Also, all of the...
  13. JMab

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Cool, looks good. Although maybe it's necessary because of the resolution, but it kind of looks like George has nipples on his back.
  14. JMab

Vapourware Trying to learn programming from ~0, realistic goals naturally help needed.

Yes, sorry, I thought the latest goal was a C++ text adventure - I understand it's a C# something now? Anyway, I'd agree that there are few uses for 64-bit variables, outside of using the high resolution timer for example. I'd misread Perkel's question to be about building an x64 executable for...
  15. JMab

Vapourware Trying to learn programming from ~0, realistic goals naturally help needed.

VS2013 Express is perfectly fine. The "flat" WPF UI takes some getting used to, but given VS is the #1 IDE for game development, you should get used to it. Microsoft insist on eating their own dog food, if nothing else. There is no need to pirate the professional version of VS. You'll get...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom