Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Malraz Alizar

1. Why I prefer Fallout's combat over BG combat...

Which is funnier, a five-minute SNL skit or a ninety-minute SNL movie? What if I told you the movie had more variety? There has never been a CRPG with combat that could rival a good wargame, even a very basic one like Steel Panthers or Panzer General. The best CRPGs are the ones that...
  2. Who thinks BG2 feels like a Monty Haul campaign?

How quickly we forget :) Pre-ordering Baldur's Gate II gave access to an exclusive merchant, Joluv, who sold a variety of high-powered, IWD-inspired items. The Collector's Edition added an additional merchant, Dierdre, who sold PST-inspired items.
  3. Was Baldur's Gate considered popamole at release?

Baldur's Gate was the most popular and critically-acclaimed CRPG of 1998. The most popular and critically-acclaimed CRPGs of 1997 were Diablo and Final Fantasy VII. Seen in that context, and not the revisionist fantasy in which everyone and his dog played Fallout and immediately recognized it as...
  4. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

Hi shihonage, I thought you might be interested in these, the "complete" NPC rules from the original Dungeons & Dragons boxed set. It's amazing to think we're still grappling with these issues nearly forty years later. Best of luck to you!
  5. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

Listen to yourself, lecturing me about the comparative utility of abstract character skills in a post-apocalyptic society. How many hit points will the gun-gladiators have? Awesome. Why don't I just go ahead and make the texture maps while I'm at it? Edit: removed needless snark. It's...
  6. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

On the one hand, you're demanding a ruleset that attempts to simulate "reality" as you understand it; on the other, a fantasy world where the primary (possibly only?) method of problem-solving is combat to the death, and where success is measured in corpses per hour rather than anything so...
  7. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

Look, you're obviously a genius in real life. Does that necessarily make you weaker, slower, and/or less physically attractive than the "retards" of whom you speak? If not, then why is it more acceptable in your mind for a retarded character to receive the kind of universal advantages that would...
  8. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

What about balancing it so a dumb guy is as effective as a smart guy? Say, by giving the dumb guy other advantages, such as increased strength or agility? Or what about balancing it so a fistfighter is just as effective as a gunfighter? Are you genuinely suggesting that the potential for making...
  9. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

Wow, I guess you learn something new every day. Do you have any information about what changes when they level up? I've never had the good fortune to see it for myself, and based on my own observations (using the Awareness perk) their hit points never seem to increase, so a FAQ or something...
  10. How to prevent party NPCs from disbalancing the game?

This is how NPCs worked in Fallout. I think it's a pretty good starting point! If I were to design a companion system around it, I'd introduce a "Leadership" skill that the player develops just like any other - ie, every skill point spent in Leadership is one not spent in, say, Small Guns or...
  11. Opinions on this system idea?

Congratulations, deuxhero. You invented the Mini Six system.
  12. Review Vince D. Weller Does Fallout: New Vegas

It doesn't sound like you're familiar with classic depictions of the American Frontier AT ALL. Why do you think the US Government was forced to fight so many (purely defensive, you can be sure) Indian campaigns? Once united under a strong leader, the savage tribes had no qualms about waging war...
  13. Review Vince D. Weller Does Fallout: New Vegas

Some decisions in games design are made for practical rather than artistic reasons. You might have noticed the factions of New Vegas were based on a traditional (non-revisionist) interpretation of the Old West, with NCR representing the cavalry and Caesar's Legion the Indians. For obvious...
  14. Yuji Horii: Western press biased against turn-based systems

Off the top of my head, we've seen... Strategy games like Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Board games like The Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride Card games like Magic: The Gathering and Uno Traditional RPGs like Tim Schafer's Costume Quest and Penny Arcade Adventures Puzzle RPGs...
  15. 1eyedking Do JRPG's do anything well?

Oh, come on! Everybody loves American movies! My favourite anime character is Joe Pesci :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom