Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by The Old Kiwi

1. The Old Kiwi

How to use the Gold Box Companion?

I'd planned on playing the old ones much sooner; bought them (if my game library didn't already include CD copies) on eBay at least ten years ago! My plans were not carried through at the time, however.
  2. The Old Kiwi

Thank you very much. There is a Prophet Sword moderating forums on the FRUA web site that I've just joined, where I found a message thread from the author of Gold Box Companion that I wanted to add a query to, and you just covered what I wanted to know. I appreciate your attention. I use a...
  3. The Old Kiwi

I tend to compartmentalize my electronic activity. My budget isn't expansive, and the machine in consideration is still complete, save that I've set aside its storage subsystems, other than the DVD drive, and given it a newer (and empty) Hdd, that's how I do things now.
  4. The Old Kiwi

This thread hasn't been buried particularly long yet. I've restored a middle-aged (my terminology = it's a single core AMD A64, in an S939 socket, on an Abit KN8) PC for use with DOSbox, and some DOS role play games. I'm getting less patient in my later years, so something like the Gold Box...
  5. The Old Kiwi

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

By WHOM, pray tell?
  6. The Old Kiwi

Hardest encounters in RPGs

I suspect I had fudged some before that, to have a reserve copy of the Dust available to use for both! I played through that game several ways, and decided to cheat against the Beholders. At least, that at least seems probable. Thirty one years ago, before even Windows 3 came along, with an...
  7. The Old Kiwi

Gold Box Never played them seriously, so... what's the best Gold Box game?

Other than that, I believe the D&D / AD&D rules really crippled the Thief class, so I always double classed one member of my party as a part-time thief (well, at least I think I did. It WAS 30-something years ago! Only now am I so ({Covid19} restricted on activity I'm considering replaying a...
  8. The Old Kiwi

As pointed out above, the second "Ruins of Myth Drannor" version really was awful, and the Gold Box PoR was only draggy because it tried doing so much within the tight limits of 8-bit home systems, such as Commodore's C64. I may have still had an Apple II to play Phantasie and Wizard's Crown...
  9. The Old Kiwi

We're discussing the 1987/88 Gold Box version of PoR and sequels. There was a newer version that was really a turd that came along slightly more recently. Baldur's Gate II was a year 2000 product, by which time the only way to get the original PoR was in a collection. However, the "Ruins of...
  10. The Old Kiwi

I was looking for some DOSbox hints regarding the SSI CRPGs when I read this thread that I'd missed when it was current. PoR was "late" to MS-DOS somehow, at a point in time when I had no 8-bit home computer, only my PC-386 by then. I played the first one of them ported over, Azure Bonds, and...
  11. The Old Kiwi

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Owlcat is still just a lame bunch of wannabes, and I'll never give them credit for anything! Sorry!
  12. The Old Kiwi

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

I haven't acquired either one, and given the attitude of the Kingmaker game's publisher, I will *never*, not ever, try that one!
  13. The Old Kiwi

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

There's a sort of bounce (downward, if the weapon isn't tightly held) and minimal back-pressure from the bow returning to rest after the quarrel is away, that is, if I recall correctly -- it's been half a century since I handled one, but it's not cartridge firing weapon's rearward / upward...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom