Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by TheChickenKing

1. TheChickenKing

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

I didn't finish my thought properly, but I meant to say that by referencing Logan/Wolverine so directly, communities would then overhype themselves to the moon and back because "WOLVERINE CONFIRMED PLAYABLE CHARACTER". Companies are aware of this and often times use it in their marketing, have a...
  2. TheChickenKing

I'm guessing that either they don't want to overtly reference Wolverine until they're absolutely certain he can be in the game, or they want it to be a surprise in the game itself. Either way, they gain almost nothing from overtly discussing the comic book roots - comic fans will already know...
  3. TheChickenKing

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Strong disagree. Loot is abysmal in Valhalla - it has almost no impact on gameplay. It's so easy even on the hardest setting that statistical differences don't impact anything. I'd wager that you could remove the RPG systems entirely and it wouldn't matter. Valhalla's exploration is better in...
  4. TheChickenKing

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

I could care less about exclusivity and I think that competition is good for the market, but yeah, I lost all interest when it went from "here's free stuff" to "already bought everything elsewhere? Too bad!" I loved Hitman 2016 and thought 2 was pretty solid, but hoooooo boy I have zero interest...
  5. TheChickenKing

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic came out well before Skyrim (I remember hearing that designers from that game were going to try and help Skyrim have better melee combat after Oblivion, though I don't know if that's true or not) and has some of the best melee combat of all time. For everything...
  6. TheChickenKing

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

But it's not really about the combat, progression, enemy variety, or quest writing, is it? Those are all secondary to the core of why people like Bethesda games: they're relaxed, easy-to-play excuses to roam around a fantasy landscape, see the sights, and participate in an adventure. It's one of...
  7. TheChickenKing

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

It seems that publishers have found that releasing a half-assed game and then half-assedly committing to finishing it to a state just barely below "acceptable" is more profitable than outright cancellation so I can't imagine this won't get released at all. Hopefully the extra dev time for them...
  8. TheChickenKing

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

I'd largely agree with DalekFlay here, and I think dismissing his concerns due to him misgendering the game or whatever is disingenuous, though not as insufferable as trying to claim that "he just didn't get it." What is this, some shitty highschool poetry class?
  9. TheChickenKing

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

I believe I read that the GTX 3000 series of cards is supposed to be able to handle ray tracing more or less like it's not even turned on in the first place due to some changes in how they processed that stuff. That could've been marketing tomfoolery, but either way, new cards are certainly...
  10. TheChickenKing

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

It is worth stating (or restating, since PC gamers don't shut up about this) how much more expensive the games themselves are on console. If you intend to play a variety of releases, the PC versions are typically discounted sooner, faster, and for more than their console counterparts. You can...
  11. TheChickenKing

Spider-Man (PS4)

I disagree. Batman's combat is objectively worse, with far more automation and enemy types that ask for nothing more than button memorization. It requires zero spatial awareness or active problem solving; you simply see an enemy of a certain type and remember that a shield means tap this button...
  12. TheChickenKing

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

I'm primarily concerned about the general gamefeel. They've not shown a ton of current, unedited gameplay, and what they have briefly shown in trailers looks very stiff and just kind of off. I'm sure the story, writing, and production values will all be top notch but I'm currently trying to slog...
  13. TheChickenKing

I wouldn't be surprised if the truth was somewhere in the middle. Square Enix is notorious for meddling with their western IPs, so while Crystal Dynamics may have been aware that Avengers was going to be some sort of GaaS, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SE asked them to make unreasonable...
  14. TheChickenKing

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Eh, I could've used that word but I don't think it'd change my point at all. Mediocrity is hardly a specific enough word to be meaningful critically, and encapsulates all sorts of less-than-concrete opinions.
  15. TheChickenKing

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

I played a few hours of this through Gamepass 'cause $1 a while back and then bought it recently through GOG with the DLC, played for a few hours, remembered why I didn't finish it and then refunded it (<3 GOG). I think that it falls into that really awkward and hard to define space of neither...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom