Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Injury systems

Injuries should be...

• Nonexistant (don't use an injury system)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very light, almost cosmetic only

• Severe, an injured party member should be greatly impaired

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't care because I just reload if I don't ace a battle with FLAWLESS VICTORY

• Other (explain in thread)

• Total voters
Project: Eternity
sgc_meltdown said:
bro you might want to consider moving the survival thing to making shitty food less uneffective for those with the skill instead of this eating less thing and then making good food a lot less available

my recommendations are based on having watched ray mears and les stroud related shows

to be fair you opened this up with injury systems in the first place bro and this is along the same lines

The eat-less thing was the first idea I had, and I'm not really married to it. To be sure the weird counting of 3-packs of food is not very convenient. I guess I could severely increase the amount of HP regenerated from resting with higher Survival instead and just require a single food item per day per character.

villain of the story said:
Can we set the amount of food to be consumed per rest with added benefits and hindrances?

Not really no, mostly because I don't know how to make the interface convenient for that. Could possibly use a dialogue though I guess.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Could possibly use a dialogue though I guess.

triggering dialogue upon rest for choices will make your rest better than all the infinity engine games bro

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shemar said:
I played through the entire game when it first came out and have no recollection of such feature which means either it was not severe enough to matter or there was such abundance of healing so as to make it moot.

Healing didn't get rid of conditions, you had to use spells/skills that dealt with them specifically. I bought guild wars on release but didn`t seriously start playing until later. It`s possible that they started playing a more prominent role as the game advanced, but it 's pretty easy to see how useful/deadly some of them might be (IE: daze + wand to disrupt spellcasters, blind to shut down warriors and rangers, mass degeneration to get past defences, cripple to prevent people from running away or close in, etc.)

sgc_meltdown said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Could possibly use a dialogue though I guess.

triggering dialogue upon rest for choices will make your rest better than all the infinity engine games bro

I guess something like this might work:

You have chosen to rest. Please select what the party will do.

1. Use normal food rations only (normal Hit Point recovery).
2. Use high quality food rations only (improved Hit Point recovery).
3. Don't consume any food (characters will lose hit points!).
4. Cancel rest.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
If you take damage equal to your constitution all in one round then you have to make a Fortitude save or get fucked up bro. At low levels this will also reduce your HP to zero so the injury will be applied when/if you wake up. The effects should be severe but mostly just amount to a penalty applied to all your actions - maybe -4 or something, that should be troublesome enough for lower level characters.
Healing these things shouldn't be difficult (since otherwise people will just go back to town every time they get one, and that's tedious) but resource attrition should be an issue - scrolls of remove injury or something.

Lord Rocket said:
If you take damage equal to your constitution all in one round then you have to make a Fortitude save or get fucked up bro.

I'm rather liking this, since it makes the CON score extra important. Usually this score tends to get neglected somewhat since characters gain quite a lot of HP per level anyway (4 to 12 depending on class) and having 1-2 points per level extra due to CON doesn't really matter a whole lot.

Lord Rocket said:
Healing these things shouldn't be difficult (since otherwise people will just go back to town every time they get one, and that's tedious) but resource attrition should be an issue - scrolls of remove injury or something.

Yeah, it can't be too tedious so that it doesn't simply mean that you might as well reload or travel to the hub all the time. I'm planning to have the town vendor not replenish his food supplies all at once though, so it might not be a good idea to travel (which also takes a couple days worth of food each time) there all the time and encourages to take on another mission or go somewhere else where you might be able to buy food but there's no hospital/healer.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Freelance Henchman said:
Rest is restricted too. It takes food, which is scarce, and resting without food will actually reduce your HP. So that's not really an option to deal with injuries.

This sounds a lot like the system MotB had. Main character's 'spirit-hunger' would increase upon resting.

DriacKin said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Rest is restricted too. It takes food, which is scarce, and resting without food will actually reduce your HP. So that's not really an option to deal with injuries.

This sounds a lot like the system MotB had. Main character's 'spirit-hunger' would increase upon resting.

I suppose it's similar but in my module there won't be a real-time increasing "hunger" mechanic.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Freelance Henchman said:
Yeah, it can't be too tedious so that it doesn't simply mean that you might as well reload or travel to the hub all the time. I'm planning to have the town vendor not replenish his food supplies all at once though, so it might not be a good idea to travel (which also takes a couple days worth of food each time) there all the time and encourages to take on another mission or go somewhere else where you might be able to buy food but there's no hospital/healer.

I like this.
resource management should be important, especially if food and rest would heal some of the minor penalties because your body is resting well fed as opposed to just sleeping and maybe using a scroll.

What I would like to see are some "conditions" that are temporarily removable by means of magic or healing kits but that at some point, if you press too much, you start having problems because your body needs to physically rest. That way, even if you have enough resources with you, the party will be forced to rest and you cannot take too many risks because you will have to rest at some point.

What about shock/trauma for debilitating injuries?

Krraloth said:
What I would like to see are some "conditions" that are temporarily removable by means of magic or healing kits but that at some point, if you press too much, you start having problems because your body needs to physically rest. That way, even if you have enough resources with you, the party will be forced to rest and you cannot take too many risks because you will have to rest at some point.

What about shock/trauma for debilitating injuries?

These sound too hard to implement really, and I'm not sure it's worth it either. What do you imagine shock would work like?

DoctorEars

Novice
I dunno. I voted severe, but I think severe injuries should only be caused by severe attacks. You probably already knew that. They'd have to be caused by overly high critical hits . . . or maybe repeated damage to that area of the body makes them more susceptible to injuries? I don't know if you can make it work like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom