Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storytelling in Games: Part 2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>IGN offer <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1165886p1.html" target="_blank">Part II of "Storytelling in Games"</a>, this time focusing on players & challenges.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>CD Projekt - Tomasz Gop, Senior Producer:</strong>

I'd say it's always like that: you invent the story and wish you could tell it to players your own favourite way. Then you start focus tests, people play it and all sorts of misunderstandings come from that. Then you force yourself not to think about that in terms of bugs or misuse. If you do it right, you adjust the story so that it suits more players, a wider audience. That is a challenge. At least for a pure-blooded Designer it is.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>BioWare - Casey Hudson, Executive Producer:</strong>

One principle that drives the evolution of our games is that in an interactive medium, every part of the experience should be interactive. Obviously that includes the story, and yet many games have a story that is completely non-interactive. You play the entire length of the game without being able to change or influence the events or the outcome of the story. To give players the freedom to shape the story, however, leads to some of the biggest challenges in game design. It requires the designers and writers to literally write a multidimensional story, considering the experience of multiple versions of the story arc as they develop each plot.</p>
</blockquote>

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"You play the entire length of the game without being able to change or influence the events or the outcome of the story."

Dragon Age 2.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
First guy is giving his job description.

Second guy is bullshitting.

Also, unquoted, lots of guys rephrasing the same obivious boring answer.

At least the bioware fuck is entertaining.

Coyote

Arcane
Casey Hudson said:
It requires the designers and writers to literally write a multidimensional story

Braille.jpg
?

CraigCWB

Educated
Dunno why Bioware is so hung up on making the story interactive. It's the games that are by necessity interactive. Seems like their obsession with having the storytelling driving the action rather than residing in the background waiting for the player to make discoveries, they'd be better off just having the story set in stone because they are never going to be willing to pay enough artists and actors to provide the content that'd be required for any kind of meaningful and long lasting divergence from "default" story. They need to just get honest and admit they aren't big on the idea that the player should have free will.

Somebody asked me in the other "storytelling" thread if it was really so different in the old days. That's pretty subjective I guess, since everyone has their own level of tolerance for being led around by the game vs exploring what the game has to offer on their own. For example, Ultima VII and Wizardry VII are two games that I'd say were just as story-heavy as games today are. I never felt like I was being dictated to about what I had to do and when I had to do it in either of those titles. I felt like I was making discoveries, and exploring the game world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom