Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UO Offline

Bruticis

I'd like to take another look at UO just for nostalgia sake, offline that is. Naturally Google searches provide me with a plethora of crap. Anyone know what's the best out there right now?

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Unless something changed in the last ~6 years, the only way to play UO offline is setting your own shard with an emulator. Then, depending on how exactly you want to relive the UO days (just want to move around and see the environments? or use some of the magic or crafting systems? pre-Renaissance or Age of Shadows+?) this might be rather simple or not.

One of the more popular emulators was POL, but last time I checked (late 2004) the basic install lacked some of the mechanics (and a lot of others were simply broken) and there were problems even with some area transitions. Nothing that can't be fixed by writing your own scripts or downloading some but that's quite a bit of extra work. Of course, by now it might be perfectly playable without configuring it too much.

At some point there came out an Age of Shadows emulator that, if I remember correctly, was easy to setup and had many of the mechanics intact. Can't remember its name sadly. I think it was RunUO but I'm not sure.

There is also UOX but I have no idea how much effort that needs to setup.

Bruticis

Thanks, I'm looking to actually play Ultima Online in a solo form (I wouldn't mind a private shard but there are millions and I'd rather not be hassled by yobs). Looks like UOX is now UOX3 and that seems to be pretty promising. Also, checking out RunUO and POL. Exactly the info I wanted, mega thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom