Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wheel of Time RPG: What do you want to see?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
GreyViper said:
AndhairaX said:
Come on guys, serious answers. You can have lulz, but also post stuff of substance.
All right jokes aside, serious answer a good story would be a good start, since well its their strong side. Other then that there really isn't that much info to go around so its hard to know what to hope for. What turned me off from WOT later was that the author R.I.P. built toward story climax and we got what in next book, anticlimax. Also the game would have hard time competing with book series story vise . :?

No, nobody at Obsidian would write the story. I have written that two times already.

Chris Morgan would. The Screenwriter of the Fast and the Furious Movies (Well, the newer ones). At most Obsidian would write some charachters and quests.

GreyViper

Prophet
IronicNeurotic said:
No, nobody at Obsidian would write the story. I have written that two times already.

Chris Morgan would. The Screenwriter of the Fast and the Furious Movies (Well, the newer ones). At most Obsidian would write some charachters and quests.
You are right, it didn't register in my brain 1st time I read, chalk that up to long work day. :oops: Then Im at loss, since well like their strong part usually is story or NPCs .

Mystary!

Arcane
Yellow eyes like Perrin :oops:
Also, Is this the series where there is a bounty hunter with a magic nose he can track with? And some dude who can walk through stone? Cool abilities either way but might be Eddings.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MMXI said:
AndhairaX said:
I for one, would have loved for it to be turnbased, but unfortunately it is guaranteed to be real time since it is being developed by Obsidian.
Fixed.
Yep.

Also Sawyer said it's been years since a publisher has even discussed the idea of a player party-based game with them so you can forget about that. Not happening now or any time soon. Nothing but real-time action from here on out and if you're lucky maybe you'll get one or two AI companions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Roguey said:
Also Sawyer said it's been years since a publisher has even discussed the idea of a player party-based game with them so you can forget about that. Not happening now or any time soon. Nothing but real-time action from here on out and if you're lucky maybe you'll get one or two AI companions.

Exactly.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
fyezall said:
Yellow eyes like Perrin :oops:
Also, Is this the series where there is a bounty hunter with a magic nose he can track with? And some dude who can walk through stone? Cool abilities either way but might be Eddings.
Yeah, that's Eddings. Belgariad.

AndhairaX said:
...I am not a fan of that because that would mean male channelers are out of the question, due to the taint on Saidin. Plus, I want Asha'man and the Black Tower to be in the game.

Your focus with males, black towers and the taint is enough to condemn you as a homosexual in court, are you aware? :P

Andhaira

Arcane
How should channeling be handled? One thing about WoT is that most channelers can channel for a long time without tiring even if they channel powerful weaves like Balefire. Thus, in the books channelers are always more powerful than warriors.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
AndhairaX said:
How should channeling be handled? One thing about WoT is that most channelers can channel for a long time without tiring even if they channel powerful weaves like Balefire. Thus, in the books channelers are always more powerful than warriors.

Button = awesomefire

laclongquan

Arcane
Mhmmmm...

Making game in the same time period as the novels could get them killed since WoT fans are fanatic. We must be, since we stay with the series through untold ten thousands of pages. And we are quite cranky waiting for A Memory of Light.

But I have no objection toward a game made during the time of Free Years.

You could try for being the so-called Dragon Reborn Guaire Amalasan, wielding great power personally and attempt to conquer the nations to forge into an unified world kingdom. Then ultimately, unavoidably, go mad from Power, killed all that you ever love, all ever have a shred of acquaintance, and raise the second biggest volcano in the world for your tomb. How that's for a buttfucked ending?

Then you could try for being Artur Paendrag Tanreall, a normal man who arise to counter the False Dragon, defeat and capture the man to deliver him to White Tower. Ultimately he unify the whole world, send two humongous armies beyond the known world to conquer the unknown and die in bed.

Or playing an Aes Sedai, female enchantress and intriguer extra ordinary. Following the collapse of the world empire upon the death of the Emperor you gather a small army to defend a small corner of the world to establish Andor?

Erebus

Arcane
Unsubtle and repetitive BDSM ; annoying characters, including plenty of bitchy women ; horrible romances ; long stretches of time where nothing happens.

Just like in the books.

Phelot

Arcane
The only experience I have with WoT is the FPS game which I thought was pretty cool. The storyline itself for kind of boring, but the levels looked slick as fuck as per most Unreal Engine games at the time.

From what I understand, the books aren't held in very high esteem? I read a few issues of some comic mini series, but it wasn't very good. Lots of grrrls becoming mages or something and expressing how they're BFF every few panels. Also, WTF vikings living in deserts?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the above said:
From what I understand, the books aren't held in very high esteem?

A lot of fantasy geeks of a certain age had this sort of progression:

Dragonlance -> Belgariad -> Wheel of Time -> Song of Ice and Fire

With each making the previous one look childish and lame by comparison.
(any idea what comes after aSoIaF?)

Phelot

Arcane
Infinitron said:

terry%20goodkind.jpg

Edwin

Scholar
Infinitron said:
the above said:
From what I understand, the books aren't held in very high esteem?

A lot of fantasy geeks of a certain age had this sort of progression:

Dragonlance -> Belgariad -> Wheel of Time -> Song of Ice and Fire

With each making the previous one look childish and lame by comparison.

Wheel of Time -> Song of Ice and Fire

Song of fire and ice is worth a read but I wouldnt say that it is so good.I would say that it is just different than the usual fantasy book but it has lots of annoying parts too.For example,after 5 books I still dont know more about the Others(whitewalkers) than after the 5 mins of the tv show...and I dont care about at least half the PoV characters and that makes reading their chapters a pain(for example Brienne).

The first 3-4 wheel of time books were really good but after that it became crap.aSoFaI first 2-3 books are ok(the 3. starts to be bad),4. is like wtf is this shit,the 5. is surprisingly boring but not as bad as 4.Seriously the 2000 pages of book 5 and 4 wouldnt be enough for 2 45 mins long episodes for the tv show because just nothing happens(Jon:on the wall scratching his balls,doing nothing,Daenerys: settled down somewhere in a desert,Tyrion: on a tour around the world but usually as prisoner(lol),Sansa:somewhere in a castle doing nothing etc....all the characters are at the same position where they were at the end of book 3(Stannis and Theon etc.),the whole thing is just going nowhere

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, if we're nerding it up here, then I have a (very literate) friend who strongly recommends Gene Wolfe's books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_New_Sun

He seemed to think that it trumped George Martin.

Then there's Robin Hobb's books, which are good but I think not as "epic/sprawling" in scope as these others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom