Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest, what was I thinking?

odorf sniggab

Novice
I spent 2 years feverishly playing this fucking sorry excuse for an MMO. I know I know it was a standard setter. Well. . . not really.

Imagine if thriced divorced moms, ass kissing spineless men, slutty fat chicks, biker whores and women that love Oprah Winfrey and The View got together and all played an MMO online. This was Everquest. I was dumb enough to play it and suffer through that shit for 2 years.

It was a singles chat room, with crappy graphics and an experience barely passable as gameplay.

Two years of suffering endlessly through people calling each other hun, abusing the /hug emote lol-ing themselves into stupidity and the constant barrage of predictable sexual innuendos to finally figure out that Everquest sucks.

Looking back I hated the people that were on the server I was on so much that I hope one, ONE person who was this type of person in Everquest reads this and feels really stupid and sheepish and never acts like that online again. That is my dream. Making the stupid world know they're stupid one person at a time.

Nedrah

Erudite
Don't worry, they know.
They ocassionally will even post about it on the codex, actually.

I've been burned by an early MMO myself when I was a lot younger - doesn't mean I have any reason to look down on the people that were in the very same boat with me.

Stalagmite

Scholar
I never had that MMO weakness. I played WOW for like 3 days and decided it was boring and repetitve. The only fun part I had is when I was a level 15 paladin and I dualed with some level 15 warrior and I kicked his ass repeatedly and he started whing about how paladins are cheap and he also accused me of cheating. I couldn't stop laughing. I put it down (and decided MMO's were not for me) peacefully w/o any scars to my moral well-being.

psycojester

Arbiter
I played Everquest for a while in year 8. I enjoyed the first few levels but gave up after it became a repetitive grind. Up until level 30 i had fun, that could be because i played on a PVP server, so it was more paranoid survivalists than pathetic lovefest

kris

Arcane
odorf sniggab said:
Imagine if thriced divorced moms, ass kissing spineless men, slutty fat chicks, biker whores and women that love Oprah Winfrey and The View got together and all played an MMO online.

I take it none wanted to hook up with you then. don't worry though, I am pretty sure the majority of the other non-male groups you described where still men. MMORPGs are probably the worlds largest gay hook-up site.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
odorf sniggab said:
Two years of suffering endlessly through people calling each other hun, abusing the /hug emote lol-ing themselves into stupidity and the constant barrage of predictable sexual innuendos to finally figure out that Everquest sucks.

Volly played EQ? :shock:

Nedrah

Erudite
I don't see myself falling for any of the modern Mmos.
What got me addicted was UO on a player driven german RP Freeshard that I wrote some praise about a while ago.
Has gone to shit years ago, though.

obediah

Erudite
I played EQ at launch, and it was pretty god damn jaw-dropping at the time. It took about 3 months for the grind to tarnish, shit-over, andeventually break my interest in the game and genre.

But that was way before it turned into the fat redneck e-chat monstrosity. The game was all about exploration and wonder and not getting your ass killed. I can see why Vanguard would want to recapture that feeling, but I don't have the time or interest for it.

You should go get a TotalFark account, sweatpants fatties ruin everything on the internet - it is their way.

DarkSign

Erudite
EQ1 was an amazing experience. Exploration, comradery, danger, tension, and good times.

I played for over 5 years and dont regret one minute of it. People who lament their EQ experience either werent good enough at it to get into a guild or had some puerille temper tantrum moment and stormed out of the game in a huff.

Was it the best writing in the world? No. Did it have decent, strategic gameplay? Yes. Were the 200-person raids fair to all involved? No. Was it an amazing experience? Yes.

The OP sounds like a whiny bastard. Just my 2 cp.

psycojester

Arbiter
If they had just stripped the leveling out of Everquest it would be a kick arse game, they could use the EVE-online training system but for levels.

obediah

Erudite
DarkSign said:
EQ1 was an amazing experience. Exploration, comradery, danger, tension, and good times.

I played for over 5 years and dont regret one minute of it. People who lament their EQ experience either werent good enough at it to get into a guild or had some puerille temper tantrum moment and stormed out of the game in a huff.

Was it the best writing in the world? No. Did it have decent, strategic gameplay? Yes. Were the 200-person raids fair to all involved? No. Was it an amazing experience? Yes.

Did you keep playing after they put the bowling lane bumpers in the game? I was back home summer of 2005, and my cousin was bitching about her hick boyfriend playing the Everquest too much. I shuddered at the thought how far the game must have fallen to attract that worthless pile of Springer shit.

Perishiko

Scholar
I tried everquest back in the day. I was actually having a bit of fun making a shit load of creatures follow me to kill groups of people... That, and cliff diving into some water area that seemed to be within a cave.

I got pissed as shit at people in that game though... I ended up getting banned for life and never played any other mmo like it. (Edit: More or less due to the time and money required to get expansions, better computer, and monthly $$.)

I ended up telling some bastard that I'd rape him and his family... Turns out, his mother was violently raped and told some GM(?) Upon the arrival of the guy... he told me I was to be banned for so and so weeks.

When I asked him why, he said he couldn't repeat what I said, so I called him a jackass. He then replied by trying to use some witty words. He didn't know how to spell them correctly. It was then I called him a jackass who couldn't spell. (I do believe this guy was simply some kid they put in "charge")

The rest is history.

And just for the record, I played Guild wars and loved it for quite a while. My comps not good enough to play as competitive as I'd like, so I quit. 1-2 second lag spikes happened all too often. Damn my 1999 computer.

DarkSign

Erudite
obediah said:
DarkSign said:

Did you keep playing after they put the bowling lane bumpers in the game? I was back home summer of 2005, and my cousin was bitching about her hick boyfriend playing the Everquest too much. I shuddered at the thought how far the game must have fallen to attract that worthless pile of Springer shit.

I left in early 2005 after Crimson Tempest guild split due to raiding rules and then the splinter group I left with disbanded. Looking back on EQ...could it have been better? Sure. Did it advance the genre? Yep. Did I have a better time early on? Of course.

Hindsight and improved MMORPG standards might cause you to decry EQ as bad, but it wouldnt be fair. There were good times to be had. Im glad I didnt experience the end when it totally fell off the rails though.

Quigs

Magister

I agree. Some of my funnest time was with a small group of friends dicking around.

Unfortunately, you couldnt keep playing with just a small group of friends. to keep leveling up, you had to raid, and as a matter of course, get dicked over.

It was odd that the most important class was the Warrior, but was also the most dicked over time and time again by guilds.

zodden

Scholar
Played in mid 1999 to about March 2000. I was totally awestruck by the game because it was the first time I had ever been able to really play a computer game with other people at the same time, and normal ones-not like the battlenet fucked up scipt kiddies from original diablo who had all these cheats and shit and could only speak in one word sentances.

These people were mostly adults and so I got pretty addicted for awhile. Nothing compared to what my WoW addiction became, but I was really taken in. My WoW addiction is surprising because all the fucked up battlenet kids from diablo never aged and all seemed to wind up on my first server :D

Limorkil

Liturgist
I played Everquest, Asheron's Call, Lineage 2, WoW. They were all good at first but inevitably you get to the point where you have to join a guild of nazi fuckwits to get any further. Good games, shitty people. This is why I will not be playing any new MMOs - the games are fine, but the people always make the game crap.

The best one? Asheron's Call - simply because you did not have to group with people to enjoy it. In other words, it was best because it was the best single-player game, which means playing a MMO is pointless if the thing that governs your enjoyment the most is the single-player element. That said, Asheron's Call and WoW are actually better RPGs than most single-player RPGs that come out these days. But I would not play AC because it is too dated (is it even still going?) and I would not play WoW because of the stupid evil blond elves they recently added to "pretty up" the horde faction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom