Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mythos details are announced

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Mythos

<a href=http://www.gamasutra.com>Gamasutra</a> has posted some <a href=http://mythos.com/>Mythos</a> <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13243>details</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Mythos is a freely downloadable online RPG that, according to the company "is currently exercising the online technology and services behind the multiplayer component of the highly-anticipated action role-playing game Hellgate: London." Mythos will be digitally distributed by Flagship Studios' subsidiary Ping0, LLC in North America and Europe in 2007. HanbitSoft, Flagship Studios’ partner in Ping0, will be responsible for distributing Mythos in Asia.
<br>
<br>
In Mythos, players will be given the choice of one of three races (human, elves, or gremlins), and like Diablo, will set upon an point and click role-playing adventure through randomized isometric dungeons. According to Flagship, the game will be suited for both single and multiplayer gameplay.
<br>
<br>
Diablo's influences on the upcoming game make sense, given that Diablo producer Bill Roper left Blizzard in 2003 to found Flagship Studios with a number of other senior Blizzard figures, and that project director Travis Baldree was the lead designer on WildTangent's Fate.
<br>
<br>
“For Mythos, we started with the revolutionary style of gameplay we pioneered in the Diablo franchise," commented Phil Shenk, creative director of Mythos and founding member of Flagship Studios. "Then, by offering it free to download and play, we make it even more accessible to players."
<br>
<br>
He added: "By designing the Mythos world from the ground-up to be an ever-changing place, we can quickly and seamlessly implement new ideas from a variety of inspirations. Through the continued support of the Flagship community, we are striving to create what will be one of the most innovative role-playing games of recent years.”</blockquote>It will be interesting to see what they can come up with.
<br>

Seboss

Liturgist
I played two alpha sessions so far and it plays and feels pretty much like Fate with multiplayer. Nothing ground-breaking so far but very enjoyable despite the shitloads of bugs and half-implemented features.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You have FATE UNLOCK CODE? So now you can PLAY FATE FOR FREE? That's pretty awesome.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This is the first real press release. There was an announcement made awhile back but it had no details.

I've been playing the Alpha for over a month now. It's a pretty fun game, like Fate is. You can play it alone if you want to, or party up with 5 other players and clear out dungeons.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shagnak said:
The game is looking good. And "free to download and play"? Groovy.

MythosGuru already, Sol? You move fast :D
Does free download mean the same as free game? or are there monthly fees?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Mythos is free to download, and free to play. There are no monthly fees.

Oh yeah, MythosGuru has been up for as long as the game has been in alpha. Almost. Heh.

If you're interested in finding out more about Mythos, I've put up the game's manual which you can check out here. I need to redesign the site, but this'll do for now.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I'm curious... if it's free to download and play, what's their revenue model? Ads of some kind? Micropayments for special stuff?

Ryuken

Liturgist
It's supposed to act as a big testing case for the Flagship network structure. From a FS-interview:

FiringSquad: Will the game be free to download and play or will there be a fee involved in playing Mythos?

Phil Shenk: Yes! It will be free to download and play. We want as many people as possible playing Mythos and having fun. Anyone will be able to play the game free, for as long as they like, and have access to most of the game’s content. Beyond that, we’re still considering economic models. We have some ideas, but one thing we know for sure is that we are committed to a significant free-to-play model. We want for lots of people to have fun playing this game, and we think the best way to do that is to offer up a huge chunk of it for free.
Rejoice! I didn't find it too shabby either during two of the Alpha sessions I could play. This way we hopefully won't see DiabloII-like server meltdowns for Hellgate: London.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They've not decided on their revenue model yet, but I'd wager that it'll be in the form of microtransactions for special content. Not a bad way to go about business, really.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I think it is more to test out their code base for Hellgate: London than anything else.

jplestat

Novice
Funny thing is that Mythos may turn our to be better. more fun and more popular than their flagship Hellgate Londodn product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom