Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime 3.5 or Pathfinder

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Which is better and why? Discuss!!!

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
If you can't list any reasons why Pathfinder is better, I'm forced to assume it isn't.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you can't list any reasons why Pathfinder is better, I'm forced to assume it isn't.

3.5 is a very complex system. Way too complex and with too many variables to meaningfully discuss balance. It downright requires a GM and a gaming group which are honest and ready to make sure everybody is within the same ballpark in terms of power level. Adult players, in other words.

Pathfinder is just a version of it that plays to it's strengths more (additional customization options, breakdown of large packages into chunks so you can make more of the fun character generation choices) that also fixes some issues that were hard to circumvent in 3.5.

It is a tighter, larger version that expands on 3.5's strengths while owning up to the fact that its flaws are there to stay - and must be circumvented by the players.

(also, adventure paths)

deuxhero

Arcane
Pathfinder adds as many problems as it solves (CMB/CMD makes the rules on things it covers way easier to work out, but the tested it so poorly it's impossible to use at higher levels because monsters have tons of HD/BAB), but the biggest advantage is that the rules content is all free (and the wiki will give the fluff anyways) and even if you did have all the 3.5 books as PDFs, easier to search as a whole system instead of just one book at a time.

Be sure to use Dreamscarred Presses stuff, it's way better balanced and thought out than 1st party PF stuff.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Gotta say, I prefer Pathfinder. Adventure Paths are enjoyable fun, and truth be told, alot of the stuff they give you is so mutable that it's pretty easy to make your own changes to fit the adventure to how you want to play it.
Beyond that, I kinda prefer the Pathfinder system to 3.5. Maybe it's just familiarity or something, but I do like it a lot better.

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Both are shit compared to AD&D 2nd Edition

There is some truth to that. 3rd ED is more like computer rule system than tabletop. IMO player characters feels much more disconnected from players due to the many skills and the way rules are explained. Back when 3rd ed was out my players played by the book e.g. player would just say "I bluff the gard" and rolled the dice, or "I steal his stuff" and rolled again. Same player playing aDnD would explained in detail how he steals the stuff or he would tought of clever line to bluff the guard. In the end I couldn't relearn them how to properly roleplay and I lost the interest in the game. Also rules are more complex and I didn't want to spend 8 hours a day preparing a weekly session.

IMO, the more complex rules are the less roleplaying there is and the game become too slow and uninteresting. if I play D&D ever again it would be the original D&D or aDnD 2ed.

baturinsky

Arcane
Back when 3rd ed was out my players played by the book e.g. player would just say "I bluff the gard" and rolled the dice, or "I steal his stuff" and rolled again. Same player playing aDnD would explained in detail how he steals the stuff or he would tought of clever line to bluff the guard. In the end I couldn't relearn them how to properly roleplay and I lost the interest in the game. Also rules are more complex and I didn't want to spend 8 hours a day preparing a weekly session.

I would say them that I need more details about how they do it, so I can properly set bonuses/penalties to roll (can't remember how it's called properly in D&D3. DC or something?). If they come with plausible lie they gonna feed to guard, they have huge bonus. If they going to justclaim to be guard's commander, big penalty. Etc.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was wondering if anyone here have managed to attain any experience with the new D&D system at all? How does it hold up to Pathfinder?
Paging Grunker specifically, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about these things.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, sorry. I'm definetely planning on running a 5e game, but with my thesis and Way of the Wicked I haven't had the time at all. Will try to report once I get a game going.

Maybe Alex has checked it out?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I was wondering if anyone here have managed to attain any experience with the new D&D system at all? How does it hold up to Pathfinder?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...hot-recruiting-review-discussion.94110/page-3

I can at least confirm that it's fun with the right people.

5e is a playable game, and that's more than I can say about its immediate predecessor. It is missing a lot of the depth of 3.5/Pathfinder, and the player doesn't get to make as many choices. Ability scores are a lot more important, since all d20 rolls seem to be influenced only by your ability score modifier and a meager proficiency bonus. I felt pigeonholed when it came to choosing my race and buying my ability scores; you'll probably spend all your points in your spellcasting ability score, Constitution, and either Dexterity or Strength, depending on what kind of armor you wear. The feats you can choose from are much better than those of 3.x, but you won't get nearly as many - every fourth level, you'll have to make a very difficult decision between +2 to an ability score or gaining a feat.

Spellcasting is different. One change I like is that you can spontaneously cast from the spells you have prepared, instead of memorizing each in a specific slot. Many spells now have a duration of "concentration", meaning that the spell ends if you cast another concentration spell or take damage and fail a Constitution check. One change I really don't like is that spell effects only scale if you cast them in a higher-level slot, instead of doing so automatically; no one who knows what he's doing will ever actually do this.

My favorite thing about 5e is the backgrounds. These help you determine your character's personality, and also what skills your character has. This also means that no one's forced to play a Rogue anymore, since any character can choose the Criminal background and get proficiency with thief skills. Due to the smallness of the proficiency bonus, however, there isn't a huge difference between a character with proficiency and one without it; at level 4, the proficiency bonus only gives you +2 to your rolls, and only gets up to +6 by level cap. I feel like no character will ever be truly great at anything, just moderately better than others.

Overall, my impression of 5e is that it's okay. It takes some steps forward, but for each it takes two steps back. I'd play it if it were the only option, but if given the choice I'd pick 3.5 or Pathfinder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom