Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Baltika9

Arcane
A2

Rex Feral

Prophet
In face of character development and possibly finding out more about other characters and the situation we find ourselves in, codexers choose to run away. Because that will surely go well. :greatjob:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I flinched just reading the update.
Is it because I was right about Taketatsu being a bad apple from the start? Or is it because I was right about...oh, hang on, you have a phone call:
taken-phone.JPG
:M

As much as I think that we should cut off the hand immediately before we suffer worse, I can't justify it. Not yet.
Grow a pair: A4>A2

I think Uehara knows what's up. She reacted to the bell earlier and seemed to know how the ghost would react when we gave her the charm. I vote for dismemberment. It'll grow back tomorrow night anyway...probably.
I have not watched the Evil Dead
Um, then watch it? Seriously, bro, it's pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Because that will surely go well. :greatjob:
Nothing goes well on the Codex. Nothing.

Is it because I was right about Taketatsu being a bad apple from the start? Or is it because I was right about...oh, hang on, you have a phone call:
Yeah, had that call already. Except I thought it was a wake up call to tell us that a Liam Nii-san we aren't.

There are 22 hours still left to go, but only 3 limbs.

Grow a pair: A4>A2
Why bother? You'll get it cut off just the same. :M

I think Uehara knows what's up. She reacted to the bell earlier and seemed to know how the ghost would react when we gave her the charm.
I prefer to hear Sakaki first. Assuming he still lives.

Um, then watch it? Seriously, bro, it's pretty awesome.
I, uh, am not a fan of horror movies. Very impressionable, and all that stuff. :oops:

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Evil Dead is not horror. It's comedy. Seriously. First time I watched it, I was laughing so hard it actually hurt. Was rolling on the floor, literally, couldn't stop.

WATCH IT! :D

Well, that would be Evil Dead 3, Army of Darkness. The first two are also entertaining, but they never cracked me up the way #3 did.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

In fairness, Evil Dead 1 is a horror movie. Just one that is so campy that it is funny. Evil dead 2 is borderline hilarious at times and has a lot of clear joke moments without losing its core as a horror movie. Evil dead 3 is a straight up comedy.

Also, it's worth noting that the famous hand scene is in 2 and that 2 is a remake of 1. So, if horror movies aren't your cup of tea, I'd recommend watching 2 and 3.

Nevill,
Pretty sure we just pulled some awesome assassination skills. The fact that we got bit had more to do with our opponent's supernatural nature than a lack of Neeson-ness.I mean, unless you think an average person with assassination fantasies could pull off what we just did. I know I couldnt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Pretty sure we just pulled some awesome assassination skills.
To me it looked like pulling awesome kung-fu skills in a western. Wrong genre, pal. *shot*

But I am a pessimist like that.

Seriously, though, is it really assassination skills we need to deal with the supernatural? I don't dispute that those might come in handy when dealing with human opponents, but maybe we shouldn't practice them on ghosts and zombies?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
“No… I will come along, and on my own terms,” you state, sounding more confident than you feel. “I-I won’t be pushed around, not like this. I will not be tied up, and I will… I will not let you cut off my hand.” You breathe heavily, your injured hand trembling at the effort of speaking up, though you do not find enough courage in yourself to hold Taketatsu’s gaze for long.

“Shinoseki-san made the effort to help us out just now,” says Okuyama. “Let’s not be too suspicious, shall we?”

Seeing no support from the others, not even Maeda, Taketatsu snorts dismissively. “Fine. But if anything happens, it’s not my fault. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Huh. Not just a meek little rabbit after all, are you, Shinoseki?” grunts Mori. “Alright, there’s no more time to waste! Let’s get back to the lobby, but keep an eye out for any of those-“ he scowls “-moving corpses.”

track:ten

The echoes of laughter follow you, like a lingering scent, as you make your way down the bloody corridors of the hospital. The numerous bodies that you saw on the way are now missing – everyone is on edge and silent, keeping their eyes and ears alert for any sign of danger. The expected threat does not materialize, even when you reach the ground floor where the lobby is located.

“Well… no signs of the missing dead yet,” chuckles Sakimura. “That’s a small blessing in itself…”

“Don’t count that too early, kid,” mutters Mori. Having led the way, he is the first to see the new addition to the lobby.

In the center of the great hall, in front of the fountain, is a small Shinto altar, of the sort you would normally see at shrines. The mirror within is cracked and black. The white cloth laid over the wooden frame is spattered with blood and bound with thick, grayish-red strings, and beneath the small hut, where the offerings would normally be found, there is a large, bronze bowl filled to the brim with a murky, reddish liquid with numerous blobs of yellow. The urge to gag rises at the back of your throat, and you take an involuntary step back. Those are globules of fat, and the ‘strings’ binding the cloth are nothing else than guts. Human guts, by the looks of it.

Mori seems to be the second to realize it; he holds out his arm and says, “Stay back. I’ll take a look at it.” It looks like the others have yet to understand what they are looking at. It takes a second later for Tokigawa and Okuyama to understand, and they immediately back away, their faces pale.

“What? What is that disgusting altar?” asks Maeda worriedly.

“It’s… it’s a human offering,” rasps Okuyama, her voice thin and fearful.

“How can we be sure?” replies Taketatsu skeptically, though the creasing of his brow indicates his own worry over the matter. “It could… it could belong to an animal of some sort.”

“Whatever it is, it’s supernatural nonsense,” sighs Uehara. She seems to be doing well in maintaining a calm composure at a time like this. “Look, we are trapped in a hospital with something that killed so many people. A psychotic guy like that would do something like build a creepy altar with his victims.”

“Supernatural nonsense?” Maeda shakes her head disbelievingly. “I am not one to be prone to superstition, but we were just attacked by the dead. We can’t dismiss it as mere nonsense!”

“There is no need to abandon a scientific explanation, even so,” shrugs Uehara.

“But-“

Their debate is cut short by an audible, sharp intake of breath from Mori. Something has shaken even the stoic man.

“What is it, Mori-san?” asks Tokigawa.

“No… it is nothing. Stay where you are,” he responds.

You crane your head forward to look at the altar. It seems that Mori’s movement has inadvertently stirred the bowl, and made some other parts of the human anatomy float to the surface. Pale flesh, and a darker… a nipple. You blink your eyes. The bowl is filled with someone’s – probably a woman – breasts. That would explain the lumps of fat, you think detachedly.

“Whose are those?” you ask quietly.

It seems Mori picks up on your question, as he shakes his head. “I… have no idea.” He seems to be disturbed by this discovery, even when he managed to keep his calm in the face of an undead doctor. “But such a scene, even if it may not be exactly the same in details, should be familiar to us, eh? You should know.”

“Me? I… I have no idea what you are talking about,” you say truthfully.

“Oh, I was not implying anything,” says Mori, his back still turned to you. You get the feeling that he was implying something, but you know if you try to bring it up he will deny he meant anything by that comment. “I was talking about the disappearances that happened two years ago. I meant that surely you would have read about it in the news. It was something of international interest, after all.” Even though he states that with casual confidence, the event is not something you recall, though your memory has so many holes that it does not surprise you.

“Mori-san… the main doors are open,” Okuyama points out suddenly.

Mori jerks his head up – distracted by the altar, no one had noticed it, but the main doors leading out of the lobby are now open. You can see the gardened path beyond, leading out of the hospital.

“This is… when was it…” he mutters.

“I think it was already open when we came here. It’s just that the sight of the altar was too… shocking…” explains Okuyama.

“Did the others leave already?” asks Tokigawa. “Maybe that’s why they aren’t here.”

“Hey, guys!” shouts Sakimura. “There’s a note here from Sakaki-san!” He holds up a crumpled letter that has fallen behind one of the comfortable leather couches in the lobby, and begins reading it out aloud.

Dear all,

The main doors have – mysteriously – opened. Though it may be more prudent to wait for your return before leaving, I find that the chances of getting outside help earlier outweigh the disadvantages. To that end, I will be venturing out to seek exit and aid.

Yours truly,

Sakaki Okitsu

The letter does not mention any of the others. Did they leave with Sakaki? It did not seem that way from the way he worded his letter, but if they remained here, why would he need to write one when he could have just have the others inform your group? As you ponder the strange letter, Taketatsu speaks up.

“The door is open. What are we waiting for? We should go.”

“I agree,” Okuyama nods, her eyes red and on the verge of tears. “There is nothing served by remaining in this hellish place any longer!”

“I don’t know, maybe we should stay here and wait for help,” says Tokigawa. “We don’t know if it is safe outside either.”

“We could barricade ourselves into the cafeteria,” shrugs Sakimura. “Right, Uehara?”

“Actually, I think we should search the hospital a bit longer before leaving. We… can’t leave anyone behind, can we?” replies Uehara.

“That’s stupid,” says Taketatsu coldly. “Anyone who has not already escaped is probably dead.”

“It might not be so bad, Shinichi. There is something wrong about this,” says Maeda.

Taketatsu sighs. “Even you, Nami-san? What would your father say?”

“My father is not here,” she bristles. “Besides, things would not have gotten to this state if-“

“Nami-san,” Taketatsu gives her a long stare from behind his spectacles, his voice a quiet, hushed whisper. “It’s not our responsibility to fix the problems of other people, okay? You have to understand that.”

“What do you think, Mori-san? Should we stay here for a while and wait to see if Sakaki-san returns, or leave?” asks Tokigawa.

“We could also try searching the hospital one more time, and be more careful this time,” suggests Uehara.

“I don’t know,” comes Mori’s curt reply. He is still standing by the altar and staring at it; all the others have given the edifice a wide berth. “I don’t think any path of action that we choose will be that simple, but I will go along with the majority on this.”

All of their attention then turns to you. You gulp – your throat feels dry. “W-What?” You cradle your injured hand and stare back at them.

“What do you want to do, Shinoseki-san?” asks Uehara.

02:00

A. Investigate the hospital one more time for clues or survivors.

B. Stay in the lobby for a while to rest and await help.

C. Leave the hospital through the front door.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sakaki's Note

Dear all,

The main doors have – mysteriously – opened. Though it may be more prudent to wait for your return before leaving, I find that the chances of getting outside help earlier outweigh the disadvantages. To that end, I will be venturing out to seek exit and aid.

Yours truly,

Sakaki Okitsu

Parts of the note have been stained in blood, though the writing is steady and clear. It seems to have been written with a pencil.

Nevill

Arcane
I am with Uehara. I do not believe the hospital is in a physical location. I do not think we can just leave while Ikei and Kaimei remain entangled and expect to end up home.

I also do not think any others have 'escaped' with Sakaki. We know that at least Amanozaki came here because there was something wrong with this place. Why would she simply leave after confirming that fact?

We are not done here. Besides, I am not supporting that asshole.

A.

Though Taketatsu is free to go alone. No one is holding him up. Shoo, shoo!

I am kind of wondering, though. Does Uehara think that by not believing in the malicious spirits she denies them power over her? Sakimura said something to that effect.

“My father is not here,” she bristles. “Besides, things would not have gotten to this state if-“

“Nami-san,” Taketatsu gives her a long stare from behind his spectacles, his voice a quiet, hushed whisper. “It’s not our responsibility to fix the problems of other people, okay? You have to understand that.”
This bit is interesting, too, though I have no idea what they mean. They are probably referring to something related to the Kaimei group.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I doubt it. Or at least I hope that's not how it is.

The lobby is leading to the courtyard, right? There is a chance that this path will lead us to another building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom