Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
can we use these physical techniques such as the Battle Aura without having to summon Barbatos?

Yes.

Also, can we challenge Nostrus directly instead?

He'd send his knight to fight you. He'd be confident about it too as he thinks you're all about magic.

lightbane

Arcane
You know treave, since Erd is constantly changing/updating/enhancing/mutating his appearance (and he's bound to change even more as time passes), it would be good IMO to have at the end of his sheet a general description of his current physical appearance, Corruption of Champions style. Of course, you don't have to be THAT descriptive if you don't like the idea.

lightbane

Arcane
Two thoughts on this.

First, the safest duel, in my opinion, is Leila against our boy Arlin. She is Farland's adjutant, so his head-shaking that we shouldn't duel anyone is moot if we duel his own second. No hard feelings between bros. Yet it will serve as a WTF moment for the crowd when our little boy wins with our help. They'll be wondering what we cn do, if our meekest servants can beat a trained warrior. It also gives him some EXP, too...

Well, I believe Leila is likely to be way stronger than mr. Nostrils' knight bodyguard, to the point of easily surpassing Arlin (and I bet she would be able to easily spot when we are about to use our magic). Actually, that reminds me: how would Erd plan to help his disciple? IIRC, we don't have too many support spells, for not to mention the many mages gathered here are bound to notice something's off if we attempt to cheat.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IIRC, we don't have too many support spells, for not to mention the gathering of mages is bound to notice something if we cheat.
I don't think it is very important as Arlin dueling anyone is a mockery of a concept anyway. So what if we help him a bit? He is a 14-year old, what do they expect?

Besides, at least two out of three mages are not involved in the Crown Prince's plot (to our knowledge) and thus have no reason to mention anything.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
We don't want to go all out, that much is clear. We are being baited, and we are being baited without any good understanding of any of the major players in the baiting and watching. We know nothing about the archmages, Nostrus, etc. And Farland says no. E.g. if we take on Julius (and then our gauntlet will start yelling in front of everyone)...

But I don't think it's ideal to be shown as a coward, either. We want to have some way to influence this upcoming adventuring party. We want to be able to maintain some ambiguity about our power so that we aren't shut out of interesting things or killed out of them.

The two easiest ways to trick the bait would be to do swordsplay or use Arlin. The problem is, as mentioned, swordplay is likely to get our hat thrown off - the biggest no-no here. I'm not sure how Arlin would go, but it may well reinforce the "WTF" feeling. I expect that at least the archmages will be able to tell we are using magic to help him, however.

Viable options are A1/2 & E1/2, I think. I don't think Elmont himself has any weird tricks. They likely think that skilled as we are, we won't be able to beat Elmont in a fair fight - even Alexander thinks so, and he is relatively favourably disposed to us right now. Another option would be, as Nevill says, to call out Nostrus. Even if he sends a representative, it is still a way to turn the tables: instead of a serious match where they want to test our magical powers to the max or do us harm, the talking point of the match will become whether this lackadaiscal foreigner can embarrass the stuck-up noble at his own game. If we do it right with minimal revelations, we will leave our powers ambiguous without embarrassing ourselves.

E2 > E1 > A1 > A2.

ScubaV

Prophet
I like Nevill's logic here. We could probably smash anyone here except the two archmages, but revealing that strength would be a mistake. I'm not too enamored with losing on purpose or declining altogether either so E1 Nostril sounds good.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Personally challenge all-comers to a drinking contest.

Unfortunately they won't go for that, a bit too many stuck up ponces around to agree to such a contest. You'll have better luck proposing such a thing in Galbaldy, when you visit that place.

You know treave, since Erd is constantly changing/updating/enhancing/mutating his appearance (and he's bound to change even more as time passes), it would be good IMO to have at the end of his sheet a general description of his current physical appearance, Corruption of Champions style. Of course, you don't have to be THAT descriptive if you don't like the idea.

I'll consider it, but there are too many fashions in the world to update it frequently. Maybe for big changes like growing another two pairs of wings.

Esquilax

Arcane
Not sure if I like the idea of challenging Nostrils. Like it or not, the man's blood is blue and our's is peasant red. There are unwritten rules here (which is why backing out is probably a bad idea, and Nostrils knows it), and a move like this will likely turn the room and the other nobles, against us. I'd rather play it straight, to be honest.

Need some more time to think about it, going with A2 for now.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
E1(Nostrus)>F

Although challenging Julius to a melee fight would be good entertainment for the nobles, I think we don't want to give away our abilities at this point. But then again, do we still plan to fuck it and flee to wilderness (mercenary route)? If so, then it could a be good idea to scout strongest opponents in here.

Nevill

Arcane
Like it or not, the man's blood is blue and our's is peasant red.
Our boy's blood is peasant red. The blood of archmages may as well be royal purple, because no one can call them peasants to their face. Also, no one knows who we are and where we come from - we could easily be a royalty in exile for all they care.

I do think that most of the nobles here are not our friends anyway, and Erdrick has a tendency to make people he does not like quite mad, so I have very few illusions about maintaining amiable relationships with the uppity folk. I mean, I doubt the 'Dex would play nice with Nostrils given half the chance to teach him a lesson. I sure wouldn't.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Technically Arl is most likely secret royalty/hero material, but it's irrelevant here anyway. And it's a given nobles will be against us, doubly so once they learn of Erd's dubious nature and his let's say "money-making tendencies". Seriously, so far it seems he was being a complete dick before and during his "hero phase" most of the time. Chances are he was going to become an Overlord/ Evil guy TM no matter what, once he realized it's way more profitable than being a hero.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I'll consider it, but there are too many fashions in the world to update it frequently. Maybe for big changes like growing another two pairs of wings the missing wing, Erd's hair becoming white as snow, his eyes crimson red and his skin acquiring an otherwordly beauty.

Fixed. Acquiring more angelic traits as our trannysformation advances would count as a big change, no? After that, if we keep growing more wings and the like, we'll do something about it. By the way, I'll update my votes to the following:

E2 (us vs Nostrils)>E1 (Arlin vs Nostrils)>A2>E1 (Arlin vs Leila for the lulz)>E2 (Erd vs Leila, unlikely for the challenge to be accepted).

GreyViper

Prophet
(Arlin vs Nostrils)>A2>E1 (Arlin vs Leila for the lulz)>E2 What ever has the most votes, gets mine.
Since we took the kid along, lets use him and keep our enemies in dark about our strength. Because this is test of strength and cunning.
Btw Im curious would Nostrils still send an adjutant when hes against a, boy?

Nevill

Arcane
Btw Im curious would Nostrils still send an adjutant when hes against a, boy?
Well, the way I would have played it is I would accept the challenge and choose Nostrils as an opponent. He would naturally delegate the duty to the knight and look all smug about it, thinking that we are a wuss in physical combat. Then we would delegate the duty to Arlin, presumably because the knight looks so wimpy he is only fit to face a kid.

If we are going to make a fool out of Nostrils, we should do it with style. :M
Baltika9 C2
Nevill E1L>E1N
Kz3r0 E1N
lightbane E2N>E1N>A2>E1L>E2L
Kipeci A2
Azira E1N>F
Elfberserker A2
asxetos D2
Gobblecock E2L>E1L
archaen D2
Storyfag E1N>A2
Rex Feral D2>E1N
Tigranes E1N>A2
Grimgravy E1N>E2N
ScubaV E1N
Esquilax A2
TOME E1N>F
Greyviper E1N>A2>E1L>E2x
wjw E1N>E1L

Votes are tallied like this:
Vote - X [raw number of votes] - (p. Y [potential total number of votes]) - (Z [current number of votes due to flops])

A2 - 3 - (p. 7)
C2 - 1
D2 - 3 - (p. 3) - (2) Rex Feral -> E1N
E1L - 1 - (p. 5) - (0) Nevill -> E1N
E1N - 9 - (p. 12) - (12)
E2L - 1 - (p. 2)
E2N - 1 - (p. 2) - (0) lightbane ->E1N

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
That actually works very well. Since treave has confirmed Nostrils would delegate, that is the one situation where delegating to Arlin doesn't look batshit.

Amend vote to E2 Nostrils > A1.

Nevill

Arcane
Are you bros sure you got the numbers right? From what you are writing I get a feeling you want either Arlin vs. Nostril, or us vs. Elmont - which is the opposite of what you vote for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom